Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

Is there some way to stop the Twitter app from automatically jumping to the most recent tweet in your feed? It's really annoying to open the app after an hour or two, have it jump up, then have to scroll down so I can resume reading chronologically.

Honestly, if you have any problems with the official app, your best best is to just use one of the two far better apps: Twitterrific or Tweetbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

So apparently Apple has brought in Trent Reznor to help redesign Apple Music. I have no idea how he's qualified to help out with such a task, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/05/apple-music-reportedly-getting-redesigned-will-be-unveiled-at-wwdc-2016/

Also a couple throwaway lines about trying to make iTunes less lovely, but we all know how that is going to play out.

Honestly the problem with Apple Music imo isn't that it's not intuitive or the look/feel. For me it was failing on me two times in times I depended on it to work, including one time when I explicitly saved some albums to listen to on a 8 hour plane ride only to find out on the plane that "I couldn't access my (saved) music with airplane mode turned on and without a data connection." Like what the hell. I know for every complaint like me there are approx 42-69 other people saying shrug it worked fine for them but the fact that it can happen at all is unacceptable.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly the problem with Apple Music imo isn't that it's not intuitive or the look/feel. For me it was failing on me two times in times I depended on it to work, including one time when I explicitly saved some albums to listen to on a 8 hour plane ride only to find out on the plane that "I couldn't access my (saved) music with airplane mode turned on and without a data connection." Like what the hell. I know for every complaint like me there are approx 42-69 other people saying shrug it worked fine for them but the fact that it can happen at all is unacceptable.

i just want to add some songs to it on another computer without having to delete my entire library for some dumb loving reason

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
All the cloud music services/apps being so terrible is why I built my own loving server.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Has Apple Music widened its selection?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

i just want to add some songs to it on another computer without having to delete my entire library for some dumb loving reason

The dumb loving reason is the dumb loving music industry so, yeah. I honestly haven't had any trouble with this in like 10 years of Apple music stuff ownership (Apple Music kills ipod classics btw). And now with Apple Music it's just like, hear a cool song, search for it in music.app and click add. It's really kickass.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Has Apple Music widened its selection?

It still has basically the same selection as all the other streaming services

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Weedle posted:

It still has basically the same selection as all the other streaming services

When I was a member, it had barely half of what Spotify had. Almost all of my imported playlists had enormous gaps in them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

When I was a member, it had barely half of what Spotify had. Almost all of my imported playlists had enormous gaps in them.

All I know is that they both offer ~30 million tracks and that I was able to find almost every single one of my hundreds of albums, many quite obscure, on both Spotify and Apple Music. Nobody but you is going to be able to tell you whether it's better for your specific library. As far as your playlists, did you actually search manually for the stuff it couldn't find? I suspect that whatever hacked-up third-party solution for transferring playlists from one service to another probably didn't find everything, even if it's available.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I've just tried checking it out and a large percentage of music from my playlists on Spotify isn't on Apple Music at all. Not even that the artists didn't put some songs there, but that the artists just don't exist on AM. O'll give it a go a bit later if it improves.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess you're going to have to find another option for your Peruvian flute death metal. Sorry, daddy!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I want you to please stop calling me daddy it makes me uncomfortable and I don't like it

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Sorry to resurrect a recent topic, but is there something wrong with Dashlane? I had been using it and didn't see many problems. I was just thinking of subscribing when I read this thread. Instead, I started shifting everything over to 1password but stopped because I wasn't sure why Dashlane wasn't recommended. Am I missing something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dashlane isn't as good as paprika, overcast, or whatsapp so it gets passed over.

But seriously, it's just not as popular as 1Password or LastPass. A password manager isn't that crazy of an app and the only things distinguishing the big two are business model and minor UI differences so why wouldn't you go with the one of those you prefer like everyone else except the spergiest Linux weirdo who must use keepass? But if you want, use dashlane. I'm sure it's just fine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Dashlane is just fine, I've been using it since the whole scare got everyone using these things in the first place.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Holy gently caress Noteshelf with Apple Pencil is mind blowingly awesome.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Holy gently caress Noteshelf with Apple Pencil is mind blowingly awesome.

Yeah, the guy who wrote it really focused on "ink flow" for that, and it made it stand above most of the others even with a plain stylus. With the Pencil, it's absolute magic.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Question about the Friendly App, the Facebook alternative thingy. When using this in conjunction with Swiftkey - having granted Swiftkey full access - Friendly forces me to use the old rubbish keyboard. I seem to remember a way to use both of them in conjunction but can't figure it out. Anyone know? I've had a look through both apps' settings & Googled it but had no success. Cheers babies.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
What's the Goon Favorite iOS (iPad specifically) video player? Thinking about having something like this setup for a trip coming up

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

gariig posted:

What's the Goon Favorite iOS (iPad specifically) video player? Thinking about having something like this setup for a trip coming up

I'm a big fan of VLC. It works well with media shared from my laptop over wifi so I imagine it would work well with that setup too?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
nPlayer has never failed me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

cryptoclastic posted:

nPlayer has never failed me.

+1 for nPlayer; I've tried a bunch of players and nPlayer is one of the few that seem to have their poo poo together instead of being a janky hosed up mess of an interface.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I like Air Video HD

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What does the paid version of nPlayer let you do compared to free?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

What does the paid version of nPlayer let you do compared to free?

Seems to be mostly Dolby codec support, chromecast streaming, and no ads based on looking at the app description real quick. Is the free version recent? I don't remember there being one when I bought the full version

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Anyone have opinions on why Chunky over iComics or vice versa? I've been using iComics, but Chunky looks like it might offer more while looking uglier.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyone have opinions on why Chunky over iComics or vice versa? I've been using iComics, but Chunky looks like it might offer more while looking uglier.

Chunky is free so why not give it a try and see what you think?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell, google.

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/gboard-search-gifs-emojis-keyboard.html

A keyboard with embedded google searching.

I mean, the concept is kind of cool, they're kind of forcing multitasking into iOS, but given that keyboards in iOS can log every single key you enter, I really don't think hooking it up to a search engine is all that great an idea.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

xzzy posted:

What the hell, google.

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/gboard-search-gifs-emojis-keyboard.html

A keyboard with embedded google searching.

I mean, the concept is kind of cool, they're kind of forcing multitasking into iOS, but given that keyboards in iOS can log every single key you enter, I really don't think hooking it up to a search engine is all that great an idea.

I used this today. It is cool and good.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I wish I could just get wholesale the android keyboard in iOS.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
that keyboard is actually real good & lol if you don't think google already knows everything about you without keylogging you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's very good, feels as if it better recognizes what I'm swiping than the Microsoft one. Really doing a bang up job of making me happy I switched from Android when they keep bringing my favorite things over. Just get force touch (or whatever it's called) on the third party keyboards with haptic feedback and I'll be happy as a clam.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
they also address privacy concerns in the app description itself, so...

Privacy
We know the things you type on your phone are personal, so we’ve designed Gboard to keep your private information private.

What Gboard sends to Google:
• When you do a search, Gboard sends your query to Google’s web servers so Google can process your query and send you search results.
• Gboard also sends anonymous statistics to Google to help us diagnose problems when the app crashes and to let us know which features are used most often.

What Gboard doesn’t send to Google:
• Everything else. Gboard will remember words you type to help you with spelling or to predict searches you might be interested in, but this data is stored only on your device. This data is not accessible by Google or by any apps other than Gboard.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately, the force touch API isn't really available to 3p keyboards. Try scrubbing left/right on the space-bar to move the cursor around - it's a decent stand-in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Steely Glint posted:

Unfortunately, the force touch API isn't really available to 3p keyboards. Try scrubbing left/right on the space-bar to move the cursor around - it's a decent stand-in.

Hey that may actually work better! I found that the force touch to be a bit picky, sometimes it would fire up but others it wouldn't depending on if I was at the end of what I typed or in the middle... Couldn't dial it in totally. But that space bar scrub is dang near perfect.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Aren't third-party keyboards still super janky?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Kind of? OS 9 is leagues better than 8, but they still suffer from draconian memory limits and a messy keyboard API. Instances of the keyboard getting randomly replaced by the stock one or other such annoyances occur less frequently and can be further mitigated by trimming your active keyboard list.

Basically try it out, you may be surprised! Or not, depending.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wonder why gBoard isn't on the Canadian App Store yet..

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

maduin posted:

they also address privacy concerns in the app description itself, so...

Privacy
We know the things you type on your phone are personal, so we’ve designed Gboard to keep your private information private.

What Gboard sends to Google:
• When you do a search, Gboard sends your query to Google’s web servers so Google can process your query and send you search results.
• Gboard also sends anonymous statistics to Google to help us diagnose problems when the app crashes and to let us know which features are used most often.

What Gboard doesn’t send to Google:
• Everything else. Gboard will remember words you type to help you with spelling or to predict searches you might be interested in, but this data is stored only on your device. This data is not accessible by Google or by any apps other than Gboard.

Yeah you morons. Just insert the drat anal probe already. It feels great and they even say right on the box that it's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TraderStav posted:

It's very good, feels as if it better recognizes what I'm swiping than the Microsoft one. Really doing a bang up job of making me happy I switched from Android when they keep bringing my favorite things over.

Same! The google keyboard was one of the biggest things I missed from Android. Its gesture typing is so much better than Swype or Word Flow, at least in my experience. It just seems to get what I intended to type more often.