Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Segmentation Fault posted:

Shy doesn't someone make a Doom source port with a wad loader built in? Being able to go from Doom to Doom 2 to BTSX to whatever else on the fly would be great!
1. Writing a file system viewer in a custom GUI is a pain in the rear end
2. Unlike Quake, Doom wasn't written with the assumption that resources could be loaded/unloaded on-the-fly so there are probably tons of assumptions throughout the code that need to be corrected.

Woolie Wool posted:

The Spider Mastermind uses an actual gatling shotgun though.
:monocle: How have I never known that before!? I thought it was exactly the same as the chaingunners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

Looks like my guess from that earlier trailer was right - you're playing as the Doomguy in the new game. The UAC science-cult bad guys find you in a giant stone casket in the depths of hell, realize who you are, and decide to leave you sealed up, far away from anything important in a distant sub-base because it's obvious you'd be wrecking all of their poo poo otherwise.

Then someone wakes you up, and - unsurprisingly - poo poo gets wrecked. That's basically the long and short of the story. Can't wait to play it, hopefully tomorrow.

There was a flash during the opening which made it seem like Hell was reviving its own champion and powering him up, and you're going to have to go duke it out with him.

Seems decent enough. Doom doesn't need a good story really, just shotguns and cool demons.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't forget to check capitalization, since Linux cares deeply about that.

Yeah, I'm using tab completion so case shouldn't be the issue, but I'll double check anyway.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

david_a posted:

2. Unlike Quake, Doom wasn't written with the assumption that resources could be loaded/unloaded on-the-fly so there are probably tons of assumptions throughout the code that need to be corrected.

:monocle: How have I never known that before!? I thought it was exactly the same as the chaingunners.

Nope! She calls A_SPosAttack with each shot.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So Doom 4 follows on from the ending of Doom 64 then? That's kind of awesome.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I look forward to encountering whatever Doom 4's equivalent of ancient Jewish power armour and Moonbase Nazis are.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 12, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Want to pull the trigger on DO4M.

Someone sell me on Doom 3 BFG edition. I am having a hard time caring about it over The Old Blood, even with the GMG discount.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don't get Doom 3 BFG edition.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Unlucky7 posted:

Want to pull the trigger on DO4M.

Someone sell me on Doom 3 BFG edition. I am having a hard time caring about it over The Old Blood, even with the GMG discount.

The Old Blood :unsmigghh:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

You get No Rest for the Living with it, an official 9-level Doom 2 campaign made by the folks at Nerve Software, many of whom are from Rogue Entertainment (ie: Strife, Quake and Quake 2 expansions) when they folded.

Thaaaaat's about all I got. Otherwise you get Doom and Doom 2, again, but with the red crosses on boxes replaced with medicine pills, and the Wolf 3D maps in Doom 2 censored like crazy. Oh, and Doom 3, of course, being the game front-and-center in the name, but having not played that, I can't assert what really changed with it.

I went GMG for the discount more than BFG Edition, honestly.

Woolie Wool posted:

Also as much as I respect the effort that went into Sonic Robo Blast 2, it is more evidence that the series does not work in 3D.
Eh, I don't think it's necessarily a good case for that argument, given it was made in an engine that didn't support the series' primary feature - rolling down slopes to gain crazy amounts of speed and converting it into wicked air - like a skating game, if it were a 2D platformer.

At least, not until recently, though I've sorta disassociated myself with the team over the past year or two (or at the very least have been really drat inactive on it) so I can't say as I've seen first-hand how good or bad they are. Personally, my metric for that would be BlitzSonic, though nobody's made a proper game using that engine that didn't deliberately try to turn it into Unleashed instead, so I only really have how fun it was to dick around with the physics in the engine tests to go off of.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Watching DraQu play Doom 4 with upgraded melee kill speed, double jump, and air control powerups makes the game look much more enticing to me.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
The Lost Mission in BFG Edition is also cool tbh and has best hell segment.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I've been on a bender lately gathering up as many games with strong AI/Bot support for LAN shinanigans. I'm familiar with all the old standbys, but I'm trying to find bot mods for the following games/mods/whatever:

Quake
Quake 2
Action Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D (is Duke even MP friendly nowadays, though?)
CS 1.6

There are multiple options for just about each of these games, and I was curious to know what the thread uses (if anything).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nokiaman posted:

The Lost Mission in BFG Edition is also cool tbh and has best hell segment.

I remember playing about 5 minutes of that episode and thinking it's garbage but I could be wrong. It's been a while

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Friend posted:

Watching DraQu play Doom 4 with upgraded melee kill speed, double jump, and air control powerups makes the game look much more enticing to me.

Bethesda really, really cocked up the marketing. They should have shown it with increased speed powerups from the beginning.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I've been on a bender lately gathering up as many games with strong AI/Bot support for LAN shinanigans. I'm familiar with all the old standbys, but I'm trying to find bot mods for the following games/mods/whatever:

Quake
Quake 2
Action Quake 2
CS 1.6

There are multiple options for just about each of these games, and I was curious to know what the thread uses (if anything).

For Quake, cf. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123626484

Note that if you're playing NetQuake (non-QuakeWorld), the NetQuake version of FBCA is also a viable alternative to Omicron or FBX++. I put a link to that in the "alternatives" section at the end of the guide, but I haven't gotten around to actually thoroughly checking it out and integrating it into the rest of the guide.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

david_a posted:

Some of the builds used while developing Doom were capable of reloading a WAD from a network mapped share, so that levels could be tested "live" without constantly quitting out of the game. (This came out from one of the recent Romero/iD data dumps).

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Quake
Quake 2
Action Quake 2
CS 1.6

For Quake 2 I use good ol EraserBot: http://www.fileplanet.com/35414/30000/fileinfo/Eraser-Bot-1.01-(FINAL!) although it's very low on the skill scale (that's why I win matches sometimes :v:), the more advanced one is 3zb2: http://www.angelfire.com/mt2/quakebots/downloads.html

Duke Nukem 3D definitely had some very basic bots back in the day (actually, it had an extremely simple bots avaiable via a command iirc) called SOB-BOT, but they were hardly a challenge: http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/duke3d-cons/ apparently there was another bot called ppbot, but can't find it anywhere except some mentions on old fansite.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
all this talk about Doom 3: *FG Edition makes me want to give away this key for it

T72M9-E8E7G-*FDVH

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

gullah jack posted:

all this talk about Doom 3: *FG Edition makes me want to give away this key for it

T72M9-E8E7G-*FDVH

Thank you so much!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dominic White posted:

Looks like my guess from that earlier trailer was right - you're playing as the Doomguy in the new game. The UAC science-cult bad guys find you in a giant stone casket in the depths of hell, realize who you are, and decide to leave you sealed up, far away from anything important in a distant sub-base because it's obvious you'd be wrecking all of their poo poo otherwise.

Then someone wakes you up, and - unsurprisingly - poo poo gets wrecked. That's basically the long and short of the story. Can't wait to play it, hopefully tomorrow.

gently caress, this is extremely my poo poo!

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Quake
Quake 2
Action Quake 2
CS 1.6

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123626484

I used this guide to set up bots in Quake 1. They are twitchy as hell though so prepare to get wrecked. Plus you can spam small maps with like 16 bots and have a real clusterfuck going on.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Someone made a new Doom comic: https://makuzoku.artstation.com/portfolio/doom-bad-day

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Lemon-Lime posted:

I look forward to encountering whatever Doom 4's equivalent of ancient Jewish power armour and Moon Nazis are.

I'm sorry, what? The former sounds somehow familiar but I can't place it...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

This owns.

SilentW posted:

You might be joking but for anyone who might not know, those are from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 12, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SilentW posted:

The New Order was batshit insane in the best possible way.

e; I feel genuinely sorry for spoiling those things for anyone who hasn't played TNO at this point, because they're brilliant.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Wamdoodle posted:

You might be joking but for anyone who might not know, those are from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I'd completely forgotten that part, to be honest.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

The New Order was batshit insane in the best possible way.

e; I feel genuinely sorry for spoiling those things for anyone who hasn't played TNO at this point, because they're brilliant.

Even if someone gets spoiled, play it anyway. Nothing like actually playing those parts.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SilentW posted:

I'd completely forgotten that part, to be honest.
How can you forget "gently caress you, moon"?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lemon-Lime posted:

I look forward to encountering whatever Doom 4's equivalent of ancient Jewish power armour and Moonbase Nazis are.
It turns out the game actually takes place thousands of years in the future, and the ancient martian civilization is actually the remains of the first human settlements seen in the original Doom games. It turns out humanity was devastated by the demon attack but finally built itself back up to the level of space travel, and encounters their ancient enemy once again....

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all becomes one.

One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are doomguy.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 12, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man I wish there was an option in gzDoom to do an automatic pistol start after dying. That feels like such a fundamental part of the original games and I'm annoyed there's no toggle for it :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The official reason for there being no toggle for it, if I recall correctly, is because ZDoom has support for hub maps a la Hexen, and those have a tendency to break spectacularly if everything gets reset to initial state when you die. (Something like that.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern. Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Ah, it's an Elder Scrolls game. CHIM!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Shy doesn't someone make a Doom source port with a wad loader built in? Being able to go from Doom to Doom 2 to BTSX to whatever else on the fly would be great!

Odamex supports on-the-fly WAD changes, for multiplayer mapcycles that use maps from multiple WADs/IWADs. Unfortunately, Odamex has like 3 players and it's based on an old enough ZDoom that it might be a pain even for single player.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Convex posted:

Man I wish there was an option in gzDoom to do an automatic pistol start after dying. That feels like such a fundamental part of the original games and I'm annoyed there's no toggle for it :(

actually, there's a mod for it in the OP :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/54k0dp1ztwdfv17/pistolstart.wad nope not anymore :( found another one with bunch of variants:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q8ia32e6o4g9sn7/pistol_start_options.zip

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=47204

laserghost fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 13, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fishmech posted:

Some of the builds used while developing Doom were capable of reloading a WAD from a network mapped share, so that levels could be tested "live" without constantly quitting out of the game. (This came out from one of the recent Romero/iD data dumps).
That wasn't "true" reloading - it didn't reload all the texture definitions, for example. I imagine the resource management portion would be the most tedious part to make dynamic.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

Oh, I didn't forget the Moon Nazis, that section of the game is one of my favorites of the past 5 years. I just seem to have forgotten about :jewish: :awesomelon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
God, I love that DO4M is a straight sequel to earlier games and treats them as canon. :allears:

Also, the thing runs at 75-90fps on a 970 at 1080p, which is pretty great.

e; literally the first spoken line has a Doom comic reference and the game has a time to shotgun of about 60 seconds.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 13, 2016

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

I keep meaning to port the pistol start key from prboom+ over to gzdoom. It looks like it would be pretty straightforward I just can't be bothered to get a development environment set up on a windows machine.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wolfenstien TNO and TOB are both brilliant. Shooting retro-futuristic Nazis with dual wield auto shotguns and then eating dog food to recover health afterwards is fun times.

Can't wait for the New Doom. Glad to see iD is keeping the run 30 mph carry all guns and eat medkits to regain health spirit of old school FPS games alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

It turns out the game actually takes place thousands of years in the future, and the ancient martian civilization is actually the remains of the first human settlements seen in the original Doom games. It turns out humanity was devastated by the demon attack but finally built itself back up to the level of space travel, and encounters their ancient enemy once again....

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won. A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all becomes one.

One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are doomguy.

You're joking, but a few of the codex entries I saw in a stream (hoping I have the game tomorrow) kinda implies some of this. Stuff like the sarcophagus you're found in - buried and chained and covered in magical wards - seems to have been there for thousands of years, but has a UAC-compatible powersuit inside., and also that there seems to be no prior record of earlier hell incursions outside of the current one..

One thing I really love: You are such a legendary badass that there are magical tablets in hell that tell the legend of how you kicked everyone's asses forever. The demons respect as much as fear/hate you.