Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Augus posted:

Well over there they don't use the term "westaboo" so the answer is automatically yes. :v:

What word would you use then? America enthusiast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are Westaboos in Japan as annoying as Weeaboos here?

You be the judge of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hoobajoo posted:

What word would you use then? America enthusiast?

I believe the term japanese people use is America Kabure

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

Always a classic

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Stop doxxing me

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

RareAcumen posted:

What's his stand name and abilities?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

Well, that explains something I was wondering about a localization change in Bravely Second.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Hefe posted:

What's his stand name and abilities?

His stand name is his name

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RareAcumen posted:

Lmao this is hilarious.

Shine on, crazy cowboy man. :allears:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

double cross ranch is the name of american pro wrestler Terry Funk's ranch. he was very popular in japan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Related to the present discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dTG1_x-K8

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I liked the farting noises when he was squirting the ketchup and mustard on those dogs.

Also gently caress.

e: Have a cover of Stand Proud in Spanish by some dudes in cowboy hats in their anime poster bedroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPEiJJglxjM

Now I want a mariachi band cover of JoJo songs.

e2: And on a Samsung phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2y_RInMMaM

e3: Turn Down for Whammu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_t9zInX2XA

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 12, 2016

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
That's incredible.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that is great

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
that's gureito daze, haha get it

like the character says

haha

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't understand how inhaling the Justice fog with Star Platinum would cause Enyaba to suffocate. Does that mean by sucking the fog air in that it sucked out the air from Enyaba's lungs too due to how Stands and Stand users are linked together?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 12, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's more along the lines that Justice was stuck in Star Platinum's chest, which made breathing hard for Enya.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It just works™

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't understand how inhaling the Justice fog with Star Platinum would cause Enyaba to suffocate. Does that mean by sucking the fog air in that it sucked out the air from Enyaba's lungs too due to how Stands and Stand users are linked together?

Stand and user are linked (sometimes) so even though they couldn't hurt Justice because it's made of fog, Star Platinum could make it (and by extension, Enyaba) suffocate by denying it air.

Look just don't think about it too much. Like why Justice had to breathe when later other stands don't. Or how Star Platinum was able to suck in the fog that was covering the entire town.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or how Justice's stated goal is to get inside people to control them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Lol the subtitles say 'Dan of Steel' but you can still clearly hear him say "Steely Dan".

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Has anyone posted this week's preview? I feel like it should be out by now but I can't remember where to get it from and googling doesn't work cause I think the site is all in Japanese.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Lol the subtitles say 'Dan of Steel' but you can still clearly hear him say "Steely Dan".

Boy, you're in for a treat later into JoJo when everything is a reference to our hilariously litigious music industry.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

deadly_pudding posted:

Boy, you're in for a treat later into JoJo when everything is a reference to our hilariously litigious music industry.

I just don't get how US recording labels and publishers feel threatened by JoJo. If anything, it would influence me to go out and listen to more of their music, case in point with all the Roundabout I've been playing at my local bar's jukebox recently.

The whole litigation thing is really loving dumb and stupid and counterintuitive and counterproductive, etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a fight in Part 6 that's going to be...interesting to watch in light of copyright issues.

WHERE THE gently caress IS M O R K E Y

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rockopete posted:

Has anyone posted this week's preview? I feel like it should be out by now but I can't remember where to get it from and googling doesn't work cause I think the site is all in Japanese.

This week's Stand is Face Show Off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWf34KFjbpc

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LOL Joseph howling like a lunatic because of the Lovers and attracting a crowd of people legitimately made me laugh out loud.

I love any time Joseph says "Oh, God!" or "Oh, No!" or some other phrase in English too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You're gonna be seeing that kind of thing more and more, especially in part 4.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Spoilers for part 3, maybe idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J5tYShNY8

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I just don't get how US recording labels and publishers feel threatened by JoJo. If anything, it would influence me to go out and listen to more of their music, case in point with all the Roundabout I've been playing at my local bar's jukebox recently.

The whole litigation thing is really loving dumb and stupid and counterintuitive and counterproductive, etc.

They're not threatened, but they are required to pursue legal action even if they don't care. Because the time they do care, the defendant could use them not suing JoJo as evidence in their favor. It's dumb and sucks.

So what JoJo tries to do in the West is get formal permission from the artists and labels, and most won't give it, at least not for free, so they gotta do what they can.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Defending copyright is less about potential lost sales and more about protecting your rights to those names or phrases. They have to defend it to keep control of it, and if they dont defend it, when someone else rips off their copyright down the line the ripper offer can site precedence from failing to defend their mark earlier.

Its silly but like you said in the case of Jojo all thats being changed is the subtitle anyway, you can still hear them literally saying the actual thing

Edit: son of a bitch bastard

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DamnGlitch posted:

Its silly but like you said in the case of Jojo all thats being changed is the subtitle anyway, you can still hear them literally saying the actual thing

The english manga releases are gonna suck though :(

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's not really that big of a deal. Especially whenever the translators try and get creative with it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The Sun... Is a Stand!? :stare:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

hoobajoo posted:

They're not threatened, but they are required to pursue legal action even if they don't care. Because the time they do care, the defendant could use them not suing JoJo as evidence in their favor. It's dumb and sucks.

So what JoJo tries to do in the West is get formal permission from the artists and labels, and most won't give it, at least not for free, so they gotta do what they can.

DamnGlitch posted:

Defending copyright is less about potential lost sales and more about protecting your rights to those names or phrases. They have to defend it to keep control of it, and if they dont defend it, when someone else rips off their copyright down the line the ripper offer can site precedence from failing to defend their mark earlier.

Edit: son of a bitch bastard

this is how trademark works, not copyright

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assumed that the Justice win was because Star Platinum was not only sucking in the Stand (neutralising it), but also all the air in its vicinity, which was pretty bad news for a frail old woman like Enya. She couldn't hold her breath as long as hulking musclemen like the Crusaders.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not the actual Sun, but the User can make a fake one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iruIzwUQJXs

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LMAO the Sun episode ended really abruptly, that was great.

One of the best episodes in the series so far next to the Hanged Man two-parter. Great unique mood, cool visuals, interesting "fight", loved the humor.

Son of a beeeeeeeitch-a! :supaburn:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
E: quote is not edit. Son of beeeeeeitch!

Might as well use this space to ask: is tako (octopus) Japanese slang for dumbass? I thought octopi were normally pretty smart...

• Locked thread