Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I almost rented it On Demand like two weeks ago before I knew it was coming to Netflix. I'll definitely be watching it tonight though. That happens to me all the time because I no longer trust that Netflix will get good movies.

Ohh. I would definitely say check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ohh. I would definitely say check it out.

It was right on the borderline for me and if it were a $4 rental and not $7, I'd probably have pulled the trigger. That is how my crazy cheap-rear end mind works I guess.

I did risk the $7 for Baskin, and that turned out to be the right decision 100%.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It was right on the borderline for me and if it were a $4 rental and not $7, I'd probably have pulled the trigger. That is how my crazy cheap-rear end mind works I guess.

I did risk the $7 for Baskin, and that turned out to be the right decision 100%.

To be fair $7 is a lot for a rental, I don't think you're cheap for it at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

To be fair $7 is a lot for a rental, I don't think you're cheap for it at all.

I LOVE movies though, its probably my #1 hobby(if sitting on your rear end watching something someone else created can be considered a hobby). So to quibble over a difference of $3 seems illogical to me, but yet I do it.

The $7 rentals are typically foreign/indie stuff like Baskin and They Look Like People, so to spend a few extra bucks to support those kind of films wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
7 bucks a week is my movie budget so I hear you there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Spider Covets posted:

I really enjoyed the last scene. God, that was so intense! And I was so surprised when it didn't go down the usual horror route. Having the protagonist's friend survive in the face of all that danger, so close to him, really made the ending for me.

The movie basically relies on the audience having certain expectations about how a particular scenario typically plays out in horror films. Every tense scene works because we're playing out all the possible outcomes in our minds. "Oh god he's about to hack his friend in the neck with that axe! Oh no don't remove the paper sack he's really a monster!"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Scanners feels a bit clunky overall, but it's worth watching for the head explosion scene, Ironside's Revok, and inspiring the plot of several great video games.
Scanners (1981) is one of those films that was absolutely essential at the time but has morphed over time into almost kitschy semi-obscure-reference-that-everyone-will-get territory. Phantasm (1979) was there for a long time, but it seems to be getting more consideration/discussion lately, after decades of that weird semi-obscurity that classic but out of favour genre films end up in.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

Shudder's Movie Mayhem series has The House by the Cemetery, The Baby, and The Cat O' Nine Tails. Which would you recommend the most out of the three?
EDIT: or even Stagefright? I've heard great things.

House by the Cemetery is pretty good, not top tier Fulci but just below. It does have one of the most obnoxiously dubbed kid voices in a movie ever, though. The Baby is just a weird loving movie and worth watching for that. Cat O'Nine Tails I honestly don't remember much about and Stagefright loving rules, the best of this group easily.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Surprised more people aren't talking up Dead Ringers (which is my fav Cronenberg movie). I watched that with Zoo and the movies are like odd mirrors of each other.

Also I could barely get through his Crash. It wasn't bad in the least, it just seemed to take a lot of his body horror themes and make them...real. Just really uncomfortable throughout.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Surprised more people aren't talking up Dead Ringers (which is my fav Cronenberg movie). I watched that with Zoo and the movies are like odd mirrors of each other.

I'm intrigued where this could go. Explain.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Ava's Possessions wasn't really scary, but it was something fresh and kind of funny. An interesting take on the aftermath of demonic possession.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Cronenberg's evolution as a director is really interesting, even though his newer stuff can be fairly hit or miss for me. The Brood is my far and away favorite of his, but eXistenz has really grown on me recently for its humor. I was really disappointed by his book Consumed though. Some people felt it was a return to form, but I thought it was more of a regression.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Wilhelm Scream posted:

House by the Cemetery is pretty good, not top tier Fulci but just below. It does have one of the most obnoxiously dubbed kid voices in a movie ever, though. The Baby is just a weird loving movie and worth watching for that. Cat O'Nine Tails I honestly don't remember much about and Stagefright loving rules, the best of this group easily.

Oh gently caress, I watched The Baby on shudder the other night it was so odd it felt to me like a tales from the crypt episode or something with the ending.

I really need to use Shudder more it's just such a pain in the rear end casting from my phone or computer to my TV......

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I ended up watching Stagefright and I thought it was terrific. The owl mask was wonderful and there were some great kills. I loved the actual musical bits where we'd see parts of the play like the beginning. The story had a lot more semblance than most giallos, it was really well-done. Have you seen The Church? I didn't realize the director of Stagefright did Cemetery Man as well

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Maybe one of my favorite trailers ever.

Downright weird and messy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7PHsWzvwE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Another highlight for me recently was The Battery. It was a really refreshing take on the zombie films and the scene where one of them dashes out of the sunroof and we're left waiting in the car for him to return is one of the most effective and agonizing scenes I've seen in a horror film yet.
I've been noticing this trend a lot especially in indie horror - the long as hell take with rising tension while you're waiting for something to happen for like 10 minutes. Willow Creek and The Interior both did similar things.

quote:

The Forest and Sinister Part 2 were both boring to me. I liked some aspects in both but Sinister, especially, fell flat. The home movies were frightening and creative to me - the alligator in the swamp and the rats in the church - but the Baghuul(?) is such a silly design and so were the ghost children. I wanted to like it because I like Sossman and the guy from The Wire. Is it worth seeing the first Sinister?
Yeah, it's pretty good. You'll still get the black metal singer demon, but the first is way better than the sequel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watched Clown last night. It started out really cool with a really fresh premise, but ended kind of limply for me. Don't regret watching it, just wish it had been edited a little tighter - the last 1/3 drags on a bit.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Long story short, Dead Ringers has a one life splits into two/death-life-death pattern, whereas Zoo has a two lives merge into one/life-death-life pattern.

Granted, it's been awhile since I watched them but I recall being struck how it seemed like reversals of each other. In Dead Ringers, you have twins who at the start of the film are so wrapped up in each other that they essentially share one life and constantly impersonate each other. In Zoo, the start of the film sees both twins who are close, but are obviously distinct individuals. Dead Ringers, the twins are gynecologists who specialize in fertility-in taking what is "dead" and creating life, the twins in Zoo (as zoologists) start off taking care of and observing vital, living animals and become obsessed with watching the life leave them to the point they film decomposition. Also both end up pivoting around a woman-in Dead Ringers the two doctors end up actually starting to operate more as individuals as one ends up emotionally involved with a woman and doesn't want to "share" anymore, whereas in Zoo the twins, after their wives die, both end up involved with and sharing the same woman. And of course the women play central roles and in their own ways seem opposite-on one hand you have the actress in Dead Ringers who had a trifulcated (sp?) cervix (I'm not sure if that's a real thing, but I remember at the time it gave me the impression that she was "too" woman, had extra parts), whereas the focus of attention in Zoo is being cut up and being made less of a woman. Then the endings, one (dead ringers) with the explosion of death stopping the doctors from regaining their old, shared life and Zoo with the explosion of life stopping them in their quest for shared death.

I think there was more stuff I noticed, but those are just some of the impressions I remember.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

I've been noticing this trend a lot especially in indie horror - the long as hell take with rising tension while you're waiting for something to happen for like 10 minutes. Willow Creek and The Interior both did similar things.

Well if that is a trend(I haven't noticed it myself), it was certainly inspired by that famous jump scare in Exorcist III. I don't need to post it for the 1000th time do I?

Just kidding, of course I was going to post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKhJ5D8trI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Long story short, Dead Ringers has a one life splits into two/death-life-death pattern, whereas Zoo has a two lives merge into one/life-death-life pattern.

Granted, it's been awhile since I watched them but I recall being struck how it seemed like reversals of each other. In Dead Ringers, you have twins who at the start of the film are so wrapped up in each other that they essentially share one life and constantly impersonate each other. In Zoo, the start of the film sees both twins who are close, but are obviously distinct individuals. Dead Ringers, the twins are gynecologists who specialize in fertility-in taking what is "dead" and creating life, the twins in Zoo (as zoologists) start off taking care of and observing vital, living animals and become obsessed with watching the life leave them to the point they film decomposition. Also both end up pivoting around a woman-in Dead Ringers the two doctors end up actually starting to operate more as individuals as one ends up emotionally involved with a woman and doesn't want to "share" anymore, whereas in Zoo the twins, after their wives die, both end up involved with and sharing the same woman. And of course the women play central roles and in their own ways seem opposite-on one hand you have the actress in Dead Ringers who had a trifulcated (sp?) cervix (I'm not sure if that's a real thing, but I remember at the time it gave me the impression that she was "too" woman, had extra parts), whereas the focus of attention in Zoo is being cut up and being made less of a woman. Then the endings, one (dead ringers) with the explosion of death stopping the doctors from regaining their old, shared life and Zoo with the explosion of life stopping them in their quest for shared death.

I think there was more stuff I noticed, but those are just some of the impressions I remember.

Bahaha. I was thinking of, uh, the other Zoo. I see exactly what you mean, though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SubG posted:

Phantasm (1979) was there for a long time, but it seems to be getting more consideration/discussion lately, after decades of that weird semi-obscurity that classic but out of favour genre films end up in.

Phantasm never really "fell out of favour" as much as it was always an outsider film. Phantasm is to horror movies what Frank Zappa is to rock music.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

InfiniteZero posted:

Phantasm never really "fell out of favour" as much as it was always an outsider film. Phantasm is to horror movies what Frank Zappa is to rock music.

drat, that's a killer metaphor. It also works with the tonal shift from Phantasm to Phantasm II.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I ended up watching Stagefright and I thought it was terrific. The owl mask was wonderful and there were some great kills. I loved the actual musical bits where we'd see parts of the play like the beginning. The story had a lot more semblance than most giallos, it was really well-done. Have you seen The Church? I didn't realize the director of Stagefright did Cemetery Man as well

The Church is okay, It's been a good 10-15 years since I've seen it but I remember being pretty underwhelmed by it. It's supposed to be the third Demons movie but it's not nearly as great as Demons or goofy as Demons 2.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bahaha. I was thinking of, uh, the other Zoo. I see exactly what you mean, though.

Hahahaha

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I was gonna say I'm pretty sure he means A Zed and Two Naughts but I see he already explained. I'd love to see somebody try it with the other movie though.

Zoo (1999) and Dead Ringer (1964) c'mon someone who's seen both

InfiniteZero posted:

With regards to architecture specifically, I think the fact that he embraced the brutalist architecture that was popular in Canada/Toronto in the 70s is a lot of the reason for that. I thought that Villeneuve's Enemy expertly did the same thing in order to give the whole film a huge Cronenberg vibe.

He makes Canada look like some kind of nightmare-USSR

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 12, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

He makes Canada look like some kind of nightmare-USSR

I'm one of the 11 people who actually really likes brutalist architecture.

A while back I mentioned Just Before Dawn and nobody bit. It's such a perfect slasher film: it's legitimately scary, it's got a twist that explains how the person doing the slashing can be in two places at once (twins!) and one of the stars is also in Body Double (aka "the perfect movie").

Note however that it may be extra scary for me because I feel that I'm about to be eaten by a bear/cannibals if I'm more than 10 minutes outside the city ("the deep woods").

The soundtrack is also dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloZ0A6GhAM

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

That's not really what I'm talking about. If you were into genre film at the time, it was very much a film that was part of the general conversation or whatever, every bit as much as Halloween (1978) or Alien (1979) were. Over the years, the prominence of the film and the ball and the Tall Man faded, and it's really just been in the past couple years that it's become one of those films that's a regular part of the discourse again.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SubG posted:

it's really just been in the past couple years that it's become one of those films that's a regular part of the discourse again.

TV ads for Fangoria in the 80s had Angus Scrimm playing the Tall Man (verifying your claim that it was heavily in the consciousness at the time) ...

But magazines like Rue Morgue had cover stories about Phantasm running 9 years ago too ...

Even the sequel wasn't released until the late 80s and then a bunch more came out through the 90s, so it was definitely in the consciousness. The DVD releases were a big deal too and there was even the set that came in a silver ball. I remember for a long time that Phantasm II was only available on import or in that set.

I don't think Phantasm ever really faded. I think it was always just a film and a series that was especially loved by "weirdos". It is getting extra attention now (it's the cover story once again on Rue Morgue this very month!) but a lot of that is for the unfortunate reason that we lost Scrimm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate that Phantasm isn't on blu ray. I assume there's some problem with the rights otherwise Shout Factory would have put it out a long time ago. Phantasm II is great and all but it seems pointless to own it without the original.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I hate that Phantasm isn't on blu ray. I assume there's some problem with the rights otherwise Shout Factory would have put it out a long time ago. Phantasm II is great and all but it seems pointless to own it without the original.

Bad Robot is restoring it in 4k

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say I'm pretty sure he means A Zed and Two Naughts but I see he already explained. I'd love to see somebody try it with the other movie though.

Yeah I'd seen it billed before as peter greenaway's "zoo" in some stuff I read and I'd seen other people refer to it as such so i thought that's what most dudes knew it by.

Although now I'm tempted to check out the other Zoo movie and see what I can piece together.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hat Thoughts posted:

Bad Robot is restoring it in 4k

More than that actually. Coscarelli is "fixing the effects" ala George Lucas. Not sure how I feel about that. In the new Rue Morgue, Coscarelli talks about removing wires, camera reflections, and production stuff like a bucket that accidentally got into a shot. Not a huge deal, but Phantasm doesn't really need to be "fixed". He also mentions adding some new sound effects.

No word yet on if JJ Abrams will convince him to add lens flares shooting out from the spheres ...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really can't even think of any effects that would need to be changed, were there any visible wires on the spheres? I suppose maybe not before but now that they're doing it in 4k some touching up may be necessary. As long as he doesn't add any new effects I'm ok with it. The finale where we finally see the Tall Man's world is absolutely perfect as is.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I really need to re-sub to Rue Morgue.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I really can't even think of any effects that would need to be changed, were there any visible wires on the spheres?

Screenshots of the restoration look like they heavily applied DNR so as you suggested, you can probably see them quite easily in 4k.

Restoration screenshot:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

But magazines like Rue Morgue had cover stories about Phantasm running 9 years ago too ...
I don't know how much you can read into poo poo like that though. If I recall correctly Fangoria had Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) on its cover, and the only reason I recall this is because a co-worker had a copy of the magazine and only I and one other guy in the office (not the Fangoria suibscriber) had any idea who Tsukamoto is or had heard of Tetsuo (1989).

InfiniteZero posted:

I don't think Phantasm ever really faded. I think it was always just a film and a series that was especially loved by "weirdos". It is getting extra attention now (it's the cover story once again on Rue Morgue this very month!) but a lot of that is for the unfortunate reason that we lost Scrimm.
Yeah, and my point is that in the period following when it came out it wasn't something that was only known by weirdos or people checking out something an actor who just died was in. It wasn't a major release like Halloween or Alien, but films like those were the outliers, not the norm---most films, and at the time particularly most genre films, just don't generate that kind of buzz. But Phantasm was very much a film that was nevertheless on the radar of the average person who had any interest in the genre. In a way that didn't continue to be true.

Like I think you could make the comparison with a film like Altman's Popeye (1980), although it was much more popular (in the sense of being seen) when it was released (being the 12th highest grossing film of 1980) and went into greater relative obscurity (spending many years effectively unavailable in any format).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I know SubG is right cuz my parents know about Phantasm, that's the test. The other reason I think SubG is right is because he is the poster SubG.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 12, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure a part of it was that Coscarelli went on to direct absolutely nothing of note outside the Phantasm franchise for about 20 years until Bubba Hotep in 2002. If he had anything resembling a hit in that time maybe more people would have gone back and found an appreciation for Phantasm.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure a part of it was that Coscarelli went on to direct absolutely nothing of note outside the Phantasm franchise for about 20 years until Bubba Hotep in 2002. If he had anything resembling a hit in that time maybe more people would have gone back and found an appreciation for Phantasm.
I think having a director that goes on to do bigger poo poo, being part of a successful franchise, and (particularly lately) being remade are all things that contribute to remaining part of the conversation (in the sense I'm talking about it). But I feel like, I dunno, Re-Animator (1985) is a film that's had currency ever since it was released, and it hasn't been remade, it remains Stuart Gordon's most-recognised film, and none of the sequels have been remotely as popular as the original.

I mean if you look at just 1985, alongside Re-Animator you have The Stuff and Lifeforce and The Return of the Living Dead (and I'm not going to list all of the sequels, like the second Nightmare on Elm Street film, Romero's third Dead film, one of the Friday the 13th sequels, and so on). Pretty much all of these are films that any genre-savvy filmgoer would have been aware of. The way, say, anyone reading this thread will be aware of a film like It Follows (2014). But if you look at the trajectory of these films following that period of familiarity after their original release, they take (at least, subjectively, to me) very different paths. Like none of them have exactly lapsed into being lost films or anything like that, but e.g. right now I'd expect The Stuff to be almost as familiar to most people as Re-Animator (because of the Arrow release and surrounding discussion). But for years I just wouldn't have expected it to be as familiar. And Lifeforce is a film that I feel like isn't unknown or anything, but is something that's probably more familiar to InfiniteZero's `weirdos' than just average genre-watching viewers. If that distinction makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Candy Dawn posted:

Ava's Possessions wasn't really scary, but it was something fresh and kind of funny. An interesting take on the aftermath of demonic possession.

I'm trying to make it through the first 20 minutes. It's difficult. Hopefully it gets better.