Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In 1973, Keith Moon (drummer of The Who) passed out on stage after downing a massive amount of horse tranquilisers and chasing it with a bottle or two of brandy (:psyduck:). When reviving him backstage with a cold shower didn't work, Pete Townsend had no better idea left than to ask the audience whether anybody could play the drums. Scott Halpin, a 19-year old boy who could play the drums but hadn't actually done so for a year, was at the concert together with a friend of his, who promptly started yelling at the security that his buddy could do it. The concert's promoter Bill Graham asked Halpin if he could do it, Halpin answered with "yes" and, to the surprise of the band and the cheer of the audience, put him onstage. Halpin was given a shot of Moon's leftover brandy for the nerves and then played three songs with Townsend giving him instructions. Halpin afterwards got a tour jacket and a promise of 1,000$ for his troubles - the former was promptly stolen, the latter never materialised. Halpin died in 2008 of a brain tumor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-N8MZ9ilk
Video of Moon passing out and Halpin getting onstage (look at the description for timestamps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B92DK5zoH8
Halpin performing "Naked Eye", the last number of the concert and the most complex of the three songs he was drumming for. Kid did pretty well, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fact: this is loving adorable and :magical:

It's like an Onion article. "Liechenstein Nazis agitate over country's singular 'Jewish problem'".

Part of me feels really bad for laughing about this, but this is really good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Check out this nazi gently caress signing a marriage bann with a swastika in 1761

from the Amsterdam Stadsarchief & yes I know the origin etc

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Check out this nazi gently caress signing a marriage bann with a swastika in 1761

from the Amsterdam Stadsarchief & yes I know the origin etc

I don't?
I don't even know what a marriage ban is?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I think snapchat thought there was an argument about the swastika not being invented by the nazis, he might be posting from two pages in the future.

There's an archaic meaning of 'ban' to mean simply 'proclamation' that's fallen out of use, but have no idea since I can't read 18th century whateverthefuck that is.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It's usually spelled bann and that's the spelling Snapchat A Titty used

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Mr Havafap posted:

I don't?
I don't even know what a marriage ban is?

A Marriage Bann is a proclamation to the church parish or community at large. Usually they are proclaimed or published in a church newsletter a couple of times before the actual wedding. The idea is to allow someone to present a legal or canonical objection to the marriage. Things like, the groom already has five wives in different villages, the bride doesn't want to get married, the groom isn't the right sect and hasn't consented to the wedding, the bride is really a nun who ran away with the cute gardener, there's a question about the mental state of one of the parties. My late MIL raised the mental question to prevent our marriage, taking it all the way to the bishop. Fortunately Father Joe, my parish priest, liked discussing history with me so he could vouch for my sanity and clear me for marriage.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Here's something interesting: The world's oldest dam.

http://www.hydriaproject.net/en/egypt-sadd-al-kafara-dam/relevance9

It was built at the same time as the Giza pyramids, ie 2600-2800BC. It was some 111 m wide and 14m high. The website has a great animation about the building and subsequent collapse of the dam.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

My late MIL raised the mental question to prevent our marriage, taking it all the way to the bishop.

You can't drop that kind of info without linking to the Ask/Tell thread about it. It raises so many more questions than it helps to answer.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

dobbymoodge posted:

You can't drop that kind of info without linking to the Ask/Tell thread about it. It raises so many more questions than it helps to answer.

There's an Ask/tell thread about getting married in the Catholic Church?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Samuel Beckett used to drive André the Giant to school. :3:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khazar-khum posted:

There's an Ask/tell thread about getting married in the Catholic Church?

Probably the liturgical Christianity thread.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some lesser-known Churchill quotes:

"I remember, when I was a child, being taken to the celebrated Barnum's circus, which contained an exhibition of freaks and monstrosities. But the exhibit I most desired to see was 'The Boneless Wonder'. My parents judged that the spectacle would be too revolting and demoralizing for my youthful eyes, and I have waited 50 years to see the boneless wonder sitting on the Treasury bench."[On Ramsay MacDonald]

"My wife and I tried two or three times in the last few years to have breakfast together but it was so disagreeable that we had to stop."

"At every crisis the Kaiser crumpled. In defeat he fled, in revolution he abdicated: in exile he remarried."

"If you wanted nothing done at all, [Prime minister Arthur] Balfour was the man for the job."

[Ramsay MacDonald is] "A sheep in sheep's clothing"

"The biggest argument against democracy is a five-minute discussion with the average voter."

[Prime minister Stanley Baldwin]"Occasionally he stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened"

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Some lesser-known Churchill quotes:

"I remember, when I was a child, being taken to the celebrated Barnum's circus, which contained an exhibition of freaks and monstrosities. But the exhibit I most desired to see was 'The Boneless Wonder'. My parents judged that the spectacle would be too revolting and demoralizing for my youthful eyes, and I have waited 50 years to see the boneless wonder sitting on the Treasury bench."[On Ramsay MacDonald]

"My wife and I tried two or three times in the last few years to have breakfast together but it was so disagreeable that we had to stop."

"At every crisis the Kaiser crumpled. In defeat he fled, in revolution he abdicated: in exile he remarried."

"If you wanted nothing done at all, [Prime minister Arthur] Balfour was the man for the job."

[Ramsay MacDonald is] "A sheep in sheep's clothing"

"The biggest argument against democracy is a five-minute discussion with the average voter."

[Prime minister Stanley Baldwin]"Occasionally he stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened"

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived."

Churchill was probably history's most quotable man after Mark Twain.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Canemacar posted:

Churchill was probably history's most quotable man after Mark Twain.

I suspect a certain Mr Shakespeare owns that position.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is that Will Shakes Beard, of Stratford?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

I suspect a certain Mr Shakespeare owns that position.

I think of him as more the father of Modern English than a master of the pithy one liner.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Oscar Wilde was pretty great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jesus has historically been pretty quotable.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is there a PYF Witty/Historical Quote thread somewhere?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Jesus has historically been pretty quotable.

I had a discussion with a (highly religious) coworker a couple years ago and told her that Jesus must've been a horrible carpenter if he dropped the trade and went into preaching. She disagreed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I had a discussion with a (highly religious) coworker a couple years ago and told her that Jesus must've been a horrible carpenter if he dropped the trade and went into preaching. She disagreed.

He spent much of his life trying to get as far away from carpentry as possible. Then they nailed him to a wooden cross.

How ironic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He spent much of his life trying to get as far away from carpentry as possible. Then they nailed him to a wooden cross.

How ironic.

Somebody could write a whole mega post on the Roman's sense of humour really.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't a carpenter just another word for day laborer back then? Like carpenters weren't experts who build scaffolding or walls or structures, but rather, folks on a work crew that happened to work with wood and brick?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
That's still basically true today

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, apparently true - Wikipedia cites a dictionary to the effect that tekton is more like workman or builder. Makes sense, his dad was a builder too.

Cacafuego posted:

She's right, it doesn't necessarily follow :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

"Most historical quotes have been made up in modern times." - Nikola Tesla

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Do you know where the word "laconic" comes from?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Elyv posted:

I do...is this leading up to a punchline involving "if"? I don't get the connection.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

This fits historical facts in general, I'm pretty sure like half the facts in this thread are just myths or exaggerations

And yes I know tesla didn't actually say that dude was too autistic to grasp or care about public notions of things

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

That word always confuses me, because in my mother tongue it shifted meaning to 'indifferent'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elyv posted:

That's the language dragons speak.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nah, that's Dov.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

BACK ON DA RAILS

The Cape York meteorite was a big chunk of iron that fell to Earth in a couple of pieces some 10,000 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_York_meteorite

It landed in the frozen north of Greenland and was scavenged by the existing culture of the time.

Being made of Iron, the meteorite was a godsend to anyone who lacked the ability to create their own, as it allowed you to craft superior tools and weapons from an existing bountiful supply without smelting. This concept was recently exemplified when science determined King Tut's iron burial dagger was indeed made of a cold-forged meteoric iron.

Pictured: an Inuit bone tusk with iron blade:

With each piece of the meteorite being stored in a different location, and some of them weighing over 30 tons, the ability to make seemingly limitless supply of iron tools became common to the Inuit, which baffled the gently caress out of anthropologists for quite some time.

For thousands of years this quintessential rock was bought and sold and used to defeat invaders and harpoon whales. It bonded cultures and peoples and likely employed a good amount of craftsmen, hunters, and mystics alike. It also opens up the mystery as to why the Thule (modern day Inuit) bothered to invade the remainder of the arctic and wipe out the Dorset (past day Inuit) when they could have turned south to warmer climates.

In the 19th century some white people finally bought parts of it and put them in a museum until we figure out how to launch it back from whence it came while angrily shaking our fist.

GolfHole has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Jun 13, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

God bless the meteorite.

GolfHole has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jun 13, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Peary was a fucker, a real one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
God broke one of His own commandments when He cuckolded Joseph and that made Jesus a bastard and therefore not the rightful King of Israel.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

"If you want somebody to believe something tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it." - Benjamin Franklin

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"If you want somebody to believe something tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"--Abraham Lincoln

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

God broke one of His own commandments when He cuckolded Joseph and that made Jesus a bastard and therefore not the rightful King of Israel.

Lmao