Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostratic posted:

It's beer league, who cares!

One or two assholes that ruin it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah we make goalies pay 0 because we pay team fee and it cuts out their argument about us being lazy at the knees. And finding subs is a pain so free hockey is a motivator

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Goalies pay a fee? Weird! I don't think I could take a team up there as our goalies are deadbeats. Much like Zip.

They're on the ice the whole game. They should pay more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The instructional league I'm in has goalies paying half.. which is still a ton of money for a league that doesn't have any dedicated goalie instruction. It's worked okay until this year, but now we're having problems filling the goalie slots.

It's not all doom, the reason the organizer is having goalie problems is because the goalies have trained up and moved into beer league which is the entire point of the league. She just hasn't found any new beginners to replenish the ranks and it's starting to hurt.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nostratic posted:

Goddamn, that's crazy. I've seen plenty of pushing/shoving/chirping, but never a full on fight, and definitely not a stomp like that, holy poo poo.

It's beer league, who cares!

They always pay less than skaters, in my experience. Shiftless bastards.

Shiftless AND no-account.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Nitramster posted:

What. The. gently caress.

So glad I live in Southern California where sports really don't matter at all because there's a million other things to do at any time.

Verman posted:

Jesus loving Christ where was that at? That's not even "way over the line" that's beyond insane. If people want to willingly fight that's one thing but stomping a guys leg?

I played 2 back to back games last night as part of the leagues captain games. It was casual but fun. Only 2 subs each so I got a lot of puck time which was nice. Wasn't planning on playing the second but they didn't have enough people to skate so I joined in. gently caress if I didn't lose 5 lbs in sweat though.

And it's funny. A 9 mile hike last weekend made my it band tight, giving me some knee pain when walking but it felt fine while skating. This morning was rough though.

This happened in MN, Titanium used to play in this league and this is my third year in it. The other team was full of younger, early 20's guys who played the MN equivalent of JV hockey (junior gold, which supposedly is known for fighting and brawls). They had a cheering section of girls which probably factored in to what happened as far as the brawling/fighting. But yeah, stomping on a guy is beyond anything I've ever encountered or seen at any level of hockey other than the Marty McSorley incident or something along those lines.

Our guy seems to be taking it in stride for the most part but from what I've heard he had to have surgery and a metal plate inserted. Hopefully this isn't gonna affect him long term after everything heals.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 12, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TrixR4kids posted:

This happened in MN, Titanium used to play in this league and this is my third year in it. The other team was full of younger, early 20's guys who played the MN equivalent of JV hockey (junior gold, which supposedly is known for fighting and brawls). They had a cheering section of girls which probably factored in to what happened as far as the brawling/fighting. But yeah, stomping on a guy is beyond anything I've ever encountered or seen at any level of hockey other than the Marty McSorley incident or something along those lines.

Our guy seems to be taking it in stride for the most part but from what I've heard he had to have surgery and a metal plate inserted. Hopefully this isn't gonna affect him long term after everything heals.

If I was that guy, I'd pursue either legal action or vendetta.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, he agreed to that poo poo when he stepped on the ice. Welcome to hockey kiddo.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
he should just hang up his skates for good considering how much he got his rear end beat

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

edited

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 13, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If someone stamped on my leg when I'm down to break it, I'm pressing charges. If he kicks the poo poo out of me in a fight and leaves me alone once I'm down, I haven't got a problem with it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 12, 2016

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

The instructional league I'm in has goalies paying half.. which is still a ton of money for a league that doesn't have any dedicated goalie instruction. It's worked okay until this year, but now we're having problems filling the goalie slots.

It's not all doom, the reason the organizer is having goalie problems is because the goalies have trained up and moved into beer league which is the entire point of the league. She just hasn't found any new beginners to replenish the ranks and it's starting to hurt.

I'd be willing to give goal a crack if I could afford the $$$billions$$ for the equipment.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think that's the impetus for the beginner class being half off, league fees being lower, etc. No one's going to front you the cash, but if you consider that you could play for free maybe it makes sense for you.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

Nah, he agreed to that poo poo when he stepped on the ice. Welcome to hockey kiddo.

No he didn't.
That's not hockey.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wooty posted:

No he didn't.
That's not hockey.

(He's making a reference to some maniac in the thread who earlier couldn't believe someone would press charges for being seriously injured in a stick swinging attack.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Scored my first goal in an actual match setting (practice match, but still).

Shame the net was empty, I can't be all :smug: about it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

prom candy posted:

Felt a lot more comfortable playing center second time out last night. Managed to weave the puck through the neutral zone a few times and then set up good passes in the offensive zone, and I won a few faceoffs back to the right position. I played higher in the slot on defense (unless I needed to cover someone right out front) and was quicker to go help along the boards or in the corners. Playing C is awesome, so much skating.
That is basically how I ended up a center. We were a new line and weren't sure where we were all going to fit best together, plus out of the 3 of us none had played center before. I played a few games at it, my other two linemates played a few games at it and they were like gently caress center its too much skating you can have it.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They're on the ice the whole game. They should pay more.
Exactly. Most of our pickups and league teams let goalies ride free though.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you can't take a havlat here or there you shouldn't play hockey imho

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Chemmy posted:

(He's making a reference to some maniac in the thread who earlier couldn't believe someone would press charges for being seriously injured in a stick swinging attack.)

Gotcha, I figured he was being facetious with the first post but I don't post in this thread often enough.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Vargatron posted:

Shiftless AND no-account.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'd be willing to give goal a crack if I could afford the $$$billions$$ for the equipment.

Speaking of equipment for shiftless no-account goaltenders, I got an email from HockeyGiant that they're doing 20% off all goalie equipment this weekend. Didn't read it closely enough to see if it's San Jose only though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I just found out how much my goalie dropped on his new pads and skates this past Tuesday.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah no thanks
...I'll eat the league fees and my used gear.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Hey Nitramstr who is the dude on your Canadians team that bitches a bunch but took this season off?

hmm IDK. The captains son that plays center usually has a loud mouth but I doubt he would take a season off. I only played with them 1 season, Ace would be the one to know that. I also know that since the team was moved up and them back down a lot of people were forced to leave the team for others in aluminum or move up to copper.

Ace and I are playing with the Slackers in Copper next season, which is a new team coming from Lakewood with a bunch of guys we've played with before.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lost 6-2 tonight, but made 36 saves, so I can't really complain. Got to do the windmill thing on a glove save and the ref made the Sportscenter jingle. Feels good :3:

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Speaking of equipment for shiftless no-account goaltenders, I got an email from HockeyGiant that they're doing 20% off all goalie equipment this weekend. Didn't read it closely enough to see if it's San Jose only though.

Sales like that are the cause for my abject poverty in the name of goalie gear...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Nitramster posted:

the Slackers

Speaking of slackers.... I'm watching go pro footage from a pond hockey game back about 3-4 weeks ago and holy poo poo I look lazy and slow and straight-legged this is hilarious. And sad.

But mostly hilarious.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I just found out how much my goalie dropped on his new pads and skates this past Tuesday.
...I'll eat the league fees and my used gear.

Did he go full custom?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Did he go full custom?

Nah they're just like those same ol white kinda higher-end Vaughn's I see everywhere around here and, even after CDN->US :homebrew: getting him a pretty good deal on it I was still pretty shocked at how much your guys' stuff is.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yep. I'm in the fun process of updating all of my stuff at the moment. Total cost of everything I've spent/going to spend is around $4100 USD.

I keep telling myself this is the last set I'm ever going to buy, but even I know that isn't true.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 13, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Goalies is weird.

:v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vaughn just released their V7 line, you so can get the older V6 stuff at significant discounts. You can save a lot of money being a generation behind.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Could always go with Don Simmons pads too. All they do is copy the other brands goalie equipment.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Has anyone played in a draft tournament? They want to bring one to Dallas and it looks solid. There is enough interest across all the local leagues that I think it could have a great turnout but it's pricey at like $500/player.

Last night we had a 10pm game pushed to 10:30 because of a brawl in the game before. Our game starts and the other team is immediately targeting the free agent we were assigned who went to school with Methuselah and can't skate. He understandably gets pissed off at getting run over a few times and ends up slashing the poo poo out of their goalie for reasons he could not explain. So now this other team is pissed off because an old man slashed their goalie. I keep getting cup checked while defending the low slot and get tired of it and push their forward to the ice. Ref's hand goes up as dude regains his stance but they have possession so I push him down again since it's still a live puck. I've never seen someone so mad before. I've got about 6 inches and 50 pounds on this dude and he's literally seething, spraying spittle into his shield cage amalgamation so I asked if he was having a hard time staying on his feet. That got me the retaliation call I was after when he took a swing.

6-2 with an assist off a trash shot that hit the goalie in the back and bounced in. I'm annoyed that we have 2 games left in the season and we're only just now getting back to playing at the level we should have been for the previous 28. Whatever, hockey is more fun when you win.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Nitramster posted:

hmm IDK. The captains son that plays center usually has a loud mouth but I doubt he would take a season off. I only played with them 1 season, Ace would be the one to know that. I also know that since the team was moved up and them back down a lot of people were forced to leave the team for others in aluminum or move up to copper.

I think his name is Bill (but I might be wrong) He played with Top Shelf and left because they did not try hard enough or something.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Speaking of slackers.... I'm watching go pro footage from a pond hockey game back about 3-4 weeks ago and holy poo poo I look lazy and slow and straight-legged this is hilarious. And sad.

But mostly hilarious.

I hate watching video of myself skating. In my mind I'm low and speedy, in reality I'm just standing straight up while gliding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you always force yourself to squat uncomfortably low in a practice. If a couple percent of whatever you learn in a clinic makes it to a game, eventually you might be a not completely embarrassing looking skater.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've been having trouble scoring this year, playing D I don't get many chances as I've been picked as the stay-at-home due to my positioning and smart plays.

So I subconsciously decided to score on my own goalie.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

$500 for a tournament is dumb unless it's played at like AAC or whatever.

A draft tournament where you barely know anyone is even worse. With draft leagues at least you have a whole season of time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bootcha posted:

I've been having trouble scoring this year, playing D I don't get many chances as I've been picked as the stay-at-home due to my positioning and smart plays.

So I subconsciously decided to score on my own goalie.

Make sure to tip the puck into your own net and look at your goalie all "WHAT DID I DO???"

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

But mostly hilarious.

You gotta post this.

Duke Chin posted:

Nah they're just like those same ol white kinda higher-end Vaughn's I see everywhere around here and, even after CDN->US :homebrew: getting him a pretty good deal on it I was still pretty shocked at how much your guys' stuff is.

I can easily see a goalie spending at least $1600 for used gear to start. I calculated all of my stuff once but I forgot what it was. It was ridiculous, though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the most expensive piece of gear I got in my first set was a $400 CCM mask. That's kind of the entry point for not getting a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

I think the most expensive piece of gear I got in my first set was a $400 CCM mask. That's kind of the entry point for not getting a concussion.

With Hackva going away, that's pretty accurate.