Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

Anyone ever took the Linux exams before? Any advice?

Are we talking Red Hat or LPIC/Comptia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CISSP on Wednesday. Spending these last two days cohesively synergizing my risk metric reduction framework knowledge domains.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good luck dude. Are you skimming 11th Hour CISSP?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Getting ready to take the Network+ in a few weeks. Does anyone know of any good practice exam resources? I have a couple but a few more wouldn't hurt.

Also, what kind of hands-on stuff do they expect you to know?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

The practical parts take a bit. I would highly advise marking them for review and circling back around to them at the end. Lots of troubleshooting, IPv6 vs IPv4, and protocol/port numbers. ymmv, but it's not too bad.

edit: for practical stuff, I didn't need to actively subnet but I needed to understand how subnets and vlans worked for setting up a network, and some wifi access point setup. I had to go into a command line once.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the 7th edition Lammle CCNA study guide still current? I watched some Lynda training videos, but they really didn't work for me, from what I'm seeing on practice exams. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just spend the money. I've been unemployed for 4 months now, I think I need a new cert on my resume to go with my degree.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ozu posted:

Good luck dude. Are you skimming 11th Hour CISSP?

Yeah. I read the official study guide cover to cover and am using the new Conrad book to review some of the sections I'm not as well versed in.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

readingatwork posted:

Getting ready to take the Network+ in a few weeks. Does anyone know of any good practice exam resources? I have a couple but a few more wouldn't hurt.

Also, what kind of hands-on stuff do they expect you to know?

Know your Ethernet cable pinouts.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Marshall Louis posted:

Are we talking Red Hat or LPIC/Comptia?

The latter.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently working on a helpdesk, and they have an open system admin position they want to groom me into. I need to get my server admin certs but i don't really know where to start and what resources to use. I haven't taken a cert in around 8 years so i'm way out of the loop on that.

I browsed the thread a bit, but figured i could get a more direct answer from posting the question.

Where should i start? I'm working on the A+ and Network+ in my free time and that stuff seems pretty straightforward, but as far as the MCSE/MCSA, and i'm sure there's other i should work towards, do i just get the microsoft book for the test and then just study my butt off?

Tia.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Don't waste your time with A+. Network+ might be a decent intro to networking, but perhaps you might consider getting a vendor cert like CCNA instead? How much time do you have to do it?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
OSCP should change it's motto to "Try Less Hard" because I'm real bad at zoning on in the most difficult attack vector possible, or way overcomplicating things. Taking a short break and coming back to it has been stupidly helpful.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
CCNA expires in a month, and cramming for a CCNP-level exam in that short a timespan seems like a double or nothing gamble. Any opinions on the new CCNA:Wireless exam?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Contingency posted:

CCNA expires in a month, and cramming for a CCNP-level exam in that short a timespan seems like a double or nothing gamble. Any opinions on the new CCNA:Wireless exam?

Have you thought about the CCDA exam? One test, CBTnuggets has a class for the new exam. Not sure if any new books are out yet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

skooma512 posted:

Don't waste your time with A+. Network+ might be a decent intro to networking, but perhaps you might consider getting a vendor cert like CCNA instead? How much time do you have to do it?

I think Security+ and CCENT would be a good combo for those starting out. There was a lot of overlap with Network+ and Security+ and Security+ seems to be the more valued certification.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
hi, I failed the icnd 1 on 29th with a 780 and after doubling up on reading + cbtnuggets skimming, i passed on 5/9 with an 855! Both times I saw zero ipv6 questions, it mostly subnetting and troubleshooting. I'm studying for icnd 2 to get a ccna before I start job searching, as ccna holds more weight then ccent. Cisco sent me a 30% off coupon for the ciscopress store (good til 12/16). I was contemplating holding on to it for a CCNP book further down the line, assuming I get a ccna and a job first. Right now I'm using the combo of lammle's book, CBTnuggets, GNS3, and combing forums for tips.
1. Any tips for ICND2 studying?
2. Would there be anything on ciscopress thats recommended (I'm directionless after ccna r/s)?
pre emptive thank you for any advice.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I don't have to do A+, Network+ or Secruity+, was just gonna do those to have them. I need to schedule my first test for fall for the MCSA stuff and get my certs for that started.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Loose Ifer posted:

I don't have to do A+, Network+ or Secruity+, was just gonna do those to have them. I need to schedule my first test for fall for the MCSA stuff and get my certs for that started.

A+ is a $400 investment to proving you can work an entry level helpdesk job. Unless you're in a WGU program there is absolutely no reason to have it, save your money. Network+ is great for starting out, I used it to land my first IT job. 6 months job experience in IT makes the N+ obsolete, though. Security+ is the only compTIA worth "getting just to have," and that's only because the government values it.

Spambort posted:

hi, I failed the icnd 1 on 29th with a 780 and after doubling up on reading + cbtnuggets skimming, i passed on 5/9 with an 855! Both times I saw zero ipv6 questions, it mostly subnetting and troubleshooting. I'm studying for icnd 2 to get a ccna before I start job searching, as ccna holds more weight then ccent. Cisco sent me a 30% off coupon for the ciscopress store (good til 12/16). I was contemplating holding on to it for a CCNP book further down the line, assuming I get a ccna and a job first. Right now I'm using the combo of lammle's book, CBTnuggets, GNS3, and combing forums for tips.
1. Any tips for ICND2 studying?
2. Would there be anything on ciscopress thats recommended (I'm directionless after ccna r/s)?
pre emptive thank you for any advice.

Labs. Set up a 3 router topology, 3 switches off each router with STP, numerous vlans split among the switches. Configure ACLs to your hearts content, whatever silly scenario you can come up with as to why a machine should be able to contact something in this vlan but not that vlan, the more complex the better. Set up 3 routing protocols with standard priority (and memorize that priority) and propagate them through the network. Name one rando computer the administrator machine and configure everything on the network to allow telnet / ssh connections from it. Do this over and over again until you have it from memory.

That's a great place to start the ICND2 studying.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 11, 2016

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A+ is a $400 investment to proving you can work an entry level helpdesk job. Unless you're in a WGU program there is absolutely no reason to have it, save your money. Network+ is great for starting out, I used it to land my first IT job. 6 months job experience in IT makes the N+ obsolete, though. Security+ is the only compTIA worth "getting just to have," and that's only because the government values it.

Well i shouldn't bother with any of those then really. What's the best place to start for MCSA then. Just figure out the tests and buy the books?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Loose Ifer posted:

Well i shouldn't bother with any of those then really. What's the best place to start for MCSA then. Just figure out the tests and buy the books?

MCSA Server 2012 is not a cert for the faint-hearted if you're relatively inexperienced. You will not do well if you just read textbooks. It's a very broad set of exams and you'll need hands-on experience to make the knowledge stick. Even with practice tests, you'll still need to understand the "why" behind the question, because they change the questions up every so often and you'll need to be able to think on your feet. There are a few interface-based questions as well and textbooks will not prepare you for that. Microsoft has some online labs and you can download and use evaluation (time-limited) versions of Windows Server for free. itfreetraining on Youtube is kind of dry, does a great job of breaking down complex concepts like federation services, certificates and what not.

Set up a virtual environment and create server VMs, mess around with them, break them, fix them and if all else fails, destroy them and start over and get it right.

HPL fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 11, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Well, what do you do want actually do with these certs? Do you have a career goal in mind?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Well, what do you do want actually do with these certs? Do you have a career goal in mind?

I want to be a server administrator eventually. I've been a helpdesk jockey for about 6 years and finally have some urge to advance. So i'm trying to find the best path to get there from where i'm at now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What the hell is TOGAF foundation certified and on a scale of ITIL to VCP how much bullshit is it?

It looks like mostly marketing buzzword management crap, but a job I am interested in is all about it. If It's something I could study for a month and get great. Plus a former nemesis has listed it as a pending cert on his LinkedIn and I'd love to spite him and get it too, possibly even before him.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What the hell is TOGAF foundation certified and on a scale of ITIL to VCP how much bullshit is it?

It looks like mostly marketing buzzword management crap, but a job I am interested in is all about it. If It's something I could study for a month and get great. Plus a former nemesis has listed it as a pending cert on his LinkedIn and I'd love to spite him and get it too, possibly even before him.

We're going through ITIL training next week. How much bullshit should I expect, and should I bother taking the test at the end to get "certified"?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Grimshak posted:

We're going through ITIL training next week. How much bullshit should I expect, and should I bother taking the test at the end to get "certified"?

Are you paying for the test? I mean, if you're going through the training why not take the exam? I am pretty sure they don't expire, add it to your alphabet soup.

v-- I literally slept through 75% of the class (I had an awful 2+ hour drive there and ended up working after going home till late in the evening) and I passed the test no problem after reviewing the material for a few hours.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 11, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Grimshak posted:

The hardest part will be staying awake through the training. It's not terrible and I've certainly gained something from my cert and learning about it but its incredibly boring dry material, lots of acronyms and lingo.

The test is easy though and the cert can only help you so go for it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do you like the words "Boundaryless Information Flow"?

TOGAF is probably closer to an unholy combination of ITIL and PMP. I didn't get it. I looked at it and walked away realizing I have no interest in another framework cert after ITIL.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
ITIL doesnt have a lot of bullshit, just a lot of boring.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed the CISSP exam. I think all told, it took me about 2:45, including reviewing the questions I flagged. It definitely wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, but there were quite a few questions that I don't think I would have been able to answer without my professional experience and master's coursework.

As others have mentioned, most questions are scenario based and require you to pick the "most correct" answer in the eyes of the ISC2. The Eric Conrad book does a good job of hammering this home.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

psydude posted:

Passed the CISSP exam.

Congrats! :yotj:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Congrats!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ozu posted:

Do you like the words "Boundaryless Information Flow"?

TOGAF is probably closer to an unholy combination of ITIL and PMP. I didn't get it. I looked at it and walked away realizing I have no interest in another framework cert after ITIL.

So incredibly boring and full of meaningless created buzzwords and jargon but easy? I'd really love to be able to spend $40 on a book and a month studying and then just shove this cert in this guys face.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MrBigglesworth posted:

ITIL doesnt have a lot of bullshit, just a lot of boring.

Yeah, I've been part of a few organizations that could use a big 'ol slap of ITIL upside the head. It's great for large companies where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd really love to be able to spend $40 on a book and a month studying and then just shove this cert in this guys face.

New thread title right here.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

HPL posted:

MCSA Server 2012 is not a cert for the faint-hearted if you're relatively inexperienced. You will not do well if you just read textbooks. It's a very broad set of exams and you'll need hands-on experience to make the knowledge stick. Even with practice tests, you'll still need to understand the "why" behind the question, because they change the questions up every so often and you'll need to be able to think on your feet. There are a few interface-based questions as well and textbooks will not prepare you for that. Microsoft has some online labs and you can download and use evaluation (time-limited) versions of Windows Server for free. itfreetraining on Youtube is kind of dry, does a great job of breaking down complex concepts like federation services, certificates and what not.

Set up a virtual environment and create server VMs, mess around with them, break them, fix them and if all else fails, destroy them and start over and get it right.

Microsoft's exams are poorly done, continually ask ridiculous "gotcha" questions even the most senior admins balk at for sheer obscurity. It's still possible to pass though even with the official MS Pressbooks or whatever Vendor publication with various labs or real-world experience.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 11, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

Microsoft's exams are poorly done, continually ask ridiculous "gotcha" questions even the most senior admins balk at for sheer obscurity. It's still possible to pass though even with the official MS Pressbooks or whatever Vendor publication with various labs or real-world experience.

Make sure you know what Get-ADDomainControllerPasswordReplicationPolicyUsage does.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Marshall Louis posted:

Have you thought about the CCDA exam? One test, CBTnuggets has a class for the new exam. Not sure if any new books are out yet.

That's a good recommendation. I checked, and the Cisco Press OCG won't be out until July. Oh well.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

I want to be a server administrator eventually. I've been a helpdesk jockey for about 6 years and finally have some urge to advance. So i'm trying to find the best path to get there from where i'm at now.

Pick one you can stick with and at least semi-enjoy. Although you're a little hamstrung in that MCSA is a bullshit test atm.

I guess you could do what I'm doing and take the first half of CCNA, ICND1. Any admin will have to know networking even they don't touch the switches and it's more beefy than N+.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think RHCSA and AWS certifications are probably a quicker and more valuable path than MCSA if you want to do server sysadmin work.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Those who have passed ICND2, how long did it take you from when you passed ICND1 to when you passed ICND2? Just trying to get a feel for how much time I can expect to need before even considering taking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I did my ICND2 about a week after my ICND1, but I studied the materials for both up front and then recapped on the ICND2 stuff in the week in between