Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im glad someone finally made this decision for me. it was a real nail biter. thanks, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Samsung VR thing is the best because Samsung heard about this VR trend and immediately held a brainstorming session regarding how they could shoehorn their lovely phones into it

"what if we made a headset... that you had to plug a Samsung phone into or it doesn't work?"

"BRILLIANT, that's why we hired you Chad"

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I have yet to be convinced that VR will be more than a phase, maybe once the technology improves and the hardware doesn't cost as much as buying a computer.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I bet losers in 72 also thought pong was a waste of time with no tangible benefit or future.

They were right about the first two though, while y'all are dead wrong. VR is only going to get bigger and lamer.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Helpimscared posted:

I have yet to be convinced that VR will be more than a phase, maybe once the technology improves and the hardware doesn't cost as much as buying a computer.

its hilarious that you can buy a mediocre pc for the same price as a bad headset filled with shovelware

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
google cardboard 2.0 is pretty cool and costs like $12. LOL at buying a first gen HMD tho. If in 10 years an HMD with 8k per eye is released I'll buy it day one.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Full disclosure I haven't tried any VR except the Google cardboard on my boss's phone.

It's exciting stuff though because I could see myself wasting far too much time playing games if the quality was good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I played that Oculus game where you're a human at dolphin school trying to cheat on their dolphin final exam, and it was ok but I got about all the enjoyment out of it from my 10-minute demo that was really possible to get, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
VR is here to stay, just like 3D movies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Celluloid Sam posted:

I got a 30 dollar viewmaster branded VR set for my phone and it works with all the cardboard apps and pretty much everything that doesn't need oculus support on the Android store and I've had a lot of fun with it, it's honestly really cool to be able to look round anywhere on street view and there is a ton of historic and cool buildings with full walk throughs which are really neat, I saw Casa Loma in Toronto.

i was at casa Loma last week. high five casa Loma pals!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I don't see why VR isn't going to be a market, I doubt everyone in America for example will have one, but I doubt it's dead.. It's just not going to be a big or worthwhile thing for maybe a couple generations of the stuff, when a single decent game comes out on it and it doesn't cost much more than a monitor.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

I bet losers in 72 also thought pong was a waste of time with no tangible benefit or future.

They were right about the first two though, while y'all are dead wrong. VR is only going to get bigger and lamer.

I feel like the only concern over this is whether or not it's cheap enough to "take off", I could still see it flopping just due to lack of widespread adoption.

OP vid seemed like one of those dumb infomercials about people being incompetent though, I recognized several games they were demoing from other vr demos and in the other demos where they spent more than a 10 second jab on each game the people looked like they were getting immersed and having fun. They do have a good point about some sort of motion peripheral being ideal to truly experience it though, and that's just gonna make it even more cost prohibitive.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
VR is definitely the future of personal entertainment, but an expensive goggle that is tethered to a high end gaming PC is not.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

notZaar posted:

VR is definitely the future of personal entertainment, but an expensive goggle that is tethered to a high end gaming PC is not.

If/when the technology gets cheap enough I think the ideal solution would just be having the system be part of whatever motion peripheral (like an omni directional treadmill) so you just buy one big box item and you're done with it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

what in the actual gently caress

I watched from the beginning. This is some messed up furry poo poo.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Unlike regular gaming which is a useful and meaningful activity.

Please educate us on the most meaningful and productive ways to spend our precious free time. Your name suggests you know all the secrets. :gary:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like the only concern over this is whether or not it's cheap enough to "take off", I could still see it flopping just due to lack of widespread adoption.

OP vid seemed like one of those dumb infomercials about people being incompetent though, I recognized several games they were demoing from other vr demos and in the other demos where they spent more than a 10 second jab on each game the people looked like they were getting immersed and having fun. They do have a good point about some sort of motion peripheral being ideal to truly experience it though, and that's just gonna make it even more cost prohibitive.

Viewmaster makes a $30 headset that's received good reviews.

Whether or not the games are gimmicks is the fault of the developers. Make a fighter jet game and I'll play that poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would like to see Elite Dangerous and Project Cars in VR but I'm not willing to pay for it, also my computer is below spec.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
got danng it i used to be able to do those magic eye things but now it just doesnt work, no matter how hard i try. thanks thread, for illustrating yet another one of my failings!!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wafflz posted:

I would like to see Elite Dangerous and Project Cars in VR but I'm not willing to pay for it, also my computer is below spec.

Yeah if your computer is below spec then you will puke, prrtty much guaranteed

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
How in the hell is original doom not available yet. Seems like that would be pretty fun. Pretty sure I remember seeing someone getting it to run on a godamn toaster oven. But enjoy your crappy 3d paintings you loving virgin loser.

Aug 4, 2010

ManDingo posted:

How in the hell is original doom not available yet.

it is.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

www posted:

it is.

Ah so it is. Turns out my early adopter friends are even lamer than I thought.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

EDIT: Virtual Boy had a class-action lawsuit because it gave a bunch of kids glasses. LOL

that's completely hosed up, where did it even get the glasses from??

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

ArbitraryC posted:

Eh.. Give it a couple years for the hardware to improve and for the cost to come down. After the game making tools mature, it would be trivial to simply add VR rendering support to any FPS game. If you want, you can play it on a monitor or just slap some glasses on instead. Overall experience should remain pretty similar.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

is this goatse?

Turn ur monitor back on

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I don't see why VR isn't going to be a market, I doubt everyone in America for example will have one, but I doubt it's dead.. It's just not going to be a big or worthwhile thing for maybe a couple generations of the stuff, when a single decent game comes out on it and it doesn't cost much more than a monitor.

there are a few decent games wirh vr support already. elite, dcs, various racing sims. vr will be really big in sim-gaming in general.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
I want to play VR SIM Toastmaker so that I may be able to virtually create my toast masterpiece.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

loquacius posted:

Yeah he's not wrong

You can buy your own modem and router if you want to avoid paying their ridiculous rental fees, but for some reason you can't do that with a cable box and it's not included in your price

Yeah you can, if you're in the US I believe they're obligated to give you a Cablecard if you ask for one

I've been using one for years with an hdhomerun, gently caress those lovely cable boxes and their 1990s technology

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

raditts posted:

Yeah you can, if you're in the US I believe they're obligated to give you a Cablecard if you ask for one

I've been using one for years with an hdhomerun, gently caress those lovely cable boxes and their 1990s technology

Good luck getting your cable company to do it. And when they do, they will charge you a rental on the cable card

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I played that eve Valkyrie game and that was rad. I think that its cost prohibitive and resource prohibitive right now but once the price comes down and more content is available it'll probably become more prevalent. I don't see there ever being one in every home for a long time, though.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Helpimscared posted:

It's not even really a phase. The media loves to write about VR but only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of hardcore gamers owns an oculus or vive.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Cubone posted:

can you suck the anime balls yet?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm sure it will be at least as successful as the virtual boy.

I showed someone a picture of the virtual boy once while claiming it was the oculus and they didn't know any difference. They were just really excited to spend way too much money on something they can't even really use because even just seeing 3D movies in theaters makes them motion sick.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not even really a phase. The media loves to write about VR but only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of hardcore gamers owns an oculus or vive.

The media loves vr for the same reason they like touchscreens, robots, and hoverboards. They all look like what people thought the future was going to look like when they were kids.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Mange Mite posted:

The media loves vr for the same reason they like touchscreens, robots, and hoverboards. They all look like what people thought the future was going to look like when they were kids.

And its a goddamn shame it hasn't become it yet. I just watched Back to the Future 2 yesterday and I feel robbed in in this lovely future

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

And its a goddamn shame it hasn't become it yet. I just watched Back to the Future 2 yesterday and I feel robbed in in this lovely future

Go watch lawnmower man

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Robocop vaguely refers to something called the Rainforest Wars, and Brazil's government is currently melting down...

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's back to the future day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I can't do magic eyes :nsamad:

• Locked thread