Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Help this cheap looking inter-dimensional portal thing is pulling me towards it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She doesn't deserve this

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blow the budget on the first 5 minutes with Darkseid destroying the Earth and she gets flung into the CWverse, Earth 2 style

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only two options are that it stays its own universe or that they transport a couple characters to the shared universe that exists already. Both seem like dumb decisions. If it stays its own universe the budget will be slashed so much that it will probably hardly resemble what it was. If it transports a few characters over then again it'll hardly resemble what it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They can have Rip's team gently caress up and destroy the timestream and when it rebuilds National City will be a part of reality and only Barry will notice the difference.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Cast an actual Clark Kent/Superman, which would be cheaper than Martian Manhunter in terms of effects, btw. Then profit from the ratings boost and cost cutting. Congrats on the money. Hire me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Cast an actual Superman, have it be a big reveal/buildup, reveal it's Val Zod and he's only in like 1 episode. Profit from once again disappointing everyone watching. Hire me.

(or legit just have Val Zod be a character, that'd be cool too, I don't think the DCCU will use Earth 2 characters any time soon)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Due to budget cuts we will be outsourcing our incarceration facilities to STAR Labs."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

"Due to budget cuts we will be outsourcing our incarceration facilities to the Island of Lian Yu"

Inmates will be provided with lovely wigs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're going to change the name to Power Girl after she comes to the CW universe. Get around that $3M licensing fee.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've only seen the pilot and the Flash crossover, is Supergirl really that expensive a show? It seemed pretty low budget already.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

They're going to change the name to Power Girl after she comes to the CW universe. Get around that $3M licensing fee.

I don't get why the license fee is so high. It immediately handicaps the show's budget.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I've only seen the pilot and the Flash crossover, is Supergirl really that expensive a show? It seemed pretty low budget already.
It is low budget because all the money goes to licensing and there's only like :10bux: left for everything else.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does anyone know the Flash's license fee as a comparison? Google is failing me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
How the gently caress does Supergirl have such a high Licensing rate?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JT Smiley posted:

The pilot had great special effects for TV. That airplane rescue would have looked like garbage on CW.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lookin' forward to the time Supergirl crosses universes and ends up co-starring in an episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

edit: Rachel Bloom would make a pretty good Power Girl, just sayin'.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

X-O posted:

The pilot had great special effects for TV. That airplane rescue would have looked like garbage on CW.

I dunno CW shows can usually get away with one or two amazing looking set pieces per year.

That Flash Train rescue scene I remember being pretty drat good from season 1.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

That's a good way to get rid of characters/actors that might cost too much like Martian Manhunter or Cat Grant.

They can just have them appear by showing their shoes only, and communicating to Kara only by text messages.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

NBC has picked up DC's Powerless. The comedy is set in the DC Universe and is about a young insurance adjuster who deals with regular people that need help with damage caused by superheroes. Vanessa Hudgens stars and it also features Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi, and Christina Kirk. And it's a half hour sitcom on NBC so could last anywhere from 6-13 episodes before cancellation.

This is going to be a series filled with SNL skits that never made it to air. I give it two months.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

I dunno CW shows can usually get away with one or two amazing looking set pieces per year.

That Flash Train rescue scene I remember being pretty drat good from season 1.

That Airplane sequence looked a million time better than the Flash train sequence. And that train sequence was the best looking thing the show ever did.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well, production is probably moving to Vancouver so now National City will look eeriely similar to Vancouver and not Los Angeles. Also something something tax incentives and lowered production costs.

Also, lol @ people thinking they'll jail the Supergirl metas. They'll just get Barry to murder them all.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 12, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

That's a good way to get rid of characters/actors that might cost too much like Martian Manhunter or Cat Grant.

So the only reason to watch the show?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Seriously, Cat Grant is that show.

I would probably rather watch a bog standard CW show just about Cat Grant running her media conglomerate. Than Supergirl without Cat in it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Scyantific posted:

Well, production is probably moving to Vancouver so now National City will look eeriely similar to Vancouver and not Los Angeles. Also something something tax incentives and lowered production costs.

Also, lol @ people thinking they'll jail the Supergirl metas. They'll just get Barry to murder them all.

Vancouver is Star City at night, Central City during the day, and National City at dusk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The CW also picked up the Archie show as well, so we now live in a world where Luke Perry is Archie Andrews' dad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't get why the license fee is so high. It immediately handicaps the show's budget.

The first step is to imagine how much drugs such a licensing fee could buy the execs at Warner Bros. The second step is to imagine that they are already under the influence when making these decisions. Suddenly things like this and the Batman V. Superman make sense.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

Seriously, Cat Grant is that show.

I would probably rather watch a bog standard CW show just about Cat Grant running her media conglomerate. Than Supergirl without Cat in it.

According to THR she's staying: Calista Flockhart — who, despite being adamant about working in L.A., agreed to remain on the series with its move to Vancouver

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Koalas March posted:

According to THR she's staying: Calista Flockhart — who, despite being adamant about working in L.A., agreed to remain on the series with its move to Vancouver

Thank goodness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if they'll kill off Jimmy and introduce us to his CWverse counterpart who happens to be white.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

That's not what "licensing" means in the context of broadcast television

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Jimmy is the weakest part of the show since they stopped Winn's friendzone whining all the time. It wouldn't surprise me to see him on the chopping block.

If Cat is staying with the show then I'm on board to give it a full go. Benoist is the adorable heart of the show but Flockhart makes it actually be interesting and fun.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Looks like Agent Peggy Carter was declared dead twice in one week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/agent-carter-canceled-at-abc-893499

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The first step is to imagine how much drugs such a licensing fee could buy the execs at Warner Bros. The second step is to imagine that they are already under the influence when making these decisions. Suddenly things like this and the Batman V. Superman make sense.

WB isn't making the decision, CBS is.

It's not like Supergirl was a show they had to have at any cost. CBS agreed to pay $3mil.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yay, Marvel's Most Wanted is not getting a series order!

Backdoor pilot was dull as hell and while I like SHIELD despite its decline in quality since the first half of S2, I don't particularly want to see a direct spinoff.

ABC, try doing something with Marvel that isn't an espionage show. Maybe NBC and WB won't beat you to it this time!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Barry Convex posted:

Backdoor pilot was dull as hell and while I like SHIELD despite its decline in quality since the first half of S2, I don't particularly want to see a direct spinoff.

ABC, try doing something with Marvel that isn't an espionage show. Maybe NBC and WB won't beat you to it this time!

I, for one, would welcome them to use someone like Kamala Khan and give her a TV series. It practically writes itself - she's a fangirl of the Avengers, aspires to be like them and she's an inhuman, who they have already introduced on AoS. It would bring some much needed diversity to the MCU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

They announced their powerless copy first I think.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They announced their powerless copy first I think.

Yeah, but Powerless actually made it out of the development stage to get a pilot (now series) order.

EDIT: Powerless was announced first, in fact.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I, for one, would welcome them to use someone like Kamala Khan and give her a TV series. It practically writes itself - she's a fangirl of the Avengers, aspires to be like them and she's an inhuman, who they have already introduced on AoS. It would bring some much needed diversity to the MCU

They could totally do a backdoor pilot by adapting the Agents of SHIELD comic issue where Simmons goes undercover as Kamala's supply teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wentworth Miller is no longer a regular on Legends of Tomorrow. There goes literally the only reason to ever watch that show.