Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Hunt11 posted:

The way I took that scene was that anybody else in the rescue group and there would be a second hesitation before Bakugo acted as with everybody else in the group there is some complications. With Kirishima there is no such issue because for the first time in a while Bakugou has somebody who he considers a friend and not a lackey or Deku.

I think another reason why Deku planned it out this way is so Bakugou would have to save himself. Bakugou would be pissed if say, Iida ran by and grabbed him as fast as he could. This way, Bakugou got to use his own powers to get himself out of this situation, so his pride probably won't take as much of a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reading this chapter All for One is the one who sounds like the Heroic teacher that's going to sacrifice himself so his pupil can escape.
I gotta wonder what his weakness is since he seems like he's hardly trying so far, but doesn't seem to be expressing any sort of over-confidence. Does he just run out of gas like All Might?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

I gotta wonder what his weakness is since he seems like he's hardly trying so far, but doesn't seem to be expressing any sort of over-confidence. Does he just run out of gas like All Might?
Considering that his body's still in tatters I have to imagine that he has a hard limit on what he can dish out. As for the lack of over-confidence even though he's probably the most OP character in the comic, that just seems to be his personality. Or at least the one he's projecting at the moment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He probably wants, or at least wanted, All-Might alive so he could take his quirk, even if we assume (and I wouldn't) that AfO doesn't know about OfA. I'd bet All-Might didn't (at the time, considering he's talking about arresting and locking up here) have any qualms about killing AfO.

So, even if All-Might wasn't stronger and faster than him at the time, he was operating under a sort of big handicap.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Stealing the quirk of anyone who tries to fight him is probably his first move. One for all is sentient, so it probably can't be stolen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He probably can't just steal peoples quirks like that.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

We know AfO had a hand in making OfA. ...had a hand. that's just a little joke. thanks everyone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Serious Frolicking posted:

Stealing the quirk of anyone who tries to fight him is probably his first move. One for all is sentient, so it probably can't be stolen.

Or maybe it's that he can only steal a person's natural quirk. That might be why One For All is just so dangerous to him; it's because he can't steal it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nalin posted:

Or maybe it's that he can only steal a person's natural quirk. That might be why One For All is just so dangerous to him; it's because he can't steal it.

He gave his brother One For All in the first place, I don't see why he couldn't take it back. If I had to guess, taking quirks is non-trivial, and he's just not gotten the opportunity to do whatever it is he needed to do to someone who was super fast and strong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

He gave his brother One For All in the first place, I don't see why he couldn't take it back. If I had to guess, taking quirks is non-trivial, and he's just not gotten the opportunity to do whatever it is he needed to do to someone who was super fast and strong.

One for all is made out of ghosts now.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It'd be really god damned boring if you could just take someones quirk as easy as touching them, or easier even. Just boring and loving dumb.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, there's a TL up on batoto by a group called 'mangafast'.

I looked at their TL last week and it's utter trash. I refuse to read it.

Just FYI for anyone who checks batoto frequently, they seem to to be sniping popular projects (hero and food wars so far).

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Their translation for this week is more passable than the one they did for last week, but that wasn't a high bar to clear. I don't blame you for not wanting to read them.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Never gonna question someone for waiting for the official release or FA, but I want my fix fast and I tend to read the chapter again anyway.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sarcophallus posted:

Did he give his brother One For All? I might have gotten it wrong, but the way I understood it was that he gave a plain and simple super-strength Quirk to his brother, which then merged with his brother's original one ("transfer my Quirk to someone else") to become One For All. So All For One might not be able to take it back, because it's different than what he gave away in the first place.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mikl posted:

Did he give his brother One For All? I might have gotten it wrong, but the way I understood it was that he gave a plain and simple super-strength Quirk to his brother, which then merged with his brother's original one ("transfer my Quirk to someone else") to become One For All. So All For One might not be able to take it back, because it's different than what he gave away in the first place.

It wasn't a super strength quirk, actually, it was a "power accumulation" quirk. The original One For All wasn't as powerful as what we've seen. Nor was it in the hands of the person AFO's brother passed it to. It's explicitly stated to grow in power with each new person who has it; AFO hasn't been dealing with a stream of All Might-level people since he started this, because All Might is the first person at his level. It's also why All Might was able to make such a big impact despite his quirk having originally belonged to someone else; when he got it, it was even more powerful than it had ever been previously. (Which also means that, should Deku ever manage to really get OFA under control, he's going to exceed All Might, though given that this is a shonen series that's kind of expected anyway.)

Also, given that AFO killing All Might's mentor who gave him the quirk (who was also possibly Shigaraki's father apparently) was a big deal, I don't think passing on OFA is in and of itself a death sentence, unless that series of events went down in a very specific way.

As for why AFO couldn't take it back, well, besides, again, it not being that impressive when his brother had it and him likely not having any reason to care or even awareness that he created a new quirk, AFO probably can't just steal powers at a touch. There's almost definitely more to it than that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 13, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Twiddy posted:

Never gonna question someone for waiting for the official release or FA, but I want my fix fast and I tend to read the chapter again anyway.

I read each chapter again every time a new translation comes out :negative:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vengarr posted:

No, that's exactly why he's trying to get Shigaraki to be more driven and focused. You need a strong mind and a strong will to possess so many quirks, and Shiggy is still just a man-baby at this point.

There is a zero percent chance that a guy named All For One who lives entirely to steal from others is actually training up a successor from the goodness of his heart.

That doesn't really jive with his actions so far. He's totally training up a successor, and it's not from the goodness of his heart. It's from the badness of his heart. Remember, just because he's charming and supportive and genuinely nice to his minions doesn't suddenly make him not a villain. He acts that way because after over a hundred years of experience in villainy he's learned that the best way to get people to take your side is to make them like you. To make them feel valuable. To make them feel wanted. To make them feel they genuinely have something to gain by being by your side, instead of being executed over a small mistake. He wants villainy to succeed, and he's come to feel that the best way to ensure that is to create fresh villains with fresh ideas. He believes in the potential of the next generation. It's just a pity the potential he believes in is their potential to be evil.

tl:dr He's literally the wise old master passing the torch to the next generation. It's like how all the older (read: 30+ years old) characters were like in Naruto, like a villainous Third Hokage. But evil.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bakugou and Kirishima's moment was really cool. This comic does a great job of making the secondary characters shine and feel important. I hope that continues.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Roland Jones posted:

AFO probably can't just steal powers at a touch. There's almost definitely more to it than that.

Considering that his brother's quirk requires the subject to consume your DNA, it seems reasonable that AFO would work the same way, in reverse.

AFO has eaten a lot of hair, is what I'm saying.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/090/3406/1

Chapter. It's really good.

Also something I didn't catch last week. When Ida is grabbing Deku. Yayorozu is holding Kirishima back.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wowzas. I got chills down my spine on that last page.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It occurs to me that, despite villainy not really being in his character, you could probably do a pretty good story out of Deku getting apprenticed by AfO instead of All Might. His backstory is a reasonable setup for him going that direction, and AfO seems like a way better teacher than All Might is--he and Deku would make a good pair. Of course, it'd probably be way more clichéd, but it's fun to think about.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo, Bakugou was actually happy to see someone.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sheer hype aside I just wanna point out that AfO was disappointed All Might didn't manage to reach 600 km/h. :stare:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 13, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, Bakugou was actually happy to see someone.

Bakugou/Kirishima is an extremely good pairing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

It occurs to me that, despite villainy not really being in his character, you could probably do a pretty good story out of Deku getting apprenticed by AfO instead of All Might. His backstory is a reasonable setup for him going that direction, and AfO seems like a way better teacher than All Might is--he and Deku would make a good pair. Of course, it'd probably be way more clichéd, but it's fun to think about.

Huh? What about Deku's backstory makes it seem likely that All For One would tutor him?

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
All For One min maxing his quirk combos is so cool

All For One seems like a really cool villain so far, i hope he doesn't get killed early on.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
One really nice detail about the manga is that sometimes when a character says something like "Whenever X felt like this, he did Y" they show some flashback panels to almost sort of substantiate the argument. Like here. don't know if certain tiny panels were written to plan for things like this or if the author looks back on the manga and sees what examples he can find...or a combination of both. But it really adds to making the storytelling feel really tight and not wasting any space with weird filler.

It makes it feel like nothing is dead air if that makes sense.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, the whole thing about no unauthorized fighting under any circumstances at all really just does not cross over the cultural divide.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

the fanfiction just writes itself

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hopeford posted:

One really nice detail about the manga is that sometimes when a character says something like "Whenever X felt like this, he did Y" they show some flashback panels to almost sort of substantiate the argument. Like here. don't know if certain tiny panels were written to plan for things like this or if the author looks back on the manga and sees what examples he can find...or a combination of both. But it really adds to making the storytelling feel really tight and not wasting any space with weird filler.

It makes it feel like nothing is dead air if that makes sense.

I think one thing that has been shown over and over again is that Horikoshi is an excellent mangaka.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I found interesting about AfO's quirk usage is that it seems like he can use quirks in different ratios and "stack" the same quirk multiple times. I'm not sure if the "x4" referred to allocating more power to that quirk or literally using 4 of the same quirk captured from different people.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

His comment makes it seem like he's stacking multiples of similar quirks. Like he said something about stealing another reinforcing quirk for the air blast combo he did.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh? What about Deku's backstory makes it seem likely that All For One would tutor him?

His entire childhood is him getting dumped on by the designated 'hero'. Now, our main universe Deku held out hope through it all, kind of to the point of delusion (Deku, if you want to be a hero someday at least do some physical training I mean come on), but it's not *too* big of a stretch for him to just kind of give in under all that and resent the world's constant encouragement of Bakugou, who is kind of a terrible person--sort of like Stain's outlook on things. A nice little wellspring of resentment to draw from, there, and with proper nurturing you can turn that into full-blown hatred and more! Outside of that, Deku already has some of the qualities that AfO is trying to instill in Shigaraki--he's a thinker, through and through, and if anybody could use AfO to its full potential (aside from AfO himself), it's Deku.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I like that A4O even takes the time to explain to Shigaraki's goon why his teleportation quirk isn't the best choice in this scenario, instead of just glaring at him or telling him not to ask questions. Plus that flippant little hand shake after All Might punches him was pretty bad rear end.

Baron Explodokill managing to hold out 6 vs. 1 for so long was impressive too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

God drat I can't wait for all this to be animated.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, AFO is just a hella rad villain, and I hope that Shigaraki manages to close the coolness gap as effectively as Deku is set to do with All Might. I believe in you, you little handsy weirdo.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I have a feeling that if they were A: on top of their game and not disoriented and freaked out, and B: not trying to pull their punches, he would've had a lot rougher time.

But yes, he's still pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cryophage posted:

Considering that his brother's quirk requires the subject to consume your DNA, it seems reasonable that AFO would work the same way, in reverse.

AFO has eaten a lot of hair, is what I'm saying.

The fact that One for All can be willingly given to another person, but only under certain conditions could be one reason why All for One hasn't stolen it back. The fact that it has a specific means for transference probably locks it against being transferred, unlike other quirks with no means of transference.