Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I really think the Scott the Engineer push up challenge has the greatest meltdowns ever.

I TOLD YOU NOT TO USE THE TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET OUTTTTTTTAAAA HERE!!!!

No fuckin' way, Gange!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GET OUTTA MY FACE

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
drat it now I have to watch that whole thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIM7xJ14Do

Jesus, this was almost 20 years ago at this point...I remember watching it on E! and listening to whole saga unfold on the radio.

gently caress, I'm getting old.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"10 minutes times 10 cigarettes, how long is it?"
"10 minutes times 10 cigarettes is.... an hour.... wait..."
"Every time they have a cigarette it's 10 minutes!"
"It's... an hour and 40? I don't know"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm aware of what happened to KC and Stuttering John when they left the Stern show, but I don't think anybody has really explained it to me - when they left, was it abrupt? Was it mentioned on the show or did they ignore it? Did Stern constantly berate Stuttering John as soon as it was revealed that he was going to the Tonight Show?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm aware of what happened to KC and Stuttering John when they left the Stern show, but I don't think anybody has really explained it to me - when they left, was it abrupt? Was it mentioned on the show or did they ignore it? Did Stern constantly berate Stuttering John as soon as it was revealed that he was going to the Tonight Show?

John's departure really irked Howard. I believe he gave two weeks' notice, but the second of the two weeks was a planned vacation week. It was definitely not ignored on the show. The entire studio (save Artie) went after him pretty hard, and Howard was particularly bothered by Jay Leno's involvement, i.e. that Jay did not approach Howard about it. I think that actually started the Howard/Jay feud, really, or greatly intensified it if it was already ongoing at that time.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

KC had a breakdown and was asked to leave pretty much....

This is all you need to know about John and the tonight show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVVC6as36c

Niggerlesscage

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I can't tell you how many times I've said "NO FUCKIN' WAY GANGE!" over the years to people who have no idea what I'm talking about.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Smeep posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've said "NO FUCKIN' WAY GANGE!" over the years to people who have no idea what I'm talking about.

I rolled around in a Radu shirt to the gym for a few years a long time ago....and it always resulted in questions.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That last day John was on the show and they were all passive aggressively/aggressively sniping at him is pretty great too. It really got under Howard's skin and watching John try to weasel his way out of it is so funny. It's great too when he starts praising Jay's stand up and they all call bullshit on him. Then awhile later he went on Adam Corolla's show and badmouthed Howard and the flood gates opened.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If you ever got tired of John's ways all you had to do was wait for him to truly gently caress up and watch Howard absolutely unload on him. Howard would be merciless and constantly remind John his only talent was stuttering. It really bothered John, too, in a very noticeable way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, John used to get really down. Like most of the staff, he lived for Howard's praise.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I really miss how much John would stir the pot. I lost count of how many times I cut class or was late for work because of it. Hell, for a year or two I only took delivery type jobs so I could get paid to listen to the car radio all morning. I got "stuck in traffic" a lot.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Its weird how bitter and petty Howard is about people leaving.

This isnt professional sports Howie, the other team doesnt have to ask permission to take your people. Maybe pay them more and theyd stay.

Everybody makes their own deal right Robin?...Robin? Fred what is this commercial for?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
John was worth whatever he got paid, no more, no less. Same with Jackie. The guy asked celebrities questions that other people wrote and stuttered a bunch. I love John and think he was radio gold, but let's be real. Howard made John, and John paid him back by abandoning the show without giving Tom a chance to counter-offer Jay. You could argue "well dipshit, if they had paid him better he wouldn't have HAD to leave" or "they never would've matched Jay's offer anyway" or "if John had threatened to leave they would've canned him", but as we can see now, the guy's doing gigs with KC at Hee-Haws in West Virginia for free beers, so how much was he actually worth? I don't blame John for taking the money, I probably would've done the same, but I'm not sure how you can blame Howard for his departure or question why he would be upset.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Happy mothers day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QGenMI-2ow

The station did a terrible thing...

This is so great. I remember listening to this at work with my stern fan buddy, wearing headphones in a quiet office. We were both turning red and practically crying.

Mexican Radio fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2016

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Howard blocked a nice job offer for benjy he was interested in. Benjy's mistake was aking Howard what he wanted and for his blessing. After that John know he couldn't trust Howard with being level headed in a negotiation. They go over this on arties podcast with John.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

kylej posted:

John was worth whatever he got paid, no more, no less. Same with Jackie. The guy asked celebrities questions that other people wrote and stuttered a bunch. I love John and think he was radio gold, but let's be real. Howard made John, and John paid him back by abandoning the show without giving Tom a chance to counter-offer Jay. You could argue "well dipshit, if they had paid him better he wouldn't have HAD to leave" or "they never would've matched Jay's offer anyway" or "if John had threatened to leave they would've canned him", but as we can see now, the guy's doing gigs with KC at Hee-Haws in West Virginia for free beers, so how much was he actually worth? I don't blame John for taking the money, I probably would've done the same, but I'm not sure how you can blame Howard for his departure or question why he would be upset.

Im not blaming Howard at all, I just think its weird how petty he gets when someone leaves.

John probably lost most of his Leno money in his divorce anyway.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

BobbyK posted:

It's great too when he starts praising Jay's stand up and they all call bullshit on him.

It always makes me wonder when people praise Jay Leno as a stand-up. Even Howard says Leno was great before the Tonight Show, but from all the clips I've seen of Leno's early career he sounds like every other generic 80s comic doing observational humor.

What am I missing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Former Human posted:

It always makes me wonder when people praise Jay Leno as a stand-up. Even Howard says Leno was great before the Tonight Show, but from all the clips I've seen of Leno's early career he sounds like every other generic 80s comic doing observational humor.

What am I missing?

As much as I love Seinfeld, he did the same thing back then.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

What are you into, what are you interests?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Odddzy posted:

Howard blocked a nice job offer for benjy he was interested in. Benjy's mistake was aking Howard what he wanted and for his blessing. After that John know he couldn't trust Howard with being level headed in a negotiation. They go over this on arties podcast with John.

Plus the whole Billy West situation: loyalty to Howard only results in getting the rug pulled out from under you when you want some pay for what you do. If I were in the same position, the Stern show would be lucky to get notice from me as I'd be gone as soon as I signed the contract because any other media position -- even America's Got Talent -- is a step now nowadays. It's not like being on Sirius builds a career.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Former Human posted:

What am I missing?

I often wondered that myself.
It seemed like a whole generation of entertainers and comedians all agree that Jay was once an amazing standup
I think it was just that whole Johnny Carson era of comedians. Like Rupert said, Seinfeld was one of those guys as well....but I will say this, I have seen his standup recently and its really good.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It's not like being on Sirius builds a career.

It cant start a career but it can resurrect one. You gotta give Howard credit for taking two guys like Scott Farrell and Bubba and bringing them back from the dead. No one seems to remember Farrell being fined and then fired from all the clear channel stations he was on the same way Bubba was.
Now Farrell has syndicated CBS Radio sports show.

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 13, 2016

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Former Human posted:

What am I missing?

In its time, it was something new and refreshing. It fit the moment, though in hindsight, just feels like hack garbage. Leno was one of the more accomplished comedians in that style of that era, and audiences loved him.

Same thing happens with movies, music, and just about anything else. There are defining elements in Twilight Zone episodes and Hitchcock films that almost feel like a parody today... until you remember when they did it, it was because they were the first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3TbQLl6eC4

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

What are you into, what are you interests?

What made you become a Giants chick?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Jay got a lot of respect because of his work ethic. He was always on the road and would work any club and never complained. Even when he was popular he was still out there doing shows night after night.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This is all true but when John says Jay Leno is much funnier than David Letterman on his last day I still bust out laughing.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I saw Jay live in the per-Carson era (well, pre-hosting) and he really was good. You can get a glimpse of what he was in the Letterman interviews at the time. But live he came out on a motorcycle and I swear he did three hours straight of really funny comedy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man David Spade is just loving tremendous as a guest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Compare David Spade to Jeff the Drunk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg he let Hanzi back on.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

Omg he let Hanzi back on.

He claims Gary emailed him to call in, so the fact that Howard acted surprised is a little disingenuous: https://twitter.com/Hanzi83/status/730395697804103681

Also, Hanzi says the call was dumped at the end by Howard: https://twitter.com/Hanzi83/status/730403916140023810

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love when Howard says something that demonstrates how out of touch he is, without realizing it.

A great little example from Monday's show: they were examining the Jim Baker dehydrated food bucket (end times, and all that), and trying to make jokes about it. Howard thought it was funny that there was a warning label on there about kids drowning in it.

Which means he has never seen a joint compound bucket (5 gallon bucket). They've been printing that warning label on there for over 20 years now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would a normal person see a joint compound bucket.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I dunno, I have a ton of them in my house, some quite old. I use them for gardening and such.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had to google what a joint compound bucket was

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Any 5 gallon bucket had had that warning for 20+ years.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

JB50 posted:

Any 5 gallon bucket had had that warning for 20+ years.

Right, right, 5 gallon buckets are used for many things, but if you've ever worked construction, you just call them all "joint compound buckets", because that was the first thing they sold in them. The food safe buckets I use for brewing and culturing food are essentially the same thing.

I seem to remember Artie telling a story about taking a poo poo in a joint compound bucket on a construction site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Howard doesn't know what a joint compound bucket is? lol what a freaking weirdo. Next you're gonna tell me he doesn't know what a caulking gun is. Hahahahaha