Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

You can go to Lothric castle like instantly in this game

And that's basically the only sequence break/choice you can do.

Also all the side areas aren't very good outside the Peak but that's only good cus I like the boss fights. The King's garden is basically 1 room and the boss room. Untended Graves is just the beginning area with a different sky box + enemies and the boss souped up (so basically going back to the Asylum). The Lake is just a big circle and a lot of reused DS1 assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You barely climb faster up ladders with sprint. But it doesn't use stamina either

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I wish the game was less linear but I think it's extremely good and I will replay it lots of times. Bloodborne is better but it is also a perfect game in every observable way.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad DS3 brought back the giant interconnected world. It isn't quite as mechanically interconnecting as DS1 but it was really cool standing in Anor Londo and looking back and going oh there's Lothric castle, there's the cathedral of the deep, there's farron keep, there's the village, etc.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the bridge between Lothric and the settlement wasn't broken and you had to run down it after Vordt, taking the elevator in Farron and finding yourself on a ruined strut was one of my favorite environment souls experiences.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pon alien posted:

I wish the bridge between Lothric and the settlement wasn't broken and you had to run down it after Vordt, taking the elevator in Farron and finding yourself on a ruined strut was one of my favorite environment souls experiences.

It's probably separate for loading purposes I would guess

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfaooo hahaha

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

AHahahaha

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Amazing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

omfg

Soral
May 30, 2009

Fungah! posted:

no you couldnt, you hhad to farm a shitload of souls to get to the forest or the gutter nd you had to do heide to get to huntsman's copse. evn then there were no non-plot critical areas other than the two two-room boss arenas and the rat king zones which pretty much werent worth doing. ds2's still a line to the end, just one that loops back on itself a couple times

you can do the gutter early by just stripping off all your gear, you can survive the fall, and there's a free branch at the end of the gutter... that's the route i took when i did a sl1 run

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Soral
May 30, 2009

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Its been done before, but still dang funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxNTYTgIWEc

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I was using an uchi as a pyro now I got to the hair whip andnim gonna use that I'm bad at this game

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

People poo poo on DS2 as if it still isn't better then 90% of games out there. It's strengths are tons of build options, broader variety of environments, and like others have said choice of routes through the game. The individual level design, animations and and some of the bosses are weak spots, but no poo poo, that's well covered ground. I respect that it tried a different aesthetic, feel and storyline instead of relying on too much DS1 fan service. Maybe in a few years it will be less trendy to hate on it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

beepstreet posted:

People poo poo on DS2 as if it still isn't better then 90% of games out there. It's strengths are tons of build options, broader variety of environments, and like others have said choice of routes through the game. The individual level design, animations and and some of the bosses are weak spots, but no poo poo, that's well covered ground. I respect that it tried a different aesthetic, feel and storyline instead of relying on too much DS1 fan service. Maybe in a few years it will be less trendy to hate on it.

It's still demonstrably worse than ever other game in the series

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Just had a Yhorm match where all three of my summons tried to fight him with normal weapons. He had so much fucken HP that my Storm Ruler R2s were doing like less then a 10th of his bar. did not win, would not recommend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't hate DS2, in fact I've played 150 hours of it. But I'll probably never touch it again, and I'll probably still be playing ds1 or Bloodborne when I'm 50

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

In a lot of ways yeah, but people use this insane hyperbole about how bad it is sometimes that has me shaking my drat head. I've put more hours into it then any of the other ones because of the stuff I mentioned above, but I still can recognize it doesn't have that singular vision that Miyazaki's top tier games have (art direction, world cohesion, etc).

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

I don't hate DS2, in fact I've played 150 hours of it. But I'll probably never touch it again, and I'll probably still be playing ds1 or Bloodborne when I'm 50

Agreed. Those two are in a tier of their own.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Imagine if people constantly talked about how bad the first Mario game is because it's not as good as he others

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Soral posted:

you can do the gutter early by just stripping off all your gear, you can survive the fall, and there's a free branch at the end of the gutter... that's the route i took when i did a sl1 run

huh, i didnt know that, thats cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Imagine if people constantly talked about how bad the first Mario game is because it's not as good as he others

But Mario 1 is a top 5 Mario game, and there's plenty of people who will gladly talk poo poo about New Super Mario brothers and stuff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Am I doing something wrong or does Nameless King just have an insane amount of HP. I'm not keeping my lightning buff up because I assume he's resistant

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

Am I doing something wrong or does Nameless King just have an insane amount of HP. I'm not keeping my lightning buff up because I assume he's resistant

the bird is weak to lightning, if you want to put it up for that. NK has a good chunk of health though... i took him down with a hollowslayer great sword that had like ~370 AR and it was a pretty long second phase fight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

beepstreet posted:

In a lot of ways yeah, but people use this insane hyperbole about how bad it is sometimes that has me shaking my drat head. I've put more hours into it then any of the other ones because of the stuff I mentioned above, but I still can recognize it doesn't have that singular vision that Miyazaki's top tier games have (art direction, world cohesion, etc).

the game got scrapped midway and redone with whatever pieces they had basically. the fact its as good as it is, is a testament to how good Tanimura was. The DLC is fantastic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

the bird is weak to lightning, if you want to put it up for that. NK has a good chunk of health though... i took him down with a hollowslayer great sword that had like ~370 AR and it was a pretty long second phase fight.

Yeah unless I gently caress up the bird goes down really really easy I can stagger him with a couple R2s of my washing pole with the lightning buff up. Phase 2 is crazy though I haven't gotten more than a couple hits in so far. The landscape really fucks with my depth perception I think .Also man either this boss song or the final boss part 2 song is my favorite in the game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

But Mario 1 is a top 5 Mario game, and there's plenty of people who will gladly talk poo poo about New Super Mario brothers and stuff

That's exactly why its so weird to poo poo talk DS2 constantly. IDK its just weird how people are super hyperbolic about how horrible it is because its a mere 8 or 9 to the other 10's in the series.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

goferchan posted:

Yeah unless I gently caress up the bird goes down really really easy I can stagger him with a couple R2s of my washing pole with the lightning buff up. Phase 2 is crazy though I haven't gotten more than a couple hits in so far. The landscape really fucks with my depth perception I think .Also man either this boss song or the final boss part 2 song is my favorite in the game

stay strong goon, the fight is loving hard but the orgasm is worth it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

i had luck trying to bait his dive attacks, and then punishing him as he recovered while getting lucky and playing safe in every other situation. still hard as poo poo though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

That's exactly why its so weird to poo poo talk DS2 constantly. IDK its just weird how people are super hyperbolic about how horrible it is because its a mere 8 or 9 to the other 10's in the series.

Its rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I tried to play through SOTFS waiting for DS3 because I never played the DLC and I just got really bored early game and never did it. Maybe I'll do it one day but I feel like it's gonna be harder to do after 3. I still probably put 100 hours into 2 and had fun doing it but unlike 1 & 3 & bloodborne I don't really want to do it again

• Locked thread