Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I thought that you guys would like to know that from the time I started at the Anor Londo bonfire to the time that I made it to the boss fog, I was summoned as a blue cop probably six or seven times. One time, I think I even got two proofs in one summon because there were two invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fighting bad players that spam the farron greatsword spin is awful until you learn the counters to it.

Fighting a good player with the farron greatsword is just awful :negative:

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I just found out that the jailers in Irithyll Dungeon DO drop their brand, which is hilariously translated to Soldering Iron. But the best part is that it has an Estus blocking effect on hit! Don't even have to upgrade it, use it as a 2 or 3 slot weapon to catch people off guard when they are at low HP, it is considered a spear and has a decent reach to it.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Can anyone explain to me what happened here? I think the Nameless King was just really slacking off that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdv4yRXno4

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wow nice hacks. reported

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarshyMcFly posted:

Can anyone explain to me what happened here? I think the Nameless King was just really slacking off that day.

I had this happen to a phantom I summoned once. Is it bad that I'm more interested in phantoms being warm bodies so I can heal and stab the boss in the back than caring about them actually doing damage?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cultisto posted:

I just found out that the jailers in Irithyll Dungeon DO drop their brand, which is hilariously translated to Soldering Iron. But the best part is that it has an Estus blocking effect on hit! Don't even have to upgrade it, use it as a 2 or 3 slot weapon to catch people off guard when they are at low HP, it is considered a spear and has a decent reach to it.

I've hit with its regular and special attack and it didn't do poo poo to stop estus recover. I didn't have it upgraded but it's a few seconds at most , ie another roll or two.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Fighting bad players that spam the farron greatsword spin is awful until you learn the counters to it.

Fighting a good player with the farron greatsword is just awful :negative:

What exactly is the counter to it?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Mad Pills posted:

Stomping with any greatsword before they hit you with their L1 combo moves, then you can flip them up into the air like the scrubs they are.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mad Pills posted:

have a heavy weapon and hope your hyperarmor decides to activate

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I thought that you guys would like to know that from the time I started at the Anor Londo bonfire to the time that I made it to the boss fog, I was summoned as a blue cop probably six or seven times. One time, I think I even got two proofs in one summon because there were two invaders.

I hate you. :mad: No matter what I do, I can't get summons. Doesn't matter what my level or upgrade is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mad Pills posted:

If all they do is spam the spin then just get up in their face and parry them. People who spam it are super bad so it isn't hard. Alternatively dodge and position yourself to punish the second spin they will almost certainly do because they're idiots.

The sword is really annoying in the hands of a smart player though. The spin move is actually good if you don't mindlessly spam it and mix it with your other attacks. Punishing someone just for using it is difficult because the raidus is massive. And if you do get it, you're almost certainly goona get hit again, and if other players are around you're dead because it stuns you for an eternity. On top of all that it has a built in parry which sucks for me.

Maybe larger weapons that can ignore the parry don't have any problems with it, but its a real headache for my pike build.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish this game had a thing like DkS2 had where you could buy all the covenant rewards off an NPC once you hit NG+2. I'm super OCD about wanting the achievements in this game, but even on the rare occasion when I do get summoned into a PvP game I suck at PvP and don't find it enjoyable at all. :\

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's my fashion rating for gear available pre-cathedral/catacombs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hawkwood gets pretty real after archdragon peak

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kild posted:

Untended Graves IF Yuria didn't show up

And if she did?

Question: How long will a Raw Astora SS last me if I keep it upgraded?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

What's my fashion rating for gear available pre-cathedral/catacombs

Yawn out of 10. Would look better if you covered up those pasty white arms.

Its better than just running around in the exile knight set like 90% of players though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watching ENB's DS3 playthrough. Sure, Yhorm might be kind of a crappy gimmick boss, but god drat his music owns.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Hawkwood is cool. I like the narrative around his shield and how he shows another way a crestfallen warrior can develop. It'd be nice if there was a way to simply give him your dragon stuff and wish him happy hunting without just getting killed. Heaven knows I don't want to run around looking like a bald, emaciated reindeer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MarshyMcFly posted:

If wonder if your Chaos Bed Vestiges technically hit him at the same time as his sword got you, and so the damage didn't hit you but the animation still played as if the hit had scored?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

Hawkwood is cool. I like the narrative around his shield and how he shows another way a crestfallen warrior can develop. It'd be nice if there was a way to simply give him your dragon stuff and wish him happy hunting without just getting killed. Heaven knows I don't want to run around looking like a bald, emaciated reindeer.

I mean if you feel that strongly you could just die to him and then leave.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Forgot I needed to be hollow to get the max out of my hollow bleed build, and cured my dark sigils :doh:
At least bleed is still good, but there goes my free luck points...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Why would you want to ever cure your Dark Sigils anyway? Being Hollow is strictly a bonus and there's ways to get around beef jerky mode. Not to mention the cure costs $FUCKLOAD souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alabaster White posted:

Why would you want to ever cure your Dark Sigils anyway? Being Hollow is strictly a bonus and there's ways to get around beef jerky mode. Not to mention the cure costs $FUCKLOAD souls.

That reminds me, does using a purging stone just reset your hollowing to zero until you die again? Would that gently caress with the damage you get from hollow weapons? And if so how much hollowing do you need to get the luck bonus?

EDIT: Or I could just look at the wiki cause sometimes its actually useful. Need to be at 15 hollowing to get the luck bonus so no way to get around looking like jerky without wasting a ring slot.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

That reminds me, does using a purging stone just reset your hollowing to zero? Would that gently caress with the damage you get from hollow weapons?

Yes it does and yes it does, respectively.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That reminds me, does using a purging stone just reset your hollowing to zero until you die again? Would that gently caress with the damage you get from hollow weapons? And if so how much hollowing do you need to get the luck bonus?

Yeah, it just resets your Hollowing counter. I think you need 15 Hollowing for the maximum bonus.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
thug lyfe

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dazzling Addar posted:

well in DS1 the crestfallen guy perished quite soon after finding some motivation so it's good to remember some are crestfallen for a reason :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That helm looks so great with the Cathedral Knight armor, especially if you're doing the Yuria ending. :getin:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So uh.... Anri ate it to the mega nuke at the last second, and I finished off the enemy soon after.

Got my ember restored for the "win", their summon sign isn't active anymore. Did I do good? Or did it gently caress me at the last second?

Fake Edit: Oh good, Ludeth has the progress message.

In more bittersweet news, This Toast is for you, Siggy.

Real Edit: :negative:

I find it interesting though, that There is a prism stone marking the grave well before that when I checked there earlier in the quest line. Guess Anri changed her mind :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 13, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I had a thought about Lothric/The High Wall suddenly raising, I think it might be because the Catacombs of Carthus and by extension Smouldering Lake/Izalith appeared beneath it when the convergence began. Because Carthus is a desert kingdom and if you line everything up I'm pretty sure you're going through them below Lothric.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Because I was copying that Lady Maria cosplay from way earlier in the thread. I did it all for the fasion!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Lord_Magmar posted:

So I had a thought about Lothric/The High Wall suddenly raising, I think it might be because the Catacombs of Carthus and by extension Smouldering Lake/Izalith appeared beneath it when the convergence began. Because Carthus is a desert kingdom and if you line everything up I'm pretty sure you're going through them below Lothric.

You can see where the catacombs start and end from the cliffside at vordt and it's a fair way out from the high wall.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Any time I invade as a red, I get bluecop'd but any time I try to be a bluecop I just stand there for 45 minutes while I read a book.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Toady posted:

The conventional wisdom seems to have settled on the Untended Graves being in the past, primarily because of the shrine handmaiden's hidden dialogue, but that's never sat well with me because you find Andre's hammer as if he died and left it behind. If Yoel dies naturally, you find the Hollow's Ashes at his location, suggesting that the area is in the future. The Coiled Sword Fragment description reads that it's "from a bonfire which served its purpose long ago."

Ludleth also mentions something about it being in the past - maybe it was his linking of the fire? And maybe it wasn't Andre, maybe that's the final resting place of one of the Blacksmiths from 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All the thrones have their names engraved on them though, including Ludleth's. Frankly, there's way too much supporting both the future and past theory for me to confidently believe either.

Speaking of Ludleth, not sure I trust the little guy anymore now that I think more about the skull ring. He's called the exile and he drops a ring that belonged to a soul-hungry creature that was burned to ash. That sounds a lot like a player character if the people they are murdering for souls aren't mindless hollows.

VVV I don't think Ludleth literally created anything. When he says "willed himself lord", I read it just as him being determined to become powerful enough to link the fire. Which, as the skull ring implies, may have been done through ignoble means.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 13, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I played through it, I definitely got the sense that it was from a reality where the fire was left to die out, but that Ludleth essentially willed himself into our reality or even outright created it so he could try and set things right (though it's become clearer that the right thing to do was to actually let the fire go out).

Pure speculation on my behalf though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Yawn out of 10. Would look better if you covered up those pasty white arms.

Its better than just running around in the exile knight set like 90% of players though.

The exile knight set is badass minus the pee-pants though. :haw:

My girlfriend watched me play some DS3 and now she wants to play DS1. She isn't a gamer. That's pretty impressive honestly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark souls 1 is probably the best one to start with and the one I recommend to new people so she's got the right idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Any ~Fashion Souls~ that doesn't include the Billed Mask is doing it wrong, imo
:colbert: