Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Did he like hit his head really, really hard around 2014 because his output over the last couple years... well... Jesus is that Santa comic of his a piece is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Did he like hit his head really, really hard around 2014 because his output over the last couple years... well... Jesus is that Santa comic of his a piece is poo poo.

What was wrong with The Multiversity?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Jesus is that Santa comic of his a piece is poo poo.

No way. Klaus is great.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

No way. Klaus is great.
Maybe he meant Happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

GMo kicks off his first issue of Heavy Metal with an oil painting of himself and freeverse gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ76ckSPSGE

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Maybe he meant Happy.

Happy was not great. Whoof.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Chat thread for June, the time when the birds and the bees actually live up to their reputations and the dewy air sparkles with their exuberant bukkake aerosol drifts

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

"Jihadi laddies" is wonderful.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Wacky Raceland:

So when does DC come out and tell us this is all a joke?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Muttley, you sniveling, floppy-eared hound, when courage is needed, disengage emotional cortex and reroute auxiliary power to canons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm looking forward to it. Unlike everything else in the HB range, it doesn't seem to have interesting creatives on the surface (unlike Prez's Mark Russell on Flintstones), but it's got a Mad Max: Fury Road production designer working on it. Could be the right kind of bad idea.

The Johnny Quest comic starts this week and looks so perfect for Jeff Parker, Doc Shaner and Jordie Bellaire. I'm pumped.

Anyone wanna follow the comics in their own thread, outside of DCs? You probably wouldn't have to navigate around posts about Red Hood.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm looking forward to it. Unlike everything else in the HB range, it doesn't seem to have interesting creatives on the surface (unlike Prez's Mark Russell on Flintstones), but it's got a Mad Max: Fury Road production designer working on it. Could be the right kind of bad idea.

The Johnny Quest comic starts this week and looks so perfect for Jeff Parker, Doc Shaner and Jordie Bellaire. I'm pumped.

Anyone wanna follow the comics in their own thread, outside of DCs? You probably wouldn't have to navigate around posts about Red Hood.

I would just prefer Red Hood to have it's own thread again so the DC thread isn't about how all DC books suck unless its got Red Hood in it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Action Jacktion posted:

Wacky Raceland:

Dogs with cyborg hologram emitters is the new high collars and undercuts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a licensed comics thread they're being followed in, and they're kind of the only thing with even semi-frequent discussion there, so maybe just use that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Travis343 posted:

Dogs with cyborg hologram emitters is the new high collars and undercuts.
According to this holographic display...

...I can't read

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inkspot posted:

Muttley, you sniveling, floppy-eared hound, when courage is needed, disengage emotional cortex and reroute auxiliary power to canons.

It just dawned on me reading your post that this is supposed to be Dick Dastardly and Muttley. Drat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh what the gently caress, dc

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Boy, those grim and gritty reboots, huh?

Here's hoping for one of those Zenescope type situations where the covers aren't really indicative of the interior. You get weirdo Mad Max cars covered in skulls and guns, and the comic inside is:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gay Blade is still the best manga ever based on children fighting each other with spinning tops.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Action Jacktion posted:

Wacky Raceland:

To be fair there's no source-faithful interpretation of Wacky Races that would've made me at all even vaguely interested in the product, this is at least fun to pay attention to just to rubberneck the possible trainwreck, and everyone was saying much the same thing with Afterlife With Archie, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, or Archie meets The Punisher. On the other hand the writer has zero comics experience and most well-known prior work is probably loving Happy Tree Friends. But I'm at least interested to see where it goes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair there's no source-faithful interpretation of Wacky Races that would've made me at all even vaguely interested in the product, this is at least fun to pay attention to just to rubberneck the possible trainwreck, and everyone was saying much the same thing with Afterlife With Archie, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, or Archie meets The Punisher. On the other hand the writer has zero comics experience and most well-known prior work is probably loving Happy Tree Friends. But I'm at least interested to see where it goes.

Well the thing is that DC Comics was not involved with any of those.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well the thing is that DC Comics was not involved with any of those.

Well, yeah. But I'm just saying that weird/atonal reboots of established characters have not only worked, but worked unbelievably well to critical acclaim. I mean, if you want to go with DC Comics exclusively Suicide Squad and TDKR both did the exact same things, and one of those was even one of the Big Two Supers. The point is, I'm saying it's possible. the creative team gives me pause, sure, but at the end of the day if Wacky Races: Fury Road sucks, what brand does this dirty? A cartoon nobody's given a poo poo about for like forty loving years? Oh darn.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair there's no source-faithful interpretation of Wacky Races that would've made me at all even vaguely interested in the product

That show had racing teams of cavemen, vampires and mobsters. How hard to impress are you?

e: Look at this god damned thing.

If it ain't this week's best comic I'll eat a hat every meal for the rest of my life.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 13, 2016

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I can't get over the dreadlocks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That show had racing teams of cavemen, vampires and mobsters. How hard to impress are you?

Wacky Races was a product of its time and it came off as a goofier ripoff of Speed Racer, which if someone came up to me right now and told me they were doing a source-faithful comic book series about Speed Racer I'd be all like, "why".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That wonderful movie was pretty faithful :D

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 13, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Look at this god damned thing.

If it ain't this week's best comic I'll eat a hat every meal for the rest of my life.

I expect pictures of you eating your hat next week since it won't even likely be the best DC book with American Alien's final issue hitting as well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
By all means, update it, but to turn into grimdark Death Race bullshit is missing the point. But this is the same company that had Wonder Dog eat Marvin, so w/e

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soonmot posted:

By all means, update it, but to turn into grimdark Death Race bullshit is missing the point.

I think the main inspiration, being that the Fury Road car designer is the designer of the vehicles in the Wacky Races reboot, is "Fury Road meets Wacky Races". And considering that Fury Road could easily be described as a post-apocalyptic Wacky Races I don't really see what the conceptual problem is here.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Now I kinda want a cut of Fury Road with the announcer from Wacky Races cutting in every so often to comment on the action:

"Oh no! Here comes Immortan Joe in his Galloping Gigahorse, hot on the tail of Furiosa's Wondrous War Wagon! She and her bevy of beautiful brides better buckle up! But oh no, what's that Noxious Nux up to now? After losing his Pole Cat Coupe, he stashed away on Furiosa's riding rig. Does he really think this will get him back into Joe's good graces?"

"It's worth a try! Maybe this time he'll witness me!"

"What'll that wacky warboy want next?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Archie vs. Punisher was twenty two years ago, was a moderately well received one-shot that mostly got negative pre-release hype because it was the era of stupid crossovers and trying to make 'nice' characters into 'extreme violent douchebags' but the gimmick was literally "ha ha, Punisher is grim and gritty, but Riverdale is nice folks!" It (and Afterlife with Archie/Sabrina) work to the extent they do because they're wholesome nice characters (with the added bonus of being iconic and instantly recognizable) who are then contrasted with something weird and dark.

They're fish out of water stories, which work when you've got two things easily contrasted (Archie/Punisher, Archie/Zombies, Country Mouse/City Mouse, Prince/Pauper, Connecticut Yankee/King Arthur's Court, 1985 kid in 1955, two genial stoners in a crime heist, whatever) in Wacky Races you have.. some people in a Mad Max apocalypse. Is Muttley going to laugh a lot? Is uh... sorry, I have no idea who any of the other characters are. They're not iconic, they're barely recognizable as the same characters, and they're not fish out of water, they're just straight up "some characters in the Mad Max apocalypse". Which is fine when it's called Mad Max, and may be good in this case, but it certainly doesn't sound promising. "Mad Max, but from less talented people" basically.

I mean, why not do a remake of Secret Squirrel that's basically a remake of Nightcrawler? Don't judge, people enjoyed Mini-Marvels! Or hot on the heels of Gotham Academy, a mature-readers look at the harrowing torture the Hair Bear Bunch undergo when they're sent to a CIA black site. Will they ever escape from the operative known only as THE RANGER? Come on, you thought Thors was going to be bad too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Wacky Races was a product of its time and it came off as a goofier ripoff of Speed Racer, which if someone came up to me right now and told me they were doing a source-faithful comic book series about Speed Racer I'd be all like, "why".

Wacky Races has nothing in common with Speed Racer except being about racing and was literally airing at the same time Speed Racer was and was more inspired by movies at the time than anything else.

A modern Wacky Races would more sensibly borrow from something like Fast and the Furious, not Mad Max, but it wouldn't be DC if they didn't miss the point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, why not do a remake of Secret Squirrel that's basically a remake of Nightcrawler? Don't judge, people enjoyed Mini-Marvels! Or hot on the heels of Gotham Academy, a mature-readers look at the harrowing torture the Hair Bear Bunch undergo when they're sent to a CIA black site. Will they ever escape from the operative known only as THE RANGER? Come on, you thought Thors was going to be bad too!

DC Presents: Hanna Barbera's Identity Crisis

Turns out Hooded Claw was so incompetent because, many years ago, he was mindwiped by Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Velma from Scooby-Doo, Captain Caveman, George Jetson, Papa Smurf and Top Cat after they learned he'd molested Penelope Pitstop.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I expect pictures of you eating your hat next week

Technically, any food item could become a hat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Technically, any food item could become a hat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Teenage Fansub has a whole bunch of nacho hats and we'll all be jealous as he's eating delicious nachos while reading a good, but not the best of the week, comic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just like a DC fan to reboot stakes when they become too difficult to manage.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Honestly, if you wanted to go for a dark reboot, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines would be the way to go. The tale of a poor child courier, trapped behind enemy lines, desperate to keep his plane operational by any means necessary, pursued by a mad Nazi pilot and his increasingly deranged inventions, his constantly snickering hound, his cowardly yet omnipresent sidekicks...

:suicide:

I'm generally not a fan of slapstick done by people who's approach to slapstick involves "stuff in as much blood and gore as you can".

This style humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQg07Jf9XM

doesn't really work if he's not actually flat, and bantering sarcastically with the announcer. You can argue that it doesn't work at all and it's terribly cheesy, which, fair enough, but I doubt adding in cracked ribs, exposed vertebrae, and buckets of blood would make it funnier. That it's being written by Ken Pontiac of Happy Tree Friends fame doesn't inspire confidence that this isn't the route they're going, but he's also done more tame work (LazyTown, Bump in the Night), so who knows? If they nail the narration and don't try and turn Dick into Lobo, it could be its own weird thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Ken Pontac ... more tame work ... Bump in the Night ...

• Locked thread