Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Every time I try to get started on that goal I end up really overwhelmed and stop short of anything productive. Working on this/others has actually made me a lot more comfortable with getting stuff knocked out quickly and neatly, though, and also I really enjoy it. Implementing it, not so much, but I'll get there eventually.

What's the current go-to engine that everybody uses nowadays? Is unity good for 2D stuff now too, or what?

Try Godot: http://www.godotengine.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I keep waiting for the new version but it never comes

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Excelzior posted:

I keep waiting for the new version but it never comes

same but with starbound

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cicadas! posted:

Those always turn out the silliest things and I love to follow them, but I've never been able to work up the nerve to participate. Is it very high-stakes?

Only personal stakes (I messed up my entry in Jan and felt like an eejit), it's all for fun!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The best thing about Unity for me is that it has Actual loving C# (2.0) under the hood. C# is not the best language, but it is feature-complete, so you won't struggle too hard implementing whatever algorithm you might need. Godot and Game Maker both use proprietary languages, which comes back to bite you in obscure ways.

If you're not that into programming, though, you'll probably have less trouble. Unity and GM are both very good at simulating objects interacting in an environment, which is what most games amount to.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

Unity's very much in vogue right now with indies for 2D stuff. Game maker is surprisingly versatile too.

A lot of game makers that were interested/looking at Unity switched to Unreal when the new engine/terms of service for devving came out. It's got a way more documented codebase.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Party Plane Jones posted:

A lot of game makers that were interested/looking at Unity switched to Unreal when the new engine/terms of service for devving came out. It's got a way more documented codebase.

Yeah I'm kind of talking out of my rear end and on hearsay from what other devs mentioned, I was too lazy/stupid to become a coder and just do art :sigh:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You think they'll ever show off the game without admin mode on? Lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicadas! posted:

What's the current go-to engine that everybody uses nowadays? Is unity good for 2D stuff now too, or what?

Yeah you can do some fun poo poo with Unity, brah. I've heard Love2D cited, too. GameMaker has weird arbitrary limits and will poo poo the bed if the total size between all your assets exceeds somewhere around the neighborhood of 360MB. Nice for projects that you know you'll be keeping the size down on, though, either through good file management or just plain old scale.

LordSaturn posted:

The best thing about Unity for me is that it has Actual loving C# (2.0) under the hood. C# is not the best language, but it is feature-complete, so you won't struggle too hard implementing whatever algorithm you might need.

c# has a built-in random call, rectangles, and rectangle intersect detection, and that's all you fuckin need baby :getin:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Unreal, I'm told, is great if you're making anything 3D. If we're talking strictly a 2D project, maybe you'd run into the problem of right tool for the right job.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 30, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I remember when I first played Starbound. I picked a Floran character and discovered that I found their little inspection lines kind of charming, you know, being worried about the torches and poo poo. Then I built a sizeable house and flew around to various planets to look for plants. Ended up building a pretty large walled agricultural compound.

Then I was like "Once this comes out it'll be so great, I'll be running a server with friends. I'll just farm a ton of food on the side for everyone." Probably 2013 or so?

I can just never work up the enthusiasm for progression in my sandboxes. I just like building cool poo poo out of blocks. I never fought a Terraria boss. While my friends in Minecraft hosed around with enchanted gear and maybe went to kill the weird dragon boss, I dug giant caves or built megaprojects according to downloaded plans, or build really large rail tracks to ride. Sort of soothing tedium, I guess. My childhood had a lot of Lego and my dad's model trains in it, so building things from blocks and riding minecarts is nice to just chill??

Obviously, I am not the intended audience for Starbound's current design direction. I'm resistant to tedium, really, but I guess I just don't feel wanted :v:

But hey, I had a lot of fun with Stardew Valley.

I still get a little annoyed when I think of Spacebase DF-9, but I guess for Starbound I'm in the acceptance stage now :effort:

Also I keep getting Star Citizen emails, apparently I tossed them 5 bucks pretty early and then immediately forgot about it?

I guess those are my big KS/EA 3 mistakes. Spending any amount of money on Star Citizen, getting SB DF-9 just because hey, it's Double Fine, and getting my hopes up for Starbound.

On the other hand I got like 500 loving hours out of the 15 bucks I spent on Grim Dawn, so there is that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah I'm kind of talking out of my rear end and on hearsay from what other devs mentioned, I was too lazy/stupid to become a coder and just do art :sigh:

You could code like me and make broke-rear end GM games just to have something to art for :v:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Psykmoe posted:

I remember . :words:

You take the good with the bad psy. You win some, ya lose some bro. It's better to have played a few poo poo games than to never have played games at all. The pixels are always greener in the other game.

Cheer up emo kid. :)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Psykmoe posted:

I remember when I first played Starbound. I picked a Floran character and discovered that I found their little inspection lines kind of charming, you know, being worried about the torches and poo poo. Then I built a sizeable house and flew around to various planets to look for plants. Ended up building a pretty large walled agricultural compound.

Then I was like "Once this comes out it'll be so great, I'll be running a server with friends. I'll just farm a ton of food on the side for everyone." Probably 2013 or so?

I can just never work up the enthusiasm for progression in my sandboxes. I just like building cool poo poo out of blocks. I never fought a Terraria boss. While my friends in Minecraft hosed around with enchanted gear and maybe went to kill the weird dragon boss, I dug giant caves or built megaprojects according to downloaded plans, or build really large rail tracks to ride. Sort of soothing tedium, I guess. My childhood had a lot of Lego and my dad's model trains in it, so building things from blocks and riding minecarts is nice to just chill??

Obviously, I am not the intended audience for Starbound's current design direction. I'm resistant to tedium, really, but I guess I just don't feel wanted :v:

But hey, I had a lot of fun with Stardew Valley.

I still get a little annoyed when I think of Spacebase DF-9, but I guess for Starbound I'm in the acceptance stage now :effort:

Also I keep getting Star Citizen emails, apparently I tossed them 5 bucks pretty early and then immediately forgot about it?

I guess those are my big KS/EA 3 mistakes. Spending any amount of money on Star Citizen, getting SB DF-9 just because hey, it's Double Fine, and getting my hopes up for Starbound.

On the other hand I got like 500 loving hours out of the 15 bucks I spent on Grim Dawn, so there is that.

I've only ever Kickstarted one game and it was because one of my friends nagged me into Kickstarting that Blackwake game because hey, collaborative ship combat looks cool. That was last year, and pretty much every update since has just been "HEY WE'RE PLAYING THIS AWESOME GAME WITH OUR FRIENDS AND YOU CAN"T NYAH NYAH NYAH" and I think one of the recent ones just casually mentioned they had to recode the whole game. It kind of pissed me off that they were making viral gameplay vids of it with popular Youtubers, giving the impression that it was at or close to alpha stage when apparently it wasn't even close, because if I'd have known that I'd never have backed it. :sigh:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ScorpioMajesty posted:

You take the good with the bad psy. You win some, ya lose some bro. It's better to have played a few poo poo games than to never have played games at all. The pixels are always greener in the other game.

Cheer up emo kid. :)

Yeah I think on balance I backed a lot fewer questionable games than some other posters. At least I didn't buy into That Which Sleeps :laffo:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Chucklefish is going to be handling Stardew Valley code. Don't gotta say much more than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Chucklefish is going to be handling Stardew Valley code. Don't gotta say much more than that.

Non-creative code, so it should be fine. They're not adding content, just handling multiplayer code and porting.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like fucklechish

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
fucklephilfish

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Croccers posted:

fucklephilfish

That's it, Starbound 2 is cancelled.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Croccers posted:

fucklephilfish

:(
Phil Fish is a weenie, but also I liked Fez a lot. It's one of those train wrecks that at least produced an enjoyable game. OTOH a lot of that sentiment comes from the chill as gently caress graphics and soundtrack. I'm not sure about the graphics, but I know the soundtrack was outsourced to Disasterpeace.

If you can find it for free, because it's not very good, Indie Game: The Movie is worth watching to see how much of a shitshow Fez was behind the scenes, especially compared to Super Meat Boy, the other game that documentary covered.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

:(
Phil Fish is a weenie, but also I liked Fez a lot. It's one of those train wrecks that at least produced an enjoyable game. OTOH a lot of that sentiment comes from the chill as gently caress graphics and soundtrack. I'm not sure about the graphics, but I know the soundtrack was outsourced to Disasterpeace.

If you can find it for free, because it's not very good, Indie Game: The Movie is worth watching to see how much of a shitshow Fez was behind the scenes, especially compared to Super Meat Boy, the other game that documentary covered.

Don't forget lengthy interviews with Jonathan Blow and his infinite wisdom.

But I liked Braid and The Witness looks really cool, so I'll give him a pass; dude cares about his craft.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

deadly_pudding posted:

I remember seeing it on netflix, and it really just shows how insufferable of a fuckwad Fish is.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't forget lengthy interviews with Jonathan Blow and his infinite wisdom.

But I liked Braid and The Witness looks really cool, so I'll give him a pass; dude cares about his craft.

I have a hard time getting over Blow and him being pissy about Braid getting 8's and 9's because reviewers didn't understand his game properly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Non-creative code, so it should be fine. They're not adding content, just handling multiplayer code and porting.

starbound's client-side hitboxes are basically non-existent and i've died from being hit by nothing while sleeping in a bed in a safe house i built, the server application crashes hard if a client looks at it the wrong way, and last time we used it, hosting a server ran a completely separate instance of the game from the exe the host was playing on. this is going to be a loving disaster

also, didn't the developer say on his twitter that he was paying someone to do his netcode

Tracula posted:

I have a hard time getting over Blow and him being pissy about Braid getting 8's and 9's because reviewers didn't understand his game properly.

quite frankly i was thrilled that my work was received at higher than a 5 :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

also, didn't the developer say on his twitter that he was paying someone to do his netcode

...So his publisher is charging him now? Be careful associating with Tiy if you're competent, because you will be subject to the Good Developer Tax

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The talent on display in the art and humor is loving infuriating when you know how much it is all being wasted by being attached to Starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Starbound 1.0 Patch Notes RELEASED! (Maybe!)

"With the imminent release of Starbound 1.0, I would like to thank myself for doing such a great job with the game. Many of the Artist(Myself) did such a fantastic job.

And now for the patch notes, since I have such a good eye for these things:

-I found out that people had managed to have fun with the Beta. This has been fixed. There is no more fun in Starbound.

Patch note Edit: Any ladies nearby the studio want me to give them a Tour and show them what releasing 1.0 means in this business?"

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 5, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Patch note Edit: Any ladies nearby the studio want me to give them a Tour and show them what releasing 1.0 means in this business?"

Tiy: Hey, girl... Wanna see my 1.0-face? :getin:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

grimcreaper posted:

"With the imminent release of Starbound 1.0, I would like to thank myself for doing such a great job with the game. Many of the Artist(Myself) did such a fantastic job.

And now for the patch notes, since I have such a good eye for these things:

-I found out that people had managed to have fun with the Beta. This has been fixed. There is no more fun in Starbound.

Grimcreep'd again

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Magmarashi posted:

The talent on display in the art and humor is loving infuriating when you know how much it is all being wasted by being attached to Starbound.

Viiolaceus was doing like a guest spot or something there this week, her work is amazing. She did a lot for Holobunies and it's cute AF :3:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiy: Hey, girl... Wanna see my 1.0-face?

Starbound: Tiy: Hey, girl... Wanna see my 1.0-face?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Which way to the game dev thread? I can't find it at all, and I know there's a lot of crosstalk between there and here.

EDIT:

Cicadas! posted:

I can't leave well enough alone

help

These are great but why no hand-axe?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Is this game still boring as all hell? I "beat" it back in 2014 and I assume there is nothing fun added to it still yes?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Raskolnikov posted:

Is this game still boring as all hell? I "beat" it back in 2014 and I assume there is nothing fun added to it still yes?

You beat the game by uninstalling it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Raskolnikov posted:

Fun doesn't get added to Starbound, friend

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Raskolnikov posted:

Look at any given page of the thread for the answer to this question, as well as probably someone else asking this question

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Would something I pick up in a race's dungeon help attract them as tenants? Say I picked up glitch decorations like a globe or something, would that help attract a tenant or is it just for show?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Would something I pick up in a race's dungeon help attract them as tenants? Say I picked up glitch decorations like a globe or something, would that help attract a tenant or is it just for show?

no one knows/cares

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
replace op with this

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

no one knows/cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

youve misjudged why this thread still exists

• Locked thread