Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Even replaying DS3 I really want to play more Bloodborne. And I love DS3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ng+ with the ultra greatsword is so cathartic. i love swatting dogs and watching them fly off the ground and staggering lothric knights when they were destroying me in the early game. looking forward to the deacons fight with this.

i never played DS2. would it be better to go with the base game or softs for the first time?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

ng+ with the ultra greatsword is so cathartic. i love swatting dogs and watching them fly off the ground and staggering lothric knights when they were destroying me in the early game. looking forward to the deacons fight with this.

i never played DS2. would it be better to go with the base game or softs for the first time?

I'm not a big fan of DS2 but SOTFS is definitely the better version, except for changes to two areas that I think are kind of rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SOTFS has all the DLC which is the best parts of the game even if they really lost their minds on the iron keep

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Big personal draw for SOTFS is the remixed enemy/item placement which makes the game feel new again. If you're playing for the first time though that doesn't matter much

If on PC definitely get SOTFS for the technical upgrades missing from vanilla (like native 60 fps)

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the biggest issue with DS2 is just that the moment to moment gameplay is not as satisfying as DS3, Bloodborne, DS1, or Demons Souls. the characters feel both floaty and too weighty at the same time, the hitboxes are way off and your actions feel very unresponsive. I know a lot of that is by design cause they wanted more careful and slow combat but all you have to do is perform a roll at any weight in DS2 and then do the same in any of the other games; the latter is infinitely more satisfying

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dunno, the roll was one of the only things i liked about ds2s feeling. cos it introduced rolling in any direction instead of just 4

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

i dunno, the roll was one of the only things i liked about ds2s feeling. cos it introduced rolling in any direction instead of just 4

yeah but it cost like three times the stamina

and i think your rolling attacks were locked to the roll direction. lol i loving hate that game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

That part is a big improvement and I'm glad they carried it forward, but the actual feel of the roll animation is way floatier.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HolePisser1982 posted:

yeah but it cost like three times the stamina

and i think your rolling attacks were locked to the roll direction. lol i loving hate that game

Call me crazy, but I think only being able to roll 2 or 3 times is a good thing

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean, god bless ya, but I truly cant stand it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Depends on how the game is balanced. Like, if you could only dodge two or three times in Bloodborne you'd get owned every time. DS2 is balanced around it so I don't really have an issue with the stamina costs there.

One thing I haven't quite come to grips with is DS3 kind of hanging out in the middle between DS2 and Bloodborne with dodging and it's not a super comfortable system for me. Like you can't really spam-dodge like you can in Bloodborne, but enemies have really long combos so you do have to dodge multiple times in a row.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
when you roll in the other games it feels like you expertly dodged an impending attack and then eloquently sprung back to your feet immediately ready to face whatever the enemy throws at you next; in 2 it kinda feels like you fell over on your back and then have to ease yourself up off the ground like an old man emerging from a bathtub

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
but lets not dwell on the horrors of the past. the important thing is that we survived it and have lived to see dark souls 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Only 5 more Castlevania game sand I'll play this again

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

apropos to nothing posted:

but lets not dwell on the horrors of the past. the important thing is that we survived it and have lived to see dark souls 3

having both Bloodborne and DS3 is truly a blessing

also a blessing: getting used to Bloodborne and Demons Souls' lack of poise/use of hyperarmor before playing this one

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I had a brainfart yesterday and misread NK as "Nameless Kong" and now I can't get the image of a giant monkey whoopin and goin nuts on top of a giant crow dragon out of my head

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol yeah that some crazy poo poo dogg

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the kong has a name: it's manus

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

oh, btw, dont update your game if you have the pc version. apparently it adds regular studders

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

the kong has a name: it's manus

holy poo poo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been away from this for a week because i was traveling for work, and i can't wait to start playing again. i'm going to beat the final boss with my main guy, and then try to do some farron kepe PVP with my other dude. if that doesn't work, then i guess i'll go ahead and finally level him up... maybe go with the exile greatsword as my main weapon.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the time has finally come to start a guts character

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

In Training posted:

Only 5 more Castlevania game sand I'll play this again

you're out of control

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

oh, btw, dont update your game if you have the pc version. apparently it adds regular studders

yup it loving sucks :D

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

when did the update come out?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

when did the update come out?

this morning i think. apparently theyre working on another patch to fix this patch

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

im scared to ascend the final set of stairs to the cool looking top of the grand archives cause i bet that's where the final boss is and the 1 second pause + drop to 10 fps is gonna gently caress me uP!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

apropos to nothing posted:

the time has finally come to start a guts character

Hell yeah. Golden age or current

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain gently caress Face posted:

im scared to ascend the final set of stairs to the cool looking top of the grand archives cause i bet that's where the final boss is and the 1 second pause + drop to 10 fps is gonna gently caress me uP!

Better than that one awful bug in Bloodborne that made some boss entrance fog doors drop to about one frame every 2 seconds until the camera un-hosed itself. That was horrible but they fixed it pretty quick iirc

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Better than that one awful bug in Bloodborne that made some boss entrance fog doors drop to about one frame every 2 seconds until the camera un-hosed itself. That was horrible but they fixed it pretty quick iirc

the last bit of the run up to Wolnir was like that for the first week of the japanese release and it was pretty cool while it lasted

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

its my day off and i want to play dark souls and this new bug.... AAARGH *punches floor, breaths heavily*-

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://imgur.com/a/olgvn this is crazy, it's a ton of cut armor/weapons with item descriptions and everything. Some of its enemy armor that doesn't normally drop (like the dudes with boards on their back in Road of Sacrifice) and some is stuff that must have gotten changed (like a scythe from the Prince's boss soul) and some of it even references bosses that don't exist in the game. Wonder if it will end up in DLC or what

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Weird unique stuff too like a Pyromancy catalyst that gets increases spell potency when you're in close range of an enemy. Whoa

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

goferchan posted:

https://imgur.com/a/olgvn this is crazy, it's a ton of cut armor/weapons with item descriptions and everything. Some of its enemy armor that doesn't normally drop (like the dudes with boards on their back in Road of Sacrifice) and some is stuff that must have gotten changed (like a scythe from the Prince's boss soul) and some of it even references bosses that don't exist in the game. Wonder if it will end up in DLC or what

Amazing. I like the NPCs without their face covered too.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Hell yeah. Golden age or current

current. I think I'm gonna do mound makers too and commit to always helping the host. there will still be the threat that I might accidentally attack or even kill the host and their phantoms while I'm attacking invaders or enemies just like guts

Soral
May 30, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Amazing. I like the NPCs without their face covered too.

yeah. interesting that the fire keeper isnt literally blind, she doesnt have the same white pupils as known blind characters irina and sword master. wonder whats up with that

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Soral posted:

yeah. interesting that the fire keeper isnt literally blind, she doesnt have the same white pupils as known blind characters irina and sword master. wonder whats up with that

its because we gave her eyes #woke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Soral posted:

in the first cutscene, you see her put on the crown thing that has a sucking abyss projected in the eye part. since gough also wears a helmet filled with pine pitch but isnt technically blind, i wonder if there's some older fantasy or manga trope of fake blindness in a hero

• Locked thread