Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I was looking forward to alie trying the "torture their friends to get them to comply" bit with Clarke and it not working because Clarke is loving colder than the ice kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL "DEATH BY CLARKE"

Also lol at "Spear to the chest"
"Not as lucky as me" :smug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jasper creepily recounting everyone's deaths is the best.

"Ninja star to the face. That was a good one."

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Monty killed his mom TWICE. Giving up his girlfriend is nothing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ugh, Monty is going to blow it this time because he's a dumb rear end in a top hat, isn't he.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nah, I think Monty's gonna shoot Jasper. Because Monty's plot this season is apparently. "shoot everyone you love."

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
LOL Clark's stone-loving cold.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat this espisode was full of stone cold moments.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The TV IV › The 100 (s3) - DEATH BY CLARKE

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

raditts posted:

I was looking forward to alie trying the "torture their friends to get them to comply" bit with Clarke and it not working because Clarke is loving colder than the ice kingdom.

Hey, they delivered after all!

I'm not sure I see this coming to a satisfying conclusion with just one episode left though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Nah, I think Monty's gonna shoot Jasper. Because Monty's plot this season is apparently. "shoot everyone you love."

This is the only way it can end. He will shoot Jasper but 3 seconds later ALIE will die and Jasper will get a monologue to emotionally scar Monty even more.

Also I hope Octavia still has some of that Pike hate for Bellamy. Because it seems like everyone is forgetting what a huge fucker he is.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Death by Clarke.
Death by Clarke.
Throwing star to the face.
Death by Clarke.

The TV IV > The 100 (s3) - The Murphy eyeroll hour

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

Good points. But this is The 100, where characters change for no reason besides plot convenience. The writers will chip Jasper and then halfassedly try to retroactively justify it.
Yeah the explanation was pretty half-assed to me.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Monty isn't going to screw this up and let Jasper/ALIE get what they want, because if he does then he killed his mom TWICE for nothing.

Right? :ohdear:

Also if Roan is actually dead :argh:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This episode definitely felt a lot more watchable than most of the rest of the season, although it still had a fair few problems. The intro in particular felt stupidly rushed, they're too protective of their characters so there's contrived reasons no one chipped ever dies and ALIE always feels like she's holding back. The whole Nightblood mcguffin thing is just a bit poo poo. But there were some legit moments and actual sensible character beats and stakes this time around.

Some things:
  • I'm SO GLAD Clarke didn't break at the sight of her dying mother. I really expected that to happen and it would've made me so mad after the amount of sacrificing Clarke has been shown to make. (I also expected the thread to talk about her rack again.)
  • I am sad that Bellamy escaped death yet again. When the pod people said they were going to kill him first I was like "oh good".
  • I did like the bro-mance (I can't think of a gender-neutral word for this) between Raven and Monty this episode. They're a good pair, both very easy to root for.
  • But seriously, Monty, you could've warned Harper a lot more efficiently than that.
  • When did Octavia lose her braids? I didn't realise they were the one thing that stopped her looking so glam.
  • Remind me why Indra cares so much about Kane?

FELD1 posted:

So many people predicted it, but I still wanted to believe it wasn't him...
Yeah, I was disappointed. I think that while they did justify it from a character perspective, it was unsatisfying and cheap writing to have him backpedal on his previous character development.

I'm not saying that I'm just sad because I liked Jasper and they made him an evil pod person, I just mean it feels like...they didn't earn it.

Astroman posted:

The TV IV › The 100 (s3) - DEATH BY CLARKE
Seconded.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Some things:

Well, he was pretty much the only person that wanted to prevent war and get Arkadia to merge with the clans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I am sad that Bellamy escaped death yet again. When the pod people said they were going to kill him first I was like "oh good".

I lust for Bellamy death. The second ALIE is defeated, I hope Indra kills Pike and Bellamy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed. I think that while they did justify it from a character perspective, it was unsatisfying and cheap writing to have him backpedal on his previous character development.

I'm not saying that I'm just sad because I liked Jasper and they made him an evil pod person, I just mean it feels like...they didn't earn it.

This is pretty much the main issue with the season so far. Mechanically, there's really nothing wrong with it, but it feels like several emotional beats and necessary character moments are missing. Good storytelling is like cooking. Some things just take time. You can have all the right ingredients for a cake and mix them perfectly, but if you try to cut the baking time in half by doubling the heat, you're... uhhh... you're not gonna like what comes out. :supaburn:

Basically, they sacrificed character for plot and the show is suffering for it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

My guess is someone drinks the blood and somehow get the night blood and then can become commander, or that they chip the brain dead girl and she becomes 100% AI in the girls body.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I don't think Clarke will be lapping up blood from the floor like she's in Wolfenstein 3D.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They could use their "zap ALIE out of someone" device on Clarke's mom, who then does a full blood transfusion on the fly from Ontari to Clarke. Clarke is chipped, gets to be with Lexa forever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VagueRant posted:

Some things:

They became friends off-screen between the seasons. They were pretty buddy-buddy at the beginning of the season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Spergatory posted:

This is pretty much the main issue with the season so far. Mechanically, there's really nothing wrong with it, but it feels like several emotional beats and necessary character moments are missing. Good storytelling is like cooking. Some things just take time. You can have all the right ingredients for a cake and mix them perfectly, but if you try to cut the baking time in half by doubling the heat, you're... uhhh... you're not gonna like what comes out. :supaburn:

Basically, they sacrificed character for plot and the show is suffering for it.
Here's the thing about Jasper and being chipped -- it could work, but the show just wants to skip right to it, not do any of the hard work getting there. This has been a flaw of the show since the first season. Sometimes we (fans, critics) give them some slack if they can deliver on the follow through (and we have, see most of S2), but it's like a terrible flaw of the show that the writers never seem to want to address and just push down harder on the plot gas.

If you ultimately want to make Jasper break and accept the chip, that's fine. It's unexpected, mechanically makes the finale more interesting, but he doesn't seem to have a say in it. It's pretty much done off screen. Oh and the lame excuse he gives to Monty is that he got fed up after they got to Luna's oil rig and ruined the place and Shay (?) that girl was killed because of him. So basically the show just up and fridged another woman and didn't even have the decency to give Jasper the agency or the screentime to reach the conclusion he gave to Monty in this episode. I mean yeah if you are gonna fridge a woman, we should at least get the requisite manpain scene, but they don't even do it. You are just supposed to accept it.

Sometimes it gets really muddy and you can argue in other shows whether characters drive the plot or the plot drives the characters (which is a weaker way to write, because it is inherently flawed) but this show makes no qualms and barely attempts to hide the fact that most of the time the plot is what moves the characters forward, and they take most of their agency out of it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn't like this episode that much. Part of it was cause I was completely expecting them to do the whole stupid

"take the chip"
"NO"
"ok then I'm going to hurt/kill someone you know"
"OK ILL TAKE THE CHIP"

thing. I mean they've done it twice or more now that I wouldn't be surprised and the episode presented two arcs where it was possible. I'm fully expecting Monty to give in next week because this show has a great track record of making people do really stupid things for ~love~ despite them knowing each other for all of 3 days.

Also it felt like nothing happened. It's the episode before the season finale and they're still setting things up? That means we're going to get 15 minutes of filler next week, a 15 minute climax that probably answers nothing and then a 15 minute setup for next season. God damnit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How did they get people chipped on the rig anyway? They said something about the drone following them, but it's not like the drone could force feed chips to people, or like it showered the place with chips and people were just like "oh I wonder what this is, I think I'll put it in my mouth!"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

VagueRant posted:

[*]I did like the bro-mance (I can't think of a gender-neutral word for this) between Raven and Monty this episode. They're a good pair, both very easy to root for.

Friends?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love every time somebody sees Murphy because for some of them he's been gone since that episode in season 1 when he was banished after almost being lynched.

E: oh wait he did come back after that and killed a few people, while taking some others hostag, classic Murphy

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 14, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Acid fog...

then death by Clarke.

Seconding that the thread title needs to be changed to "Death by Clarke."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing that chipping the braindead just reroutes the brain's signals around the damage, or something to that effect. If they just needed to do a blood transfusion then they wouldn't have left Ontari alive.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still stand by my further reasoning for why it's too late in the game to chip Jasper now, especially when they could have come up with a number of different ways to mess with Monty and Raven, without having a chipped mole in the group. That said his scenes were fine. Just a weird decision, for me.

This episode was great other than that, which didn't really drag it down anyway. Excited to see how they try and wrap this up in a season. I imagine a lot of it will just have to bleed into season 4 and I am down with that. This season has had a few weird steps, but they added a lot more story to chew through in as many episodes as the last one, and I think they did well enough in trying to balance it. Not the neatest season, but maybe they'll be more prepared for next year.

Like idk, I've thoroughly enjoyed this season and had next to no problems with it. Jasper's the biggest issue I have, really. Pike was a little rushed but I've enjoyed him througout, same with everything else. It's a good show.

e: Clarke's 'I'm so sorry' was phenomenal. I knew she wouldn't break and that just made it so much better. I would have been 100% fine with Abby dying there, though I'm glad April O'Neil lives another day.

e2: And yeah dem boobs amirite. Girl is stacked.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Those poor grounders running the manual elevator can't catch a break. :(

That was the second time this season the good guys wipe them out just to get up to the throne room. maybe there are no good guys

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Neba posted:

Those poor grounders running the manual elevator can't catch a break. :(

That was the second time this season the good guys wipe them out just to get up to the throne room. maybe there are no good guys

Not only that, but then almost immediately the people who replaced them at the wheel were shot up. It's a high priority target, you'd think the Grounders would have put more guards down there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Or just used a proper counterweight system instead of that crazy wheel contraption. Of course, then you can't hijack the elevator as easily.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So uh... why did Bellamy and Murphy need an elevator ride if there's a god drat ladder that goes all the way to the top? They could have taken out the elevator dudes, forced the door open and climbed as one group, no? Is there some advantage bestowed by being stuck in a metal cage while ascending?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd imagine the elevator is faster.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

enraged_camel posted:

So uh... why did Bellamy and Murphy need an elevator ride if there's a god drat ladder that goes all the way to the top? They could have taken out the elevator dudes, forced the door open and climbed as one group, no? Is there some advantage bestowed by being stuck in a metal cage while ascending?

It's what, 15, 20 floors? Climbing straight up that far will wipe you out, not to mention climbing means not having a metal cage to protect them from someone just opening a door above them and shooting them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

seaborgium posted:

It's what, 15, 20 floors? Climbing straight up that far will wipe you out, not to mention climbing means not having a metal cage to protect them from someone just opening a door above them and shooting them.

Well the alternative and what they actually did was send two guys up to the queen's chamber without knowing how many people were even up there or even considering that maybe there's a group of people up where with guns/bows pointed right at the door waiting for them to open.

It's dumb but the better choice would have been to climb the stairs with the entire group.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the thread has been so quiet, but our season finale is tomorrow night!

:siren: S3 E16 Perverse Instantiation, Pt 2

The heroes start facing the harsh reality of their situation as all parties gear up for the final face off.

I'm rooting for Raven to save the day. :woop:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I hope it doesn't happen, but that synopsis could totally leave them open to just do a cliff hanger ending. Especially so as they know they have already been renewed for season four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If they beat ALIE, I wonder what next season will bring? I'm hoping it ends with the City of Light destroyed, ALIE gone, Grounders and Arkers free and ready to be friends, Jaha, and everybody restored to being nice, Kane in charge...and then the New Chinese Empire Helicopters land! :getin:

• Locked thread