Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

7c Nickel posted:

But that's litterally an updated Doomguy helmet.

It's got the vents on the top, the horizontal vents on the mouthpiece and the kinda mandible shaped vents on the side.

I'm currently wearing a Doom t-shirt. I've been staring at those abs since I was seven years old. Don't you think I know that?

I've always known that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the shotgun rapid fire.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
based on what I've played so far, SP and MP, the following guns are awesome:

all of them

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you would like to party up in multiplayer and gently caress poo poo up™, add me on steam

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The hell rifle seems pretty underwhelming in multiplayer, but every other gun I've played with so far is fun as hell anyways. I've been crushing it so far with the chaingun. What a rush this game is. It seems way better than when it was in beta.

Playing with the Baron hell rune is incredible.

I'm about to dip into single player but I'm very happy my concerns with multiplayer were mitigated for the most part.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Can you mod the game now without any mod-tools? When I played Doom 3 I had to mod all the enemies' fireball-like projectiles to move 3 times as fast to make the game challenging to play, and also increase some of the demon's hitpoints. I also modded the Doom 3 plasma gun to sound like the one from Doom 1.

Will I have to do that here: make the enemies' fireballs go faster? I don't care for respawning enemies, just want to make them shoot faster and perhaps tougher to kill.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Been watching Dime play Nightmare for the past couple hours, SP looks really good.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Game is fun. Enemies and environments look great, the weapons are satisfying.

Can't wait for them to patch in Vulkan support so my fps can go hog wild.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress didn't they send out review code or demo the single player on PC those ret4rds

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game is amazing. It's just really really really fun. The alternate weapon mods are great. This is everything I ever wanted in doom.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they send out review code or demo the single player on PC those ret4rds

they're just continuing their job of doing an absolutely lovely attempt at promoting what seems to be a really solid game

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pomp posted:

What difference does it make when loads of people would have bought it even if there was zero press, and then it would have spread like wild fire on social media.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Pomp posted:

You can stop this weird 'joke' you've got going now, it's old

Game is fun, there's not much more to say. I came into it expecting Doom and Doom is what I got, it's a fun as a gently caress romp. Shield guys can gently caress off forever though :argh:.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bardeh posted:

they're just continuing their job of doing an absolutely lovely attempt at promoting what seems to be a really solid game

80 or so percent of this thread was ironically or actually bitching about how this game will suck based on almost nothing, YouTube and the rest of the Net wasn't much better. I'd say they were just like gently caress it and that we wouldn't listen to reviews anyway so might as well just have people happily surprised that it's a good game by playing it themselves and begrudgingly eat crow.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm waiting to monday to hate it like a cool person.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sometimes you fistbump the little Doomguy collectables when you find one.

I didn't expect to use :3: for Doom 4.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo has anyone died in the lava yet? Do it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is it just me or is Steam making GBS threads the bed on lots of servers around the US?

...for downloading the game that is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

nnnotime posted:

Will I have to do that here: make the enemies' fireballs go faster? I don't care for respawning enemies, just want to make them shoot faster and perhaps tougher to kill.

No, definitely not. An imp or two can completely wreck your poo poo, at least on Nightmare difficulty. As far as respawning enemies goes, I've been playing Nightmare for the past couple of hours and don't believe that enemies respawn like they do in classic Doom 1/2 Nightmare difficulty, so you should be good there.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Is it just me or is Steam making GBS threads the bed on lots of servers around the US?

...for downloading the game that is.

I was downloading it at 2.6 MB/s, now only getting 469KB/s :(

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This is why I pre-ordered...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else notice how the chainsaw looks eerily similar to the chainsaw used in Wolf: TNO? That would be kinda cool if there's a skin that made it look like the one from it, and he mumbles how his great great great great Grandfather Blazkovich supposedly used one just like it to carve up Nazis. Come to think of it Doomguy IS the descendant of Keen and BJ and how TNO played out with the world conquered by Nazi super science and being on the moon etc etc.......is Doom just another extension of far future Nazi based super science trying to bring forth an eternal Hell Reich??? And you have to keep stopping it over and over again???? Cause that sounds metal as gently caress.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

This is why I pre-ordered...

I would have if their marketing had shown more of the awesome PC footage we've seen in the past couple of days, instead of the completely underwhelming console footage they've been using to promote the game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This game is good.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

I would have if their marketing had shown more of the awesome PC footage we've seen in the past couple of days, instead of the completely underwhelming console footage they've been using to promote the game.

I knew I was going to love the game after the Beta. I thought it was fun.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I didn't even know this game was coming out now, until I checked for new games on Steam a couple of days ago.

Also, was I the only person who really liked Doom 3? It was more Dead Space than classic Doom, but I like those games.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Awesome Welles posted:

This game is good.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone else get a black screen but navigatable menus when switching over to multiplayer?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Am I alone in just ignoring grenades entirely? Half of the time I remember that it's there I accidentally toss it into a pit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Boz0r posted:

I didn't even know this game was coming out now, until I checked for new games on Steam a couple of days ago.

Also, was I the only person who really liked Doom 3? It was more Dead Space than classic Doom, but I like those games.

doom 3 was a solid game. it was different, yeah, but it was fun.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Boz0r posted:

I liked Doom 3 as well, and I feel it was kind of Doom-like in its own weird way. They sort of took Doom's idea of "Learn how to fight this enemy" and scaled it down to something more intimate.

Megafunk posted:

Am I alone in just ignoring grenades entirely? Half of the time I remember that it's there I accidentally toss it into a pit.

I only throw them when I remember to for that one rune challenge. Otherwise, the second equipment you get later on is so much better.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Xenaero posted:

:perfect:

I had to stop for the evening but I can't wait to play more tomorrow. Doom owns.

edit: I love how little of anyone's poo poo Doomguy takes.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 13, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I think I might like singleplayer more than multiplayer ?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xenaero posted:

Well what the hell happens??? My GameStop was lame and didn't have a midnight release. 10am pickup for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SP is glorious. It is absolutely literally seriously Doom in modern form. It's fast, brutal, action packed. Glory kills kick rear end and work great with the smooth feel of the gameplay. And I mean smooth. The game feels and controls like butter. The framerate feels completely locked at 60fps/1080p on the PS4 and it adds a lot to the game.

The multiplayer beta didn't grab me at all but after a few rounds tonight I'm sold. It's got the proper CoD carrot dangling bits and the old school jump around shooting rockets bits.

Game is great. Unless it majestically spirals into turd hell in the last half then I have to say they did a good job making a true sequel to the pre-3 Doom games.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Game is fun as hell. :ironicat:

I'm so loving terrible at multiplayer. Seems like its all about getting the powerups and going demon, but I haven't managed to grab it in like 10 matches.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Game owns and combat is constant movement it's great. Standing still at all will get you hosed in a split second

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
lol it figures all the naysayers in this thread would be completely wrong. This game is so loving good it hurts.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

reading these posts is going to be so cringe inducing about a month from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

It looks like Vulkan is in via -vulkan command line arg.