Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

Any recommendations for a repeatable quest that a couple of thousand PP can level you from 1-12+ on Phinny ?

They patched those quests a couple months ago to give significantly less exp. you're better off paying a Druid to follow you around crushbone for an hour with DS and regen on casting a heal when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a krono

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Some of my P99 friends, that I haven't played with in years because of reasons, are moving over to Phinny to start life anew. Gonna fire it up!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't played every quest in 15 years but I want to again but I want to just twink a monk or something and solo everything. Do I have to buy plat or is there any easier way

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Black Baby Goku posted:

I haven't played every quest in 15 years but I want to again but I want to just twink a monk or something and solo everything. Do I have to buy plat or is there any easier way

Start a character on the Test server and a goon can hook you up with everything you need pretty easily.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do they still wipe test? I kind of wanted to play on a regular server if they are more populated. I don't have an issue subscribing either

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
They havent wiped Test since before like, Luclin. The only benefit to playing there is that everything* is free (you get 'Gold' Status or whatever they call it now automatically). Test has a hosed economy (because Plat has almost no value, since you can copy everything to Test) and a small playerbase.

Someone else ITT can probably recommend a more populated server to play on, but if you just want to mess around/box for free, Test is fine.

*Almost everything. I don't think you get the two latest expansions for free now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I recommended Test because it sounded like you just wanted to find the easiest way to twink a monk and solo all the old world stuff.

If you plan on continuing to play, or grouping/raiding, etc then you would definitely want to play on a live server instead.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who knows. I just have the itch to revisit my favorite game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Black Baby Goku posted:

Who knows. I just have the itch to revisit my favorite game

Go with Test then. Start a character at level 25 with /testbuff, get your mercenary and level up to like 70 in two hours. Every time I decide to scratch the EQ itch I hop on Test because it's free and I can play multiple characters to screw around with. Hell, if your account is old enough you might be eligible for the free "Heroic" character that starts at level 85 with all the appropriate skills and nice armor.

Be warned though that any old world boss is pretty much permanently camped.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They need to put in a way to turn in an item or something to get the boss to spawn so old world camping isn't an issue. Is it possible to solo Veeshans Peak or no?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Black Baby Goku posted:

They need to put in a way to turn in an item or something to get the boss to spawn so old world camping isn't an issue. Is it possible to solo Veeshans Peak or no?

Lol, easily. A few years back when we had our goon resurgance I solo'd a dragon or two in it, and I wasn't even near max level. It wasn't like a 5 second fight, and I had to push all the buttons, but as long as you know your class it's fine. I wasn't even boxing (probably had a merc).

Anyone have any tips on starting out on Phinny? I generally play a monk (Bruman on P99 / Brumans on Live), but I'm thinking of going Bard this time (only ever played one to 30 or so, on the short-lived Sleeper server).

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's max level now and what's phinny? Progression server?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

xZAOx posted:

Lol, easily. A few years back when we had our goon resurgance I solo'd a dragon or two in it, and I wasn't even near max level. It wasn't like a 5 second fight, and I had to push all the buttons, but as long as you know your class it's fine. I wasn't even boxing (probably had a merc).

Anyone have any tips on starting out on Phinny? I generally play a monk (Bruman on P99 / Brumans on Live), but I'm thinking of going Bard this time (only ever played one to 30 or so, on the short-lived Sleeper server).
Bard may be harder to start a eq career with because you don't have solo capabilities like other classes and you can't aoe kite like in p99. But bard doesn't really need too much gear anyway. It can be fun but it's not traditional fun. You have to like running really fast and buffing people. You have to like playing support role, because your damage will suck and your tanking will suck.

Make friends that are good and run around with them and support them and they may not thank you, but you help a lot.

Killing armadillos outside Freeport, like South ro or North ro, whatever it is, right off the bat is pretty good money.

Phinny is the new progression server, yeah, that are in kunark I think.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you buy plat easily to twink

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Your friend Kron Os can fairly easily.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE

xZAOx posted:

The low levels will go by slower than they do on P99. Past 15 or so it evens out to still probably less than P99, but 1-15 is absolutely miserable.

I burned out at 36 because I just couldn't keep up with the grind. I hit 36 in about 60 hours /played, and most of that was with double XP and an XP potion. Can't imagine playing on Phinny without the double XP given the 3 month unlocks.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's Kronos

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone playing on Frionia Vie? I leveled up to 45 in 1 day

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dracneir posted:

The low levels will go by slower than they do on P99. Past 15 or so it evens out to still probably less than P99, but 1-15 is absolutely miserable.

I burned out at 36 because I just couldn't keep up with the grind. I hit 36 in about 60 hours /played, and most of that was with double XP and an XP potion. Can't imagine playing on Phinny without the double XP given the 3 month unlocks.

I averaged about 1 level per hour on Phinny until 45 or so when it slowed down to 1 level every 2-3 hours. 60 hours to get to level 36 is a drastically high estimate.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Level 60 now working on my SK epic

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

I averaged about 1 level per hour on Phinny until 45 or so when it slowed down to 1 level every 2-3 hours. 60 hours to get to level 36 is a drastically high estimate.

My experience is 1 hour per level is...definitely not the norm. Is it possible? Sure, but you gotta be smashing barely reds to see that, and after a level or two, you'd have to move. That, or you're the low guy in the group so that maybe it's yellow/red to the other guys, but super red to you, and you get great exp then.

I'm 21 now, seeing much more like 2-3 hours per level. If you want to stay more efficient, you'd just have to move more often, so you'd lose time in travel. I spent about 8 hours online yesterday, almost all of it in a group in Unrest in MR and Basement. I did stay in MR longer than I should have, but it was a guild group. But even after moving to Basement, it *maybe* was 1.5 hours per level, but even at 21 some of them are turning yellow.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 12, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bards are cool and good but you have to really like the bard life and grouping to play one. It was nice enough because 9/10 you're pulling and it required just enough attention to make me not want to box. Too bad progression servers kind of bore the poo poo out of me.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Playing a bard from 2000-2005 had the side benefit of teaching me how to type stupidly-fast.

I finally managed to kick the habit of typing out 2.5 second bursts (what I learned to do between twisting songs) in chat programs though.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

xZAOx posted:

My experience is 1 hour per level is...definitely not the norm. Is it possible? Sure, but you gotta be smashing barely reds to see that, and after a level or two, you'd have to move. That, or you're the low guy in the group so that maybe it's yellow/red to the other guys, but super red to you, and you get great exp then.

I'm 21 now, seeing much more like 2-3 hours per level. If you want to stay more efficient, you'd just have to move more often, so you'd lose time in travel. I spent about 8 hours online yesterday, almost all of it in a group in Unrest in MR and Basement. I did stay in MR longer than I should have, but it was a guild group. But even after moving to Basement, it *maybe* was 1.5 hours per level, but even at 21 some of them are turning yellow.

How many kills per hour can you do there? Guk and castle mistmoore are insane xp coefficient and numbers of spawns available.

Not saying you're bad or wrong, but I've def seen majority of groups just be absolutely poo poo at mass killing chain pulling.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 13, 2016

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
1-10 however you want. I usually head to Crushbone and Upper Guk entrance at 5.

10-15 Unrest Yard.

15-20 Unrest MR

20-25 Fireplace

25-30 Basement

30-40 Lower Guk

40-46 Burning Woods

46-60 Seb/Chardok

Guaranteed hour a level. I've been doing the same path for 17 years

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

darkhand posted:

How many kills per hour can you do there? Guk and castle mistmoore are insane xp coefficient and numbers of spawns available.

Not saying you're bad or wrong, but I've def seen majority of groups just be absolutely poo poo at mass killing chain pulling.

Yeah, along the same lines, I'm not saying a level an hour isn't possible. But as you said the "majority of groups" is what I was addressing. I don't want people to think that you can just join up, get in a pug, and get a level an hour as the norm. If you're the puller/tank and can set the speed, and your group's DPS good, and it's yellows/reds, definitely can.

But I think the typical experience with typical pugs isn't that efficient, so anyone looking to join should probably expect more of 1-3 hours, in that range, per level. And XP pots of course helps that if you want to chug 'em.

Last night I got in a good uguk group, killing whites-reds at 'three way' or whatever near the zoneline, and that was about 1-1.5 hours per level, pretty nice.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They hosed up and unlocked Velious a week early on Phinny. Said they couldn't undo it without 'damaging the servers'.

DBG, never change.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm level 83 and finding it hard to find a spot to level. Any ideas?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically I want to hit 105 and get into the new content

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm level 83 and finding it hard to find a spot to level. Any ideas?

Are you soloing, with a merc? Boxing a full group? I think from 82-85 I messed around in Secrets of Faydwer content (Loping Plains? Maybe somewhere else) but it wasn't particularly fast. I remember doing Oceangreen Hills because there's a Heroes Journey or whatever achievement for two earrings with like 900 hp and click effects.

85-ish you could probably do HoT content but I think you really need a full group to do that at that level and even with full Abstruse I was getting wrecked on my SK. This is sorta where I petered out in my 4box group.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just have a merc and it's going so slow and I don't know what anything is or does including heroes journey. There's too much goddamn content if you can believe it

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Black Baby Goku posted:

Basically I want to hit 105 and get into the new content

You really don't.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Black Baby Goku posted:

I just have a merc and it's going so slow and I don't know what anything is or does including heroes journey. There's too much goddamn content if you can believe it

83 you can do Feerott: The Dream for some solid exp with merc. HoT Grounds could be decent too. Levels really tend to slow down from 85-95 though. What server are you on?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 20, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm on FV

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Get into Beka, zeka whatever those places are off faydwer. SoD stuff is also good like korascian warrens, or convorteum from under foot.
Pellucid grotto quest, filling the repository is pretty big exp till like 85.
Go into ferrott and get your j5merc quest done. I wouldn't level in ferrott but other house of Thule stuff is good.

If you're sk you can start swarming

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 21, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's swarming. My merc is only journeyman tier 1. How do you increase it?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Go into ferrott, the dream and get "no heroism without fear" from Investigator Drolmer, complete it then rebuy your merc to j5 in pok.

Swarming is gathering up like hundreds of mobs and popping mortal coil, or epic, or lichsting with your burn buttons and mowing them down with a big 2hander. Your riposte will take a giant poo poo on the mobs and heal you,, hopefully keeping you alive till the mobs die.

The AA that turns you into a zombie and gives you dmg boost is the biggest burn aa I think.

The kedge place (keep?) off katta castrum is probably the easiest place to learn how to swarm since hardly anything summons in there. Then you can try zeka/fort mech stuff/or ashengate.

But it's a huge game changer for sk solo exp

darkhand fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 21, 2016

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Dracneir posted:

huh. their info blurb about it says it's significantly faster than the game was at launch. i guess that is bullshit?

p99 is already like molasses to me, at least without being able to twink myself because no money. in original EQ i spent like 90% of my time trading in gfay and poo poo to get cash before ever getting to level 25. I eventually self twinked myself pretty well and got all the way up to 42 on my rogue before quitting to play some other mmo, probably anarchy online some time after luclin. it also let me twink alts and poo poo which is fun. for whatever reason i actually (kind of) enjoy the leveling process, at least if it is not abysmally hard or unrewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Quarm sounds cool, except I'm not 16 anymore, and a "race" server just doesn't seem like a great idea. More money and development into TLP and less into EQ Live too, so I have high hopes that the next expansion is going to be a piece of poo poo like TBM was.

I don't know why they would use the name Quarm either. I thought Quarm would have been Al'Kabor's replacement: a server locked at Planes of Power.