Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We quite literally have held the idea for some time, since before Blogia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pffft, old people :nixon:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Original idea. See? We're made for each other!!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Let's be honest for once. Original idea.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AJ_Impy posted:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, this one, for all his rough incompetence, is pretty cool with women.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AJ_Impy posted:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

The Countess's eyebrow rises. "You value your convictions so greatly that you would defend them in the face of the massed disapproval of your fellows? Your superiors? Your King?" Her lips curl into a smile. "My, but you are brave."

You incline your head. "You compliment me, my lady."

Welles replies with a quirk of her lips. "Partially. I also warn you: an excess of bravery is a dangerous thing. In battle, it could see a man wounded or killed. In society, it might do much worse."

For a moment, there is naught but the sound of carriage wheels rolling over cobblestone. Welles looks away, takes a deep breath, and meets your gaze, her expression set.

"If you would plan to continue to lend your support to me, to my cause, to entangle your good name with mine, then there is something I must confess," she says.

Your mind flashes with possibilities as you steel yourself for the shock of some sudden realisation. Does she have some terrible secret? Some great liability?

Welles leans in just enough for the patterns of moonlight to shift over her darkened face. "What I proposed tonight is naught but the first step. I would see ladies of the blood become more than file clerks in uniform."

She takes a deep breath. "I would see women of noble blood lead men into battle in my lifetime."

Saints be damned.

"My lady, I fear that where you would go, I could not follow."

"Surely, there are practical obstacles to such a thing."

"I would follow any conviction, my lady, so long as it was yours."

"Then we are of a mind, you and I."

+5% Idealism

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Great minds

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Put it this way. We've seen her in a position where she could kill us with unwavering impunity in service to His Majesty's army. The only thing that stopped her was the intelligence officer, who is also female. Either of them would make far better officers than, say, that waste of space we relieved on a supply run a while back. We are of one mind.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Great minds

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

Either of them would make far better officers than, say, that waste of space we relieved on a supply run a while back. We are of one mind.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Seriously, the ladies of the realm can't gently caress it up worse than the pampered dandies have this far, We are of one mind

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

AJ_Impy posted:

Put it this way. We've seen her in a position where she could kill us with unwavering impunity in service to His Majesty's army. The only thing that stopped her was the intelligence officer, who is also female. Either of them would make far better officers than, say, that waste of space we relieved on a supply run a while back. We are of one mind.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We are not of one mind, I refuse to bandwagon! :bahgawd:

practical considerations will surely need to be made

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We must be Practical.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

AJ_Impy posted:

Either of them would make far better officers than, say, that waste of space we relieved on a supply run a while back. We are of one mind.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

The Countess's lips curl into a smile. "I had not thought that the officers of the King's Army would count among them such a radical," she notes.

"I would not count myself a radical, my lady," you reply. "I am merely someone who believes that every person born blessed with the aptitude of command which baneblood brings should be allowed to use it to their full potential, regardless of sex. I would not consider that a radical thought."

Welles's smile grows wider. "Then we are of a mind, sir."

The coach lurches to a stop.

Welles peers out the window for a moment. "We've arrived," she announces. The coach rocks on its springs as the dark shadow of the driver gets up from his seat, walks around to the side of the carriage, and reaches for the door.

"Your billet should be just across the street," the Countess says as the door on your side of the closed compartment opens. As you step out onto the street, she offers you the back of one hand, the white kidskin of her glove glowing pale blue in the light of the moon and stars. "I very much hope, sir, that we shall soon meet again," she says earnestly as your lips brush the soft leather of her gloved knuckle.

"As I you," you reply. "Good evening, my lady."

"Good evening, Sancroix," she answers.

Then, with a bright smile on her lips, she is gone, her coach rattling away, leaving you alone before the darkened entrance to your quarters.

quote:

As you walk the short distance to your billet, your mind is occupied by thoughts of the outspoken young Lady Welles.

You cross the street, bootspurs clattering against the cobblestone, still lost in thought. As the chill night wind plucks at the hem of your greatcoat, you think upon your encounters with the Countess on this day, binding each facet of an impression together.

By the time you reach your door, you have come to a singular conclusion.

Lady Welles has captivated me utterly; I must see her again, and soon.

I rather think that we shall get along famously, Lady Welles and I.

To become an intimate of the Countess would serve my ambitions quite well, indeed.

To me, the lady seems no more or less charming than most.

Saints be damned if I have not ever met a more unpleasant woman in my life.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
We're going to get along famously. She has the king's ear and is on first name terms with our intel officer. We're an influential military rising star. Together, we can introduce a wave of warcrimes across this benighted land that the whole world would tremble to witness.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
She wants to murder people just like us! We must see her again! Like, Katrina is fine but we've been disagreeing with her advice a lot and seemed cold whereas this one seems to actually like us!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We shall be an (in)famous duo

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Looks, charm, actually seems to like us, and she's in tight with people of power. What more could we ask for in a potential murder wife? I can't wait to see her again.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Goon naivety is showing up. Do you guys really think she is not manipulating us? I'd say To become an intimate of the Countess would serve our ambitions quite well, indeed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Camoes posted:

Goon naivety is showing up. Do you guys really think she is not manipulating us? I'd say To become an intimate of the Countess would serve our ambitions quite well, indeed.

Do you really think Sancroix would be able to reverse manipulate an intelligence officer, just because he's self-aware? Being a pawn of intelligence is a good career move and could get us a wife. I can't wait to be exploited.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Gonna be famous how mad Katarina when we're BFFs with the Countess

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

She seems okay, but we don't yet know her opinions on warcrimes, so we're definitely not captivated. However it's undoubtedly true that becoming her intimate will serve our ambitions.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
She's More or Less ok in our book.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Our war crime's will be famous throughout the world!!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sure, we're using each other, but we also get along famously.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

quote:

Saints be damned if I have not ever met a more unpleasant woman in my life.

:argh: This makes me way more mad than it should.

Anyway, we'll get along famously.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You come to the realisation that you are quite taken by the young noblewoman, for you find in her the best qualities of Tierran womanhood, from her sharp mind, to her handsome features, to her willingness to speak her mind, standing up for what is right.

Certainly, there can be no harm in continuing to associate with such a bright young lady further.

That night, you sleep well, knowing that you have found in the Countess a woman, a mind, and a fellow baneblood worth befriending.

quote:

The town of Solokovil had fallen without a fight. The King's division had reached the town in the summer of the previous year. Faced with an army of twelve thousand men, the lord of the city had only been able to muster a few hundred ill-armed serfs to man the town's archaic walls. Ultimately, the man had wisely chosen honourable surrender over suicide, sparing his people and his town the gallery of horrors which was to be visited upon Kharangia not two months later.

As a result, the King's division was able to take the town intact, without a single shot fired.

It was a damned fortunate thing in more ways than one; Solokovil is only a fraction of the size of Kharangia, and even with every house undamaged and much of the original population driven out, space is at an absolute premium.

Your own quarters are nothing more than a pair of rooms in what you suppose had once been the house of some prosperous freeholder or other. Your new bedroom is cramped and bare compared to the luxurious quarters you had enjoyed in Kharangia, but to your lieutenants, who must make do with one room each, or your enlisted men, packed into single houses by the dozen, the very privilege of even having a separate bedroom is an extravagant luxury.

However, it is the other room given over to your use, your office, in which you spend almost the whole of your waking hours, bound to your desk while your subordinates range out from the town in accordance with His Tierran Majesty's grand plan.

The King, it seems, has taken Solokovil for a specific reason, namely the fact that the town lies a mere thirty-five kilometres south of what had once been Prince Khorobirit's main camp at the town of Mhillanovil. Though the bulk of Khorobirit's forces have long gone south to retake Kharangia, you are quickly made aware that the Antari continue to route their supplies through their former base.

That is apparently why the King has ordered the Antari remaining in Mhillanovil to be placed under constant watch by all the available squadrons of cavalry under his command, which now includes yours.

For the duration, the three troops commanded by your lieutenants have been broken up into individual patrols, sent off on vedette duty while you must remain in Solokovil with your two remaining troops held in reserve for any eventuality or crisis.

However, that hardly means that you have any time for leisure; as a squadron commander detached from your regiment, you are responsible for both managing your subordinates' patrol schedules and keeping your command fed, supplied, and equipped. While the men under your command ride out to spy upon the enemy, you spend the day spying nothing but the endless stream of requisition forms, notices, and memoranda which Marion brings to your desk.

As the weeks pass and the summer grows sweltering hot, your subordinates lead their men out on daring sortie after daring sortie, while you are left behind to deal with the paperwork.

I had hoped squadron command to be more 'dash and heroics' and less 'sign on the dashed line.'

To be truthful, I am indifferent.

I am eager do whatever the King's Army demands of me.

I do not love it, but I mislike getting shot at regularly even more.

In fact, I am rather partial to paperwork.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Paperwork bad! Being shot at, extra bad!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ParanoidInc posted:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:geno: meh

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ParanoidInc posted:

This

After dying the close calls at Blogia and the Forlorn Hope, Al probably has had his fill of getting shot at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Antari are supposed to vaguely be the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, right?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
We do what we are bid, and are eager.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Whatever the king says, goes :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."