Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

How do I quote tweets? Omar has an amazingly lovely tweet from May 9 at 7:55am

KDx17 = Kenyan Drakes Twitter

Just paste the link to the tweet like this and it'll be autoconverted: (it won't convert in the preview you have to actually submit it)

paste this:
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/730838043741978624

to get this:
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/730838043741978624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:suicide:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/729641035446521856

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:stonklol:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

what a loving baby

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

WHOOPS posted:

The throughline of the whole article is about how out of touch Brandt is because he's so old. it doesn't even try to offer up why Tunsil should have made the list - just that Brandt must not get it cause he could be Gase's grandpa so there's a lot of things he wouldn't understand about kids today. Ageism is exactly what it is and it should be called directly.

Well in that case I hope one day old white men are able to cast off their oppressors and live free.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

SlipUp posted:

Well in that case I hope one day old white men are able to cast off their oppressors and live free.

*in black guy from the bridge of kool thing voice* word up

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SlipUp posted:

He's right though

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

speaking of idiotism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SlipUp posted:

You seem really upset about something really reasonable

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Well I'm glad there's so much support against ageism in this particular circumstance, I hope we can all approach the next NFL celebration clampdown or owner racism controversy with the same consistency.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SlipUp posted:

Well I'm glad there's so much support against ageism in this particular circumstance, I hope we can all approach the next NFL celebration clampdown or owner racism controversy with the same consistency.

U mad

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
bro?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

"stop making this a big deal" says only guy making it a big deal

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Old people suck so I'm with slipup

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I'm expressing an opinion that you're free to disagree with. :911: Hate on me all you want for pointing out nobody gives a poo poo about it when it's not self satisfying.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

everyone is actually bad and should be discriminated against if you stop and think about it

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Could someone point out the ageist section of the quoted column? For legitimate discussion purposes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Um....

quote:

I’m guessing that Gil Brandt, 83, probably couldn’t have thought of many uses for a gas mask during his college days at the University of Wisconsin.

Not even as a self-preservation device to be used during Vietnam protests rocked with tear gas, since Brandt finished up with school long before any of that unrest hit U.S. campuses.

You know, the first lines of the article. Although a bonus dumb thing:

quote:

Gil Brandt’s alphabetical list of 2016 draftees most likely to make immediate impacts

Roberto Aguayo K Tampa Bay 2nd rd

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SlipUp posted:

Could someone point out the ageist section of the quoted column? For legitimate discussion purposes.

quote:

Can’t blame Brandt, though, for a judgment that is generational in nature. He’s always been great with me during Super Bowl media sessions. Thoughtful and kind. Truth is, his opinions are better than most because they’re not based solely on a data stream of physical measurements and analytics.

If he doesn’t trust Tunsil enough to project him as a Day 1 starter for Miami, it’s probably because Brandt doesn’t get the guy at all, what he’s thinking, what he’s willing to risk, what, if anything, will make him a great teammate and not just a great athlete.

This is the part that I thought was dumb. It's basically, "Gil Brandt can't understand Laremy Tunsil because Gil Brandt is old."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Oops I was making fun of Gil there and didn't realize. Maybe he's pretty dumb too.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Grittybeard posted:

Um....

Implying senior citizens being ignorant of how to use a gas masks for drug consumption seems pretty tame for accusations of diminishing the humanity of old people. Or is it the reference that he graduated before the Vietnam protests? Hardly the edgiest of jokes.

Ehud posted:

This is the part that I thought was dumb. It's basically, "Gil Brandt can't understand Laremy Tunsil because Gil Brandt is old."

I agree it was dumb for him to make a big deal about Brandt not including Tunsil, but it's a reach to see him saying anything offensive toward Brandt in this quote. If anything he goes out of his way to compliment Brandt, probably to backtrack on his opening.

Is the implication old people don't understand youth culture what's offensive? That doesn't seem like an offensive statement on it's face. The most offense I could gleam personally is referring to Brandt as old in the first place. Which is mean to Brandt but doesn't exactly put old people down as a whole.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 13, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't know because I'm not offended. I was posting it because I thought it was one of the dumbest things I've read in a while from any south Florida sports guys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's like there's a mental reflex in some people who as soon as they see the suffix -ism attatched to anything they start yelling "WHY ARE YOU SO OFFENDED" at everyone involved

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Except I was calling out a completely different -ism very recently when I saw it but it's cool that you can craft a comfortable narrative on the fly.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

it's like there's a mental reflex in some people who as soon as they see the suffix -ism attatched to anything they start yelling "WHY ARE YOU SO OFFENDED" at everyone involved

its called chronic GBS

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SlipUp posted:

Is the implication old people don't understand youth culture what's offensive? That doesn't seem like an offensive statement on it's face. The most offense I could gleam personally is referring to Brandt as old in the first place.

The problem in my opinion is he says 'holy poo poo this dude is old, his opinion is worthless' without explaining why it's worthless, other than making a couple of dumb jokes.

It's not even hard to poke holes in why the 'holy poo poo he smoked pot' argument is bad, but he doesn't bother to do that. He just says 'hey this dude doesn't like, get the kids, man.'

e: I guess Brandt doesn't even really get into the pot thing. Or say anything other than he isn't sure Tunsil will make an immediate impact. I mean sure, he's going to be playing guard for the Dolphins so he will by default, but that's a different column.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 13, 2016

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

According to this actual slide from the harassment training from my work, Gil Brandt is a member of a protected group and this most likely constitutes harassment.

Not sure who the shocked man overhearing all of this corresponds to in this specific situation, although it does kind of look like courtroom-sketch Brady.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I've got a bunch of issues with the article because if you understood Miami you'd know how huge it was a guy of that caliber fell to us, especially if you subscribe to the train of thought that a good offensive line will elevate a running back and quarterback.

It was such an easy thing to refute but instead he took a weird "lol old man just doesn't get it" stance

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hahahaha

Shocked bystander. Can someone please make that avatar sized? I have a Dolphins themed avatar idea brewing...

I'll revisit this when I have a moment

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's kind of hosed up that guy keeps his blowup doll in the corner like that

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

SlipUp posted:

Except I was calling out a completely different -ism very recently when I saw it but it's cool that you can craft a comfortable narrative on the fly.

why do people do this stupid poo poo where they mistake SA for a courtroom procedural and use phrases like "craft a comfortable narrative on the fly"

if this is law and order i call dibs on being Jack McCoy

Nov 6, 2002

That guy's face is like at least an 8 out of 10 on a scale of punchability.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Turdsdown Tom posted:

why do people do this stupid poo poo where they mistake SA for a courtroom procedural and use phrases like "craft a comfortable narrative on the fly"

more like dick wolf

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Implying senior citizens being ignorant of how to use a gas masks for drug consumption seems pretty tame for accusations of diminishing the humanity of old people. Or is it the reference that he graduated before the Vietnam protests? Hardly the edgiest of jokes.

I agree it was dumb for him to make a big deal about Brandt not including Tunsil, but it's a reach to see him saying anything offensive toward Brandt in this quote. If anything he goes out of his way to compliment Brandt, probably to backtrack on his opening.

Is the implication old people don't understand youth culture what's offensive? That doesn't seem like an offensive statement on it's face. The most offense I could gleam personally is referring to Brandt as old in the first place. Which is mean to Brandt but doesn't exactly put old people down as a whole.

No one is calling it offensive. I don't know why you're jumping to that conclusion. This isn't some grandstanding about the oppression of old people or part of some #OldPeopleMatter movement. The point of ageism label is to articulate why it was a dumb article so if the author or any one else wants to go down a similar path, they take a moment to root their criticism in something substantive than age (or at least back it up with quotes that display an older person as being out of touch).

And even that makes it sound like a bigger deal than what it is - it's just good, simple discourse on getting away from bad opinions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Objection! Your honor, he's badgering the witness...

Nov 6, 2002

I wanna be the guy who confesses to everything under cross examination.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am the vaguely skeezy defense lawyer who gets crucial evidence thrown out because Lennie Briscoe never follows the loving procedure

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to be the overexcited defense attorney that questions the prosc witness' credentials to the point where the judge shouts that the witness is an expert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

I want to be the overexcited defense attorney that questions the prosc witness' credentials to the point where the judge shouts that the witness is an expert!

you're why we always loving lose!

• Locked thread