Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh please, little things like facts and circumstances and common sense have never stopped the Chucklehate.

Wow, warpednaba, I never took you for a Chucklefuck. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Leal posted:

Look, what if Chucklefish comes out and goes "Hey CA, you know using crab pots to get easy quartz bars is a little too simple. We might 'have a delay' with multiplayer if you don't arbitrarily remove it"?

you're funny

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh please, little things like facts and circumstances and common sense have never stopped the Chucklehate.

I think it's fine to have an opinion on the game, but it's sad to see it escalate to baseless personal attacks against the developers. Hopefully once 1.0 hits that will subside.

Mazz posted:

Yeah, I'm not really making the connection here since it's been explicitly stated that Chucklefish is only there to help with technical poo poo like multiplayer and porting, both of which require a lot of work that have absolutely zero connection to the actual content of the game. They've explicitly stated every time this has been mentioned that CA gets all creative control at all times.

This is correct. We're already making good progress internally, and we're collaborating with Sickhead Games on the Mac and Linux porting.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, so far Chucklefish has done this game right. As long as they can handle the directing of porting and multi-player while CA adds content, then it's a good relationship.

But if adding content keeps breaking multiplayer, then we're going to have a problem.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I figure multiplayer will either just be minigames (like the various festivals) or collaborative dungeon diving.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I even want multiplayer. I mean, it sounds cool on paper I guess. But what are you doing really? One guy waters plants while the other guy goes to the dungeon I guess? You can clear the farm of debris faster? Dungeon combat isnt exactly Dark Souls so two people would just demolish it. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I even want multiplayer. I mean, it sounds cool on paper I guess. But what are you doing really? One guy waters plants while the other guy goes to the dungeon I guess? You can clear the farm of debris faster? Dungeon combat isnt exactly Dark Souls so two people would just demolish it. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination.

The desert dungeon might be interesting with more players.

Generally I like the idea of MP but I sort of agree that the game needs a little more depth for there to be much point beyond resource sharing and minmax racing.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Hello goons, I have just started playing this game. It is fun, and good. I also know there are lots of mods despite the fact that a proper mod framework isn't out yet.

My question is this: are there any mods to replace all the text in the game with something a bit more... readable? Thanks

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I sort of agree. I looked forward to multiplayer but once the farm is cleared of debri it's just watering plants and patting animals left.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
When my baby (Shaft) was born I was drunk, face down, in a half-harvested field of bok choi.

I have become my father.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Curse you Pam! You chose the absolute worst day to be too hungover to drive the bus. All my summer plans undone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Curse you Pam! You chose the absolute worst day to be too hungover to drive the bus. All my summer plans undone.

Disappointment comes to us all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
What? That's really a thing that can happen?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It never happened before but I just booted it up today and it happened. Has there been a patch recently?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder what happens if you bring her coffee.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been wondering how exactly multiplayer is gonna work. Will the bus just take you to an identical Stardew Valley, where the other person's farm is? Will both characters be working on one farm in Stardew Valley? Have they released any details?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nope, so far it's just been "it will be a feature."

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
How will the money be divided. If it's a 50-50 split of the take and you can bring that gold back to your own farm then it would be trivial to become rich early in a character. And resource sharing, if you can go to another's farm and access their boxes that seems rife for griefing. Or even just harvest their crops and not give them to them.

Probably the best way to do multi would be to ignore the farming part and have it be minigames. Maybe fishing competitions, etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nooo I want to make a farm with my friend.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I guess it could work where the host gets to hold and manage the money.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
controversial opinion:
rival farms

steal your friend's waifu/husbando
block them from buying seeds by hogging the counter
beat them in competitions
give joja a goal like the community center and see who can win first

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Tired Moritz posted:

controversial opinion:
rival farms

steal your friend's waifu/husbando
block them from buying seeds by hogging the counter
beat them in competitions
give joja a goal like the community center and see who can win first

I like it, some additions:
Burn down their crops.
Bust up their alcohol kegs.
Leave their horses head in their bed.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Lawsuit for using your patented proprietary GMO crops due to an "accident"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
realistically, you should be able to run to your rival's farm and start stealing their crops. you can have a battle with swords and maybe the slingshot will be useful.

Your friend goes into their barn to milk the cows and grab the eggs. You sneak by and start stealing their crops. Sensing that they might be coming out, you leave the screen. Your friend sees the havoc and chases you into town, but surprise, you were hiding near the barrow the entire time. So you sneak and steal all their crops and sell them to Joja. Welcome to Dokapon Valley.

Also you can rename their cows and chicken and move their furniture into swastikas.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Marenghi posted:

I like it, some additions:
Burn down their crops.
Bust up their alcohol kegs.
Leave their horses head in their bed.

Stabbed and left in the mine claiming they had an "accident"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The White Dragon posted:

What? That's really a thing that can happen?

Apparently she's scripted to not work the day after the flower dance. The last Thursday of Spring. The last chance I have to get deluxe speed-gro at half price before summer. All my budgeting and planning counted on that 80g/ea speed gro. I have a huge stack of pale ale Pam, but I hope you enjoy sobriety!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
RIval Farmer VAPELORD CORNHUSKER has invaded!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
YOU SMELTED

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
But what do you really know about these Lords of Egg Hunt, these supposed legends?
Let's take Abigail, for one.
A right and proper daughter, only, she developed a habit of devouring gems...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Multiplayer could be travelling to an arena with some farmland. You have a set amount of time to grow crops/raise animals and you compete against others. Maybe have a free-for-all where you bring in the best stuff you own, or a limited system where you're given basic tools like the lowest tier of sprinklers or no scarecrows for extra challenge? No marriage or festivals, just straight farming. Could do something similar with mining, or just set Calico Desert to be a multiplayer area so people can tackle Skull Cavern together.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stardew Valley MOBA

coming to Kickstarter Fall 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I thought I read somewhere that he was thinking about having it just be a separate mode where you start a new farm together, but that might have been speculation

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Really Pants posted:

Stardew Valley MOBA

coming to Kickstarter Fall 2016

Completing bundles to increase your army of Junimos, but you really depend on your heroes village friends. Marrying a villager increases their stats to legendary proportions

Clint/Willy VS Kent/Leah

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

MrSlam posted:

Completing bundles to increase your army of Junimos, but you really depend on your heroes village friends. Marrying a villager increases their stats to legendary proportions

Clint/Willy VS Kent/Leah

Include fire enblem style support stats.

Penny +Int stats for mages OP

And then kids! Bring your daughter to war day, indeed.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does Leah always choose the first day of spring to have her art show!?

I missed it because I was too busy, you know, farming. Now I have to start the day over again.

Also what's with this Kent guy?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I just want a game mode in which I can drag other players onto my server to work as undocumented migrant labor on my farm. Is that so wrong?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TequilaJesus posted:

Does Leah always choose the first day of spring to have her art show!?

I missed it because I was too busy, you know, farming. Now I have to start the day over again.

Also what's with this Kent guy?

i am almost positive she will hold her art show again if you miss it, since that's basically a heart event for her.

kent is jodi's husband, he wasn't around the first year because he was too busy being a POW. give him sashimi for a good time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, Stardew Valley kinda has that feeling of 'enjoy it while it lasts, rape of Nanking is just around the corner for you hicks!' to it now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wasn't it basically stated we are living in the state that is on the losing side of a bloody war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, Kent did make it out of a POW camp. So either it's civil enough that there are prisoner exchanges, or things have been going well enough that the prison camps are being overrun.