Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Although I'm thinking of playing Deus Ex HR again in preparation for Mankind Divided.

I did that too a few months back. In my opinion it has aged really well aside from some sick tearing on my nvidia card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Harrow posted:

Thanks for the rundown! I'll grab Doom and GZDoom this weekend and have some fun shooting demons.

If doom feels too oldschool for you do try brutal doom or project brutality.

Also the early fps thread really is a good source for all things doom (check out the op)

Ps. before you start the game be sure to fiddle with the settings and turn on stuff like mouselook and change keybinds so you can strafe with a&d and whatnot

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 13, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I did that too a few months back. In my opinion it has aged really well aside from some sick tearing on my nvidia card.

I'm not sure that I ever beat the director's cut. Playing it on 360, so while the graphics might be a bit worse never had any tearing or anything.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean I don't play shooters on PC anymore, and I'm trying to phase out playing my 360 at all because I'm lazy.

Although I'm thinking of playing Deus Ex HR again in preparation for Mankind Divided.

Deus Ex :HR stands up really well to multiple playthroughs

must have played through that game like 4 times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do not play or support Brutal Doom in any way shape or form.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Agreed project brutality is better

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Isn't Brutal Doom the one where he used actual real gore in one of the updates

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can we hate Doom yet? The graphics are too good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

Yeah. That's why it's gross to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

Do not play or support Brutal Doom in any way shape or form.

Ahundredbux posted:

Agreed project brutality is better

Oh comeon guys we get enough of this bickering in the FPS thread lets not spill it over here.

Doom is good, play doom however you like.

Doom 1, doom 2, brutal doom, project brutality, dooom64, doom 4, whatever, just shotgun some demons already.

To each his own doom!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr E posted:

Lol awesome

edit: Well potentially not awesome depending on if it's person gore or like pigs or whatever

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The US constitution allows the right for every man to choose whatever wad they want.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Lol awesome

edit: Well potentially not awesome depending on if it's person gore or like pigs or whatever

He used pictures of car accidents and bombinggs and poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

He used pictures of car accidents and bombinggs and poo poo.

Oh, I don't really want to look at real person gore even if it is just 2d sprites, oh well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Oh, I don't really want to look at real person gore even if it is just 2d sprites, oh well

Its a big :can: but SGT MARK isn't exactly the best human being. He has some... controversial attitudes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RPS of all places recently put up a piece on how BD's gore system works. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/29/brutal-doom-gore/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I'm going to quote myself from the DO4M thread so we can maybe save this thread from itself.

Wamdoodle posted:

Play Doom however you want to honestly. Just play Doom :hellyeah::devil::tfrxmas:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really think you guys are blowing the intensity of the discussion taking place here way out of proportion lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
HURRY STOP HAVING THIS CIVILIZED DISCUSSION BEFORE THE THREAD loving EXPLODES. poo poo PISSSS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

HURRY STOP HAVING THIS CIVILIZED DISCUSSION BEFORE THE THREAD loving EXPLODES. poo poo PISSSS

Haha

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I really think you guys are blowing the intensity of the discussion taking place here way out of proportion lol

Admittedly the last time this discussion happened in the early FPS thread it got crazy. That's not happening here tho so :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

MGS4 cutscenes kick rear end and it has good gameplay.

The gameplay's all right. I like all the weapons and such, neat setpieces, the stealth works just as well as ever, most of the time. Terrible, terrible boss fights though. Raging Raven is horrible.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Raging Raven would have been better if I had not at the time just seen the gimmick done better in bad to most people JRPG Dawn of Mana.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I won't deny that MGS4 has the weakest boss fights in the series, but the tail end also has some f the best. It's a mixed bag.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I actually really liked some of the boss fights in MGS4, including Crying Wolf and the RAY fight

What I don't like about the game is how it ruins Ocelot for me

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
MG4 is peak Ocelotness

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ocelot is at his most Ocelot-ey in MGS4

AND NOW FOR MY FINAL TRICK I HAVE DECEIVED EVEN MYSELF

*kisses Snake*

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

I won't deny that MGS4 has the weakest boss fights in the series, but the tail end also has some f the best. It's a mixed bag.

At least it had bossfights

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Not fighting a team of colorful superpowered weirdos in MGS5 was such a letdown

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

MGS4 is the one I played the least, I didn't get very far at all.

I feel like I got everything I need out of Metal Gear from (Revengeance and) Metal Gear Scanlon.

e: same for persona 4 and the endurance run

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In Training posted:

The stealth chick that would turn into boxes was tight. The sniper fight was good. The Metal gear fight was good. The final fight was amazing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Not fighting a team of colorful superpowered weirdos in MGS5 was such a letdown

The skull unit is sick though

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They should have been the elite tropes commanded by a bunch of weirdos

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In Training posted:

The skull unit is sick though

MGSV boss fight, generic soldiers from MGS4. Wooo such a good game man, you have such great tastes!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jon Do posted:

MGS4 is the one I played the least, I didn't get very far at all.

I feel like I got everything I need out of Metal Gear from (Revengeance and) Metal Gear Scanlon.

e: same for persona 4 and the endurance run

Dan's unending love and enthusiasm for dumb metal gear bullshit gives me youth

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So between Duke Nukem Forever and Doom the lesson I'm taking away from all this is to do the opposite of whatever the internet thinks when it comes to revivals of old shooters.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

They should have been the elite tropes commanded by a bunch of weirdos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm ok with not having the troop of 5 bad guys. None would be better than MGS3 and V went for its own specific tone that worked well without a goofy collection of bad guys.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Guy Mann posted:

So between Duke Nukem Forever and Doom the lesson I'm taking away from all this is to do the opposite of whatever the internet thinks when it comes to revivals of old shooters.

Duke Nukem Forever was good, shut your mouth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In Training posted:

I'm ok with not having the troop of 5 bad guys. None would be better than MGS3 and V went for its own specific tone that worked well without a goofy collection of bad guys.

Every game except MGS5 has a "goofy collection of bad guys". Its like making a Devil May Cry where you only get to play as Dante 50% of the time!

• Locked thread