Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you kill Palin's human for quickly enough he doesn't transform into a wolfwere. I'm not sure on the exact triggers but eventually just using the force attack killed him without having to fight the greater wolfwere. Also none of the lou garous or whatever they're called had the regeneration of the greater wolfweres, which was the real issue with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Something weird happened when I finished the Planar Sphere. The Knights seemed pretty bummed that they couldn't return to Krynn, but when I said I had never heard of anything called a "Kender", they began weeping with joy like they had been freed from a torture dungeon and ran outside to kiss the ground. Anyone know what that was about? :confused:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Kavak posted:

Something weird happened when I finished the Planar Sphere. The Knights seemed pretty bummed that they couldn't return to Krynn, but when I said I had never heard of anything called a "Kender", they began weeping with joy like they had been freed from a torture dungeon and ran outside to kiss the ground. Anyone know what that was about? :confused:

I'm not sure if my answer is 100% correct, but a Kender is a type of kleptomaniac halfling with all the annoying characteristics you can think of. A world without kenders is probably a good thing.

(not endorsing genocide, though)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still hold the belief that the Kender are solely responsible for the Planescape changing and shutting down as the editions moved forward.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nycticeius posted:

I'm not sure if my answer is 100% correct, but a Kender is a type of kleptomaniac halfling with all the annoying characteristics you can think of. A world without kenders is probably a good thing.

(not endorsing genocide, though)

Kenders are infamous to fans of the Dragonlance setting for DnD, which is where the Knights are from. It's a joke based on how most players loathe Kenders.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I still hold the belief that the Kender are solely responsible for the Planescape changing and shutting down as the editions moved forward.

Planescape has been passed over for three editions and the Kender continue to exist rather than being fed to some cosmic horror like the Squats. There is no justice in Elfgames.

Cythereal posted:

Kenders are infamous to fans of the Dragonlance setting for DnD, which is where the Knights are from. It's a joke based on how most players loathe Kenders.

Bioware insulting the Kender would've made me forgive them for Mass Effect 3.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've just finished the second level of Watcher's Keep, but I was curious when you're supposed to do it in the timeline of the game.

I found another head for the Flail of Ages (what an awesome treasure!), but it looks like I can't get it attached until Throne of Bhaal? I'm still in Chapter 2 of Shadows, and I don't remember how ToB works; do I really need to wait until the expansion or can Cromwell attach it? I assume even if I could get back to the forge in the Keep, that wouldn't work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Curse my friend who pulled me back into modding. :argh: One long, complex Throne of Bhaal lovetalk written and coded with a bunch of class-specific dialogue later and Valerie is sitting at 15 epilogues altogether, 14 of them romance-related because I thought it would be neat to let the PC express an interest in going back to her stronghold from Shadows and take that into account in the epilogue.

Mercifully they tend to fall into two patterns: staying in Amn or not, even if a line or two changes to reflect the PC's class.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've just finished the second level of Watcher's Keep, but I was curious when you're supposed to do it in the timeline of the game.

I found another head for the Flail of Ages (what an awesome treasure!), but it looks like I can't get it attached until Throne of Bhaal? I'm still in Chapter 2 of Shadows, and I don't remember how ToB works; do I really need to wait until the expansion or can Cromwell attach it? I assume even if I could get back to the forge in the Keep, that wouldn't work.

There are mod options to give Cespenar and Cromwell each other's forging capabilities, but I don't know if they'd work on a game in progress.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cromwell can attach the Flail of Ages in fact I think he can do whatever Cespanar can do. Although, I have the game modded with the Gibberling Tweak pack. I'm actually facing a similar problem Cespanar isn't recognizing the Darkfire Bow and won't upgrade it .

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'll try it when I get back to town, I'm just playing EE with Dungeon Be Gone.

So how does ToB tie into BG2? Do you still get to wander around the world map and do BG2 quests? Or is it just Watcher's Keep that spans both? At least, I'm assuming the Keep spans both since otherwise the Helm of the Rock and the Flail head seem like weird treasures.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Only Watcher's Keep, sadly. You'll have to edit the final scene of Shadows of Amn and teleport out if you want to do quests after the main story is done.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Only Watcher's Keep is still available in ToB so make sure you have done all taht you want to do before going on to SoA's final battle (the point of no return is REALLY obvious in a typical Bioware sense).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Edit : Fixed it !!!

Holy poo poo, Demogorgon went down in like a few rounds. Energy Blades on Imoen and Jaheira then whirlwinds with Casomyr worked pretty drat well.

:catstare:

Who , who thought it was a good idea to have that little exchange between Keldorn and Imoen seriously. Oh good she was just stealing from him.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 12, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holy moly Siege just keeps going and going

I just cleared the bridge and rescued Daggerford, chapter 10 started? I was correct in my strategy of "Lets web and grease the doors to the camp and fireball people who come out :smuggo:" ezpz

it also helps I bought every single arrow of detonation BGEE offered me. I knew they'd come in handy, SoD sure likes to throw huge groups of enemies at you. Corwen and I are cleaning up.

is this like 50% of the way through? I've killed dragons and mindflayers and liches :pwn: this is really good stuff

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 13, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mortimer posted:

is this like 50% of the way through? I've killed dragons and mindflayers and liches :pwn: this is really good stuff

You'll be facing plenty of all those monsters in BG II, consider this training.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone know if something special happens if you steal the amulets for the lich in the dig site instead of killing the five dwarves for them? It's actually possible to pickpocket all of the amulets off of the dwarves and go collect your reward and get the lich as an ally without any bloodshed, but your journal says that you killed them and the dialogue implies the same. I was hoping it would lead into a subterfuge-type situation where you could lure the lich into lowering his guard or whatever, but it doesn't look like the game takes that into account.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Beat BG1 last night and I'm starting on SoD. My understanding is that I've been dropped into a tutorial dungeon for SoD and that my party will disperse and not everyone will be recruitable after that point. I have

CHARNAME
Dorn
Viconia
Safana
Edwin
Xan

Who of these isn't recruitable in SoD? Do I need to do anything with their gear (i.e., if someone's not coming I should take all their stuff) or does the game put it all somewhere for me?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

Beat BG1 last night and I'm starting on SoD. My understanding is that I've been dropped into a tutorial dungeon for SoD and that my party will disperse and not everyone will be recruitable after that point. I have

CHARNAME
Dorn
Viconia
Safana
Edwin
Xan

Who of these isn't recruitable in SoD? Do I need to do anything with their gear (i.e., if someone's not coming I should take all their stuff) or does the game put it all somewhere for me?

the game will either have their gear on them or be deposited in a chest in your room after the first dungeon. Their inventory will be in the chest regardless.

I'll spoil this just in case but guy I'm answering you should read this
I think Xan is the only one that isn't with you. Safana Edwin and Viconia you meet fairly early, Dorn is about halfway through the game. If you wanted to you could probably strip Dorn of his gear and give it to a temp character until you meet him again. Xan's gear will be in that chest though.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010

Mortimer posted:

the game will either have their gear on them or be deposited in a chest in your room after the first dungeon. Their inventory will be in the chest regardless.

I'll spoil this just in case but guy I'm answering you should read this
I think Xan is the only one that isn't with you. Safana Edwin and Viconia you meet fairly early, Dorn is about halfway through the game. If you wanted to you could probably strip Dorn of his gear and give it to a temp character until you meet him again. Xan's gear will be in that chest though.

Great, thanks. I'm assuming the game will hand me a useful tank or two in the interim? (my PC is a kensai i'm dual-classing to druid so my party is quite squishy on the whole)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pierre McGuire posted:

Great, thanks. I'm assuming the game will hand me a useful tank or two in the interim? (my PC is a kensai i'm dual-classing to druid so my party is quite squishy on the whole)

If you don't mind Good characters, there's Minsc and Khalid (I've never tried making Jaheira tank in BG1 but I imagine without the good high-level defensive spells she's pretty bad at it). If you do, well you're out of luck, Dorn's sub-100 HP halfway through is the only option you even get I think? Thankfully I had a Berserker PC who could take a beating and wisely decided not to dual during SoD myself.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

Not really! Minsc is the best it gets for a while. It's tuned a bit easier because of the lack of options at the beginning, but also because it's standalone so you could potentially not be importing a truckload of OP gear. I'd suggest taking the archer NPC, she's lawful good but man is she really REALLY good. She could probably solo the first part of the game with acid arrows tbh.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Cromwell can't reattach the flail head, at least without a mod in the EE version of BG2.

I decided to save level 3 of the Watcher's Keep until later on--it's really loving hard. I hate the 'arena' set up they do, but I suppose they wanted to avoid giving you any time to prepare, and it does make it quite challenging.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Woo Hoo! Just finished the series. 225 hours for both BG1 and BG2 with all expansions. That's a drat long time. I was playing a good character and a "good" pathway so It'll be interesting to see how the evil path works out. Obviously, I am going to take the path of becoming a God.

Can't decide though on what class I should go for. This past time I played a Dwarf Fighter / Thief. Maybe a Kensai / Mage this time around?

Not sure though.

Fighter/Cleric ??

Cleric's Level like loving crazy and dual wielding Maces and Warhammers sounds pretty awesomely fun.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Woo Hoo! Just finished the series. 225 hours for both BG1 and BG2 with all expansions. That's a drat long time. I was playing a good character and a "good" pathway so It'll be interesting to see how the evil path works out. Obviously, I am going to take the path of becoming a God.

Can't decide though on what class I should go for. This past time I played a Dwarf Fighter / Thief. Maybe a Kensai / Mage this time around?

Not sure though.

Fighter/Cleric ??

Cleric's Level like loving crazy and dual wielding Maces and Warhammers sounds pretty awesomely fun.

Halfling Fighter/Cleric would be pretty good. You get the shorty bonus to saves, then you can make the human leather and get even more bonuses to saves from that + magic resistance, then you pop armor of faith and off hand the defender of east haven and you're pretty unkillable. Spells can't touch you, nor melee.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I read somewhere that SoD has a 0.5M XP cap. Does that also mean that your dude gets imported to BG2 with half a million XP? Because that sounds pretty unbalanced.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
BG2 adjusts encounters based on your experience though. BG1 didn't do so until recently.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Smol posted:

I read somewhere that SoD has a 0.5M XP cap. Does that also mean that your dude gets imported to BG2 with half a million XP? Because that sounds pretty unbalanced.

Just install the remove XP cap with Gibberlings.

It's awesome.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, if SoD is designed that you get to 500k with a full party, wouoldn't that mean an uncapped solo character would be in HLA territory by the time BG2 starts? Can you actually have HLAs in SoD?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No, Baldur's Gate 1 does not have HLAs at all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

XP caps are removed for fun, not for balance.

^^^What happens if you import a 3,000,000 XP+ character from BG1 to BG2, then?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hollismason posted:

Not sure though.

Fighter/Cleric ??

For dual classing Kensai9 -> Mage is great, but it's just a powergamer thing, Berserker9 -> mage is a lot better imo, Archer9 -> Mage is much easier to take through BG1. Taking any of them to 13 before multiclassing is pure insanity and not worth it. Changing class at 7 is certainly worthwhile if you want your mage to come online a lot earlier and you don't lose much tbh.

Multiclass Gnome fighter/illusionist or elf f/m is a lot easier and less irritating than dual classing. Halfling fighter/cleric is great too tho.

Pure Sorcerer is also really great and a ton of fun. And a pure Monk is honestly really fun through the second half of BG2 and beyond, but pretty crap all through BG1.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 14, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the off chance anyone cares, I finished writing and coding Valerie's friendship and romance for both Shadows and Throne, and finally updated it on SHS with details about how it all works. I didn't want to post there until I had some solid work to present and a commitment to finishing the mod.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Washout posted:

For dual classing Kensai9 -> Mage is great, but it's just a powergamer thing, Berserker9 -> mage is a lot better imo, Archer9 -> Mage is much easier to take through BG1. Taking any of them to 13 before multiclassing is pure insanity and not worth it. Changing class at 7 is certainly worthwhile if you want your mage to come online a lot earlier and you don't lose much tbh.

Multiclass Gnome fighter/illusionist or elf f/m is a lot easier and less irritating than dual classing. Halfling fighter/cleric is great too tho.

Pure Sorcerer is also really great and a ton of fun. And a pure Monk is honestly really fun through the second half of BG2 and beyond, but pretty crap all through BG1.

Archer->Mage isn't a valid dual-class. If you install the Tweaks Anthology component that let's multi and dualed clerics use non-cleric weaponry you could try Archer->Cleric though. You could also open up super cheese by re-enabling the Ranger/Cleric spell bug and have an Archer than can cast all the Cleric and Druid spells he wants.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How does the spell Spell Immunity work in BG2EE?

Whenever I cast it, it just casts right away. I don't get to make a decision about what school of magic to be immune to, like the spell description says. And I doubt it gives protection to every school--it's hard to tell, but I don't think it's actually doing anything.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
At the very bottom of the screen you'll have a choice of schools to pick from.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Time for the Tales of the Sword Coast content of BG1 with my Mage/Thief (EEKeepered to Mage/Assassin). I can't wait to get this stuff done and move on to SoD though, since I've played BG1 so many times, it's become pretty easy. I haven't actually done much in BG2, so that should be a fresh experience too.

I wonder how many backstabs with the Staff of Striking it would take to down Sarevok.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I click the spell from the magic hot bar and I should see the schools somewhere at the bottom of the screen?

Do any other spells work that way? When I complete my click on the icon, it seems to just cast right away and the log just says Aerie cast Spell Immunity.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It isn't done casting, the first part is instantaneous and awaits your school pick. Then it casts for real, with an actual casting time and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Colgate posted:

Time for the Tales of the Sword Coast content of BG1 with my Mage/Thief (EEKeepered to Mage/Assassin). I can't wait to get this stuff done and move on to SoD though, since I've played BG1 so many times, it's become pretty easy. I haven't actually done much in BG2, so that should be a fresh experience too.

I wonder how many backstabs with the Staff of Striking it would take to down Sarevok.

Should really install SCS if you are familiar with all the systems already, it's pretty good and makes the game way harder but much more rewarding.