Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah it uses forecast.io, which also doesn't seem to understand thunderstorms.

I think the intent of the app is to warn you about when you're going to get wet when you're walking outside and nothing more.

Again, you still get the NWS warnings to supplement the main information. It's just seems weird to not have major weather events in the body of the app's weather details.

It's a problem I have with an app that uses forecast.io instead of something that codes thunderstorms. Like textual aviation weather reports/forecasts, or almost any other source.

You know you can switch from forecast.io, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hooah posted:

You know you can switch from forecast.io, right?

No I didn't.

Switching to other than the recommended data provider (forecast.io) does let the app display Thunderstorms in the body of the app. Thanks.

I've edited a couple recent posts to make sure I don't leave bunk information in the thread.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Dark Sky is pretty lacking compared to Weather Timeline. Also they seem to want $2.99 a year for features like "widgets". Not that that's bank-breaking, but I'd rather pay more up front and not have yet another recurring charge in my life, even such a small one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ohvee posted:

Wow, I lost hope that it would ever happen, but Dark Sky for android is out.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.darksky.darksky

I wonder how it compares to weather timeline at this point.

A subscription weather app lmao.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Ohvee posted:

Wow, I lost hope that it would ever happen, but Dark Sky for android is out.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.darksky.darksky

I wonder how it compares to weather timeline at this point.

It is bad because unlike the iOS version of the app (which is a one time fee) , the Dark Sky devs are charging Android users a subscription fee to use features that are standard on most other weather apps, such as weather alerts.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Yeah, this is super disappointing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ohvee posted:

Yeah, this is super disappointing.

Even that wouldn't bother me if Google Rewards monies could be used for subscriptions, but it's ineligible. Anyway, I'm giving it a try just to see what I think, but so far nothing is making me feel like ditching Weather Timeline...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Even that wouldn't bother me if Google Rewards monies could be used for subscriptions, but it's ineligible. Anyway, I'm giving it a try just to see what I think, but so far nothing is making me feel like ditching Weather Timeline...

Really Weather Timeline is so good I can't imagine why I'd entertain switching. It has everything I could imagine someone wanting in an aesthetically pleasing app. I'd consider it to be one of the best Android apps out there full stop.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I can't remember who mentioned Tapet but thanks. I thought this was stupid at first because the patterns seemed really generic and silly but now I really enjoy it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't remember who mentioned Tapet but thanks.

Same. Just bought premium. Really like it.

But I can't figure out how to get it to change the LG G4 lockscreen

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

LastInLine posted:

Really Weather Timeline is so good I can't imagine why I'd entertain switching. It has everything I could imagine someone wanting in an aesthetically pleasing app. I'd consider it to be one of the best Android apps out there full stop.

That's the issue. When Dark Sky came out on iOS it was doing something genuinely different. I'd have been all over it if it had come out in the last couple years. But with Weather Timeline and another apps using their API becoming established during that time, the need for it has diminished. And now when it does come out, they ask for a subscription to access what would be considered basic features on Android and others that don't really offer anything over other premium weather apps. Plus I now live in a location where their prediction stuff doesn't work that great, particularly in regards to when and whether it is snowing or raining.

Yesterday the devs already retweeted a 'this is why Android can't have nice things' comment due to people having some issues with that. It's like I get where you are coming from as a dev trying to move to a new platform, but when you are essentially late to it and ask us to pay more long term for the same features than the iOS users, and for what most of us already have, don't be surprised if there's a bit of a backlash.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Yesterday the devs already retweeted a 'this is why Android can't have nice things' comment due to people having some issues with that. It's like I get where you are coming from as a dev trying to move to a new platform, but when you are essentially late to it and ask us to pay more long term for the same features than the iOS users, and for what most of us already have, don't be surprised if there's a bit of a backlash.

Well that's not the attitude I want my app developers to have. I don't even totally understand what the draw of Dark Sky is. Some kind of vaguely defined crazy accurate weather prediction service (according to them). I did see something in the settings about using the phone's pressure sensor to send data to their service, so I guess that's part of their solution. It'd be nice if Weather Timeline could just poll that service for its info...

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Any recommendations for a dialer app? The stock one on my Xperia Z3 annoys me because when I get an incoming call you get a green icon and a red icon and you have to swipe a direction to accept or reject the call. I can never remember if I have to press the green one and swipe to red to accept, or tap red but swipe to green. It's even more annoying because I'm left handed and the default action isn't natural for me. I'd much rather have a green button to answer the call and a red button to reject, preferably the accept would be more prominent, so when the phone rings I don't have to pause and read it to see how I should swipe it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Red Warrior posted:

Yesterday the devs already retweeted a 'this is why Android can't have nice things' comment due to people having some issues with that.

What a bunch of poo poo heels

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Any recommendations for a dialer app? The stock one on my Xperia Z3 annoys me because when I get an incoming call you get a green icon and a red icon and you have to swipe a direction to accept or reject the call. I can never remember if I have to press the green one and swipe to red to accept, or tap red but swipe to green. It's even more annoying because I'm left handed and the default action isn't natural for me. I'd much rather have a green button to answer the call and a red button to reject, preferably the accept would be more prominent, so when the phone rings I don't have to pause and read it to see how I should swipe it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

That's the issue. When Dark Sky came out on iOS it was doing something genuinely different. I'd have been all over it if it had come out in the last couple years. But with Weather Timeline and another apps using their API becoming established during that time, the need for it has diminished. And now when it does come out, they ask for a subscription to access what would be considered basic features on Android and others that don't really offer anything over other premium weather apps. Plus I now live in a location where their prediction stuff doesn't work that great, particularly in regards to when and whether it is snowing or raining.

From what the Arcus developer said somewhere (Reddit? I think?), the forecast.io API is insanely expensive compared to any other weather provider and I can see where the Dark Sky devs are coming from when there's a ceiling to how many people are going to buy your app but there's an ongoing cost to having people use it. Their problem of course is realizing the economics after selling the iOS app and then hoping to correct it on the Android side despite the fact that everyone knows Android users are far more stingy and cost-averse. I'll admit that given the numbers the Arcus guy threw out, I feel a little guilty that Weather Timeline is so cheap but I guess if I cared that much I'd switch weather providers within the app.

brc64 posted:

Well that's not the attitude I want my app developers to have. I don't even totally understand what the draw of Dark Sky is. Some kind of vaguely defined crazy accurate weather prediction service (according to them). I did see something in the settings about using the phone's pressure sensor to send data to their service, so I guess that's part of their solution. It'd be nice if Weather Timeline could just poll that service for its info...

I don't know if you're aware, but that's what Weather Timeline already does. ( :thejoke: ?)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

This app update is supported on Nexus, Android One and Google Play Edition devices running Android Marshmallow and above.

Though it looks like I can now install it on my Moto X, which is new. Too bad I just broke that phone. :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if you're aware, but that's what Weather Timeline already does. ( :thejoke: ?)

Are you saying Dark Sky uses forecast.io? The impression I got was that they had their own proprietary "hyper accurate" system. If that's the case, it'd be cool if Weather Timeline could tap into that. If it's just forecast.io then psh, one less reason to care about Dark Sky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

Though it looks like I can now install it on my Moto X, which is new. Too bad I just broke that phone. :(

Can confirm.

Now I hilariously have two apps with the same name and same icon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I thought you could always install the Google Dialer on whatever device you wanted, but certain features only worked on Nexus devices.

edit: maybe I'm just remembering people sideloading it

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought you could always install the Google Dialer on whatever device you wanted, but certain features only worked on Nexus devices.

When I first looked at it, I wasn't able to install it from the Play store.

I can't install it on my Galaxy Nexus. It's a Nexus device, dammit! Though definitely not running Marshmallow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can confirm it fully works on the Moto X Pure too. Called myself from my office phone and it looked up and populated business info for caller ID.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Are you saying Dark Sky uses forecast.io? The impression I got was that they had their own proprietary "hyper accurate" system. If that's the case, it'd be cool if Weather Timeline could tap into that. If it's just forecast.io then psh, one less reason to care about Dark Sky.

Go to forecast.io and right at the bottom under apps is Dark Sky for iOS. Weather Timeline uses the same by default.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

:sigh:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

It's OK. PEGI 3 means: The content of games given this rating is considered suitable for all age groups. Some violence in a comical context (typically Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry cartoon-like forms of violence) is acceptable. The child should not be able to associate the character on the screen with real life characters, they should be totally fantasy. The game should not contain any sounds or pictures that are likely to scare or frighten young children. No bad language should be heard.

I think it's suitable for you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

brc64 posted:

I might be completely wrong but I got the impression that Dark Sky was developed alongside forecast.io, or it was at least the first weather app to use it. So they did have their own "hyper accurate" system, it's just that that was years ago and other apps have it now, so they're a bit late to the Android game

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I might be completely wrong but I got the impression that Dark Sky was developed alongside forecast.io, or it was at least the first weather app to use it. So they did have their own "hyper accurate" system, it's just that that was years ago and other apps have it now, so they're a bit late to the Android game

I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I have a question about Nova launcher, let me know if I should take it to another thread.
I just downloaded Nova and I set the grid to 5x5 with no padding for height/width, and the icons seem incredibly far apart. They definitely look smaller than stock, which is fine, but I'd rather see them all clustered together (if that makes sense?). I don't currently have the paid Nova but I'm not opposed to buying it if that will help.

While I'm here, what's a good lockscreen customization app? I have Beautiful Widgets paid, and back when I bought that (on my GNex) I had a full screen widget on my lockscreen, only now I can't recall how I did that. If the app will let me set independent wallpapers on my home and lock screens, even better.

Thanks guys!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Humerus posted:

I have a question about Nova launcher, let me know if I should take it to another thread.
I just downloaded Nova and I set the grid to 5x5 with no padding for height/width, and the icons seem incredibly far apart. They definitely look smaller than stock, which is fine, but I'd rather see them all clustered together (if that makes sense?). I don't currently have the paid Nova but I'm not opposed to buying it if that will help.

Icon Layout lets you change the icon size and the font size.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

While I'm here, what's a good lockscreen customization app? I have Beautiful Widgets paid, and back when I bought that (on my GNex) I had a full screen widget on my lockscreen, only now I can't recall how I did that. If the app will let me set independent wallpapers on my home and lock screens, even better.

Lockscreen widgets are gone and while I miss them too it's better to accept and move on rather than try to recreate the past because those lockscreen apps (Widget Locker is the only one I'm aware of, ironically by the same developer as Nova Launcher) are kind of janky these days.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Icon Layout lets you change the icon size and the font size.

I actually have labels turned off, which is probably why I feel like there's so much empty space now. I guess it's time to spend my survey :10bux: on Premium and futz with icon sizes.

LastInLine posted:

Lockscreen widgets are gone and while I miss them too it's better to accept and move on rather than try to recreate the past because those lockscreen apps (Widget Locker is the only one I'm aware of, ironically by the same developer as Nova Launcher) are kind of janky these days.

Such is life, I suppose. I actually downloaded that app, and it crashed every time I tried to change any option. Then I noticed that it hasn't been updated since 2013. Any chance on changing lockscreen wallpaper separately from home screen?

Thanks again.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
A short while ago Google News & Weather decided web links shouldn't be opened in the default web browser, instead opening in an internal Chrome-based renderer. Some stories can be opened with the default web browser with a few extra taps, some cant. Its mostly annoying because, holy poo poo, the vast majority of mobile web sites are pure garbage without ad-blocking. I've gone from using the app nearly every day to almost never.

So, any suggestions for apps that aggregate various news sources and open links in my default web browser? I dont mind spending a few $. The ideal solution would be like the old google news app. Don't care about weather functionality.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
At least with Google Now you can go to Settings -> Accounts & Privacy -> Open webpages in app and turn it off. Maybe that works for the old News and Weather too?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DemonMage posted:

At least with Google Now you can go to Settings -> Accounts & Privacy -> Open webpages in app and turn it off. Maybe that works for the old News and Weather too?

That doesn't fix News, but it does make Google itself more usable. Thanks!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Humerus posted:

Any chance on changing lockscreen wallpaper separately from home screen?
I'm not aware of anything but it'll be part of stock Android with N.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'd been using Swiftkey on a Galaxy S3 for a number of years, and finally switched to an S7 today. I was happy with it but felt like it had really started to drag on my phone after a few years. Should I be at all concerned w/ performance on the new phone, or was it mostly an artifact of the other phone's age? This might be a dumb question but I know I'm going to be looking for lag everytime Swiftkey pops up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Was an artifact of the old phone. I found SwiftKey started to lag on my S3 too but it's been flawless on my Nexus 6. You might also give the new Google keyboard a try if that's installable on the S7.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'd been using Swiftkey on a Galaxy S3 for a number of years, and finally switched to an S7 today. I was happy with it but felt like it had really started to drag on my phone after a few years. Should I be at all concerned w/ performance on the new phone, or was it mostly an artifact of the other phone's age? This might be a dumb question but I know I'm going to be looking for lag everytime Swiftkey pops up.
Install the official SwiftKey available through the Play Store. My girlfriend's S4 started having issues with Samsung's version of it but once I installed the real SwiftKey and she started using it all of her usability issues were resolved. Plus she now gets updates - Samsung's iteration is woefully out of date.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Cool, thanks guys. Using it now and it feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good index/flashcard app? Ideally one that will sync between a Chrome extension or Windows app via Google Drive or something similar? I guess something like Keep, but for index/flashcards. Preferably that allows graphics, but that's probably asking too much.