Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tim wont release it until we buy enough iphones to fix his quarterly earnings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
also remember skylake itself is all nice little bump but there may be some port fuckery in the next rmbp

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't know a ton of 18yos who care about port availability, but even if the new ones do some dumb poo poo I figure she can pick up an older model on the cheap

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ahmeni posted:

also remember skylake itself is all nice little bump but there may be some port fuckery in the next rmbp

if port and drive fuckery doesn't excite you by now, i pity you

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

I don't know a ton of 18yos who care about port availability

that's all i cared about when I was 18 iykwim

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my port is damaged

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i lost track of processors in the early 2000s and i couldnt be happier

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

unless this is an update to the physical design, i wouldn't expect too much port fuckery beyond changing the thunderbolt ports to usb3/thunderbolt ports.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just smdh at anyone who buys a laptop with a screen under 1920x1080, except maybe olds (but the resolution independence these days means retina is still better)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dislike button posted:

that's all i cared about when I was 18 iykwim

yea, there's this saying about "any port in a storm"

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

it's us

we are the olds now

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
kevin start a nonprofit that uses the insane power of the mac to do automated derivatives trading. $5k margin down and you can run a contract of a dece six and a half figgies in assets. buy like ten contracts and you're kinda like a millionaire. hope this helps dont get margin called

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

here's what you missed:
Intel: good
AMD: still bad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

kevin start a nonprofit that uses the insane power of the mac to do automated derivatives trading. $5k margin down and you can run a contract of a dece six and a half figgies in assets. buy like ten contracts and you're kinda like a millionaire. hope this helps dont get margin called

sure, i'll do it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

here's what you missed:
Intel: good
AMD: still bad

this is what i know about intel processors:
i7 good
i5 p. good?
i3 maybe bad?

i have no loving clue about the architecture names, skylakes and whatever

also the model numbers are a complete mystery to me. there is a letter and then numbers. are big numbers good?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

I don't know a ton of 18yos who care about port availability, but even if the new ones do some dumb poo poo I figure she can pick up an older model on the cheap

there is a lot of neckbeard bullshit positing that people will care about stuff that no one cares about, but the one single port really is a bit of a lovely deal for a lot of perfectly real non-advanced users. in fact, the importance of retina is probably comparatively overblow, the air is fine

Wheany posted:

i7 good
i5 p. good?
i3 maybe bad?

also the model numbers are a complete mystery to me. there is a letter and then numbers. are big numbers good?

nicely enough one really doesn't have to care that much about the models for the i7/i5/i3/m7/m5/m3, core count and clock speed pretty much tells all (though turbo/base clock makes it nastier). add in the battery life of the device and the gpu (bigger numbers better, with iris a bigger step up than the number suggests)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

i7 good
i5 p. good?
i3 maybe bad?

i3 is still good
bigger numbers better

it's p simple

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Snapchat A Titty posted:

same but late

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wheany posted:

i7 good
i5 p. good?
i3 maybe bad?

small numbers good, big numbers better

avoid ones that aren't i something (eg Celeron, atom)

that's it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is it crazy to think Apple invested $1 billion in a Chinese start-up in order to appease the Chinese government?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dunno about crazy but it is extremely stupid

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

poty posted:

its a fine laptop for idiots

u rang

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

i7 is a stupid waste of money in most situations

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Train posted:

dunno about crazy but it is extremely stupid

why?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if you're such a power user that you're doing photoshop/mudwerks/whatever or need poo poo to compile fast then step up to a xeon and get some ecc ram

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

can't most things be GPU-accelerated now?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

can't most things be GPU-accelerated now?

yes, but also: lol. vendors are terrible.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you're such a power user that you're doing photoshop/mudwerks/whatever or need poo poo to compile fast then step up to a xeon and get some ecc ram

I can't get Xeon in my Macbook Pro idiot!!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I can't get Xeon in my Macbook Pro idiot!!

yeah compile on poo poo that will bitflip, gr8 idea m8

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah compile on poo poo that will bitflip, gr8 idea m8

Yes? You can rent server time for release builds if you're worried about making bad binaries which are orders of magnitude more likely to be caused by your bad code.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i7 overkill most of the time
i5 v good
i3 good enough for most needs

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol if your work doesn't include a build server

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
not having a build server is like not having a bug tracker or offsite backups.

don't inject your desktop environment into release builds

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

our build server is the mac mini that nobody wants because it's too slow to be directly usable by a human

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

is it crazy to think Apple invested $1 billion in a Chinese start-up in order to appease the Chinese government?

no. foreign businesses operate under partnership with local businesses and their respective authorities, and china's economy's hosed atm

also idk if a multibillion dollar business qualifies as a startup anymore

it's probably good for apple if they want chinese map data and stuff tho. and maybe didi will drive apple cars like uber's gonna drive teslas

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Wheany posted:

i7 good
i5 p. good?
i3 maybe bad?

any i5 ever released with 8gb of ram and any gtx gpu and an ssd is forever going to be more than enough computer for anyone who isn't doing no joke renders all day every day or driving videogames on multiple displays

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

the gtx might even help with rendering if it's just adobe stuff

i3 internetting and words and games
i5 bigger games and graphics
i7 a needless upsell for most ppl

but for those who need i7, they know how good it feel when u see 24 cores pegged 100%, sound skipping, display jittering

it's like ur really working but its really the robot slave doing all the work and u can kick back

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i have multiple computer

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

zen death robot posted:

just get a real computer gently caress apple's poo poo if you want something better than a laptop for browsing the Internet

ban yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

• Locked thread