Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a pretty amazing one-two combo of ignorance and shittiness side by side, and the comment largely just boils down to Mearls desperately trying to gatehouse the hobby.
You're right it is pretty lovely. I just don't like to attribute malice where dumbassitude is entirely plausible.

I guess I've always seen Mearls as a clueless goof with no context awareness (so, a nerd) in way over his head as a voice in the hobby.

Not that it really excuses lovely behavior. And it's extra ironic because there were at least a few WotC credits in the guest list that I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

I'd wager that most people have him blocked for being an obnoxious rear end, as well as being an untalented hack. It's pretty difficult to call people out when you don't see their poo poo.
Yeah, I saw someone on G+ posting about how Punidtowski was giving her poo poo and her reaction was basically "I thought I blocked him".

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Slimnoid posted:

I'd wager that most people have him blocked for being an obnoxious rear end, as well as being an untalented hack. It's pretty difficult to call people out when you don't see their poo poo.
That makes sense. I don't really know much about how Twitter works.

It also makes me wonder why anyone would use such a wide open platform for any kind of professional PR stuff (oh wait, Mearls).

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Evil Mastermind posted:

And Ken Hite, Emily Care Boss, Anna Kreider, and Mark Diaz Truman. You know, people who are actually involved in the industry and working with the fans and trying to get the overall hobby to not be so loving regressive.

The full list, since that link I used before doesn't seem to want to work:
I know about a third of the names on that list, and given the company that they're in I feel like I should make an effort to find out about the others. I guess I'm better informed and more curious about the industry than Mike Mearls?

And he still has me blocked on twitter, even though my criticism of all that mess has been so mild that I feel bad for not saying more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Calling out those shitheads helps to make it a discussion about them. "Making any discussion about me" is literally the only thing they are skilled at doing, and it's a frequent distraction/derail technique from whatever is currently going on.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

They'd have to be games based around one shots or at least very short campaigns otherwise your customers would have no reason to buy more than one product. If you want to fun a big RPG in the vein D&D, WoD, etc you need a constant stream of content.

A fun, big RPG in the vein of D&D, WoD, etc. are not those small, specialized games with narrow scopes that a strategy of many single-sourcebook releases lends itself to. I'm thinking more like Night Witches or PATROL.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I saw someone on G+ posting about how Punidtowski was giving her poo poo and her reaction was basically "I thought I blocked him".

Blocking just keeps people from directly talking to you. It doesn't stop them from setting up a ghost account or just signing out to see your content, unless you have everything in a private circle. It's how all those raging buffoons continue to target and harass people even when they've been blocked from contacting them.

ImpactVector posted:

It also makes me wonder why anyone would use such a wide open platform for any kind of professional PR stuff (oh wait, Mearls).

It's immensely popular in a way that few others are, and it's very easy to talk with fans/have them contact you. It also helps you control your image in real-time, and that's one reason virtually every company and celebrity has an account (and many have people to run it for them).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, his statement boiled down to, essentially, "Oh, they're just giving a free badge and nothing else? I guess that's why no REAL developers are on there," while referring to a list that included Mike loving Pondsmith. In a comment that was talking to someone who was whining that the list was too "diverse."

Literally:

Some old gently caress: "Wow I dunno anyone on this list, must be 'too diverse' for me"
Mearls: "Yeah no real developers are interested because you only get a free badge."

It's a pretty amazing one-two combo of ignorance and shittiness side by side, and the comment largely just boils down to Mearls desperately trying to gatehouse the hobby.

I know Mearls wants D&D to return to some kind of non-existant glory days where Wizards ruled the world and fighters were their willing meatshields but is also 2e at the same time. But I didn't know he also wanted the entire culture of the industry to revert to the late 80s early 90s.

Halloween Jack posted:

Who on the D&D team is notable besides Mearls and Crawford at this point?

I think the in-house D&D team is only like, four people. The vast majority of their books are done by contract workers, and the fabled "fix to rangers" has been in a holding pattern for a year and a half because the guy who was going to work on it got Jury Duty and then only did half of it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

Calling out those shitheads helps to make it a discussion about them. "Making any discussion about me" is literally the only thing they are skilled at doing, and it's a frequent distraction/derail technique from whatever is currently going on.
Probably true, but when your public communication channel gets crammed full of them, it looks like tacit endorsement. So you really need a way to cull them from the feed people see when they look at your posts.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't do that for people you've blocked. But I'm sure that would have all kinds of other ramifications.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know anyone on that list except Ken Hite, but Hite himself is a zillion times better designer than Mearls could ever hope to be.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

If we're really going to talk about diversity, what comes to mind is that almost everyone on that list are white.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know anyone on that list except Ken Hite, but Hite himself is a zillion times better designer than Mearls could ever hope to be.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, most game designers are white. There are stories about people not believing Mike Pondsmith is who he is because he's black, so obviously he can't be a famous game designer. I'd love somebody to jump up and disprove me on that, but Pondsmith is literally the only one I know off the top of my head, which I find rather humbling to realize. Here's a list I found, though I know it isn't complete. And that's all aside from other ethnicities, of course. The fact that there are over ten women on that list feels like a big step forward as it is, to be blunt.

I'd say it's less of a problem for the panel and more a general issue the industry faces and probably will continue to face for awhile.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I always think of Hite as more a writer than a designer, but he's certainly one of the best at what he does nonetheless. RPGs could stand to differentiate "rules guys" from "setting guys", I feel, but that's a whole other tangent.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I also see Jessica Price and Wes Schneider on there, and you'd think he could be assed to at the very least know the more well-known names of one of his biggest competitors.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also Eddy Webb from Onyx Path, though I think he mostly runs their web stuff.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mors Rattus posted:

Also Eddy Webb from Onyx Path, though I think he mostly runs their web stuff.

The job he was born to do.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Lewis Pulsipher seems bound and determined to whine about being a relic. "Well, maybe they're real RPG developers, but GenCon isn't just about RPGs, therefore"

https://twitter.com/lewpuls/status/731221369346740224

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean, he got caught saying he doesn't recognize them because of diversity quotas.

I'm just glad social media at large is telling him and Mearls to gently caress off, albeit in far more polite tones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why an old guy mostly known for old tabletop games would complain about GenCon being focused on tabletop, I don't know. But there are video game developers and journalists on that list. Like Mike Pondsmith.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_strix/status/730831122452467712

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/730835879183319040

https://twitter.com/the_strix/status/730837602933211137

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/731203211005038594

He does at least seem to have realized he hosed up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think it's too late, and people have already called him out on his excuse there. You don't get to say "oh I meant they treat their guests badly" after calling them out as "unknowns."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

He does at least seem to have realized he hosed up.

Yeah, after enough people breathe down his neck for being so thick-headed.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think it's too late, and people have already called him out on his excuse there. You don't get to say "oh I meant they treat their guests badly" after calling them out as "unknowns."

This too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think it's pretty wild that the guy in charge of the biggest name in elfgaming is free to run his mouth off on social media like this and nobody at his parent company seems to be the slightest bit concerned, that's a pretty sweet gig.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
They would have to start caring about D&D as a brand first.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, I totally get it. He felt that the reason the list was packed with unknowns is because they don't provide a reasonable reward to attract all the good important people like himself. Maybe still hasn't quite understood that this isn't just insulting to the people who were invited (because it implies they're not insiders, and worse, implies they're willing to accept a paltry reward in return for a little publicity, e.g. they're cheap), it's also highlighting his ignorance of the current state of the industry (because he didn't recognize these people, when he should have).

So he knows he made a mistake, and is willing to apologize for it, but that does not change the fact that his mistake wasn't made from a mere slip of the tongue or an unintended statement that came out wrong or something; his statement revealed something ugly about his own ego and ignorance, and you can't just apologize for being ignorant and elitist, you need to stop being ignorant and elitist.

All that said: it's still one thin degree better than someone who just doubles down and insists they're right and all the people reacting are just crazy. Which, unfortunately, is a depressingly common incidence in the industry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They would have to start caring about D&D as a brand first.

They will once the blockbuster movie gets made just you wait guys, seriously.

Leperflesh posted:

No, I totally get it. He felt that the reason the list was packed with unknowns is because they don't provide a reasonable reward to attract all the good important people like himself. Maybe still hasn't quite understood that this isn't just insulting to the people who were invited (because it implies they're not insiders, and worse, implies they're willing to accept a paltry reward in return for a little publicity, e.g. they're cheap), it's also highlighting his ignorance of the current state of the industry (because he didn't recognize these people, when he should have).

So he knows he made a mistake, and is willing to apologize for it, but that does not change the fact that his mistake wasn't made from a mere slip of the tongue or an unintended statement that came out wrong or something; his statement revealed something ugly about his own ego and ignorance, and you can't just apologize for being ignorant and elitist, you need to stop being ignorant and elitist.

All that said: it's still one thin degree better than someone who just doubles down and insists they're right and all the people reacting are just crazy. Which, unfortunately, is a depressingly common incidence in the industry.

Mearls is the kind of guy who lives, plays, and breathes D&D. I'd not be surprised if he didn't know about any of these people because any game that isn't D&D is alien to him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

"Look at all these no-name unknowns like Kenneth Hite, credited consultant for Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition."
- Mike Mearls

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I really wish that someone at Hasbro would realize that just because someone is really enthusiastic about your product doesn't mean that he should be put in charge of managing it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

They will once the blockbuster movie gets made just you wait guys, seriously.

Mearls is the kind of guy who lives, plays, and breathes D&D. I'd not be surprised if he didn't know about any of these people because any game that isn't D&D is alien to him.

I think it's more likely, or at least related, that even in the everyone knows everybody professional RPG writer community that nobody feels like palling around with Mearls. He doesn't seem like a guy who's made a ton of effort to reach out and make contacts, and after the way he threw Monte Cook under the bus I doubt anyone else is eager to reach out to him. He probably does exist in a bubble of sorts but I don't think it's because he's a D&D fanboy. This Twitter exchange just lends credence to my theory.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I think it's more likely, or at least related, that even in the everyone knows everybody professional RPG writer community that nobody feels like palling around with Mearls. He doesn't seem like a guy who's made a ton of effort to reach out and make contacts, and after the way he threw Monte Cook under the bus I doubt anyone else is eager to reach out to him. He probably does exist in a bubble of sorts but I don't think it's because he's a D&D fanboy. This Twitter exchange just lends credence to my theory.

You're probably closer to the truth than I am. Mearls certainly didn't make any friends by hiring those two people as consultants, that's for sure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I remember back when Next was still in "open playtest" and someone on Twitter said to Mearls "huh, there are a lot of people on RPGnet who don't seem to like what they're seeing, lot of arguments" and Mearls' response was something along the lines of "yeah, I've basically written off RPGnet, screw those guys."

Now I don't think anyone should be obligated to try to placate every person on the internet with an opinion on your work, nor do I think that RPGnet is some bastion of enlightened elf game critiques that every right thinking designer should breathlessly heed, but like Leperflesh said it takes a certain blend of pricked ego and ignorance to come out and slag off one of the biggest online communities pertaining to your particular hobby-industry because they said some mean things about your baby. There were a dozen more professional ways he could have handled that but chose not to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My theory is that Mearls has bought the Games Workshop model where D&D is the Hobby. Yeah there's a lot of wanna-be pretenders out there trying to ape D&D, but they're not Real D&D and never will be. He took the 4e backlash extremely personally, and it broke him. The TRUE D&D people, the only ones who matter - the grogs and Old-Schoolers, were telling him he did bad. Consequentially, Next's "playtest" cycle was a mix of high-profile concessions to their demands and nostalgia showboating.

I don't think he recognizes that he's part of a greater RPG community or industry. When he spent a year loving off researching for Next, he exclusively played old editions of D&D. They didn't play other games, didn't explorer how other companies and designers had addressed design issues, didn't consult with boardgame design or CCG design. The earliest playtest documents were cobbled together from cut-and-pasted excerpts of previous editions. He doesn't know how design works, he doesn't know how RPGs work, he doesn't even know how D&D works. (Ask your DM!) He's incredibly naive, has a narrow view of the hobby, and can't take criticism.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
There's nothing necessarily wrong about not caring about the complaints people have about your game. It does conflict with the whole open playtest thing they were doing. And you shouldn't write off a whole group of people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Black Hat Matt did something similar with beast, anyone who was critiquing his game was obviously a Gamergater because they were sympathising with the excessively thinly veiled Gater analogues rather than the poor oppressed minorities that feed on suffering. He finally changed it once the backlash from Kickstarter Backers reached critical mass.

Unless you read the DM's chapter in which case there's a sidebar that says he was kidding before and Beasts are actually born the way they are and it's okay to hate Heroes because they're scum.

I know I keep harping on it but it really pisses me off how thinly veiled his contempt is for the consumers. And how token the effort to placate them was.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 14, 2016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kai Tave posted:

I remember back when Next was still in "open playtest" and someone on Twitter said to Mearls "huh, there are a lot of people on RPGnet who don't seem to like what they're seeing, lot of arguments" and Mearls' response was something along the lines of "yeah, I've basically written off RPGnet, screw those guys."

I remember the first time I ran across Mike Mearls - as a commenter on RPGnet (et al) who didn't like what he was seeing with the upcoming 3E and had lots of arguments about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always think of Hite as more a writer than a designer, but he's certainly one of the best at what he does nonetheless. RPGs could stand to differentiate "rules guys" from "setting guys", I feel, but that's a whole other tangent.

I agree. For example, I think Monte Cook would have a much better relative standing as a "setting guy" than as a "rules guy".

moths posted:

"Look at all these no-name unknowns like Kenneth Hite, credited consultant for Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition."
- Mike Mearls

Maybe they need to bring in Robin Laws for yet another DMG to show people how the game should be run. Again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

There's nothing necessarily wrong about not caring about the complaints people have about your game. It does conflict with the whole open playtest thing they were doing. And you shouldn't write off a whole group of people.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with deciding you don't want to listen to X forum, but there's something pretty dumb about the Head of D&D deciding to air his personal grievances with one of the biggest RPG-related websites around for the sole reason that people there were too critical of his darling, especially when he then turned around and decided to plant his flag on another RPG site (ENworld) so he could be surrounded by an echo chamber, all the while touting this "open play test" as a way to make your opinions heard (as long as they don't hurt Mike Mearls' feelings that is).

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Like many people, I find the whole "support FLGS y/n" debate perplexing and weird because I don't have a FLGS.

Or you have some FLGS only they are awful. Unfriendly staff, zero play space buy something and get out... if I wanted that I would just buy it off amazon, stock only what the store owner likes, only stocks magic and nothing else is stocked, the owner smells like a mixture of bugles and feet fungus etc etc etc. My town has not had a FLGS that stayed in business for more than 3 years in almost 15 years now despite lots of stores trying to stay in business.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I support my FLGS when I can but for me "Local" is 60 miles away, and they're usually pretty sparse on stocking PrivPress books since they're small and Warmahordes isn't as big in our community. So I usually end up getting them online somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I support my LGS mostly because I get an employee discount and everything is better at slightly over cost

• Locked thread