Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm still struggling through those Karsa chapters at the start of House of Chains and they still suck rear end. It's still a lot of him being an awesome warrior killing six people with one blow and catching harpoons with a single hands. He was chained and broken for a while which was cool and good but now he is on a ship and clearly has superpowers as he is completely recovered from being chained down for literally weeks within like a day or so. I'm sure him having those superpowers will be an important plot point five books from now but for now he is still the worst.

i don't think you have to wait long for the super powers to come into play and he improves massively throughout he book

also he's like an 8 foot tall monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Did anyone actually like Karsa the first time they read HoC?

He's one of my favorites now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think anyone likes the first quarter or whatever of HoC

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still don't like him. That being said, the first part of HoC is much better once you realize just how much contempt the actually smart people around (Pahlk and Bairoth, mostly) treat him with. He's a joke even in his rear end-backwards community and it seeps even through his blissfully unaware point of view.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
His father vs grandfather is great too

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mischief posted:

:allears:

The Wickans are still the most impressive storyline to me in the whole series. One of the few books to really emotionally impact me.

The wickans are the best. gently caress Pormqual. He better get what's coming to him.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RC Cola posted:

The wickans are the best. gently caress Pormqual. He better get what's coming to him.

loving moron. Good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm still dying to know what happens to Mallick Rel.

Though I guess it doesn't matter too much considering the two primary Malazan Armies both go rogue and leave the empire. However I wish Cotillion and Shadowthrone had actually let the hounds of shadow tear him apart.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm still dying to know what happens to Mallick Rel.

Though I guess it doesn't matter too much considering the two primary Malazan Armies both go rogue and leave the empire. However I wish Cotillion and Shadowthrone had actually let the hounds of shadow tear him apart.

You ever read RotCG? The fucker becomes Emperor of the Malazan Empire.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I the only huge Malazan fan struggling with FoD?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

FoD was ok for me but I'm 1/5 of the way through FoL and it is a hard (but enjoyable) slog. Like the first time I read TTH.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Jigger posted:

Which is a state he remains in by OST. I rather suspect we won't find out more about that until the Karsa books roll in.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm really glad those dogs lived.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

I'm really glad those dogs lived.

I love this post.

RC Cola posted:

loving moron. Good.

This one too. [DG]I hated that motherfucker and I almost cheered when he died, until things got a lot worse. RIP Duiker :(

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 12, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Did anyone actually like Karsa the first time they read HoC?

He's one of my favorites now.

You're not supposed to like Karsa in House of Chains.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I finished Part 2 of TtH and figured I'd take a break by reading the Tor summary of RotCG.
Really? Laseen is dead? That's so... Something. I don't even know. I feel like there should be more indication of this in TtH - some mention somewhere, anywhere. As it stands, it feels completely inconsequential and fanfictiony.

Edit:

Lord Jigger posted:

I guess that explains this

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 12, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

As it stands, it feels completely inconsequential and fanfictiony.

It's an ICE book. From what I've heard, they're all that way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They really feel that way although they shouldn't since apparently ICE played a huge part in the creation of the setting. I guess it's just that the difference in writing quality is so huge.
On that note, I'm kinda glad ICE is writing prequels now. It's rather absurd given it's a fantasy setting but I'd rather have important characters killed off in meaningful ways - he can't do much harm in the past.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

They really feel that way although they shouldn't since apparently ICE played a huge part in the creation of the setting. I guess it's just that the difference in writing quality is so huge.

Well, yeah. Worldbuilding ability and writing quality aren't linked at all. Simon R Green is my favorite example of those, though goon favorite Brandon Sanderson is another strong contender.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

he can't do much harm in the past.

Now I know why they call you 'The First Sword' tee-hee :bigtran:

Or whatever that D-guys title was.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

Well, yeah. Worldbuilding ability and writing quality aren't linked at all. Simon R Green is my favorite example of those, though goon favorite Brandon Sanderson is another strong contender.

Bingo. I'd also give some of that credit to Weis & Hickman. Their stories were decent, don't get me wrong, but their world building skills were off the charts and the stories never lived up to their capacity. The best example is probably the Death Gate Cycle.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I still love the worldbuilding of Daughter/servant/mistress of the empire by Janny Wurts.

My copies are beat to poo poo from reading and rereading as a kid.... and last month.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jula and Amby might be my favourite new comic relief characters. Swamp Law is sacred.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

Jula and Amby might be my favourite new comic relief characters. Swamp Law is sacred.

but...but... Tehol and Bugg??

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Fenrir posted:

but...but... Tehol and Bugg??

That's why they're my favourite new ones! Tehol and Bugg have been in two books, so they aren't new anymore.
I have enough love to go around.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Awwww... :allears:

[series, don't click this if you haven't finished TCG]

(just kidding you can click it) awwwww... :allears:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I like captain paran. I'm in MOI. is he part hound now or something?
I find it a little crazy thinking about the time line of the series. Hundreds of thousands of years. Also does every book end with a big bad?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I like captain paran. I'm in MOI. is he part hound now or something?
I find it a little crazy thinking about the time line of the series. Hundreds of thousands of years. Also does every book end with a big bad?

Even looking at where you are in the story, I wouldn't say that Deadhouse Gates had a singular big bad.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Elyv posted:

Even looking at where you are in the story, I wouldn't say that Deadhouse Gates had a singular big bad.

I guess I mean more of this huge unstoppable force or ridiculously strong character that everyone has to team up on to beat

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Not really. Most books end up with a convergence of power (and plot threads).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there's never really one singular big bad. I mean, sometimes you might think there's one, but in the Erikson universe, there's always a bigger badder and none of them are above eating a cusser or three.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, there's never really one singular big bad. I mean, sometimes you might think there's one, but in the Erikson universe, there's always a bigger badder and none of them are above eating a cusser or three.

loving dragons

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I guess I mean more of this huge unstoppable force or ridiculously strong character that everyone has to team up on to beat

I don't even remember that in dhg, as I remember it the 3 main plot lines ended up in different places.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
One of things I really enjoy about the books so far is that the endings are always the cumulation of all the major plot stands, and it is never just arbitrarily resolved.

Except maybe the [GotM]Azath House growing out of nowhere but that's more down to being new to the series. On a reread it probably makes perfect sense.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm rereading Forge before I finally get to Fall and the irony is exquisite. My favorite two bits so far: Silchas and Scara Bandaris joking about how they'll die side by side and a tapestry that shows the first Tiste heroes slaying the manifestation of chaos - a many-headed dragon - being dismissed as a creation myth, rather like the events of Forge itself by readers of the main series.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

So Fall of Light, re: Tiste society The Azathanai repeatedly go on about how they've create mortal races over and over again, and they can never seem to get it right. Tiste society seems really hosed up, and cold and distant, and Orfantal made it all make sense. "Why aren't Tiste children allowed to know their mothers?" Other than Anomander, Andarist, and Silchas, the Tiste don't have families. Draconus built a society, and made Mother Dark into every Tiste's mother, with the idea that it would make all of the Tiste into a big family. Without really understanding that most families don't actually get along very well. It's really too bad that Draconus and Mother Dark don't have POV portions.

But the big Azathanai mystery that nobody seems ready to cop to is, who created the Jaghut? And is Icarium an Azathanai? Raest mentions the wonder of beginning anew, cleansed of all history, and where every crime is escaped. That sounds exactly like Icarium to me - it makes it sound like his amnesia is self-inflicted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Fall yet, but I thought RG made it explicit that Icarium is half Jaghut/half Toblakai? Mind you, the Jaghut have been known to gently caress with other races' bloodlines...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well... [HoC] It's mentioned by the jaghut woman when Karsa 'rescues' her that a jhag such as Icarium is the spawn of Jaghut and Toblakai. I think it's in House of Chains - it's while Karsa is on his trip to the Odhan to find his horse.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

All true about Icarium, but who the hell really knows? The characters who said those quotes in the main series heard the same legends as everyone else. They aren't the kind of narrators who even could give accurate information. And Azathanai can change their bodies to look like pretty much anything. Skillen Droe is an Azathanai in the form of a K'Chain Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

All true about Icarium, but who the hell really knows? The characters who said those quotes in the main series heard the same legends as everyone else.

[HoC to possibly TtH?] That's why I think the jaghut woman is the most convincing in regard to jhag, since the way she says it hints at the possibility that she's had jhag children before. There's not really a "legend" involved since she apparently knew firsthand. We also know for sure that Gothos is his father. While it's never explicitly stated that Icarium's mother is a toblakai, it's suggested well enough to be believable.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 13, 2016