Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Springfield Fatts posted:

Has anyone had any experience ordering from CinC? It seems to be taking a long time for my order to show up and I'm getting zero response from these dudes.

Took around 3 weeks for my last order, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tomdidiot posted:

It pains my soul to see inaccurate miniatures being used.
Then avert your eyes, because I posted the AAR for the second mission. I'm making progress, though - at least this time I have appropriate minis for the Germans.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'm in full on ACW grog mode. Got Glory, Hallelujah, Sp2, lots of minis on order, reading books... My favorite period is back

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Had another nice big Black Powder game at 6mm, about a division each. It was good fun, although I (as the British) bodged my deployment such that I had a whole brigade that never even got into the game. That plus exposing some flanks to French heavy cavalry meant I lost pretty handily, but I'm really starting to get a feel for the game and warm up to how to use my rifles in support and so on and so forth. We also completely didn't know about / forgot the rule about limbered artillery getting a free move even on order failure, so I had some cannons resolutely refusing to do anything at all most of the game, but that wouldn't have been a game changer a'tall.

Ugh, that clusterfuck on my left flank. Embarrassing.

Mistakes... were made.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

muggins posted:

I'm in full on ACW grog mode. Got Glory, Hallelujah, Sp2, lots of minis on order, reading books... My favorite period is back

It's not a complete relapse without some Ken Burns Civil War in there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Paintbrush in one hand, Battle Cry of Freedom in the other

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Dirt Worshipper posted:

It's not a complete relapse without some Ken Burns Civil War in there.

Haha, yeasts. Reading primary sources right now about the war in the West. Thinking about modeling the Orphan Brigade and a western Fed Brigade because my relatives were in them

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Speaking of primary sources...

After my paternal grandfather passed, my grandmother would occasionally mention something about "some old Civil War books" that grandpa wanted me to have. Always followed by, "oh, but I forgot to bring them. I'll try to remember next time." OK, cool, whatever. She didn't ascribe much importance to them, so I never followed up. This poo poo went on for like a decade, with her bringing it up every once in a while.

Finally at a family Thanksgiving two years ago, she hands me a non-descript shoe-box that contains this:

A better look at the spine:

Yes, that is in fact an original printing of both volumes of John C. S. Abbot's "History of the Civil War in America." Volume I was penned in late 1862 and published in 1863 - while the war was still going on.

Jesus, grandma, you didn't tell me that grandpa left me godsdamned TREASURE!!!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ilor posted:

After my paternal grandfather passed, my grandmother would occasionally mention something about "some old Civil War books" that grandpa wanted me to have. Always followed by, "oh, but I forgot to bring them. I'll try to remember next time." OK, cool, whatever. She didn't ascribe much importance to them, so I never followed up. This poo poo went on for like a decade, with her bringing it up every once in a while.

Finally at a family Thanksgiving two years ago, she hands me a non-descript shoe-box that contains this:

Yes, that is in fact an original printing of both volumes of John C. S. Abbot's "History of the Civil War in America." Volume I was penned in late 1862 and published in 1863 - while the war was still going on.

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Wow dude, that is really amazing. Apparently a distant family cousin has a chest full of letters written by a relative who was a captain in the 22nd Kentucky Infantry US... My mom got to see them this year. Relative is pretty old so she's donating them to a university, which is cool but I would just love one letter to have =(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My grandfather spent WW2 sitting in the forests bordering Norway, in case Germany would try to grab all of Scandinavia. Never heard of any keepsakes from that time, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

My grandfather spent WW2 sitting in the forests bordering Norway, in case Germany would try to grab all of Scandinavia. Never heard of any keepsakes from that time, though.

The regiment I reenact ended up in Norway after being practically destroyed at Oosterbeek.

I know that's not even remotely the same thing, but I like mentioning it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Colonial Air Force posted:

The regiment I reenact ended up in Norway after being practically destroyed at Oosterbeek.

I know that's not even remotely the same thing, but I like mentioning it.

Borders? Staffs? KOSBies or one of the Para ones?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

tomdidiot posted:

Borders? Staffs? KOSBies or one of the Para ones?

South Staffs, 2nd Bn 1st Airlanding Bgde

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Giant Ethicist posted:

Had another nice big Black Powder game at 6mm, about a division each.

Very nice AAR. Was the map anywhere in particular or just some tactically interesting European countryside?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

You should definitely post this to the MilHist thread.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Where is that? I've never been out of tg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

Where is that? I've never been out of tg

I have such sights to show you

Also the Airpower thread is pretty good

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

You should definitely post this to the MilHist thread.
a bunch of us also read here

to the guy who wanted to know about swapping 30yw figures for English Civil War, clothing fads did change from the 16teens, 20s, 30s, and 40s, and you can PM me if you have detailed questions

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

This is my way of subtly recruiting :ssh:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is my way of subtly recruiting :ssh:

And I fell for it. Dammit! :argh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HEY GAL posted:

to the guy who wanted to know about swapping 30yw figures for English Civil War, clothing fads did change from the 16teens, 20s, 30s, and 40s, and you can PM me if you have detailed questions

It's pretty amazing how quickly fashion changes. It seems normal for us today to look at things in 7-12 year blocks, and think about the past as moving slower, but it really changed just as fast (and in some cases, faster).

E: If you want to get really spergy, consider this:

When I went to a workshop to make a 1770s cloak, they told us that most of the extant examples in America were red wool. By the mid 1780s, no one was wearing red anything anymore, because of the war and Redcoats. Cloaks are made of pretty much one large piece of cloth, so it's easy to turn it in to something else when it gets a bit worn on the edges, but no one wanted to turn a red cloak in to anything else.

So we have a lot of red examples still surviving, and you should never paint Federalist-era American citizens in red.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there was a ~five year period where guys were doing this with the laces that held their pants and jackets together:

and then they stopped

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I didn't notice when posting earlier, but a teeeny envelope arrived today containing my dudes from the Skirmish Sangin kickstarter way back when. They're some really badass looking little D-boys.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I played my first game of Black Powder today. Bits vs French in Spain. We had lots of fun. The most confusion came from failing orders - it seemed really punitive that whole brigades just did nothing because you rolled an 8.

I think it'd be really cool with alternating activations, seems like it could work fine. Looking forward to acw. Our gm halved all ranges for some reason, think I'll keep it at full.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

I played my first game of Black Powder today. Bits vs French in Spain. We had lots of fun. The most confusion came from failing orders - it seemed really punitive that whole brigades just did nothing because you rolled an 8.

I think it'd be really cool with alternating activations, seems like it could work fine. Looking forward to acw. Our gm halved all ranges for some reason, think I'll keep it at full.

We found that disorder is more of a random "you're hosed" than failing orders (and ended up houseruling it to just eat the first move of an order instead of totally losing the ability to receive orders)- the orders mechanic is interesting because it really makes you prioritize what you need to do each turn, and you should always save your army commander until all the brigades are done rolling so you get a second shot to make a critical activation. We also tend to give almost every commander on the battlefield a staff rating of 9 and only have 1 or 2 8's on each side to represent a lovely commander. There are enough times you're rolling with a negative modifier to your orders that having a lot of officers with a staff rating less than 9 sort of robs you of the opportunity to actually play a game.

Alternating activations might work but it seems like it would get complicated by how disproportionately powerful an army commander activation would be compared to a brigade commander. Try it and report back please!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

We have a house rule that Disorder is 6+ followed by 4+. Works fine.

I love BP but it took me a few games to realise that some units might not get to do anything the whole game.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BeigeJacket posted:

I love BP but it took me a few games to realise that some units might not get to do anything the whole game.
See, this is where I think Sharp Practice 2 wins out. You might get unlucky with your draws and have units that don't do anything in a particular turn, but rarely will you have a unit that doesn't do anything all game. And if you do end up with that situation, it's because you chose to spend your activations/abilities on other units, not because you can't roll over an 8 on 2D6.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Ilor posted:

See, this is where I think Sharp Practice 2 wins out. You might get unlucky with your draws and have units that don't do anything in a particular turn, but rarely will you have a unit that doesn't do anything all game. And if you do end up with that situation, it's because you chose to spend your activations/abilities on other units, not because you can't roll over an 8 on 2D6.

They are modelling different things. SP is a small skirmish force were Black Powder is whole divisions trying to be coordinated. Seems like apples to oranges.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sure, but there's no reason the same kind of mechanics couldn't be scaled appropriately.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I've also never had a BP game where a regiment was totally useless the whole time. There have certainly been turns where a wing of my army decided to just take a break and not do anything, but over the course of the game everything ends up stuck in or working towards an objective or something. Do people here play with a default staff rating of 8 or something?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Cold War Commander has an initiative mechanic where units can still activate at the end of the turn to either fire at the closest enemy within their "initiative range" or continue moving in the same direction they did last turn. Maybe that would be helpful?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I've also never had a BP game where a regiment was totally useless the whole time. There have certainly been turns where a wing of my army decided to just take a break and not do anything, but over the course of the game everything ends up stuck in or working towards an objective or something. Do people here play with a default staff rating of 8 or something?

We played with mostly 7s. I actually blundered my very first roll on a brigade roll. Managed to get a charge forward three times out of it though, lol.

Some great ideas in here - will definitely be using them.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

We played with mostly 7s.

:gonk:

Found your problem right there. The sweet spot is really 9- high enough that your troops are very reliable if they're away from the enemy and the commander is near, but not a guarantee of success by any means. Basically "competent 19th century leader." Staff of 8 is "green or mediocre leader," 10 is "Napoleon, Grant, Sherman or Lee" and 7 is "probably drunk."

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Where do people get their WW2 soviet great-coat 28mm infantry from these days? I'm not a big fan of the padded uniforms.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think Wargames Factory?

But the telegroika was far more common.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I think Wargames Factory?

But the telegroika was far more common.

Wargames Factory apparently shut down.

And the telegroika might have been more common. But it also looks like strips of turd.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wargames Factory started exclusively distributing through their competitor Warlord Games last year.

Warlord still isn't selling their stuff. It's incredibly frustrating, especially since their AWI figures are gorgeous and SP2 just happened.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

So my gaming club is starting a Bolt Action escalation league campaign set in North Africa and then transitioning to Sicily and Italy. I've decided to do a ~~Historically Accurate~~ US Armored Infantry platoon - specifically one from the 6th Armored Infantry Regiment "Regulars" of the 1st Armored Division "Old Ironsides".

I've been researching TO&Es and camoflauge patterns for hours. Incidentally, does anyone know the correct shade of green for an M3 Halftrack in September 1942? PLEASE SEND HELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

moths posted:

Wargames Factory started exclusively distributing through their competitor Warlord Games last year.

Warlord still isn't selling their stuff. It's incredibly frustrating, especially since their AWI figures are gorgeous and SP2 just happened.

Warlord have been selling the AWI range for a while now.