Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Monster Pulse: so we know what the occasionally-mentioned "Project Chakra" was, and it doesn't seem as bad as Lulenski's reactions of general horror and disgust made it out to be...

...until you realize she was probably looking at what happened when you tried to use it without "safely knitting the tissue back together."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Dr Christmas posted:

It was called Ballad. The websites it was hosted on seem to have been down for quite a while.
http://moderntales.com/?name=ballad
The creator's, Deadmouse, website seems to be down too.
http://www.deadmouse.net

Thank you, I was nowhere close to remembering that name.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love that there are some webcomics that live long enough that they have to rebrand themselves to move with the times. First El Goonish Shive has to contrive a video rental store into internet movie reviews, and now Between Failures is making one of its characters switch from wanting to make indie movies to becoming an LP superstar.

And in other "Man this is too old" news, I gave Sluggy Freelance another check, and while Pete Abrams still says he's going to stop eventually, he may be grooming an heir.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dr McNinja's kinda dark this week, huh.

I hope this ends with another improbable explanation like all those children who somehow regrew their heads after they exploded, but probably not.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tollymain posted:

it only gets referred to every few months at most it's not something that happens on every page :v:
I see them as tributes, now, much like EVERY MORNING I {adlib} A {something} loss edits and goatse tributes.

Gunnerkrigg-wise, I miss the dickbutt edits.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love that there are some webcomics that live long enough that they have to rebrand themselves to move with the times. First El Goonish Shive has to contrive a video rental store into internet movie reviews, and now Between Failures is making one of its characters switch from wanting to make indie movies to becoming an LP superstar.

And in other "Man this is too old" news, I gave Sluggy Freelance another check, and while Pete Abrams still says he's going to stop eventually, he may be grooming an heir.

Zebra Girl completely gave up on the tech support plot angle in like 2003.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Carrasco posted:

Dr McNinja's kinda dark this week, huh.

I hope this ends with another improbable explanation like all those children who somehow regrew their heads after they exploded, but probably not.

Eh, as long as pirates are involved Dan McNinja will solve the problem before Doc even gets to it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Eh, as long as pirates are involved Dan McNinja will solve the problem before Doc even gets to it.

I don't think pirates are involved in the dying lumberjack kid room though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carrasco posted:

I don't think pirates are involved in the dying lumberjack kid room though.

The kid probably downloaded some mp3s

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

wasn't it supposed to end this year

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And in other "Man this is too old" news, I gave Sluggy Freelance another check

I misread this at first, and did an actual double-take.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been saying for years that Sluggy Freelance would become the first legacy webcomic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"Son, today is a rite of passage. I'm passing down my webcomic to you, as my father did, and his father before him."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alaois posted:

"Son, today is a rite of passage. I'm passing down my webcomic to you, as my father did, and his father before him."
In 2193, violent talking animals become popular again and the comic sees a real resurgence.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

FactsAreUseless posted:

In 2193, violent talking animals become popular again and the comic sees a real resurgence.

Foamy the Squirrel will be their Hamlet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why doesn't the indie movie angle work anymore? Those are still totally a thing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pick posted:

Zebra Girl completely gave up on the tech support plot angle in like 2003.

But we did get Magical internet so I consider it a win-win.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

But we did get Magical internet so I consider it a win-win.

pity that ended so soon

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Everytime I think about EGS, I wonder why I'm still reading it and I still don't know the answer. It just keeps going and not in any particulary interesting direction

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nerdman42 posted:

Everytime I think about EGS, I wonder why I'm still reading it and I still don't know the answer. It just keeps going and not in any particulary interesting direction

probably the same reason as everyone else who reads it, because you have a transformation fetish

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Why doesn't the indie movie angle work anymore? Those are still totally a thing.

It's just that these days you hear more about people coming from nowhere to become incredibly popular with youtube far more than you hear about the indy scene. It's probably also representative in the author's change of tastes as the comic wore on.

nerdman42 posted:

God, man, I've still been reading it, but I'm not sure what's even going on at this point. I feel like Dan Shive is a fairly competent writer and artist, but he'd really do better if he wasn't bogged down by all this garbage dating back 14 years ago to when he was in high school and borrowing ideas from Bob and George. Some people really need to learn to kill their darlings.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

God, man, I've still been reading it, but I'm not sure what's even going on at this point. I feel like Dan Shive is a fairly competent writer and artist, but he'd really do better if he wasn't bogged down by all this garbage dating back 14 years ago to when he was in high school and borrowing ideas from Bob and George. Some people really need to learn to kill their darlings.

The worst part is that he knows all that, but keeps trucking on regardless.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
So Gigi D.G. (of Cucumber Quest fame) just released a really gay good complete comic called Lady of the Shard, about a devoted lesbian acolyte who falls love with Rose Quartz her Goddess.

It's absolutely homosexual wonderful, shifting deftly between cutesy domesticity to questions of responsibility to body horror to cosmic horror that actually FEELS cosmically horrifying to totally not lesbian BDSM we swear your honor and back. The writing is brisk and clever, communicating both a cosmological scope and a tiny personal scope without ever getting bogged down in exposition. The art goes from simple, intentionally-poor-quality sketches to the sort of beautiful endless canvas stuff that would give Scott McCloud a terminal priapism. The plot is so queer compounded on queer compounded on ladies kissing and being happy and then kissing and being sad, it could be an Indigo Girls song.

It's free on itch.io, and reads start to finish in an hour. I think it somehow made me gayer I didn't think that was possible highly recommend it.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 13, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Subject material aside, she does an impressive amount of work with just white or red lines on featureless black space.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I read it earlier. It's really good. Recommend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gutter Owl posted:

So Gigi D.G. (of Cucumber Quest fame) just released a really gay good complete comic called Lady of the Shard, about a devoted lesbian acolyte who falls love with Rose Quartz her Goddess.

It's absolutely homosexual wonderful, shifting deftly between cutesy domesticity to questions of responsibility to body horror to cosmic horror that actually FEELS cosmically horrifying to totally not lesbian BDSM we swear your honor and back. The writing is brisk and clever, communicating both a cosmological scope and a tiny personal scope without ever getting bogged down in exposition. The art goes from simple, intentionally-poor-quality sketches to the sort of beautiful endless canvas stuff that would give Scott McCloud a terminal priapism. The plot is so queer compounded on queer compounded on ladies kissing and being happy and then kissing and being sad, it could be an Indigo Girls song.

It's free on itch.io, and reads start to finish in an hour. I think it somehow made me gayer I didn't think that was possible highly recommend it.

It's extremely cute and wonderful.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

It's incredibly good. Some of the best comic work I've read in ages

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's just really formally...wowie. And despite its apparent simplicity it's actually a very intricate story delivered with near-perfect concision.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She's the best

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gutter Owl posted:

IT IS OKAY TO HAVE A CRUSH

SHE SEEMS TO DIG YOU AS WELL

:allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've seen this manga already. It's the one where the totally unremarkable average protagonist has to deal with a distant but intense authority figure.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2016

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a lot of the good ones

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think I've seen this manga already. It's the one where the totally unremarkable average protagonist has to deal with a distant but intense authority figure.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
gigi is pretty good at comics you guys :swoon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That was a sweet comic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Really interested in how Vattu is going to turn out. Are they going to have an argument about colonialism? Is Vattu going to tell the painter about flying? Is she going to get an introduction to drugs? Can you even take unweight without a mouth?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can you even take unweight without a mouth?

Lemme show you how to work this funnel... :v:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really interested in how Vattu is going to turn out. Are they going to have an argument about colonialism? Is Vattu going to tell the painter about flying? Is she going to get an introduction to drugs? Can you even take unweight without a mouth?

Yes, no, no, yes imo

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Lady of the Shard was so good; I'm gay and upset; holy gently caress

edit: gdi word filter i actually am gay i'm not being ironic!!!!!

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Not sure if this is gonna be a long form comic or what, but Wild Wasp rolled across my tumblr dashboard and from what's up so far I'm already pretty much hooked :v:.

There's only a few pages up so far, but it seems promising.

• Locked thread