Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

kizudarake posted:

Got this email from TCGPlayer today:

3 days after me :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
It's great for buying pauper decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

3 days after me :smug:

:smaug:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is there a spot for a Life from the Loam or two in that dredge deck? Seems like you could mill your lands away and be stuck on 3 mana with a hand full of Grave-Trolls and Imps without a way to get Bloodghast and Prized Amalgam out of your yard.

Though, that's what Dakmor Salvage is hedging against, I guess, so maybe it's fine?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kizudarake posted:

Not surprised. I've only spent 313 bucks on there in a year and 3 months. I'm surprised I got in the beta at all.

How in the gently caress did awful app replace my post when I quoted Shaneb?

I don't understand what this is supposed to be.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there a spot for a Life from the Loam or two in that dredge deck? Seems like you could mill your lands away and be stuck on 3 mana with a hand full of Grave-Trolls and Imps without a way to get Bloodghast and Prized Amalgam out of your yard.

Though, that's what Dakmor Salvage is hedging against, I guess, so maybe it's fine?

If you're worried about specifically Grafdigger's Cage, you could side into Loam + Seismic Assault and/or Molten Vortex. Still get owned by Rest in Peace though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

little munchkin posted:

Lol at Wizards being the only business the world where "overwhelming demand for product" is considered a problem that is impossible to solve.

I mean Disney Infinity just got shut down because Disney couldn't figure out how to accurately produce the right amount of figures and has an extra million Hulk dolls in storage somewhere.

In any manufactured goods scenario you have to figure out how to produce the right amount of the product, and clearly define that product. WotC doesn't sell Commander decks, they sell sets of 5 Commander decks, and they manufacturer them all evenly. Retailers then sell those individual decks, but they buy them in sets of 5, just like how they buy packs by the box instead of ordering 27 packs, etc. You don't want to over manufacture because then you wind up storing inventory that is dropping in demand (and thus value) and you don't want to underproduce and be left missing sales.

So WotC has decided to fill them with $35 worth of cards and keep them evenly balanced, cost-wise, so they can evenly sell and distribute them. They can't accurately predict the secondary market, only react to it, so it is risky to toss an extra $20 card into the Verdant Catacombs deck to balance things out, because they don't know that it will continue to buffer the deck and track demand at the same pace as the Verdant Catacombs.

like it's easy to deride them here but larger companies fight the same problems with the same success rate, and WotC has decided to definitely make money on the thing rather than hoping they can make even more at risk of pissing off players and retailers.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand what this is supposed to be.

I posted that I got an email to join the exclusive beta for TCGPlayer direct <25 bucks, Shaneb replied that I was later than him, I tried to quote him, using the SA iOS app, and instead of quoting and replying to his post, it quoted him and replaced my earlier post with a post stating that I didn't think I had spent enough to be considered a Big Customer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kizudarake posted:

I posted that I got an email to join the exclusive beta for TCGPlayer direct <25 bucks, Shaneb replied that I was later than him, I tried to quote him, using the SA iOS app, and instead of quoting and replying to his post, it quoted him and replaced my earlier post with a post stating that I didn't think I had spent enough to be considered a Big Customer.

I meant I don't understand what the special super club is: I wasn't aware the TCG Direct thing was a special benefit of some kind.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Disney Infinite shut down because they decided it would be easier to license their poo poo than maintain a gaming studio, which is absolutely true.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Check those two drat emails! JEesus! Jace's Christ!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

Disney Infinite shut down because they decided it would be easier to license their poo poo than maintain a gaming studio, which is absolutely true.

also because when lego got into that market instead of market growth they just took a chunk of the pie from disney and activision, so disney's bailing before it becomes a bottomless pit of wasted money forever

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah, they were already competing against Skylanders who showed up first and were surprisingly competent. All of that stuff was a lot better than I figured it would be, since I thought it was just all Amiibo style cash grabs

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I guess the theme of this and the previous page page is posting about our bad decisions so I figured I'd keep in theme by making the bad decision of posting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness how is the pro league of legends thread treating you

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

i read patch notes so p well i think

its like how this thread works p well for me b/c i read cardboard

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I can't imagine posting in that thread is a good decision

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

I can't imagine posting in that thread is a good decision

Its fun to post in when its GDT time and it's also fun to talk strategy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Sure I mean, it's just funny when people talk about how much they use tcgplayer then talk about how almost every vendor on there stiffs them :laffo:.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zoness posted:

Sure I mean, it's just funny when people talk about how much they use tcgplayer then talk about how almost every vendor on there stiffs them :laffo:.

I've had 98% good luck there but since I've switched to using direct as much as possible it's been flawless. And now I just get to use it all the time!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Its fun to post in when its GDT time and it's also fun to talk strategy.

I mean, I occasionally post in the pro dota thread (as does zoness) but I don't claim it's a good decision

Idk how the League thread compares tho

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

Check those two drat emails! JEesus! Jace's Christ!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Generally the people who bitch and complain about it the most are shitlords who try to spec on poo poo the minute poo poo shows at the pro tour.

Shitlords like me, who got in on the swords unban for the playsets of swords and poo poo while it wall all under 10 bucks total. I at least got all my minute one purchases in without issue for the entire past year.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Two straight games in MTGO where the opponent has disconnected. I like free wins, but...

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Huh. Turns out Izzy is just a pseudonym for Goran Josic.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the MTGO set up like? Can I earn free cards or boosters by playing or $$$ only? Can you play another person, like if Kraus and I wanted to play, we could hook up and do that, or enter a league, find random only?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

ButtWolf posted:

What is the MTGO set up like? Can I earn free cards or boosters by playing or $$$ only? Can you play another person, like if Kraus and I wanted to play, we could hook up and do that, or enter a league, find random only?

Fake MTGO Money(Event Tickets) costs $$$

You can buy cards or booster packs from robots for Event Tickets.

Tournaments that have prizes cost Event Tickets or booster packs or Different Fake MTGO Money(Play Points).
The prizes you can win are booster packs or Play Points.
You can sell the booster packs to robots for Event Tickets
You can sell Event Tickets to people (need to make an offline agreement) for $$$.

Casual play is free all the time if you have the cards to make the deck you wanna play.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 14, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ButtWolf posted:

If you are good enough you can earn enough winnings to play for free, yes. You have to be choosy on events, probably sell your raredraft picks, and also be very good but it's certainly doable. Also, if it doesn't involve prizes it is free, including 1:1 matches you set up with your friends, yes. You'd still need to pay to acquire the cards to play them with first though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just resettled in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area and am looking to get at least slightly back into Magic, so if anyone is interested in arguing over the reserve list or rare redrafting in person hit me up over PMs. Or better yet we can cube or trade so I can update my cube.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

edit: wrong thread!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Well just got back from FNM where I had to hear someone take up the responsibility of doing the monthly salty whine about ":qq: netdecking :qq:"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD MAILBAG posted:

@samstod Is it me or does green draw cards better in current standard than blue does?

Currently—yes. This is something we are going to work on fixing over time. The thing is that we have given green some very strong contextual card draw (e.g., drawing cards equal to the number of creatures you control, or your creatures' highest power), which lets it cheat in mana compared to straight-up card draw. Jace, Vryn's Prodigy made us a bit gun-shy about straight-up blue card draw, and I think that led the total amount of blue card draw to be a little under what we would like for Standard. We have also given a lot of other colors very powerful card advantage, even if it doesn't exactly draw cards, at a better rate than we gave blue raw card draw.

Blue will eventually return to being the king of card draw in Standard. We just need time for new sets to come out.

----

@samstod What's R&D's view on the design of Blue? You struggled with White for years now it feels like Blue took over that mantle.

Blue has had some issues in the last year. It's still very competitive, even though it has been appearing more as a support color than a main one in Shadows over Innistrad Standard. Some of that is because Jace is very strong, so we didn't want to push other blue cards. And some is that with Read the Bones, Painful Truths, Duskwatch Recruiter, Goblin Dark-Dwellers, and Collected Company, we gave other colors some of the most powerful card-advantage tools in Standard. We are definitely working on ways to expand what blue does, and to make it more competitive as the main color in Standard decks.

Interesting

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Interesting

The problem seems to be that they don't want countermagic to be good, they don't want to print any good cantrips and they don't have card draw in blue anymore for some reason. You may recognize these things as all blue actually does.

What I'm saying is print Accumulated Knowledge, Opt and Force of Will in the moon set. Especially Opt. I'm tired of Serum Visions. Card's awful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

The problem seems to be that they don't want countermagic to be good, they don't want to print any good cantrips and they don't have card draw in blue anymore for some reason. You may recognize these things as all blue actually does.

What I'm saying is print Accumulated Knowledge, Opt and Force of Will in the moon set. Especially Opt. I'm tired of Serum Visions. Card's awful.

List buddy, negate is as good as its every going to get and you are going to like it.

Is Frank Lepore on suicide watch yet? Still no tweets from him in 3 days.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Gotta wonder who's upset by these things other than people looking for things to be cynical about. Every color goes through times where they're the "weakest" color and have pieces of the color pie "stolen" from them, this has been true since at least Planar Chaos. As the game grows, they're constantly changing things, and with so many moving parts, there's give and take in some areas. Before we know it there's going to be a Standard with oppressive control decks and people are going to be complaining that, for argument's sake, green is too slow and doesn't have the tools to compete with the control decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Would Remand minus the cantrip be too powerful in Standard? What about as a sacrifice enchantment?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Gotta wonder who's upset by these things other than people looking for things to be cynical about. Every color goes through times where they're the "weakest" color and have pieces of the color pie "stolen" from them, this has been true since at least Planar Chaos. As the game grows, they're constantly changing things, and with so many moving parts, there's give and take in some areas. Before we know it there's going to be a Standard with oppressive control decks and people are going to be complaining that, for argument's sake, green is too slow and doesn't have the tools to compete with the control decks.

He's not talking about standard and I'm not under the impression he cares about standard at all.

He's talking about Modern, the format where Preordain and Ponder are considered too good and good countermagic is forbidden because it'll rock the boat in standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Would Remand minus the cantrip be too powerful in Standard? What about as a sacrifice enchantment?

Remand minus the cantrip would absolutely suck. You're going down a card to blank them for a turn, it's actually probably worse than Disperse and that barely sees play already.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we had two of the most powerful blue card draw spells ever printed in standard just a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's not talking about standard and I'm not under the impression he cares about standard at all.

He's talking about Modern, the format where Preordain and Ponder are considered too good and good countermagic is forbidden because it'll rock the boat in standard.

Also lol at using Planar Chaos as any sort of evidence for anything color pie related.

• Locked thread