Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Shame Carson didn't win Kansas; they're made for each other.

he's dropping out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It should be noted that Kansas, currently suffering under the weight of a heavily conservative government, chose the most conservative candidate on the ballot.

Full steam ahead, say Kansas voters.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Boon posted:

It should be noted that Kansas, currently suffering under the weight of a heavily conservative government, chose the most conservative candidate on the ballot.

Full steam ahead, say Kansas voters.

Kansas is basically a living refutation of accelerationism.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Actually I think they voted for him simply because he's the most religious.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Baby steps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they couldnt afford to put any other names on the ballot

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

When I went to caucus for the democratic election someone from the kansas democratic party was there and said they identified dstrcts where davis won vs brownback and they hope to take some of those districts so they can fight brownback. Pretty wishful thinking on their part but at least they have a plan.
I was actually surprised how many democrats live in my small rear end town kind of felt good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

go3 posted:

they couldnt afford to put any other names on the ballot

:lol:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Beo posted:

When I went to caucus for the democratic election someone from the kansas democratic party was there and said they identified dstrcts where davis won vs brownback and they hope to take some of those districts so they can fight brownback. Pretty wishful thinking on their part but at least they have a plan.
I was actually surprised how many democrats live in my small rear end town kind of felt good.

Anyone not from KS that has a passing knowledge of the state knows about its progressive past. I am not surprised at all that Bernie did well in KS in a primary with only one other candidate (representing the status quo), in the general election, lol no.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

he's dropping out

Wish Kansas could do the same and drop out of the Union.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In the latest saga of the slow strangulation of every service the state provides, Kansas finds itself another $290 m short for their budget for the next fiscal year!
Surely you say, after the last 2 or 3 years of Brownback's tax cuts creating budget deficits everyone would recognize the policies need work. Not so fast! Instead, they've floated 3 options, the first of which is to raid the highway fund, again for another $185 million, which would put the amount redirected out of the fund to well over a billion dollars. Option 2 is to sell off the majority of the tobacco settlement money the state receives to get a one time cash payment. Basically the state equivalent of going to JG Wentworth. Option 3 is to delay paying into the state pension fund, always a great idea that doesn't lead to bad consequences at all. Plus there's the assorted cuts to education, again.

Really guys the job creators are coming any day, he promises! Instead of waiting for Godot, it's waiting for Galt.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wish Kansas could do the same and drop out of the Union.

Raze it and start Reconstruction 2.0.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also, apparently the GOP in Kansas are sick of the Supreme Court getting all up in their business and are close to passing Senate Bill 439, which would expand their ability to impeach Kansas Supreme Court Justices for vaguely worded poo poo like "attempting to subvert fundamental laws" or "attempting to usurp the power of the Legislature." Essentially, it gives their Legislature veto power over the Supreme Court.

http://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article73847852.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also, apparently the GOP in Kansas are sick of the Supreme Court getting all up in their business and are close to passing Senate Bill 439, which would expand their ability to impeach Kansas Supreme Court Justices for vaguely worded poo poo like "attempting to subvert fundamental laws" or "attempting to usurp the power of the Legislature." Essentially, it gives their Legislature veto power over the Supreme Court.

http://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article73847852.html

There is no way this doesn't get steamrolled by the Courts. And I'm sure the Feds would love to watch Kansas turn their Court system into a circus.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 27, 2016

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Just to revive this thread, some shady goings on with certain KS GOP members having financial data prior to entering a debate about the budget.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article75291882.html

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommieGIR posted:

There is no way this doesn't get steamrolled by the Courts. And I'm sure the Feds would love to watch Kansas turn their Court system into a circus.

The competition between Kansas, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Florida for most poorly run state in the Union intensifies.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hawkline posted:

Just to revive this thread, some shady goings on with certain KS GOP members having financial data prior to entering a debate about the budget.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article75291882.html

It's almost as if the whole tax revenue debate they've had the last 5 years has all been in bad faith and it's a knowing attempt to sacrifice public schools, the highway fund, and pensions on the Altar of Austerity.

It totally has been this whole time, but still.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

The competition between Kansas, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Florida for most poorly run state in the Union intensifies.

I'm curious what would have happened if Virginia had gone Republican in the last Governor election. We have an assembly full of fuckers and the Cooch would have been a nightmare mix of austerity politics and religious fanaticism but the military contractors, D.C suburbanites, and the companies and lobbyists they represent in Northern Virginia probably wouldn't stand for this sort of economic meltdown just to push an ideological point.

If Hillary just had Mcauliffe get out and say "hey I saved your state from THAT and she's my buddy" it's all she would need to secure my vote.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 12, 2016

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Brownback rumored to be leaving office early to become President of K State

quote:

What are we going to do when there is no Sam Brownback to beat up on?

The Republican Kansas governor, who has been a pin-cushion for journalists, cannot run again. He still has more than two years left in his second term of office. Or does he? There are rumors that Brownback, who has been bloodied by a nightmarish series of self-imposed financial catastrophes, might opt to leave office early to fill the open position of president of Kansas State University in Manhattan.

Suppose he did just that.

That would seem to put Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer, who would be the incumbent governor, in a strong position to win in 2018, should he run. But it might not be a cakewalk for Colyer.

ADVERTISING

Hanging over Colyer, a Johnson County physician, is the cloud of having been part of a Brownback administration. Independent polls indicate that Brownback has horrendous approval ratings. In fact, one national poll last year concluded that Brownback was the most unpopular governor in America. How would you like to hitch your wagon to that?

Colyer’s home address in Johnson County is a high hurdle to overcome. Most of Kansas hates Johnson County and wants no part of electing someone from there to the state’s highest office.

While we’re on the topic of governor, let’s consider who else might run. Mike Pompeo, a right-wing GOP congressman from Wichita since 2011, mulled over running against Republican U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran. He then came to his senses. It would’ve been a slaughter. It suggests, however, Pompeo has higher aspirations. Some think Brownback and his cronies, like the Koch brothers of Wichita, would want to anoint Pompeo as their candidate to be the next governor. A reliable fanatic, Pompeo surely would want to continue the irresponsible policies that have destroyed Kansas.

Lynn Jenkins, a GOP congresswoman from Topeka since 2009, has been rumored to be interested in a run for governor. The former Kansas treasurer from 2003-2008 is well regarded and has avoided controversy. I would never want to curse her with the moniker “moderate Republican,” which would be her death-knell. But Jenkins, who is a reasonable conservative, is level-headed and no zealot. Her chances are remote, even though she does have some statewide name recognition from her years as treasurer. In an era when reasonable people are not rewarded, Jenkins is probably too well-balanced to win in the primary.

No one will be in a better spot to win the governor’s seat than Kris Kobach, unless he waits for a U.S. Senate run. The Kansas secretary of state since 2011 has enormous statewide name identification. Not only that, but he has considerable name recognition and a following nationally because of his crusade against illegal immigration. Money would pour into his campaign from all over Kansas and all over America.

Kobach is also in the unique position of having served in two Brownback administrations, yet he is not tarnished with the financial calamity. Rather, he spent his valuable time chasing non-existent voter fraud in Kansas, where Kobach still says illegal immigrants are voting, despite the fact he has not prosecuted one such case.

In 2014, while Brownback struggled to beat his Democratic challenger Paul Davis, Kobach was swept to victory over his Democratic opponent Jean Schodorf. Granted, Kobach’s opponent did not spend much on her campaign, as Davis did. But if Kobach were unpopular with Kansans, he never would’ve received almost 60 percent of the vote.

I didn’t name potential Democratic candidates for governor in 2018. That was no oversight.

Other than Davis trying again, there is no Democrat yet who has emerged as a viable candidate. That’s really unfortunate because Brownback’s poor performance leaves that opportunity wide open.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh man as if there weren't enough reasons to rag on the Wildcats.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't think the college would want him after his tax cuts forced giant cuts to higher ed. Though, let's be honest, he would fit in well with ksu's good ol boy mentality

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Why does most of Kansas hate Johnson county?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

paragon1 posted:

We rich bitch and we godless out hurr

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SalTheBard posted:

Brownback rumored to be leaving office early to become President of K State
Lol 'Brownback is enormously unpopular'

'Now here is a list of successors, one of which is likely to win the 2018 and continue the Brownback legacy'

Really hard to have sympathy for Kansas.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Why feel bad? They're gettin what they want, the system works.

Sure, some people realize how hosed it is and they should get out ASAP while the vast majority decide to live in a republican dreamland.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SlipUp posted:

Sure, some people realize how hosed it is and they should get out ASAP while the vast majority decide to live in a republican dreamland.
I moved from Wichita to Denmark. :toot:

The flaming shitshow that is the Brownback economy was not an insignificant factor in my decision. I suggest all fellow Kansas goons do the same.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kilroy posted:

Lol 'Brownback is enormously unpopular'

'Now here is a list of successors, one of which is likely to win the 2018 and continue the Brownback legacy'

Really hard to have sympathy for Kansas.

Well, what else can they do, vote Democrat? That's crazy talk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inferior Third Season posted:

I moved from Wichita to Denmark. :toot:

The flaming shitshow that is the Brownback economy was not an insignificant factor in my decision. I suggest all fellow Kansas goons do the same.

I skipped out for Cincinnati right before Brownback poo poo everything up. I was seeing the writing on the wall right before my second layoff in three years.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I moved here a year ago because it seemed awesome and cool.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

I moved here a year ago because it seemed awesome and cool.
I hope you weren't abused in the underground bunker where you grew up.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It was for a job actually, and will likely only last a few more years. I do think Lawrence is fine though. KC is also ok.

Seafood sucks though. Also I can't find any good Mexican restaurants. Also the abortion stuff is pretty horrifying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

fishhooked posted:

I wouldn't think the college would want him after his tax cuts forced giant cuts to higher ed. Though, let's be honest, he would fit in well with ksu's good ol boy mentality

It's cool, he'll do like Mitch Daniels did and pack the university with his supporters who will vote him in.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

It was for a job actually, and will likely only last a few more years.
Beware...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Drunkboxer posted:

It was for a job actually, and will likely only last a few more yearsweeks

Fixed that for you. Unless you're in one of the rare sectors that isn't getting cut to hell and (brown)back, then change it to "months".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drunkboxer posted:

Seafood sucks though. Also I can't find any good Mexican restaurants. Also the abortion stuff is pretty horrifying.

My dad grew up in Kansas and refuses to ever eat any seafood. Kind of surprised you can't find any decent Mexican places though, there seems to be lots of those every time I visit family.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

It was for a job actually, and will likely only last a few more years. I do think Lawrence is fine though. KC is also ok.

Southwest Blvd.

edit: also this

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 13, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Because they're a bunch of self absorbed assholes that feel like they're superior to anyone else in the region because of where they live.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

fknlo posted:

Because they're a bunch of self absorbed assholes that feel like they're superior to anyone else in the region because of where they live.

When I first moved back to KS from Colorado I dated a girl who lived in Westport. I had no idea why all her friends treated me like poo poo until I heard one of her friends saying "I can't believe you would date some rich rear end in a top hat from JoCo." (I'm neither rich nor an rear end in a top hat) So in short not all of Johnson County is like that, but the few that are, are super annoying.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also Johnson county is deep deep blue island in the sea of red that is the state political spectrum. It's only natural for the "rich liberal elitist rear end in a top hat" slur to form against Johnson County from the rest of the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know these aren't your takes re: Johnson County but if they were you'd be morons.

• Locked thread