Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Darwyn Cooke is now receiving palliative care after an aggressive bout with cancer.

Fuckin' sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Beaten.

gently caress Cancer, indeed. And gently caress 2016 while we are at it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Does that basically mean they're just trying to keep him from suffering at this point, and the cancer is just going to take its course? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've not had much experience with cancer care.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

Does that basically mean they're just trying to keep him from suffering at this point, and the cancer is just going to take its course? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've not had much experience with cancer care.

Usually, yeah. The term itself means a whole lot more, but people tend to mean the "we'll try to make you as comfortable as possible" stage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Honestly, if you wanted to go for a dark reboot, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines would be the way to go. The tale of a poor child courier, trapped behind enemy lines, desperate to keep his plane operational by any means necessary, pursued by a mad Nazi pilot and his increasingly deranged inventions, his constantly snickering hound, his cowardly yet omnipresent sidekicks...

:suicide:

I'm generally not a fan of slapstick done by people who's approach to slapstick involves "stuff in as much blood and gore as you can".

This style humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQg07Jf9XM

doesn't really work if he's not actually flat, and bantering sarcastically with the announcer. You can argue that it doesn't work at all and it's terribly cheesy, which, fair enough, but I doubt adding in cracked ribs, exposed vertebrae, and buckets of blood would make it funnier. That it's being written by Ken Pontiac of Happy Tree Friends fame doesn't inspire confidence that this isn't the route they're going, but he's also done more tame work (LazyTown, Bump in the Night), so who knows? If they nail the narration and don't try and turn Dick into Lobo, it could be its own weird thing.

I kind of agree with you in principle but Turbo Kid is an awesomely hilarious movie full of horrible gore, and playing that movie dead serious would completely ruin it.

This is the worst year.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
gently caress cancer. Cooke is one of my favourite must buy artists and I pretty much love everything he has drawn. I just hope he isn't suffering.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I kind of agree with you in principle but Turbo Kid is an awesomely hilarious movie full of horrible gore, and playing that movie dead serious would completely ruin it.

Sure, sure. I'm not saying that it can't be done well. I'm one of the biggest Garth Ennis fans here, and one of the few who will write in favor of his Marvel Knights Punisher run. It's certainly a subjective thing.

But, when this is what you're best know for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln2vDm4gzII
Tame is a relative word

I want to remain optimistic, but I'm not filled with confidence. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

edit: loving hell. Poor guy. I hope they can give him some blue pencil printed out Kirby pages to ink, if he can still hold a pen. He said in an interview that's what he used to do to relax... gently caress cancer.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 13, 2016

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If they nail the narration and don't try and turn Dick into Lobo, it could be its own weird thing.

Going by the art, it looks like they turned Dick into Captain Jack Sparrow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God drat it 2016 give it a loving rest for like a second

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda thought 2016 would stop after it took my grandpa.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

2016 took my grandma too. Don't have any more. Only got one grandad left too.

2016 don't you even loving think about it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just learned that George Zimmerman is auctioning off the gun he used to murder Trayvon Martin. I am officially considering cryogenically freezing myself until 2016 is over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I just learned that George Zimmerman is auctioning off the gun he used to murder Trayvon Martin. I am officially considering cryogenically freezing myself until 2016 is over.

I'm not in favor of killing anyone, even Zimmerman, but, hypothetically, if someone bought that gun just so they could kill Zimmerman with it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm not in favor of killing anyone, even Zimmerman, but, hypothetically, if someone bought that gun just so they could kill Zimmerman with it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

That sounds like the twist ending to one of these:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

No.

Crushing news.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

GBS has been bidding on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

GBS has been bidding on it.

The best internet pranks are the ones that result in a murderer getting more money.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

The best internet pranks are the ones that result in a murderer getting more money.

We're talking to absurdly large heights like $65 million, which is basically the only way to prevent Zimmerman from getting money. If total assholes do a glorified DdoS by swamping the auctions with implausible/impossible bids that choke out total racists trying to buy the gun legit so they can display it next to their Nazi memorabilia, then basically every rear end in a top hat loses. The auction sites consider it more problem then it's worth, the transactions get choked out under the sheer weight of false ones, Zimmerman doesn't get his money and he's forced to sell it locally, where he gets much less money.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They've already had to cancel $65 million bids from Racist McShithead and Weedlord Bonerhitler among others, so at least the internet is responding correctly.

I tried to register but I don't think the site believed me when I told it I was Donald Trump :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Try a deep cut, like "J. C. McReynolds".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Try Regan's forgetful ghost

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Abradolf Lincler or bust.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh man. I was just about the recommend the Comixology Darwyn Cooke sale, but it just wrapped up.
Bad timing.

e: Oop. Still there. Just not on the main page.
https://www.comixology.com/Darwyn-Cooke-Sale/page/10679?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9tb2JpbGUvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

His Solo comic is on there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

They've already had to cancel $65 million bids from Racist McShithead and Weedlord Bonerhitler among others, so at least the internet is responding correctly.

I tried to register but I don't think the site believed me when I told it I was Donald Trump :(

Well that's probably because Donald Trump has already bid on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It seems like a lot of people on twitter don't understand what palliative care implies with regards to Darwyn Cooke's situation. I don't have the heart to disillusion them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kurt Busiek just posted "RIP Darwyn" and gave me a flippin heart attack.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people saying he's passed :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people saying he's passed :(

I can not deal with that today.

Like I said elsewhere, I own practically everything he's every written or drawn and the idea of it being a complete collection is very depressing.

Edit: Mike Allred and Gene Ha are both saying he has passed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

loving hell.

I literally don't think he produced anything bad. Writer or artist, I can't think of anything he worked on that's not good. This is Dwayne McDuffie all over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy hell, I'm sitting here crying. What a terrible loss for his family, for the industry and for us.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
no official word from the family yet....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was incredibly fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That was incredibly fast.

The theory I am seeing in the FB discussions is that he kept it a secret and must have taken a bad turn and that's why it became public.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The theory I am seeing in the FB discussions is that he kept it a secret and must have taken a bad turn and that's why it became public.

It's just, my grandfather got diagnosed with incurable doom and somehow lasted 3 months, and he was a blind skinny 90 year old man. Either he was in palliative care for a while now, or it got really bad really fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's just, my grandfather got diagnosed with incurable doom and somehow lasted 3 months, and he was a blind skinny 90 year old man. Either he was in palliative care for a while now, or it got really bad really fast.

That's the theory, that he's been in care for a while and kept it secret.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I hope it's a mistake. Even so, post your favorite Darwyn Cooke art here if you'd like. I'm on my phone or I'd post that recent cover he did with Batman passed out asleep in his suit where Alfred is tending to him. I love that cover so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well I hope it's a mistake. Even so, post your favorite Darwyn Cooke art here if you'd like. I'm on my phone or I'd post that recent cover he did with Batman passed out asleep in his suit where Alfred is tending to him. I love that cover so much.

Edit: And my favorite

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Either way, I still feel really bad for people who read an article written by someone who doesn't understand what palliative care means and are tweeting "Darwyn will beat this!" and such things.

Like I thought it was just readers being confused, but apparently some people rewrote the original article and botched the part where he's BEEN fighting cancer and is now in palliative care and are reporting it as "Is fighting cancer". Those are not equivalent stories at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Allow me. I have a few of those variant covers saved for my desktop rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm on my phone and sadly it's saved on my work computer but if someone can post the artwork of an army guy armed with two grenades jumping into a T-Rex mouth from New Frontier that would be great. That is possibly the most badass thing ever drawn and Cooke made it look awesome.

• Locked thread