Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

rscott posted:

Considering that a lot of the money they are throwing around came from QE, in a way it is taxpayer's money

Would you mind talking through your thought process here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I'm actually fairly certain that the eye thing is plastic surgery, she looks like she's had some work done.

It's not a gendered thing, Elon Musk has pretty clearly had plastic surgery as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

I don't know the numbers, but I'd be shocked if startups were a big enough portion of the economy to strongly affect the entire economy.

I'm going to make the same argument below that posters in Debate & Discussion commonly make in defense of scientific research into old, tired, very unlikely to ever economically matter physics research: if venture capital/esoteric physics research is so small when compared to the rest of the economy, why obsess over how it isn't the most economically efficient activity? It's like playing the lottery but with much more uncertain odds--maybe you can hit the jackpot and win big!

Venture capital isn't even taxpayer money, so it doesn't necessarily have to be your money that they are gambling with. Obviously there is a lot of stupid stuff and dumb ideas in startups to make fun of, but I think a lot of the hostility in the thread towards them is just culture warfare.

When it comes to research it isn't easy to say which is the most "economically efficient" activity. This is one of the problems when it comes to funding research in basically anything. You can't know the results ahead of time, you can't know the future applications, and you can't even really know if the research will succeed. That's why it's research. It pushes the boundaries of our understanding of how poo poo works as far as we can tell. If nothing else humans are naturally just plain curious. We want to know what's behind the next mystery and what's behind the mystery after that.

Plus the science budget from the federal government is pretty small. Like single digits percentage. Pure academic science is also overall cheaper than these crazy VC-backed startups and doesn't have the expectation that at least one of them vomits billions of dollars. It's more like "hello there, College University! Here is a few million dollars in yearly budget money do some research, make some science happen, and let us know what you come up with."

These startups are "well see we have this idea and we swear it'll have a 100:1 return on investment, we just need $10,000,000 to buy a lot of fancy chairs, a ping pong table, and pay for catering to get the best programming talent."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

silence_kit posted:

Venture capital isn't even taxpayer money, so it doesn't necessarily have to be your money that they are gambling with. Obviously there is a lot of stupid stuff and dumb ideas in startups to make fun of, but I think a lot of the hostility in the thread towards them is just culture warfare.

VC money gambling on unicorns is the best transfer of wealth from the superrich dynasties to the merely affluent young white male

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm actually fairly certain that the eye thing is plastic surgery, she looks like she's had some work done.

It's not a gendered thing, Elon Musk has pretty clearly had plastic surgery as well.

could this also account for her speaking voice sounding like Bill S. Preston, Esquire

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

quote:

When it comes to startups it isn't easy to say which is the most "economically efficient" activity.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

could this also account for her speaking voice sounding like Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Modern science hasn't mastered vocal cord surgery yet, otherwise a lot of transpeople out there would have much more convincing voices.

Edit: I don't think Holmes is trans, just pointing out evidence that the technology isn't there yet.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Gail Wynand posted:

People get plastic surgery on their retinas now?

I would have assumed it was the lights of the camera reflected in her eyes being wide open. I've seen it in model pictures, photographers used to edit it out now they enhance it to give a halo effect. That or she has those contact lenses with built in highlights.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

VC money gambling on unicorns is the best transfer of wealth from the superrich dynasties to the merely affluent young white male

Very true.

I would argue that for most people the impact a tech crash will have will be depend by upon what new thing catches the eye of the people in charge of aiming the firehose of money that was getting sprayed on app startups.

I have no idea what it would be though, nearly every asset class is already disturbingly overpriced.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Marenghi posted:

I would have assumed it was the lights of the camera reflected in her eyes being wide open. I've seen it in model pictures, photographers used to edit it out now they enhance it to give a halo effect. That or she has those contact lenses with built in highlights.

It's called a ring light.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

silence_kit posted:

rscott posted:

Considering that a lot of the money they are throwing around came from QE, in a way it is taxpayer's money

mike- posted:

Would you mind talking through your thought process here

Hope no one minds if I take a stab at it.

Im not sure if this is it but:
-govt bails out banks with taxpayer $$ so banks keep functioning,
-banks have to put money somewhere where it gets a decent return in a bad economy,
-banks invest in VC funds hoping that at least one 'unicorn' will make the failures worth it.

If the banks hadn't been bailed out, maybe the economy could have settled down and bigmoney investors could have learned to live with more sustainable growth. Is that how the reasoning goes?

Re: culture war, if this is correct (I'm not an expert in any of these things, I just read the threads) then companies like Uber and ABnB particularly are taking VC money and lobbying to change public safety laws so they can turn their bad investments into possibly good ones. They pretend like they were just on their merry way to be profitable when suddenly they 'discover' regulations, when really the whole time any real profits came from shortcutting those regulations. And everyone is always supposed to believe they just didn't know, and it was just an honest mistake and not a cynical calculation made from the start.

Things like lobbying towards independent contractors being the standard state for employment, and against public safety regulations, are "culture warfare".

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Eyelid folding, it's incredibly common in Asia. Her eyes have that crazy wide open look in every pic I've seen including more candid ones.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

crusader_complex posted:

Re: culture war, if this is correct (I'm not an expert in any of these things, I just read the threads) then companies like Uber and ABnB particularly are taking VC money and lobbying to change public safety laws so they can turn their bad investments into possibly good ones. They pretend like they were just on their merry way to be profitable when suddenly they 'discover' regulations, when really the whole time any real profits came from shortcutting those regulations. And everyone is always supposed to believe they just didn't know, and it was just an honest mistake and not a cynical calculation made from the start.

Things like lobbying towards independent contractors being the standard state for employment, and against public safety regulations, are "culture warfare".

Of course what's also bullshit is if it was just an honest mistake that's a reason for them to get lesser fines or even a complete waiver and either
A.) Wind down, the illegal part of their operation -and if that makes them unprofitable close up shop. It's not society's job to subsidize speculation.
B.) Comply.
Neither of which are what these companies are doing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sure elizabeth holmes dresses like she's trying to build a cult of personality and has the crazy eyes but if you're jonesing to be outraged at someone based on criticism about her being a woman then just listen to her voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE&t=99s

What in the gently caress, i feel like i'm in the uncanny valley watching this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Don't make fun of her behind her back, she'll manipulate the lot of us to break free from her holding lab

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

crusader_complex posted:

Hope no one minds if I take a stab at it.

Im not sure if this is it but:
-govt bails out banks with taxpayer $$ so banks keep functioning,
-banks have to put money somewhere where it gets a decent return in a bad economy,
-banks invest in VC funds hoping that at least one 'unicorn' will make the failures worth it.

If the banks hadn't been bailed out

have you actually thought about what would have happened if the banks hadn't been bailed out.

hint: The Great Recession wouldn't be spelled with an "r"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Geat Ecession

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

E-cession sounds like a good name for an app.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

crusader_complex posted:

As someone who works in a small, young-ish (10 years or so) company in a totally different field: it is a mix of knowing the regulations and not caring, knowing the regulations and thinking they don't technically apply because they aren't really an X and being totally ignorant of the regulation because no one has physically stopped them yet, so it must be OK. I guess the proportions are 9/1/90.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

E-cession sounds like a good name for an app.

"Are you tired of having to call your lawyer and have them send a physical Cease and Desist letter? Angry at how much you pay them to send one over email? Well, the answer to your prayers is nigh: E-cession. Two taps on your mobile phone, and your IP is saved!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking it could be an app to facilitate the procurement of bailout funds during economic downturns.

I'm sure there would be a thriving marketplace of governments willing to bail out startups. Why do we tolerate a state monopoly on bailouts? Surely allowing anyone or any state to bail out an industry would only increase effectiveness.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Are you tired of having to call your lawyer and have them send a physical Cease and Desist letter? Angry at how much you pay them to send one over email? Well, the answer to your prayers is nigh: E-cession. Two taps on your mobile phone, and your IP is saved!"

sEcessn - Obama!!!??!?! In my bathroom? No! Now the app that allows you to leave the Union using the conveniece of your smartphone. You'll be whistling Dixie in no time.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pochoclo posted:

Can't blame people for their voice but jesus christ that's a whole lot of stupid bullshit she's spouting. If I said like a hundredth of that poo poo in a job interview I'd get a boot up my rear end, why do rich people think it's a good idea to give lots of money to people like this?

Because she comes from wealth.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

A big flaming stink posted:

have you actually thought about what would have happened if the banks hadn't been bailed out.

hint: The Great Recession wouldn't be spelled with an "r"
The banks had to be bailed out, but we should have used the opportunity to radically alter the financial system rather than just open up the Federal printing presses and say "please pay us back pretty soon". It was possibly a once in a generation opportunity that we were never going to grasp because the majority of elected officials from freshman representatives on up are beholden to the elites and their wealth extraction racket.

Its dumb to make fun of someone for things they cannot control. Holmes says enough stupid, hilarious things that her ideas are more than enough ammo for years of ridicule.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It will be interesting to look back on how the VC funding/silicon valley years altered the Indian-American (as in India, not Native American) experience.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

Can't blame people for their voice but jesus christ that's a whole lot of stupid bullshit she's spouting. If I said like a hundredth of that poo poo in a job interview I'd get a boot up my rear end, why do rich people think it's a good idea to give lots of money to people like this?

Wealthy. Grew up wealthy. Everyone loves sucking on wealthy dick. Mr. Mad Money is sucking her dick right there. Rich people get to go on TV and get their dicks sucked. They just word vomit because no one is listening anyway; too busy suckin' on that dick.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How does mad money man still have a show after that daily show evisceration

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously, after the bullshit cramer pulled for bear stearns, i'm shocked he has lasted another 8 years.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Cultural Imperial posted:

Seriously, after the bullshit cramer pulled for bear stearns, i'm shocked he has lasted another 8 years.

CNBC literally exists as a gigantic 24/7 machine to try and pump the market (particularly mutual funds). They are paid handsomely for their service with a ridiculous amount of mutual fund advertisements. Cramer is the best pumper in the business, and he could basically be convicted of securities fraud and CNBC would try to find a way to tape his show from prison.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Like he'd go to prison.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just happened to surf into acronym/isaora/rancourt websites and they're all using something called "Affirm" which is some sort of monthly installment purchasing service. Holy poo poo gently caress this economy and gently caress you if you use this.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I just happened to surf into acronym/isaora/rancourt websites and they're all using something called "Affirm" which is some sort of monthly installment purchasing service. Holy poo poo gently caress this economy and gently caress you if you use this.

Can you give a bit more context there? What are they buying and how are installment payments bad?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

RandomPauI posted:

Can you give a bit more context there? What are they buying and how are installment payments bad?

The sites I mentioned sell overpriced men's clothing.

http://shoppingkim.com/online-stores-that-accept-affirm-to-buy-now-pay-later/

In other words, if your disposable income is low, you can always disrupt your consumption by borrowing to buy whatever dumb poo poo you don't need.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Someone should make a Silicon valley startup game based on the model of Tropico. Use a convincing collection of ping pong tables, Restoration Hardware furniture, and 40-trying-to-look-20 year old employees to convince VCs to endlessly send you piles of money to be funneled off to an account in the Caymans.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

In other words, if your disposable income is low, you can always disrupt your consumption by borrowing to buy whatever dumb poo poo you don't need.

Isn't that what a credit card does?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Someone should make a Silicon valley startup game based on the model of Tropico. Use a convincing collection of ping pong tables, Restoration Hardware furniture, and 40-trying-to-look-20 year old employees to convince VCs to endlessly send you piles of money to be funneled off to an account in the Caymans.

Puerto Rico already exists.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nachos posted:

Of course not, they are definitely not the same. A SV startup would NEVER create something that basically already exists, just in a slightly modified way! :homebrew:

The description of 95% of the products/services of startups could basically be followed by the question "Isn't that what <XXXXX> already does though?".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rates from 10-30%. :stare:

nachos posted:

Well yeah basically. It's taking the already very scummy 'no questions asked' style of credit card businesses and making it even easier to make poor impulse buying decisions. But services like these have already been around for years so I'm not sure how this is new in any way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

So do you think they know that wetwork is a euphemism for paid murder?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

paragon1 posted:

So do you think they know that wetwork is a euphemism for paid murder?

Well, the jackets are reminiscent of that one scene in American Psycho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I like that they're called Tech Shells.