Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

climboutonalimb posted:

This is probably pop-sci bullshit but this crossed my FB feed today: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/health/study-acetaminophen-dulls-empathy/index.html -- Huge if true!

It's real!

Although, as always, the conclusions will require additional research (and funding) for us to get to the bottom of this :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Epic High Five posted:

Should be mixed with MDMA to offset that imho

yeaaaa, paranoid anxiety attack, just what the Dr ordered to accompany a drop in empathy levels.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

botany posted:

"this red goes well with soggy fries at 4 AM when you're drunk"
That's how I got drunk in the first place!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/731240173736972293

What the gently caress is going on here

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Where the hell do these tracts even come from?

The Internet, it looks like.

I need these in my life like I need my Lord and Savior, Ronald Reagan:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Trump is either insane or a sociopath

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Daniel Bryan posted:

Trump is either insane or a sociopath

Why not both?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The Internet, it looks like.

I need these in my life like I need my Lord and Savior, Ronald Reagan:

The ones that don't remotely resemble real money are one thing. If someone left one of those along with an actual tip I'd just roll my eyes, but the ones that look identical to a folded up twenty only to reveal a giant godly "go gently caress yourself" on closer inspection are flat out evil.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Mark Halperin still dumb as hell

https://twitter.com/tomtomorrow/status/731249425880911872

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The ones that don't remotely resemble real money are one thing. If someone left one of those along with an actual tip I'd just roll my eyes, but the ones that look identical to a folded up twenty only to reveal a giant godly "go gently caress yourself" on closer inspection are flat out evil.

but the fake twenty tracts are far cheaper than $20 to produce for the giver so it's impossible to say whether they're evil or not

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

why the hell are you eating at places where the employees refuse to eat the food?

Well it's not like I can get orange chicken

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah this is one of the three main reasons why tipping still exists

customers love it because you can use any excuse to be a cheap bastard. look at any yelp review of any restaurant and see that like half of the reviews are people bitching about service

employers love it because you get your customers to subsidize your labor costs

also, servers love it (sometimes) because you get paid every night with a variable pile of lightly taxed cash. most places will keep your credit card tips and pay you their value on the spot when you cash out. it's great if you're a dumb young person or a drug addict, most servers are both

Some economist who studies tipping on npr recently reported

sounds like the common denominator is you, pal

really the role of servers/cashiers as an emotional sponge to yell at and demean is a critical part of foodservice. this is why people love the ability to tip

I can do that to a computer box already guilt free.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is incapable of handling any unexpected critisism. It's great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a study or survey about tipping a while ago and some respondents were against scrapping the tip system because holding a server's pay over their head and abusing them made them feel powerful and abolishing tips would take that power away from them.

They flat out said this.

And surprise surprise it's the well off men who get the maddest about it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

"Instinct and a little bit of reporting"="this is what I'm hoping will happen"

poo poo like this and Bloomberg or "innovation party" tickets are just projections of the inner desires of well-paid pundits, yet they continue to scratch their heads when brilliant ideas like this catch fire like wet wads of toilet paper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

radical meme posted:

Don't be willfully ignorant. I have legitimate concerns as to how Federal guidelines interpreting Title IX on gender identity in public grade schools will be accepted by the public at large. Right now, only one Federal court has accepted the Obama administrations interpretation of Title IX that gender identity is in fact a civil rights issue and that one decision was a 2-1 split in the 4th Circuit. I don't know of any polling that shows how this will be treated by the general public. Local control of public schools is an issue that cuts across party lines; it's not a conservative, liberal issue, every parent wants to have as much control as possible over their local public schools. But you can go ahead and be an rear end about it if you want to.

Your concerns are legitimate to you and nobody else. The right wing bigot shitheads are going to cry over this because Obama is preemptively slapping them down before more GOP held states pass laws like HB2.

School administrators aren't going to be concerned or confused over this and university leadership sure as gently caress aren't going to be concerned beyond "how much is this going to piss off the Alum we constantly ask for money?"

Squalid posted:

Fast food workers in my experience are terrible at doing those things though, and many servers are too. I can't count the number of times I've asked for recommendations and just got a stuttered nonsense response. I've had servers outright refuse to recommend anything. A computer that just spits out a random wine from the menu when asked for a pairing would be just as effective at recommendations as most servers. Probably less likely to make up a bullshit description of the bouquet too.

Unless you're at an establishment that makes it a point to educate the staff on their dishes, you shouldn't be asking your wait staff for their recommendations because in most cases if their recommendation isn't liked it all comes down on them be it the risk of a worse tip or the customer complaining to management. The person waiting your table at Applebee's isn't a food critic and they're only going to tell you exactly what their boss told them to say (if anything).

botany posted:

"With this one dollar menu burger we recommend the pinot"

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP83kn5aYxo

*Obligatory Hilary's going to pick herself as VP joke*

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lemming posted:

And surprise surprise it's the well off men who get the maddest about it.
I do remember reading some article about how a fairly upscale restaurant somewhere did away with tipping and the majority of complaints came from men who explicitly said they didn't like not having that control over the attractive female waitstaff.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cams posted:

what a relateable post that does not at all make me dream of guillotines

I'm sorry if this comes as a shock but you can't trust the 17-year-old working the register at Starbucks to tell you the difference between the French roast and the mid roast and if you think retailers will pass up the savings from automated checkout just so there's someone around to tell you how nutty the daily blend is, well, you may be surprised

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squalid posted:

I'm sorry if this comes as a shock but you can't trust the 17-year-old working the register at Starbucks to tell you the difference between the French roast and the mid roast and if you think retailers will pass up the savings from automated checkout just so there's someone around to tell you how nutty the daily blend is, well, you may be surprised

:laffo: you think starbucks has a roast setting other than plasma torched

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

if you have to ask someone about the differences in starbucks coffee then it doesn't matter anyway because the branding has not implanted itself properly in your mind for you to get the illusion of enjoyment

fact: the same is true of wine, you're buying the label not the contents

also there's a reason most retailers don't have kiosks that the customers use yet. all they have to do is take the same pos terminal and rotate it 180 degrees to face the customer. the technology is here. the reason retailers don't use it is because it's inefficient and bad for business for customers who are largely used to telling a person what they want using words

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Halperin thinks Hillary is going to pick Susan Collins?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're at an establishment that makes it a point to educate the staff on their dishes, you shouldn't be asking your wait staff for their recommendations because in most cases if their recommendation isn't liked it all comes down on them be it the risk of a worse tip or the customer complaining to management. The person waiting your table at Applebee's isn't a food critic and they're only going to tell you exactly what their boss told them to say (if

Which is exactly why nobody's going try and save that "service" when the robocalypse comes for the service industry.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

like seriously if you dont think that people being abusive to foodservice staff is an essential part of foodservice then please explain the existence of this horrible thing

this is why kiosks won't be widely adopted for a while, because you can't make them feel like crap

This specific one is probably illegal, especially if it's printed at the same size as a real bill, for what it's worth. Good luck getting anyone to care (go on, report it to the Secret Service as a counterfeit bill, see if they ever get back to you), but you can at least be a little smugger about the idiocy of the douchebags involved.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

Which is exactly why nobody's going try and save that "service" when the robocalypse comes for the service industry.

why do you think that restaurants don't commonly use touchpad kiosks despite the fact that people commonly use touchpad kiosks to order pizza and takeout chinese from home it's because people love to complain about how inept servers and cashiers are

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm on the executive board for a competitive high school snowboard organization in Oregon. At the beginning of this season we were approached as a board because one of our riders had been presenting as male for about 6 months but as the competition season was getting going he was having second thoughts about the comps and was wondering if he could compete against the girls instead of in the boys division. We didn't have any provisions in our rule book for such a situation so we had to default to the OASA (the state level athletic organizing body), but because he'd taken hormone treatments he had to compete with the boys.

Anyways, to my point. There were a couple of instances in our discussions where I had to correct other board members for making stupid statements. However, although I worked with the league he competed on a couple of times, and he qualified for State, I have absolutely no idea which of the riders from that school he is. Obviously with helmet, goggles, and face masks that most of the kids wear, "passing" as a male snowboarder isn't that difficult, but we did not have a single instance where any of the other kids said or did anything to draw attention to him. So basically, high school kids aren't as big of assholes. Coincidentally, the local news just did a segment asking high school kids from this school what they thought and none of them gave a gently caress. Shockingly, our 2nd rate local conservative talk radio douche (Lars Larson) is not a fan.

And as an aside, 1 of the coaches for that high school is polyamorous. I only know this because one of the other board members, a stay at home Christian suburban mom and it bothered her a whole bunch and she wouldn't shut up about it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

why do you think that restaurants don't commonly use touchpad kiosks despite the fact that people commonly use touchpad kiosks to order pizza and takeout chinese from home it's because people love to complain about how inept servers and cashiers are

I would guess a mix of institutional inertia, demand for conspicuous consumption via fancy waitstaff, and the challenge of serving old people like my dad who prefers waiting in line to using the self checkout at the grocery store.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One need only read Return From the Stars by Stanislaw Lem to see what we are moving toward, and then look around to see that we in America have no role in the future of the species and are honestly only holding everybody back at this point

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Inspired by fastfoodchat (and laziness) I grabbed some mcD's. The kid taking my order needed about 5 tries to get it right, and said "what the gently caress" over the drive thru speaker while he was trying to fix it. Because I'm not a horrible person without a sense of humor I busted up laughing, he got the order fixed and I was on my way. Someone who lives to poo poo on other people would have had a field day.

Also the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that said "I ride on the inside" and dogsagainstromney.com so now this is a politics-related shitpost.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
For what it's worth, France has had those exact McD's touch pad ordering kiosks for at least the last 3 years. They're not everywhere, but most places seem to have them outside of urban centers. And France has a roughly $10.50 minimum wage, and a much better social safety net than us still.

Oh and there's still a full kitchen staff. And they bring the food to you like a sit down restaurant.

They also had macaroons on the menu.

And their McCafe is a literal coffee bar.

Also this is for that loving retarded Porky's derail:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SubponticatePoster posted:

Inspired by fastfoodchat (and laziness) I grabbed some mcD's. The kid taking my order needed about 5 tries to get it right, and said "what the gently caress" over the drive thru speaker while he was trying to fix it. Because I'm not a horrible person without a sense of humor I busted up laughing, he got the order fixed and I was on my way. Someone who lives to poo poo on other people would have had a field day.

Also the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that said "I ride on the inside" and dogsagainstromney.com so now this is a politics-related shitpost.

What kind of lovecraftian incantation were you feeding to the guy as an order?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

I would guess a mix of institutional inertia, demand for conspicuous consumption via fancy waitstaff, and the challenge of serving old people like my dad who prefers waiting in line to using the self checkout at the grocery store.

poo poo, I prefer the line, but that's because the imps and gremlins I spent years exorcising from university printers and projectors are lying in wait to get payback.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My dad is mad about the Obama bathroom thing because "now they'll just be able to say Obama's making laws himself again and republicans are all going to vote against the drat bathrooms"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

im just waiting for some trans rights group to say something critical of clinton/obama so the same people vigorously championing their rights now can immediately go "I DONT APPRECIATE THEIR TONE ABOUT IT. WHY SHOULD WE TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY???" just like they did with BLM last month

No need to wait - the exact same people are already wringing their hands about trans people daring to mention that they should have rights in an election year. Gosh, it's almost as if their concern about social-justice tactics is just a mask for reactionary bigotry or something. Maybe if we repost the Letter from a Birmingham Jail for the eighteenth time, they'll realise how they're coming across, tone it down a little, and not escalate their whining about how minorities not being poo poo upon might mildly inconvenience them in some way.

Can we stop assuming Talmonis is arguing in good faith? Please?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why the hell do pundits even bother talking about crossover VP picks anymore? IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would like to remind this thread that there was a study done 3 years ago predicting which jobs will be automated in the next 20 years. Fast food is one of them. However, there are more commonly held jobs with better pay that are just as if not more likely to be automated. That poo poo is what we need to worry about because we don't have the social safety net needed to either relocate 47% of american workers into other jobs or otherwise provide them enough money to live.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I would like to remind this thread that there was a study done 3 years ago predicting which jobs will be automated in the next 20 years. Fast food is one of them. However, there are more commonly held jobs with better pay that are just as if not more likely to be automated. That poo poo is what we need to worry about because we don't have the social safety net needed to either relocate 47% of american workers into other jobs or otherwise provide them enough money to live.

I'm already planning on leading a neo-Luddite rebellion to plunder and smash up robots if things get near the breaking point, I recommend you do the same

There's pretty much 0% chance anything improves at all, much less enough, for the laboring class before we hit that point

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is bet the wages aren't nearly as big of a hit as health care where fast food places are required to provide them, or workmans comp or any of those other secondary costs. All of which could be avoided if we just provided universal health care.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

SedanChair posted:

Why the hell do pundits even bother talking about crossover VP picks anymore? IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Kerry totally would have won if he had picked McCain in 2004 though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The downfall of kiosks at fast food places will be the barely functioning morons trying to use them slowing everything down. Or the exact same thing that makes self checkouts at grocery stores terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Meat Recital posted:

Kerry totally would have won if he had picked McCain in 2004 though.

See that's what everybody says but look what happened. He picked Edwards rather than picking McCain. And wasn't that after he found out Edwards was a sociopath?

• Locked thread