Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Aren't third-party keyboards still super janky?

They were and then something happened and boom these two are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Neither the Google or Microsoft keyboards allow for a Spanish layout and that makes me sad.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The US store needs to stop hogging all these new keyboards.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Steely Glint posted:

Kind of? OS 9 is leagues better than 8, but they still suffer from draconian memory limits and a messy keyboard API. Instances of the keyboard getting randomly replaced by the stock one or other such annoyances occur less frequently and can be further mitigated by trimming your active keyboard list.

Basically try it out, you may be surprised! Or not, depending.
Asked in the iPhone thread but I guess might be more appropriate here, for anyone with a 6S or SE, is Nintype any better stability wise? It's been relatively solid compared to before but it still blows up occasionally on my 6.

As for Gboard, it's kinda neat for quick searching something, although it doesn't work for images into plain text fields since it only copies the image, vs the image + URL like if you copy an image in Safari.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

xzzy posted:

What the hell, google.

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/gboard-search-gifs-emojis-keyboard.html

A keyboard with embedded google searching.

I mean, the concept is kind of cool, they're kind of forcing multitasking into iOS, but given that keyboards in iOS can log every single key you enter, I really don't think hooking it up to a search engine is all that great an idea.

I'm a bit confused by your concerns, honestly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Every third party keyboard on iOS needs full access to work properly anyway so who knows what kind of poo poo all those other debts are pulling (and who cares)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one, apparently.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just got an iphone 6+ for work and I would like an app that puts the phone on mute/vibrate during set hours (say 11PM to 7AM) and then turns on the full volume ringer for the rest of the time. Is there an app that does this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Totally TWISTED posted:

I just got an iphone 6+ for work and I would like an app that puts the phone on mute/vibrate during set hours (say 11PM to 7AM) and then turns on the full volume ringer for the rest of the time. Is there an app that does this?

You don't need an app for this, it's built into the phone. Go to your settings app and pick Do Not Disturb. You can set a schedule there that effectively mutes the phone for the duration you set.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't need an app for this, it's built into the phone. Go to your settings app and pick Do Not Disturb. You can set a schedule there that effectively mutes the phone for the duration you set.

:monocle:

Thanks!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are the best iOS apps that'll show the usefulness of the Apple Pencil? I've gone through a few but a lot seem to not support the pressure sensitivity which is a drawback.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

What are the best iOS apps that'll show the usefulness of the Apple Pencil? I've gone through a few but a lot seem to not support the pressure sensitivity which is a drawback.

So far I like noteshelf and procreate.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Is it intended that I have to switch every single conversation and/or app to use the gboard?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

manwithoutskin posted:

Is it intended that I have to switch every single conversation and/or app to use the gboard?

No, that's an issue common to all 3p keyboards - the stock keyboard is very sticky. To stop that from happening, you have to move the keyboard you want to use to the top of the keyboards list in settings (or, for best results, remove from that list every keyboard except the one you want to use).

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

No one, apparently.

Stop being paranoid and enjoy life more. Don't use duckduckgo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're not my life supervisor!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Michael Scott posted:

Stop being paranoid and enjoy life more. Don't use duckduckgo.

DuckDuckGo owns though

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Not more than loving Google. Why do you think it's better than Google?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Michael Scott posted:

Not more than loving Google. Why do you think it's better than Google?

Because it's doesn't collect information about my habits for the benefit of everyone in the world, but me?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Are you so arrogant that you think anybody other than you cares or might in the future care about what you do online?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google cares a whole bunch, because your history is literally the product they sell. Without it they wouldn't be in business.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Michael Scott posted:

Are you so arrogant that you think anybody other than you cares or might in the future care about what you do online?

Nope, but I'm a human being that responds to incentives, and Google provides no incentives to me to use their search engine in exchange for the expansive amount of data they collect, especially when DuckDuckGo is about 80% as good as Google and doesn't collect that data.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

bobfather posted:

Nope, but I'm a human being that responds to incentives, and Google provides no incentives to me to use their search engine in exchange for the expansive amount of data they collect, especially when DuckDuckGo is about 80% as good as Google and doesn't collect that data.

Wouldn't the incentive be the 20% superior search engine?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Donald Kimball posted:

Wouldn't the incentive be the 20% superior search engine?

Only if you do the cost:benefit analysis and decide that the 20% of the time I have to scroll down the page in DuckDuckGo to find the right link (though typically still on the first page of results), versus having it be the number 1 link on Google is worth Google having extra information about me.

Also understand, no other search engine will easily close that 20% gap, because that 20% gap is precisely afforded to Google by their careful ingestion and analysis of data from cookies, tracking scripts, click-throughs, etc.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Michael Scott posted:

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about whether I walk around my apartment without a shirt on, but I still close my blinds.

I don't care whether someone gives a poo poo or cares about what I search for online, but I try to minimize being someone else's product as much as possible. This doesn't mean that Google is wrong and DDG is right, but DDG is a better search engine for me.

And, speaking from a functional angle, the !bang functions are great and save me a lot of time.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I care.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

Ah, the old "You don't have anything to hide, do you?"

Literally the dumbest argument against privacy.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

I'm sorry you had to see me in that state :sigh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

And, speaking from a functional angle, the !bang functions are great and save me a lot of time.
That's the main reason to use it over Google personally, the whole privacy angle is nice and all but ultimately not a huge deal to most people.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Having Google collect data isn't a cost to me at all. Like, in terms of your time? How do you measure this cost?

Besides, they already have my email and like every essay and letter I've ever written on Google docs and there's no loving way I'm switching to, like, GMX and Zoho for lovely alternatives that also collect whatever anyway. I guess you also run your own email server and insist that people use your FTP for collaborating on LibreOffice documents and only visit webpages viewable through Opera on your custom install of Arch Linux?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ok? I use Gmail and Google and stuff too, but clearly some people don't want to have their data mined by the big G and I don't know why any time people bring it up as a downside to using a Google service, nerds have to trip over themselves to prove that it's too late anyway and just give in to big data collection.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ok? I use Gmail and Google and stuff too, but clearly some people don't want to have their data mined by the big G and I don't know why any time people bring it up as a downside to using a Google service, nerds have to trip over themselves to prove that it's too late anyway and just give in to big data collection.

Well, it's not a thing we shouldn't care about but when someone mentions a cost:benefit analysis I kind of want to know the costs because I don't really see them, especially when the costs of the alternatives are so obviously huge. You basically have to rebuild and maintain all the services you use from scratch (or use hugely inconvenient workarounds) and abstain from popular sites like YouTube and Facebook and most blogs.

Unless it's just personal security theatre so you can convince yourself you're better than the sheeple who don't "get" privacy, which is probably where the vitriol comes from.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With Sunrise shutting down, what's a good calendar app to replace it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

With Sunrise shutting down, what's a good calendar app to replace it?

The answer is always Fantastical.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastical is very good.

I started using Gboard and they really did make third party keyboards usable. It's been awhile since I've tried (I think 9.0 on a 6S, maybe?) and they still seemed janky an unreliable then. Glad to see they've mostly fixed that. The keyboard's nice, too, though it would be nice if they used San Francisco like the rest of the OS, but that's a minor complaint.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Agreed. Gboard is great. I disabled the built-in keyboards and have just been using Gboard since it was released and haven't run into any issues.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I kinda miss the dictation button but dictation on the iOS is really terrible compared to android (never lets you correct wrong words using a similar word hover option).

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I never understood it since you spend more time dictating and then reading what it just wrote than you would just typing the thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've ever used dictation. I do miss the dark theme though of the stock keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What are you guys using for vpn on iPad?