Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

BIOS extension ROMs have always and will always be a thorn in the side of cross platform support. This is honestly not that big a deal except for the fact that apparently powerpc systems don't use a different "magic number" and checksum to identify the extension ROM as valid, which would have been an easy enough solution. I'm kinda surprised they didn't.

It SHOULD be possible to jam the card in an x86 box and reflash it to powerpc firmware.

The annoying thing is, the way PCs handle BIOS extension ROMs was created in the early 1980s for the IBM PC and apparently really hasn't changed. A ROM image looks like this:
0x55
0xAA
<number indicating the number of 512-byte blocks of machine code which this ROM takes up, minimum 4>
<executable code, which is called by the BIOS>
And then a checksum. The checksum? It's literally "whatever number is required to make all the bytes in the rom add up to 0, modula 256".

The system is supposed to ignore any extension ROM that doesn't start with the right magic number or doesn't checksum properly.

If PowerPC based systems had just used a different magic value (even just 0xAA 0x55) they wouldn't blindly execute x86 code and crash. It's pretty stupid that they did that, but not entirely surprising. Really, this is a hard problem (since many interesting devices that might need custom configuration at boot to work properly aren't something you'd expect, so you HAVE to support some sort of extension ROM, and the simplest answer is usually machine code) - Sun solved it by putting a Forth interpreter in their sbus systems and BIOS extensions were written in Forth, I believe, but that's out of the ordinary. The easy answer is a 2 or 4 byte magic number at the start of the ROM and if it's not valid, you ignore the ROM at boot and let the user install the right drivers and flash the proper firmware image after starting up sans the funky device.

e: back in college I used this info for pranks. I got ahold of an old 3com PCI ethernet card with the familiar netboot ROM socket (yes, that's just a socket for an eprom/eeprom with the right number of pins, and the host CPU will run the code off of it if you put the right magic number and checksum in!) and hacked up a couple hundred bytes of quick and dirty fake virus, burned it to an old 27Cxxx EPROM I had lying around, and snuck it all into a friend's desktop. He was nowhere near as amused as me when his PC showed every sign of having a horrible boot sector virus of some sort and wouldn't respond properly at all or even boot.

Yeah, all those checks are in place - this happens on Arm64 as well. The problem is, the card designers figured out how to bypass them (our scope indicates the card is somehow changing the magic number and check sum as needed, no idea why my guess is the hardware folks thought it would be clever), however their driver folks apparently can't figure out how to parse the output of "uname -a" to determine what arch they are running on. The driver can't properly figure out the correct firmware to load, and the card is designed to accept it at all costs and forcefully jam a square peg in a round hole.

Yes, it should be possible to take the card out, jam it in an x86 box and flash the correct firmware on it. Except the manufacturer refuses to provide the proper tool to do so, even though we've paid them $TEXAS and are supposed to be co-developing support for their products on certain platforms.

At this point, I've been told to stop working on this project and to move onto other tasks while upper management sorts out the politics. Since all the driver code is GPL, I've already looked at it and fixed 40 odd issues, but I can't ship em over the fence since apparently our contract doesn't permit source access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

With a suitable Envoy XL replacement going to be difficult to find... what do I need to know about GMC Acadia / Buick Envlaves in the '07-09 range? Are they a viable option? My wife didn't want the Envoy because it was too big for her comfort. She got used to it, but I don't want to go full-size GM SUV, just too big... but third-row seating is a must.

Sounds like prime candidate for a minivan......Or are you one of those "refuses to drive a minivan" kinda people?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Or are you one of those "refuses to drive a minivan" kinda people?

I know I am. My wife keeps trying to sell me on one. Is there actually a beast that would dare be called AI?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

Is there actually a beast that would dare be called AI?

That's what I was wondering. I liked the 4x4 and higher ground clearance with the Envoy. I'm not entirely "No minivan," but my wife is, so... welp.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

keykey posted:

I know I am. My wife keeps trying to sell me on one. Is there actually a beast that would dare be called AI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRj0wa_opc

If that's not AI, I don't know what is :colbert:

Same guy built/drives a ridiculous 1000hp 911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8oLaCgfL8

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Know what I love at 7am on a saturday? When you and all your meth head friends decide to have a dance party and run your stereo loud enough to rattle my windows and send your five frustrated hunting dogs into an infinite barkloop. Thanks, neighbour!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

keykey posted:

2013 Honda Odyssey owner here. The Odyssey is loving amazeballs. Ours is the "Touring Elite" trim level, bought it used about a year ago. It's got an HDMI port built in, and the screen splits inputs left and right. So with the addition of a Chromecast and a Verizon hotspot, we actually ran across Kansas last summer watching Netflix on one side and playing X-Box on the other. The audio is piped out to headsets with an A and B channel via infrared, which is kinda weird but whatever.

Also, it tows our camper really well.

The funny thing is though, neither of us drive it much. My wife likes her Mazda5 and I like my crappy cars and the ITR and the motorcycle. So it sits mostly waiting for another road trip, although we do use it on weekends frequently when the family is all going someplace together, or with friends. Its an amazingly versatile and useful vehicle, and it's surprisingly quick and maybe even a bit nimble if you are willing to push it. The driving experience seems to greatly discourage spirited driving though. The best way to describe the driving experience is to think about the stereotypical person that should be driving it. That's a person who's probably more engaged with just about anything and everything other than actually driving. So now if you're in the mindset of a non-driver who must somehow convey themselves from one place to the next, you'll find the Odyssey thoroughly enjoyable.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 13, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent three hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

Now it's pilsner and Archer to relax.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Also, it tows our camper really well.

:3: I grew up camping all over California in a pop-up like that, except ours was designed for offroading and had bigger tires/slightly beefier axle/frame stuff IIRC. Your kids will have many fond memories!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent the hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

What kind of bow? I much prefer shooting a recurve over a compound, at least for the target shooting I did back in college. The recurve felt a lot more intuitive to me, in that I could feel out where the arrow would go without messing with sighting or anything.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recurve with basic sight and no fancy gimmicks or accessories.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

trouser chili posted:

...Netflix and chill on the go..

SOLD!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I honestly really wish the drat thing could drive itself. Not that's it's bad to drive, but I'd rather sit in the back and jerk off to videos and poo poo. The middle seats are where it's at, like rolling down the road in my living room. So much space for activities. Also, sliding doors and kids are like peanut butter and jelly. I just don't know why you'd have one without the other.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

trouser chili posted:

Also, sliding doors and kids are like peanut butter and jelly. I just don't know why you'd have one without the other.

The big appeal to me always was that kids wouldn't be able to fling the door open into someone else's car.

Are minivans still super unsafe despite the reputation or is that a thing of the past?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was a minivan hater until I drove my sister's Odyssey. Good job Honda.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The big appeal to me always was that kids wouldn't be able to fling the door open into someone else's car.

Are minivans still super unsafe despite the reputation or is that a thing of the past?

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years. The NHTSA gives the current gen Odyssey five stars.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 13, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

trouser chili posted:

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years.

:captainpop:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent three hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

I help run an archery club, we don't go into crazy detail like that.

Guessing you've gone for an archery GB affiliated learning course though?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I honestly really wish the drat thing could drive itself. Not that's it's bad to drive, but I'd rather sit in the back and jerk off to videos and poo poo. The middle seats are where it's at, like rolling down the road in my living room.

This is how I feel about the Lexus LS430 we recently acquired. I wish I could just hire a driver to drive me around in it :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

trouser chili posted:

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years. The NHTSA gives the current gen Odyssey five stars.

It's cause they all drive around doing 15 under the limit.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I'm so sad that the club here are twats :( can I drive over your way and join yours?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Brigdh posted:

Yeah, all those checks are in place - this happens on Arm64 as well. The problem is, the card designers figured out how to bypass them (our scope indicates the card is somehow changing the magic number and check sum as needed, no idea why my guess is the hardware folks thought it would be clever), however their driver folks apparently can't figure out how to parse the output of "uname -a" to determine what arch they are running on. The driver can't properly figure out the correct firmware to load, and the card is designed to accept it at all costs and forcefully jam a square peg in a round hole.

Yes, it should be possible to take the card out, jam it in an x86 box and flash the correct firmware on it. Except the manufacturer refuses to provide the proper tool to do so, even though we've paid them $TEXAS and are supposed to be co-developing support for their products on certain platforms.

At this point, I've been told to stop working on this project and to move onto other tasks while upper management sorts out the politics. Since all the driver code is GPL, I've already looked at it and fixed 40 odd issues, but I can't ship em over the fence since apparently our contract doesn't permit source access.

drat, that sounds like a combination of awful politics, overly clever engineering, and bad driver/utility programming... my worst nightmare.

Can you have them do a site visit and fix your bricked poo poo... while logging i/o and memory accesses to figure out what a firmware flashing utility would have to do to make the magic happen?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

I help run an archery club, we don't go into crazy detail like that.

Guessing you've gone for an archery GB affiliated learning course though?

Yep yep yep, completed, certificate, joined the club and got an Archery gb membership.

Tomarse posted:

I'm so sad that the club here are twats :( can I drive over your way and join yours?

South Moorlands Archery Club, Cheadle. They're always open to new members, bunch of old people but they're a laugh. I think they have a Facebook page now :yayclod:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

This is how I feel about the Lexus LS430 we recently acquired. I wish I could just hire a driver to drive me around in it :v:

Haha! You got one? Where's the post to that effect? I missed it. Tell us, I miss my LS. It was a tank that did power slides, how could you ask for more?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Haha! You got one? Where's the post to that effect? I missed it. Tell us, I miss my LS. It was a tank that did power slides, how could you ask for more?

I posted pics in my shitbox thread :v:

It's a great car, I honestly feel like we stole it for what we paid. The wife loves it, she has a long commute in traffic so it's perfect for her.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

With a suitable Envoy XL replacement going to be difficult to find... what do I need to know about GMC Acadia / Buick Envlaves in the '07-09 range? Are they a viable option? My wife didn't want the Envoy because it was too big for her comfort. She got used to it, but I don't want to go full-size GM SUV, just too big... but third-row seating is a must.

Timing chain by huffy and disappearing oil plus the usual GM stuff. Avoid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Timing chain by huffy and disappearing oil plus the usual GM stuff. Avoid.

Yeah, I saw that it used the same crappy GM V6 with the timing chain issues. Damnit. There isn't even an option with those cars, the 3.6 comes on all of them. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does anyone have experience with vinyl plank flooring? I'm going to replace the carpet in my office and bedroom with *something* and although I'd love to put in hardwood, it's just too spendy. I'm looking at LVP since it doesn't have the "your floor is ruined if water sits on it too long" issue and I'm thinking about getting a dog at some point in the future. It's also a decent price (like $2-2.50/sq. ft.). I've just never used it before.

It's incredibly easy to install if you're even slightly handy. My brother and installed it in every room of the second floor of our mothers house. Just buy a cheap install kit at Harbor Freight, watch a few videos on YT and go for it.

It also helps to have a chop saw handy, cutting the planks by hand sucks. And if you want to go crazy and have a dremmel for fitting around small things like closet corners it doesn't hurt to have that around.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kris_b posted:

Sorry you have to go through all that, I recently had to deal with a similar situation with my grandma. But holy wow, if he's incompetent, about half of the stuff you're doing is very very illegal here at least, and I can't see Australian law being much different.

Process we went through, roughly, was:
1: Grandma has a stroke
2: Doctors say she's incompetent, testify as such (via affidavit)
3: Goes through the courts, all concerned parties (next of kin - us grandkids) can object, ask for second medical opinion etc, which we didn't, we were all in agreement
4: Someone, ideally not a beneficiary of her will but this can be waived, is appointed power of attorney over her estate. (Here at least, power of attorney applies to the financial side, there can be a separate person appointed with responsibility for her medical care)
5: The person with power of attorney can then legally sell the assets.

I assume you're at the point where he's not legally declared incompetent and is not going to be and you're kind of skirting around all that. Just make sure your own rear end is covered too, it could come back and bite you.

I have all the power of attorney paperwork, but for some reason the state government won't allow that to happen. Trust me I have been following the rule of law with this as closely as possible, as I don't want this to bite me on the arse

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you have power of attourney? Can you get a judgement that he is unfit to conduct his own affairs? Honestly think that's more the road you need to be going down.

I have power of attorney, but for some reason the State Government demands that I have my father's details as he (as well as I) has his name on the title of the property.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Try Macaw. Not free, but the code that it'll spit out is pretty good—probably one of the best markup generation engines out there, tbh.

ETA: Oh, hey, it is free now!

This looks really cool, but I won't be able to install it at work. Anything similar that I can run in a browser?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

Drink some milk or eat some yogurt.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Be careful going to the bathroom :supaburn:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

we once put crushed habenero seed powder in a pair of gloves at Jimmy Johns. Our manager put them on and made sandwiches like normal. She went to the bathroom and the screams we heard were hilarious and terrifying.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Found out yesterday that if you just order a "regular coffee" at Tim Hortons it means double double.

No wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

I thought a regular from Tim's was an ounce of bull semen, a tablespoon of Borax and steeped in faux-nationalistic bullshit OH WAIT THATS EVERYTHING THEY SELL but yeah a regular has definitely been a 1c1s every time I've seen one

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

drat, that sounds like a combination of awful politics, overly clever engineering, and bad driver/utility programming... my worst nightmare.

Can you have them do a site visit and fix your bricked poo poo... while logging i/o and memory accesses to figure out what a firmware flashing utility would have to do to make the magic happen?

I mostly shrug my shoulders and try not to think about it too much. If I do, I start wondering how the world keeps spinning, because I've run into these issues at pretty much every big company. It can be downright scary what half baked crap ships and makes money. Even through I like what I do, and think on the whole, everything is pretty good, every so often I hit one of these scenarios where I think for a minute, maybe I just want to walk away from it all and go do something else that is the antithesis of technology, like be a construction worker or something.

My boss is pretty chill about it. Understands there isn't much I can realistically do, and my time would be better spent elsewhere. Its not like we don't have a mountain of work to do. My bosses boss is pretty pissed about the whole thing - I'm pretty sure he is demanding some engineers fly out first thing to make it right. If they do make it out, everything will get logged.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
If ya'll can't enjoy a nice coffee flavored water from Tims then I don't even know.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

You Am I posted:

I have power of attorney, but for some reason the State Government demands that I have my father's details as he (as well as I) has his name on the title of the property.

Doesn't having power of attorney mean that your signature legally counts as his? How can they make a distinction? nm?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

Doesn't having power of attorney mean that your signature legally counts as his? How can they make a distinction? nm?

You am I is in Australia so I'm not sure if there is a distinction, but in the US it recognizes you are acting legally in their interest AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Australia has some really dumb property laws because of stupid reasons iirc

I don't remember the exact reasons but some of them were either outdated or purposely annoying

• Locked thread