Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the new hirasawa song from the trailer may eclipse forces as the best berserk music. it's still too early to call it since the whole song isn't even available yet but it sounds appropriately berserk from the 30 seconds we've got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guts is the best one, so it can go ahead and eclipse Forces all it wants.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ghosts and Murder are both better than either of those.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

dogsicle posted:

Guts is the best one, so it can go ahead and eclipse Forces all it wants.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sign from the PS2 game is also really good

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I've seen multiple Guts, a Griffith and a Lady Farnese, but you know who I haven't seen who I thought deserved it?

AZAN BESTO GIRL! OHH YEAH!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That mustache isn't nearly magnificent enough :colbert:

It's a shame you can't use the books the evangelists have, so you can't really cosplay Mozgus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Guts, Ghosts and Murder work the best within the show itself, but Forces is the most listenable out-of-context

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The Abyss Watchers armor is basically Guts blackwordsman armor, built for Berserk dress up.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Guts, Ghosts and Murder work the best within the show itself, but Forces is the most listenable out-of-context

Behelit works within the show too. Every iteration of Forces including Forces 2 has been great.

muike posted:

Sign from the PS2 game is also really good

I found Sign 2 to be more memorable as it captures Guts' story well imo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Earth a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ak_jATqoRc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All six tracks from from the Berserk TV series are amazing.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
We all know that Tell Me Why is the real best Berserk song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rV8oKWSdM

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/challenging-the-manga-dojos-r18763/

interview manga with miura

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I suppose I should get around to translating the rest of those but, uhhh, I'm washing my hair tonight. And every night, forever

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The Abyss Watchers armor is basically Guts blackwordsman armor, built for Berserk dress up.

And the Outrider Knight set is straight up the Berserk armor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is the title true?! Are they off the boat?! Checking this every two years always makes the wait seem easier.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is the title true?! Are they off the boat?! Checking this every two years always makes the wait seem easier.

Yes. We got like 6 months of monthly chapters and now there's gonna be a new anime so Miura's busy working on that instead.

Or possibly Idolm@ster!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Of course there is. Third times a charm I guess.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Solice Kirsk posted:

Of course there is. Third times a charm I guess.

It's CG but it looks okay, certainly not as bad as the Dreamcast-esque stuff in the movies.

More importantly, it's actually finally going post-Eclipse! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxU5IpKpM0

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really hate that low frame-rate thing that anime CG does, it looks so bad. People were discussing it a few dozen pages ago, and I really hate it. I enjoyed the golden age movies anyways but some of the scenes are nearly unwatchably bad because of it.

And the recent starfox CG videos did the same exact thing. I don't know why Japanese CG studios think that looks cool or more like anime, it just looks bad and dumb. And there's plenty of anime like Helsing or Ghost in the Shell which use CG but do it at normal smooth frame rates.

That trailer still gets me pumped.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Any other property and I might care what it looks like. But it's Berserk. So even if they did sock puppets I would still be pumped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm hoping for Faerie arc so bad.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Next month is the start of summer when it was clued in to continue. I'm gonna be optimistic and hope for an early autumn release.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

StalkofWheat posted:

We all know that Tell Me Why is the real best Berserk song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rV8oKWSdM

To the person that decided to make this the OP I say 'put your grasses on'

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Next month is the start of summer when it was clued in to continue. I'm gonna be optimistic and hope for an early autumn release.

...They've already said it would start airing in July?

edit: OH wait, the manga, nevermind nothing to see here

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They still haven't said the release date, but it'll be airing on Crunchyroll in the west, and here's an article with some of the staff's comments on the series translated;
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/05/11/berserk-staff-and-cast-comment-on-this-summers-new-anime

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

They still haven't said the release date, but it'll be airing on Crunchyroll in the west, and here's an article with some of the staff's comments on the series translated;
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/05/11/berserk-staff-and-cast-comment-on-this-summers-new-anime

quote:

Sagisu Shirou (Music)

In Helsinki around thirty years ago, with temperatures falling below -20C day after day,
I was recording while heating myself up each afternoon with reindeer stew and a local spirit as strong as vodka. Following the saying of "Controlling bears has always been part of Nordic DNA," I one day ordered a dish made of high-grade Bear meat, and the entire restaurant broke out into applause. My colleague took one bite of the bear meat and yelled out "I have defeated bearhood!" in such a loud voice that it resonated in the mountains of snow piled out outdoors.

I was told that in Old Norse, "Berserk" referred to warriors who wore bear skin and let out war cries that made them sound insane.

Since then, I have visited Scandinavia more than a hundred times. Strangely enough, the offers to work on the movies and the TV series both came while I was on jobs there. I sense fate at work here.

Since I love dark fantasy—no. Since I respect and admire Miura Kentarou and Hirasawa Susumu, facing up to this work makes me feel as though I am heading out to battle.

And the curtain has risen on battle, to create music resembling the cries of warriors that pierce and echo across the wintry skies!

Haha, holy poo poo, this guy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sazabi posted:

Any other property and I might care what it looks like. But it's Berserk. So even if they did sock puppets I would still be pumped.
Same. Everyone is complaining about CGI, I am just happy to move past the goddamn Eclipse for the first time in 30 years. (in animated form)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Harlock posted:

Same. Everyone is complaining about CGI, I am just happy to move past the goddamn Eclipse for the first time in 30 years. (in animated form)

Nah, we need another reboot to go back to the beginning of the golden age so we can completely retread that yet again.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I do kinda wish there was an animated one stop shop for berserk instead of like 3 different series that all only tell part of the story but I'm also hyped to see lost children since thats prolly my favorite part of the manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean i'm willing to be proven wrong but tv anime cg like this has yet to look good, and i'd rather have no anime than something like Sidonia. even a normal anime was going to pale in comparison to the manga art, but this is just...lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, this guy

Shame the music he did for the movies was so generic and boring then.
He composed Evangelion so he's capable of much better stuff.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I've never seen any animated Berserk thing aside from the gag reel of the 90s OVA dub. Should I just skip the 90s OVA and watch the movies? I can handle bad CGI, the only thing that will be jarring for me is deep voiced Skull Knight since I've always imagined him sounding like a more somber and serious Skeletor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The 90s show wasn't an OVA, but it's decent. Cheaply made for sure, but it often looks nice and occasionally looks really good. It's well acted and has a great soundtrack. It does cut a lot but so do the movies, which are also gently caress ugly. I can't recommend them over the show in all honesty, the third movie is alright but the first two are clumsy as poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The show is how I got into it, but a lot of it isn't really "animated." Good art, better than some of the manga (as he evolved as it went), but the art is basically a lot of sliding images. Also missing a few important things. But still, a decent truncated version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I've never seen any animated Berserk thing aside from the gag reel of the 90s OVA dub. Should I just skip the 90s OVA and watch the movies? I can handle bad CGI, the only thing that will be jarring for me is deep voiced Skull Knight since I've always imagined him sounding like a more somber and serious Skeletor.

The TV series is about as good as a low budget show from 1998 is gonna get and absolutely nails the Berserk atmosphere, but it definitely stretches the definition of 'animation' at times.
The movies are bad CGI that cuts out almost everything apart from the iconic scenes, some parts are good enough just for that and some parts are ruined by looking like a PS2 cutscene.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The movies are awful just from the perspective of "would you understand why things are happening if it's the only Berserk media you ever saw."

Gutts childhood is completely cut
Casca's backstory (and thus the reason she's so loyal to Griffith) is completely cut.
The Adonis/Julius assassination is shortened, to the point where it's not really clear that it's one of the main reasons Guts leaves the BotH
Just generally a lot of conversations/monologues about Griffith and Guts' outlook and differences are cut or comically truncated

There's a lot of other stuff left out as well, some of which could be justified because they're movies with a finite run-time (see: the queen's plot and subsequent assassination)... but they also insert random garbage like the ballroom dance, so it's not like they were right up against the limit either.

The TV anime isn't complete by any means but most of what it cuts makes sense in that it preserves the focus on Griffith, Guts, and Casca's relationship with each other, and omits characters and events that would only make sense if the post-Eclipse stuff were there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think the cartoon is better than the movies in a lot of ways. The CG animation is bad and they only cover the major plot points of golden arc, the show fills in a good bit more and stays closer to the manga's story. The cartoon animation is bad too though, but I can tolerate that more? IDK. They're both worth watching because BERSERK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the answer is always to re-read the manga while playing the anime ost as background music.

e: hell, the movie osts have some good tracks too.