Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

T2 easter egg in the new DOOM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2JQQSHRjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That arm positioning doesn't make any sense.

Confirmed bad game.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
http://i.imgur.com/iKPD1GP.webm

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
My favourite thing in games is where I'm playing them and remember than they convicted the woman who killed my bother's wife and kid

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FAROOQ posted:

My favourite thing in games is where I'm playing them and remember than they convicted the woman who killed my bother's wife and kid

:stare:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Doom seems like it's going to be a repeat of fallout 4 where it's not going to have any substance past the little things put in to build hype and impress reviewers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rodbeard posted:

Doom seems like it's going to be a repeat of fallout 4 where it's not going to have any substance past the little things put in to build hype and impress reviewers.

PERSON WHO HAS PLAYED DOOM: This is a fun game.

PERSON WHO HASN'T PLAYED DOOM: You think that's fun you're feeling???

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard posted:

If it's lucky, it'll turn out like MGR and just be A Really Fun Game to Play. TM

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

If it's lucky, it'll turn out like MGR and just be A Really Fun Game to Play. TM

This is definitely the impression I'm getting from the first two levels. It's really dumb, it knows it's really dumb, and it is incredibly fun so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

PERSON WHO HAS PLAYED DOOM: This is a fun game.

PERSON WHO HASN'T PLAYED DOOM: You think that's fun you're feeling???

People who played the introduction to fallout 4 said it was the best thing ever, too.

I'm still just cautiously optimistic about the new doom though, I haven't played it yet but nothing I've seen about it has me really convinced it'll win me over. But at the same time I was never one of those dedicated fans of the original so who cares.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You gotta give a game three levels unless you're struggling with the controls to the point that it seems impossible to play like Wonderful 101. It's not really safe to say 'Oh, Super Meat Boy isn't that hard at all!' While on the first stage, after all.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
What are you the loving gaming police!?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

What are you the loving gaming police!?

I'm in the gaming NSA

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Crosspost from the Doom thread but Doom 4 owns. My fav thing so far in that game is that Doomguy is such an angry rear end in a top hat. Find a robot holding a weapon upgrade? PUNCH IT IN THE FACE. Find a stat upgrade? CRUSH IT LIKE A SODA CAN. Someone telling you to politely shut something down? DON'T CARE, DOOMGUY SMASH!

It's also refreshing to play an FPS where the story is kept in the trunk bound and gagged like it was in the old days. Doomguy has like zero character development, that's totally fine by me. It's like the game knows you're here to RIP AND TEAR so it keeps the pesky story cutscenes down to a minimum, unlike the new Wolfensteins where 75% of the time BJ crawls through a vent or opens a door he gets punked by an unarmed Nazi because plot reasons, when during normal gameplay he's slaughtering heavily armed and heavily armored ones by the dozens. TNO and TOB still own but that one kinda irked me about those games so I'm glad Doom 4 doesn't have any of that.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 04:26 on May 14, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
But the new Wolfensteins own anyhow so it's ok.

E:. One of the pointless touches in that game is that hitting the reload button on the knives flips them in your hands so you can run around just tossing your nazi knives around.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 04:18 on May 14, 2016

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I do like how in the Old Blood if you do a melee finisher with the dual pipes he'll just jam the sharp end into their skull and have blood gush out of the pipe like a fountain. Mmmmm.....Nazi blood smoothies.......

And the stabbing competitions you can get into in both TNO and TOB will never not be funny

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 04:23 on May 14, 2016

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

My favorite little things in Stellaris are the observation events. A little while after I started aggressively observing a primitive species, one of the crew took a ship and started burning crop circles into the ground with the ship's engines. This turned the natives into Fanatic Spiritualists because they thought it was a sign from a god.

e: also one of the possible outcomes is the natives forming X-COM to fight you.

Swedish Horror has a new favorite as of 05:01 on May 14, 2016

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

My favorite little things in Stellaris are the observation events. A little while after I started aggressively observing a primitive species, one of the crew took a ship and started burning crop circles into the ground with the ship's engines. This turned the natives into Fanatic Spiritualists because they thought it was a sign from a god.

e: also one of the possible outcomes is the natives forming X-COM to fight you.

Welp, I need to play this game now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Been playing Uncharted 4 and there are so many awesome little touches in the game, at one point you can buy an apple from a street vendor and go pet a lemur and then the lemur follows you and steals your apple and you get a trophy for it :buddy:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Uncharted 4 starts out with you driving a boat being chased by other boats but your boat is better than 90% of the ones chasing you so you can just ram them and they flip out and toss everyone riding them into the water like you just shot the tires out of a car in Sleeping Dogs.

But if they try to ram into you they just kinda collide for a bit and then get destroyed regardless! So it's like you finally get to be an enemy with touch damage!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RareAcumen posted:

Uncharted 4 starts out with you driving a boat being chased by other boats but your boat is better than 90% of the ones chasing you so you can just ram them and they flip out and toss everyone riding them into the water like you just shot the tires out of a car in Sleeping Dogs.

But if they try to ram into you they just kinda collide for a bit and then get destroyed regardless! So it's like you finally get to be an enemy with touch damage!

Speaking of which, in Megaman Legends 2, you can upgrade your armor to the point to where you can walk into weaker Reaverbots and knock them to the ground where they'll explode.

EMBRACE YOUR INNER GOOMBA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Starhawk64 posted:

Crosspost from the Doom thread but Doom 4 owns. My fav thing so far in that game is that Doomguy is such an angry rear end in a top hat. Find a robot holding a weapon upgrade? PUNCH IT IN THE FACE. Find a stat upgrade? CRUSH IT LIKE A SODA CAN. Someone telling you to politely shut something down? DON'T CARE, DOOMGUY SMASH!

It's also refreshing to play an FPS where the story is kept in the trunk bound and gagged like it was in the old days. Doomguy has like zero character development, that's totally fine by me. It's like the game knows you're here to RIP AND TEAR so it keeps the pesky story cutscenes down to a minimum, unlike the new Wolfensteins where 75% of the time BJ crawls through a vent or opens a door he gets punked by an unarmed Nazi because plot reasons, when during normal gameplay he's slaughtering heavily armed and heavily armored ones by the dozens. TNO and TOB still own but that one kinda irked me about those games so I'm glad Doom 4 doesn't have any of that.

The best part is there's a guy walking Doom Guy through the steps to shut these machines down carefully over the radio while you watch him poke and examine various bits of it trying to figure out what the gently caress that guy is referring to.

And then Doom Guy just kicks the poo poo out of it until it's smashed despite being begged not to :allears:.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Adorable.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stellaris lets you form Federations! One step above an Alliance and one step below full-blown inter-empire annexation.

It even formed organically too, as our little quadrant of space initially had 7 independent empires, until one gobbled two others. The rest of us immediately started talking and formed a federation to counter the now massive superblob on our borders.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing the FFX pc port has made me realize that, much like Cloud, peoples' memories of Tidus versus how he actually is in the game are completely at odds. He hardly ever whines or mopes, most of his time he's some dumb but enthusiastic jock gawking at the crazy world he's wound up in and when he does complain about his dad it's usually in scenes directly related to people who knew his dad or his own childhood flashbacks. Even the infamous laughing scene is intentionally goofy and awkward and even referencing an earlier scene where he and Yuna blow off some steam by yelling awkwardly at nothing.

Also I love that for once your party going on an epic quest to save the world is something everybody knows about and actively supports; almost every NPC you talk with is gushing about how psyched they are to meet a real Summoner and cheering you on and giving you free items as offerings. And by the time you leave the starting village you have a party of five people so it properly feels like a group of people going on a quest instead of a lot of other RPGs where you're a ragtag group and don't get a full suite of characters until the end of the first act.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Mann posted:

Playing the FFX pc port has made me realize that, much like Cloud, peoples' memories of Tidus versus how he actually is in the game are completely at odds. He hardly ever whines or mopes, most of his time he's some dumb but enthusiastic jock gawking at the crazy world he's wound up in and when he does complain about his dad it's usually in scenes directly related to people who knew his dad or his own childhood flashbacks. Even the infamous laughing scene is intentionally goofy and awkward and even referencing an earlier scene where he and Yuna blow off some steam by yelling awkwardly at nothing.

Also I love that for once your party going on an epic quest to save the world is something everybody knows about and actively supports; almost every NPC you talk with is gushing about how psyched they are to meet a real Summoner and cheering you on and giving you free items as offerings. And by the time you leave the starting village you have a party of five people so it properly feels like a group of people going on a quest instead of a lot of other RPGs where you're a ragtag group and don't get a full suite of characters until the end of the first act.

FFX is surprisingly well-done story-wise. Some of the acting's not so great, sure, but it's a unique post-apocalypse setting with actually compelling characters.

I was surprised when replaying it just how good a character Auron is. Just like how Retrospective Nerd-Memory misremembers Tidus as way worse than he is, I expected Auron to be one of those 'badass' characters that's cool to kids but honestly kind of lovely as a character. But he's not, he's actually a compelling and interesting mentor figure that happens to also be a badass.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

People just seem to be really determined to poo poo on FFX for some reason, but most of the characters do get some level of development even if it does tend to be a bit heavy handed. Wakka stops being racist and learns to think for himself, Tidus goes from hating his dad and being bewildered and confused to accepting that poo poo happens but you don't have to just sit there and take it. Yuna's entire arc is growing a spine.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Guy Mann posted:

There's a line at Besaid where he says "It was funny hearing myself make the same excuse over and over. Funny, and a little sad." about the Sin Toxin. It's a great line because despite being a goofy extraverted character, he's not so impulsive that he can't see himself from other points of view. It humanizes the character a lot for me, and it's just a quick little aside.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Cleretic posted:

FFX is surprisingly well-done story-wise. Some of the acting's not so great, sure, but it's a unique post-apocalypse setting with actually compelling characters.

I was surprised when replaying it just how good a character Auron is. Just like how Retrospective Nerd-Memory misremembers Tidus as way worse than he is, I expected Auron to be one of those 'badass' characters that's cool to kids but honestly kind of lovely as a character. But he's not, he's actually a compelling and interesting mentor figure that happens to also be a badass.

Auron is absolutely my favorite FF character. The blitzball opening with Other World was awesome, I don't care how nerdy or geeky people think it is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Auron is absolutely my favorite FF character. The blitzball opening with Other World was awesome, I don't care how nerdy or geeky people think it is.

The wannabe Rammstein song for that segment is both hilarious and awesome and I won't hear otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkdNTPrndcI

It also reminds me how much I love the way that they handled Sin; you don't get an actual look at it for the first act of the game, all you see is it obscured in a bubble of water or a lone fin poking out of the ocean. Then when you do see it it's obscured by its crazy techno-magic attacks and weird filters anf hectic camerawork, then at the end of the game when you're strong enough to take it on you see it in full as the weird flesh fish monster it is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

Also I love that for once your party going on an epic quest to save the world is something everybody knows about and actively supports; almost every NPC you talk with is gushing about how psyched they are to meet a real Summoner and cheering you on and giving you free items as offerings.

I always liked how when you go to fight evrae (the dragon on the airship), tidus calls out Rin for charging them for items, pointing out that if they all die then any profit he'd gain would be pointless, and he says "I'm confident you'll win".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always liked how when you go to fight evrae (the dragon on the airship), tidus calls out Rin for charging them for items, pointing out that if they all die then any profit he'd gain would be pointless, and he says "I'm confident you'll win".

I love that moment so much.

Tidus is a lot greater than people remember I also think the game deserves slack for being the first voiced Final Fantasy. A lot of writing that works in previous Final Fantasy games would sound terrible if it was voice acted so I think the writers just weren't used to the change over. Also the laughing scene isn't as bad as people say. Auron is great because of all his "I am so loving done with these rear end in a top hat monsters" moments.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wish more games would do the goldeneye/perfect dark thing where difficulty settings weren't just straight "tougher enemies/less ammo" (although that was part of it), but adding different objectives as well.

A few pages back but--

No one plays the PS Vita, so this is the biggest hurdle to enjoying it, but Killzone: Mercenary was an incredibly enjoyable FPS and it had a Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-esque mission system. Each campaign mission had four different routes for accomplishing it: there was the standard "Primary" route which basically just involved achieving your primary objectives, leaving you to beat the mission with whatever gadget or weapon load-out you wanted; the "Precision" routes, where you aim to beat missions with the highest efficiency, sticking to highly accurate weapons, tasked with head-shotting key targets, eliminating armour in the quickest way possible, minimizing civilian casualties, all while completing your objectives within a certain time limit; the "Covert" routes, where you rely on stealth, tranquilizers, flashbangs, and other silenced weapons in order to stealth large segments of levels; and the "Demolition" route where the game says, gently caress it, take all the big expensive ordnance into a level and blow up loving everything.

Within each of those routes you still have your standard Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulties, but being able to tackle the campaign with a preferred playstyle then go back and try it with a different set of objectives was really satisfying. Oh, I mentioned gadgets earlier too--you earn money as you play for doing all sorts of things and you get to spend it on new weapons, armour, grenades, and gadgets. Unless the mission route specifies a certain weapon or item, you get customize your load-out for each mission and play however the gently caress you want, and can swap them out at weapon vendors mid-mission. The gadgets are awesome and range from shoulder-mounted homing missiles and electric bodyguard drones to personal energy shields and Predator stealth camouflage. The best drone is the silent remote-control hover bot that allows you to stealth kill enemies by latching it onto their heads and impaling with its spiked claws:

It's incredibly satisfying to clear out an entire area using one of those.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If actually speaking it out loud is all it takes to make dialogue bad, it wasn't good writing to start with.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Internet Wizard posted:

If actually speaking it out loud is all it takes to make dialogue bad, it wasn't good writing to start with.

Pretty much. The story in FFX holds up because it's neat and original, but the cringe-worthy parts no matter how overanalyzed still are cringey because the whole game is kinda corny. The wedding subplot so felt like it only got to stick around because drat it someone spent a lot of time designing that stupid dress and by God we're gonna use it!

I do like how endgame grinding works though, I forgot how the XP requirements cap out for sphere levels, so everyone starts getting world destroyingly powerful so fast.

And at least in my game, the Aurochs are now untouchable like some kind of Blitzball Globetrotters. Your dreams are still alive, Wakka. :unsmith:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Blind Sally posted:

A few pages back but--

No one plays the PS Vita, so this is the biggest hurdle to enjoying it, but Killzone: Mercenary was an incredibly enjoyable FPS and it had a Perfect Dark/Goldeneye-esque mission system. Each campaign mission had four different routes for accomplishing it: there was the standard "Primary" route which basically just involved achieving your primary objectives, leaving you to beat the mission with whatever gadget or weapon load-out you wanted; the "Precision" routes, where you aim to beat missions with the highest efficiency, sticking to highly accurate weapons, tasked with head-shotting key targets, eliminating armour in the quickest way possible, minimizing civilian casualties, all while completing your objectives within a certain time limit; the "Covert" routes, where you rely on stealth, tranquilizers, flashbangs, and other silenced weapons in order to stealth large segments of levels; and the "Demolition" route where the game says, gently caress it, take all the big expensive ordnance into a level and blow up loving everything.

It's incredibly satisfying to clear out an entire area using one of those.

Killzone for the vita is also a really fun multiplayer. One of the few games where I spent a lot of time multiplayer forgetting there was also a campaign attached to it. I really like that they use the missile drop (if you hack it you get a power up) to lure people out from hiding.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Voice direction counts for a lot though. It's rather infamous by now but they were basically forced to match the dialogue to the Japanese character mouth movements so some characters, like Auron, were able to have a lot more freedom with their character's delivery because their mouth isn't normally visible due to crazy final fantasy clothes. Meanwhile characters who frequently got full facial camera views got lines like "Withyunabymyside" all rushed out in like, less than a second because the English sentence was way longer than whatever was said in Japanese.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

What Nuebot said but also yes I am agreeing with you. The writing could be very bad in parts but not worse than the other games in the series which people think have good writing comparatively.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm glad people are coming around to liking FFX because it's my favorite FF game and in my top 5 games.

The reveal of Auron, the best character, being dead out of spite was great. He spat in the face of oblivion because he had more important poo poo to do. Tidus being a dream or whatever was a little more telegraphed but still shocking.
Yuna is one of those characters that I tend to hate because I used to be really impatient with timid people. Her growth, even though is subtle, showed a young me that everyone knows more than you about something.

That's a lot of words about a dumb anime game but I guess I played it just the right age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I'm glad people are coming around to liking FFX because it's my favorite FF game and in my top 5 games.

The reveal of Auron, the best character, being dead out of spite was great. He spat in the face of oblivion because he had more important poo poo to do. Tidus being a dream or whatever was a little more telegraphed but still shocking.
Yuna is one of those characters that I tend to hate because I used to be really impatient with timid people. Her growth, even though is subtle, showed a young me that everyone knows more than you about something.

That's a lot of words about a dumb anime game but I guess I played it just the right age.

Unironically agree