Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I like biking on the road, but they do not belong on limited access highways. At all. Full stop. I won't say that guy got what he deserved, but he certainly got what could be expected.

I don't agree that they shouldn't be allowed on roads that are 50 or 55. If you're in a rural area most roads have that speed limit. It requires a lot of caution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Vanagoon posted:

The argument in the bikers favor seems to be that he has the right to be doing the incredibly stupid and dangerous thing because the law allows him to, therefore it is his right, regardless how much sense it makes.

Seems to be the cyclists version of gently caress You, Got Mine. IMHO.

gently caress You, Got Mine, Got Splattered By An 18-Wheeler.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Kinda like those girls who drink alcohol and wear revealing clothes, am I right? :jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's in the constitution, victim blaming is cool if they're on a bicycle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laugh at horrible poo poo if you want to, this is SA, but when the argument has degraded into "gently caress you I hope you get hit", you've gone way too far. As much as I think riding a bike on a road like that is a bad idea, all of you would be bitching about the truck driver for that if it wasn't a bicycle that got hit. Calm the gently caress down, lay off the victim blaming, and find a topic other than "CYCLISTS ARE ON MAH ROADS".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > These are NOT THE CYCLISTS you share a road with

ffs

:allbuttons:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm gonna go cycle around in circles in front of Vanagoon's driveway.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That truck broke the law, but the cyclists were most likely breaking the law by even being on that road. Everyone hosed up, but the situation wouldn't have even existed if they hadn't been on a road they had no business riding on.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Look not a cyclist. Objects in camera are closer than they appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwuOSPs-KRs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That truck broke the law, but the cyclists were most likely breaking the law by even being on that road. Everyone hosed up, but the situation wouldn't have even existed if they hadn't been on a road they had no business riding on.

A bit of googling has found a few suggestions that cyclists are allowed on all roads in Russia, which is where this happened.

But we've got gigabytes worth of video evidence suggesting that Russian roads are lawless in general and any time you enter traffic you are at significant risk of being murdered or maiming another human, so maybe that doesn't help the cyclists out all that much.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Every day on the way to and from work I see people looking at phones sitting at green lights, getting onto the interstate on ramp (seen this morning) weaving down the road, driving obliviously from one place to another. Every day.

I think we are going to need a big public awareness push about phones and driving like drinking and driving went through ~30 years ago.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

That truck driver is a reckless, dangerous idiot, who was absolutely in the wrong. However, being on a highway on a bicycle seems like a stupid idea anywhere, least of all Russia.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

I think we are going to need a big public awareness push about phones and driving like drinking and driving went through ~30 years ago.

It's going to be a tough push to make when modern cars essentially have iPads in the dashboard to control most major in-car functions.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I know this horse has been thoroughly beaten, but it's clearly not dead yet because the trend is only getting worse. Touch screen interfaces do not belong in cars. Period.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

It's going to be a tough push to make when modern cars essentially have iPads in the dashboard to control most major in-car functions.

Naw it's cool, they disable a lot of stuff when the car is moving! Totally safe now.

I suspect that by the time we get around to legislating away distracted driving, self driving cars will be on the market and the problem will solve itself.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Kinda like those girls who drink alcohol and wear revealing clothes, am I right? :jerkbag:

This is a stupid comparison. It's more like if they're drinking and wearing revealing clothes while working in an animal rendering plant, they're probably going to lose a toe, and they should have known better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

It's in the constitution, victim blaming is cool if they're on a bicycle.

Stupidity is still legal for the most part. Sometimes the victim does things that they know significantly increase the chances of someone committing a crime against them, and that's not wrong to acknowledge. It's a spectrum.

At the far side in one direction is the "she had on a short skirt and had a beer, she was asking for it!" fucktards. At the far side in the other direction is the kind of person who would hear about someone getting their rear end kicked while doing this

and say he wasn't doing anything wrong. Those jerks on the highway are somewhere in the huge gap between those two ends..

If we take the bicycle out of the equation and say they were driving their beat-rear end old Lada that can't get out of first gear at 15-30 MPH on a controlled-access highway, are they dumbasses? If so, then they're still dumbasses when on bikes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you can't go highway speed and you're on a highway, you're a dumbass.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Locator posted:

So the very first thing that happens in this, with the motorcycles, is not something I've ever seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVn1NiHhwBo

How did nobody mention the motorcyclist's voice at 1:01? He sounds like a cartoon character and has a strangely muted reaction to the whole crash. It's magical.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If you want to laugh at cyclists go laugh at the local cyclists here that get ~150 dollar fines for running red lights / stop signs and then blame it on "I didn't know cyclists had to stop" (despite often having drivers licenses) or getting mad at police and pulling the classic "Don't you have better things to do. Not people almost getting splattered by trucks on highways.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

A path to literally anywhere worth going that doesn't involve cars whizzing past at 50 mph++ inches from me would be ideal.

I don't get how dudes can be like "that paved separated bike path sucks, I'm taking the lane anyway". Having any sort of attempt at a bike lane at all is like 90th percentile in the US, shut the gently caress up and use it so they make more of them.

I know the argument gets played out, but a simple solution to begin with is updating the laws so bicyclists can ride on sidewalks everywhere, not just certain states/places. You're off the road, usually far enough away from cars, and the majority of sidewalks will follow the same route as roads in town. Widen the sidewalk, paint half of it as a designated bike lane and let the pedestrians and cyclists argue with each other instead of worrying about an idiot cyclist getting creamed because they or the car who hit them weren't paying attention.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lowtax thanks you for another $10 donation for this really bland title.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I know the argument gets played out, but a simple solution to begin with is updating the laws so bicyclists can ride on sidewalks everywhere, not just certain states/places. You're off the road, usually far enough away from cars, and the majority of sidewalks will follow the same route as roads in town. Widen the sidewalk, paint half of it as a designated bike lane and let the pedestrians and cyclists argue with each other instead of worrying about an idiot cyclist getting creamed because they or the car who hit them weren't paying attention.

Sidewalks are the most dangerious place for bikes because they have to cross the road at some point and no one checks the sidewalk for a vehicle moving at 15 mph.
A proper off-street bikeway is a different thing (and way more expensive).
Also, quite frankly, this idea to a 3in curb protects anyone from a distracted driver is laughable.
Perhaps everyone should just pay attention to the road and not be assholes. Or way for self-driving cars because that's gonna happen 1st.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

This thread has run its course. Time to :gas:.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BOOTY-ADE posted:

gently caress no! I have been hit seven times by bikes on the sidewalk. There are pedestrians remember?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

gently caress no! I have been hit seven times by bikes on the sidewalk. There are pedestrians remember?

Pedestrians don't matter, plebe, there are Bicyclists to fret about the safety of. Bicyclists are the chosen ones who can do no harm and must be protected at all costs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nm posted:

Also, quite frankly, this idea to a 3in curb protects anyone from a distracted driver is laughable.
Perhaps everyone should just pay attention to the road and not be assholes. Or way for self-driving cars because that's gonna happen 1st.

A 3 inch curb, plus another couple feet of grass, then a sidewalk/path is better than driving on the street literally inches from traffic that are moving, at minimum, twice the speed of an average cyclist. It's easy to say that we should all pay attention and all that, but then again, if people weren't inattentive, careless assholes....we probably wouldn't need rules telling them NOT to be. So it apparently all wraps back around to "watch what the gently caress you're doing or deal with the consequences of your own stupidity" because anything that involves money, work, or changing rules is just asking too much :shrug:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

PCOS Bill posted:

Pedestrians don't matter, plebe, there are Bicyclists to fret about the safety of. Bicyclists are the chosen ones who can do no harm and must be protected at all costs.

Yeah okay, this is why they accept the risks on biking and do it on the road, instead of on the sidewalks where they might hurt someone. :rolleyes:

If someone can come up with proof that cyclists cause a statistically significant amount of road injuries or property damage as a result of riding on the road and being utter terrors that obviously need to be stopped I'd be willing to reconsider my opinion that bike hating is nothing more than impotent rage at the world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus loving christ you guys are loving insufferable. And apparently a couple probations over this idiotic debate hasn't done anything to make it stop, either.

Today, some jackwagon with the vanity plate CLAMS on a black Taurus hogged the left lane for several miles on i495, with me and ten others behind me. After a mile or two I flicked the passing lights at them, with no apparent response. Another few miles, flicked them again, then gave up and passed them on the right when I got the opportunity. They proceeded to tailgate me for a short while, flicking the passing lights, even though I was now going 10mph faster. Eat a million dicks you passive aggressive piece of poo poo.

(then they fell back to their previous speed and I last saw them with nine of the ten stacked up behind them. The guy in a Patriot followed me.)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

How to stop people from speeding? Toss trash cans at them as they pass! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_-FRK2EGU

I couldn't have been the driver. If that was me, the only thing you'd hear throughout the entire 9 minute video would be the sound of trash can boy's head being bashed against the pavement.

This is fantastic.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 14, 2016

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

kastein posted:

Jesus loving christ you guys are loving insufferable. And apparently a couple probations over this idiotic debate hasn't done anything to make it stop, either.

Today, some jackwagon with the vanity plate CLAMS on a black Taurus hogged the left lane for several miles on i495, with me and ten others behind me. After a mile or two I flicked the passing lights at them, with no apparent response. Another few miles, flicked them again, then gave up and passed them on the right when I got the opportunity. They proceeded to tailgate me for a short while, flicking the passing lights, even though I was now going 10mph faster. Eat a million dicks you passive aggressive piece of poo poo.

(then they fell back to their previous speed and I last saw them with nine of the ten stacked up behind them. The guy in a Patriot followed me.)

I wonder what the story behind CLAMS is, but also I just want it to be that he/she wanted a vanity plate and just likes clams :backtowork:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Jesus loving christ you guys are loving insufferable.
Yuuuuuup.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

How to stop people from speeding? Toss trash cans at them as they pass! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_-FRK2EGU

I couldn't have been the driver. If that was me, the only thing you'd hear throughout the entire 9 minute video would be the sound of trash can boy's head being bashed against the pavement.
gently caress me. What a oval office. I wouldn't blame you in the slightest.

On video, what is that, criminal damage and threatening the guy?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PCOS Bill posted:

Also the difference in mass, speed, momentum, and energy is way smaller between a ped and a bike than between a car and a bike.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still got a fractured wrist and three broken fingers out of the second to last collision; along with the cyclist screaming at me that I had hosed up his front wheel and fork.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still got a fractured wrist and three broken fingers out of the second to last collision; along with the cyclist screaming at me that I had hosed up his front wheel and fork.

Excuse me but these people have just informed you that bicycles don't hurt anyone so

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sten Freak posted:

Every day on the way to and from work I see people looking at phones sitting at green lights, getting onto the interstate on ramp (seen this morning) weaving down the road, driving obliviously from one place to another. Every day.

I agree with you. The drunk driving thing has been so effective that a sign like "We'd rather you drive drunk than text while driving: it's much safer" would probably make a large number of people at least think about something, maybe.

I got disheartened while typing and realized that no, people on phones in cars isn't going to stop until they all wreck.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PCOS Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFxPe-CHjg

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I think I met one of the weirdest midlife crisis cases in my life. Came up to a red light on a two line highway. At the front of the other lane was a 4th gen blue Mustang GT - probably the cleanest example I've ever seen. Light turns green, and Mr Mustang proceeds to "race" the VW golf in front of me. The golf isn't having any of it, and ends up turning off a mile later. Mr Mustang ends up slowing down to probably 10 under the limit, so I end up catching up by the next light in a few miles. About a a good block from the light, it turns red, which pompts Mr Mustang to slam on the brakes and stop right there - atleast 10 car lengths from the light itself. I pull up normally, and two minutes later, Mr Mustang creeps up - its an old guy with white hair, probably in his 50s. He proceeds to enter the intersection (still red), and stops with his rear bumper over the cross walk. Luckily the cross traffic was all turning. Light goes green, Mr Mustang races off the line again, and this time hits traffic, so he starts changing lanes, but never really makes it anywhere. When I turned off a few miles later, it seemed like he was still trying to figure out how to drive his not all that impressive sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was on a ramp to the highway today where two lanes turn into one lane before you merge on the highway. Everyone was perfectly staggered, and the guy in the lane beside me and behind me decided to hit the gas. I had to brake as we went into the merge. He then just stayed behind the car in front of me as we hit the next interchange.

Why?