Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Docjowles posted:

Congrats! I have a 2 year old and she owns.

Goondolonces on the year+ of no sleep you're about to endure, though.

You get used to it fast though and it's really not as bad as you think it's going to be. One day you'll come to the realization that you haven't slept for longer than 4 hours in the past 6 months and it will just be an interesting side note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Docjowles posted:

The not sleeping thing is highly exaggerated. Yes it is somewhat shocking the first few weeks, but it settles down to something more manageable very quickly.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Most definitely. The first few weeks are a throw into the deep end, but I'm 5 months in and I'm already like, pfft, this is easy.

One day my 14 year old daughter will be bullied by someone with no more reason than it's fun to hold power over someone. That's hard. A 5 month old wants a bottle and a cuddle. Easy.

e: I'd actually like to walk this post back immediately, as many people have babies with real disabilities, and still more people have babies which are fussy in this way or that way, so this is a grossly unfair thing to say.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 14, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Most definitely. The first few weeks are a throw into the deep end, but I'm 5 months in and I'm already like, pfft, this is easy.

One day my 14 year old daughter will be bullied by someone with no more reason than it's fun to hold power over someone. That's hard. A 5 month old wants a bottle and a cuddle. Easy.

Teach your daughter to punch that fucker in the face. And if it continues, curb stomp them in front of their friends.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My boss used pies as a metaphor to explain binary notation and subnetting today. Fast forward to him yelling "HOW MANY PIES DO YOU HAVE???" after my coworker wasn't getting it.

"How many pies do you have" is now the office inside joke. I live in a loving sitcom.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Holy poo poo I now have a baby. :stare: Thankfully I have this NAS which needs backing up so my wife can deal with it all.

It will be like our bad old days together.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks SH/SC for reminding me that my own experiences that I had with my child are wrong and invalid :allears:

Some kids start sleeping through the night after a few months. Lots don't. Ours was the latter, it took her like 14 months to do it consistently, and until then would only sleep for a couple hours at a time. It was a long first year.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Docjowles posted:

Thanks SH/SC for reminding me that my own experiences that I had with my child are wrong and invalid :allears:

Some kids start sleeping through the night after a few months. Lots don't. Ours was the latter, it took her like 14 months to do it consistently, and until then would only sleep for a couple hours at a time. It was a long first year.
If there's anything you should learn from SH/SC it's that all of your experiences are wrong and invalid :colbert:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even know how people got around in the days before the internet told you how your life should be going.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Allow myself to tell you guys about antivirus

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Docjowles posted:

Year?

I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old, and I haven't slept since my wife told me she was pregnant the first time.

But they're worth it.

E: It isn't because -they- don't sleep. They sleep just fine.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The first few months are hard because you have to get up every few hours for feedings. Now a year in the only hard days are when he gets up before six am which is every weekend of course. He sleeps until seven or later most weekdays.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't even know how people got around in the days before the internet told you how your life should be going.
They undervalued themselves, stayed at the same company for 15 years, and told internal recruiters their current salaries.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

The not sleeping thing is highly exaggerated. Yes it is somewhat shocking the first few weeks, but it settles down to something more manageable very quickly.

Depends on the kid. I've got 4, one was a nightmare for both my wife and I. Never napped, slept sporadically in one or two hour spurts then was up for an hour.

That lasted almost 6 months.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Aquila posted:

It will be like our bad old days together.

It's like that but with far less sleep. I was thinking about that last night, I hit the wall on sleep I would have hit in the bad days, but now I've gone much further past that. :stare:

Docjowles posted:

Your experiences are wrong and it's obviously because you didn't have a natural enough birth with plenty of pelvic rocking, two whole baked potatoes a week, and a quart of whole milk a day. At least so says Dr. Bradley. Way to not love your child.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
My kid just turned one a month ago. Without fail she will wake up at midnight almost on the dot, cry for something to drink, and then fall back asleep without any fuss. The timing is uncanny.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

My kid just turned one a month ago. Without fail she will wake up at midnight almost on the dot, cry for something to drink, and then fall back asleep without any fuss. The timing is uncanny.
Mine's been teething and waking up the exact moment I go to bed, then screaming for 45 minutes until she passes out, because trying to soothe or comfort her only prolongs the exercise

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
no

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 8, 2023

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ProperCoochie posted:

My job search isn't going very well, and it needs to because of my current hellish employment.

I'm updating LinkedIn for the first time in a few years.

Can anyone with experience speak to some best practices for getting a job through LinkedIn?
:words:

I don't have personal experience but there's a thread in BFC with a lot of advice. It was created some time ago and Linkedin's algorithms and poo poo have apparently changed a bit since then but I guess a lot of it still applies. If you have any specific questions the first post doesn't answer, the OP still posts there, or did as of a couple weeks ago.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ProperCoochie posted:

My job search isn't going very well, and it needs to because of my current hellish employment.

Ideally, I'm only using LinkedIn to find a job (or have a job find me), I don't care about adding friends, seeming popular, boasting My Brand. Can anyone offer guidance and/or assurance?
Update your resume on Indeed too, it's less of a social media thing and I got my current job off of it. You also shouldn't only use one website if you really care getting a new job.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ProperCoochie posted:

Ideally, I'm only using LinkedIn to find a job (or have a job find me), I don't care about adding friends, seeming popular, boasting My Brand. Can anyone offer guidance and/or assurance?

Don't add your friends, add your professional network. To a certain extent you're going to need to get over it and know that you can't prevent all the bad apples from finding you, but you can block them as you go.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hey speaking of new jobs get a load of this one

It was here but it got taken down. Here's their update: https://austin.craigslist.org/cpg/5587425872.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

It was here but it got taken down. Here's their update: https://austin.craigslist.org/cpg/5587425872.html

Hahahahahahahaha.

Also, what is a local DO NOT HIRE blacklist?

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao "entry level" and then a list that includes the word "advanced" and Exchange past knowing that it's an email server that entire listing.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

That's nuts. The help desk job I start next week, my first IT job, starts at 47k a yr w/ full benefits(Seattle). I only have my A+ too.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My last helpdesk hire had zero experience in any kind of technical role beyond helping online banking customers clear their cookies when they called the customer care center, and I started her at $14.00/hr.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flosofl posted:

I figure it's like your Permanent Record, from school.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flosofl posted:

Hahahahahahahaha.

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHA

If anybody figures it out please name and shame that MSP.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

I figure it's like your Permanent Record, from school.

Except the Permanent Record is real, and you can get yourself a copy(ask for your transcript)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Entry level CCNP.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but its no Rogue Ales job.

friend of a goon actually took the Rogue Ales job :(

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Yeah, but its no Rogue Ales job.

friend of a goon actually took the Rogue Ales job :(

I think IcW@ter applied for that job too back in the day, didn't get it obv

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Except the Permanent Record is real, and you can get yourself a copy(ask for your transcript)
A Permanent Record is not the same thing as a transcript, c'mon dude.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

A Permanent Record is not the same thing as a transcript, c'mon dude.

:shrug: Thats how it was played when I was a kid. Its BS that all your rule breaking goes on it, but its real, and its as close to a permanent record as you can get(I've seen experienced job listings require that you provide it)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

:shrug: Thats how it was played when I was a kid. Its BS that all your rule breaking goes on it, but its real, and its as close to a permanent record as you can get(I've seen experienced job listings require that you provide it)

Is this some kind of weird IRC meta joke or something, because this isn't a real thing right?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Is this some kind of weird IRC meta joke or something, because this isn't a real thing right?

Nope, I have seen it in a job listing. Never followed up to see if they would waive it or something, but its real. Its not like you can't go get a copy of your transcript any time, and it DOES exist forever as far as I can tell on a quick google.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

Nope, I have seen it in a job listing. Never followed up to see if they would waive it or something, but its real. Its not like you can't go get a copy of your transcript any time, and it DOES exist forever as far as I can tell on a quick google.

Uh what? Schools lose records all the time. You can maybe rely on getting a transcript from a college/university, but high schools and anything lower routinely do not keep things on file forever, or try to but lose it in problems with backups, or fires in their paper files.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Not a real thing.

Not only is it not a thing now, it has never been a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Starkk posted:

I think IcW@ter applied for that job too back in the day, didn't get it obv

Man that's got to be a kick in the teeth. Applying for a job you KNOW they're going to gently caress you over at, and still not getting it.