Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

poop dood posted:

You guys keep saying "wine key" and "bottle opener" like both jobs aren't done by the one kind of wine key that everyone has and it's honestly freaking me out.

Um. Well. So, if you are using the little hook thingy on a wine key to open more than one bottle at a time...there are more productive methods. Like a speed key/flat which is what your should be using. Certainly don't follow in my footsteps and rip the tops off with a titanium Lord of the Rings wedding band because I am a savage and should be kept in a cage.

But seriously, get a speed opener. Your beer/liquor reps give them away for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
You'll regret using a wine key as a bottle opener the day you either scrape the hell out of your hand on a bottle cap or when someone orders twenty beers.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fair point, wine keys aren't really the fastest or most efficient option. My place is more wine and cocktails than beer so it's not an issue for me/us, but in a different bar I could see it not being the best idea.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

CubanMissile posted:

You'll regret using a wine key as a bottle opener the day you either scrape the hell out of your hand on a bottle cap or when someone orders twenty beers.

This is the same reason I shear the foils off of wine bottles at my bar since we're not selling the bottle or presenting it. Have cut my hands way too many times on those stupid things. Using a wine key to open beers sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. Protip: if the non opener side of your bottle opener is shaped like a keyhole, it's for removing pour spouts.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

poop dood posted:

You guys keep saying "wine key" and "bottle opener" like both jobs aren't done by the one kind of wine key that everyone has and it's honestly freaking me out.

Also I worked my first solo bar shift at the restaurant I've been at for 2.5 years yesterday and it went really well! We're a pretty big restaurant, around maybe 150-170 seats depending if the patios are open, as well as a ~30 seat bar, so it was intimidating at first. But I held down service drinks, bar guests, and changed a keg mid-shift with no trouble. We did 200 covers on the floor and the MOD said I did a fantastic job, plus it was his birthday so I freestyled a modified Martinez for his shift drink. 1.5 each Barr Hill Old Tom Gin, Bols Genever, Carpano Antica vermouth; 2 bar spoons Luxardo; 2 dashes orange bitters; toasted orange peel. A success all around.

My first PM service bar shift is Saturday night, I'll report back with how much my butthole gets stretched.

A good tool:

It stayed in my rear right pocket, I'd hook my pointer through the top loop and drag it out of my pocket and over and down the bottle, catching the cap backwards to how it's usually used, opening the bottle while holding it like a stabby knife, then spin it around so it was up and put it back into my pocket. I would also "slap" open multiple beers when those orders came through by waving it around like a drumstick, each up and down popping off one cap, not really necessary to hold the bottles with the other hand unless I was a bit off. This would get used a ton.

A good tool:

It stayed near the register and I'd use it a few times a night to open a bottle of wine. Please note that this model has the hinge in the step lever thing and it has the intermediate step instead of just one fork at the end. Also the little serrated knife for if you were selling the bottle and weren't just going to tear the cork up through the foil. Every other wine key is worse.

You can open beers with it of course, it's what I use at home most of the time, but never when I was at work unless I'd somehow misplaced my beer opener.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

A good tool:

It stayed in my rear right pocket, I'd hook my pointer through the top loop and drag it out of my pocket and over and down the bottle, catching the cap backwards to how it's usually used, opening the bottle while holding it like a stabby knife, then spin it around so it was up and put it back into my pocket. I would also "slap" open multiple beers when those orders came through by waving it around like a drumstick, each up and down popping off one cap, not really necessary to hold the bottles with the other hand unless I was a bit off. This would get used a ton.

A good tool:

It stayed near the register and I'd use it a few times a night to open a bottle of wine. Please note that this model has the hinge in the step lever thing and it has the intermediate step instead of just one fork at the end. Also the little serrated knife for if you were selling the bottle and weren't just going to tear the cork up through the foil. Every other wine key is worse.

You can open beers with it of course, it's what I use at home most of the time, but never when I was at work unless I'd somehow misplaced my beer opener.

That second tool has a quality manufacturer called Pulltaps. I'm sure there are other fine brands but mine has lasted almost 10 years at this point.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yes, I am familiar with paddle openers and Pulltaps wine keys, thanks for being condescending.

Anyway my first service bar shift was really intense. From 5pm to 10:30pm we did 330 covers. My first service ticket was a draft beer, the keg of which blew immediately. My second ticket was three dirty martinis, and my third or fourth was a Gibson, which necessitated me fetching more cocktail onions from the walk-in downstairs. Really got the awful poo poo out of the way early though, I was busy as gently caress all night but nothing nearly that obnoxious.

Overall I'm pretty stoked on bartending. It's fun as hell, and a good challenge for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't think anyone is being condescending - a lot of the folks here have done this for awhile, some of us have moved on, others are making it a career. We're trying to pass on good advice based on experience.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

poop dood posted:

Yes, I am familiar with paddle openers and Pulltaps wine keys, thanks for being condescending.

Anyway my first service bar shift was really intense.

+

poop dood posted:

You guys keep saying "wine key" and "bottle opener" like both jobs aren't done by the one kind of wine key that everyone has

=

:chloe:

raton fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 26, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, I wasn't trying to be condescending bud but now I think maybe I should have been?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

That second tool has a quality manufacturer called Pulltaps. I'm sure there are other fine brands but mine has lasted almost 10 years at this point.

This is my favorite one because it's white and I don't usually see white ones

I've had it for eight or nine years I think

It says

LARUS
Gabriel Meffre

On the back so I originally got it from a rep at some point, I don't remember

I never figured out that the script said Pulltaps I always read it as Puyallup basically because of the Shadowrun game for the Genesis

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is my favorite one because it's white and I don't usually see white ones

I've had it for eight or nine years I think

It says

LARUS
Gabriel Meffre

On the back so I originally got it from a rep at some point, I don't remember

I never figured out that the script said Pulltaps I always read it as Puyallup basically because of the Shadowrun game for the Genesis

Neeeerrrrrrrrd. Neeeerrrrrrrrd!

And lol not condescending at all but OK keep bartending good luck goon

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Sheep-Goats posted:

I mean, I wasn't trying to be condescending bud but now I think maybe I should have been?

The bar I'm working at is my first bar gig, and I mentioned that by volume we don't sell a lot of beer, mostly wine and liquor. As a result, my wine key is sufficient for my bottle-opening needs. Because of my admittedly limited scope, I did not realize that the wine key is not the ideal solution for all situations, especially those that involve opening beer bottles in quantity. Sorry if that wasn't completely clear.

As of January, my place stopped serving brunch 9-3 on weekends in favor of an expanded lunch menu, run on standard 11-3 hours. The reasoning from our owner was that it was wearing the kitchen and service staff thin, and he felt he wasn't putting out consistent quality product. I think it's pretty sound reasoning, but we've had no small amount of backlash. We do enough volume that the complaints don't mean much, but coming up is our first Mother's Day with no brunch, and that's historically our highest-volume Sunday brunch day. The managers anticipate much complaining, but I'm working the dinner shift so I won't see any of that! :D

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's nice they're prepared to ignore complaints. Most places that do brunch are more than happy to service hordes of cheapskates who do nothing but try to complain their way into free meals and don't tip. Especially Sunday brunch. These places would make their employees go to the bathroom in adult diapers if they thought they could get away with it legally and the customers wouldn't notice.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

I dunno, it's fine to over explain simple things because after 12 years of working in bars I now know I have to explain how to chop fruit, the fact you don't shake fizzy drinks in the shaker and not to squeeze fruit "upside down" (because it then just squeezes the juice in their faces, although that's pretty good), not to touch the top 1/3 of the glasses. Though in all fairness everyone who does all that are young bar-virgins.

In other news, my pub's being sold (my boss has just agreed on the guys buying it so it's up to the solicitors etc now. Maybe 10 weeks?) and I am most probably leaving the trade. I've been in pubs for 12 years, and in this particular bar/pub for TEN years. I've said I'll stay on for a while (a month) to help with the transition and if they need any weekend staff, but it's really time for me to leave. I'm TERRIFIED. But sort of excited about the prospect of having weekends free.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

artificial posted:

I dunno, it's fine to over explain simple things because after 12 years of working in bars I now know I have to explain how to chop fruit, the fact you don't shake fizzy drinks in the shaker and not to squeeze fruit "upside down" (because it then just squeezes the juice in their faces, although that's pretty good), not to touch the top 1/3 of the glasses. Though in all fairness everyone who does all that are young bar-virgins.

In other news, my pub's being sold (my boss has just agreed on the guys buying it so it's up to the solicitors etc now. Maybe 10 weeks?) and I am most probably leaving the trade. I've been in pubs for 12 years, and in this particular bar/pub for TEN years. I've said I'll stay on for a while (a month) to help with the transition and if they need any weekend staff, but it's really time for me to leave. I'm TERRIFIED. But sort of excited about the prospect of having weekends free.

Yeah I definitely don't think fruit cutting is something you can ignore. We had people that without instruction would either cut everything like it's sashimi or cut lemons like we're squirting fat wedges over seafood. Squeezing fruit "upside down" ? :wtc: that's another level.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
"Squirting fat wedges" is an upsetting phrase.

I really think I've gotten this far in my restaurant career by merit of a larger-than-average amount of common sense. Most of what I do isn't hard, it's just good time management skills and applied common sense.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

poop dood posted:

"Squirting fat wedges" is an upsetting phrase.

I really think I've gotten this far in my restaurant career by merit of a larger-than-average amount of common sense. Most of what I do isn't hard, it's just good time management skills and applied common sense.
Bar work is like 80% common sense. I work with a guy who is doing an MA to be an orchestra conductor in a top uni in my town. In a few years he could be on top money if things keep going his way. He does stuff like - there's just me and him on the bar and I say "I'm just popping to the loo". I come back in under 2 minutes. Where is he?! He's collecting glasses in the garden which is on a different "level/floor" to the bar. So no-one is on the bar or even in eyesight of the bar. Ive talked to him about this multiple times but he just doesn't get it (boring extended explanation - have bought up my issues with him multiple times to the boss but he's the only one who can cover on short notice so boss keeps him about. Bad management wah wah normal shite. I'm also management but under the big boss with no firing powers, thanks big boss). It isn't a conscious thing, he's just "oh, we need glasses, off I go". Thanks buddy. So he's intelligent (conductor post-grad) but zero common sense.

artificial fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
God I hate having three people on, walking out of the kitchen and nobody is behind the bar. Like, what the gently caress are you doing? If you look around and you're the only one back there you don't leave the loving bar

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Service industry work is almost ALL common sense, and it's depressing how many people that weeds out

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I'm on vacation now for the first time in over a year and I have an extra week of scheduling done and my phone off and what am I doing? Posting in this thread reflexively. Kill me :toot:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Today the owner decided the ideal place for the second POS and gaming computer was atop the service well.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 28, 2016

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

Today the owner decided the ideal place for the second POS and gaming computer was atop the service well.
This makes me so angry on your behalf because of all the times I've walked in to work and seen something like this. Top work, owners! Urgh.

mooyashi posted:

God I hate having three people on, walking out of the kitchen and nobody is behind the bar. Like, what the gently caress are you doing? If you look around and you're the only one back there you don't leave the loving bar
My fellow bartender friend calls this part of the job "herding cats" :eng101:

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

CubanMissile posted:

Ask your owner to work five minutes of a shift behind the bar during service. Not even work. Just stand back there and watch why it was a terrible idea.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

FaceEater posted:

Ask your owner to work five minutes of a shift behind the bar during service. Not even work. Just stand back there and watch why it was a terrible idea.
If he's anything like the owner of my place, he'll have been the person to install it!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

FaceEater posted:

That this should even be necessary is mind boggling. The lack of common sense displayed here makes me wonder how he even puts his pants on, let alone own five bars. I hope this breaks health code or the POS is fried the first week.

What's not pictured is the card reader/pin pad behind the terminal. The supposed reasoning is we do credit card cash advances for gambling and bartenders weren't doing the paperwork (making copies of IDs) so the customers will have to swipe their own cards. Of course this can be accomplished by just getting a card reader with an extra long cord.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

CubanMissile posted:

That this should even be necessary is mind boggling. The lack of common sense displayed here makes me wonder how he even puts his pants on, let alone own five bars. I hope this breaks health code or the POS is fried the first week.

What's not pictured is the card reader/pin pad behind the terminal. The supposed reasoning is we do credit card cash advances for gambling and bartenders weren't doing the paperwork (making copies of IDs) so the customers will have to swipe their own cards. Of course this can be accomplished by just getting a card reader with an extra long cord.

gently caress the gear, I was just thinking of where the gently caress my made drinks are supposed to go while some other bartender is literally on top of me trying split a check in the screen or whatever. 10 vodka sodas becomes like 5 when someone reaches over to void a check and inevitably we bump into one another and orders go down the drain, along with booze and thus profit.

Dumb.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe it's just part of a new gratuities system where you farm gold in wow during service for extra tips.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

We stripped, stained and lacquered our bar top yesterday/today (since the place is being sold we have a lot of upkeep jobs to do) thought it might interest some of you.

It's bank holiday weekend in the UK and we're always crazy busy Fri-Sun but Mondays are dead, so we shut (!) yesterday (Monday) and opened 4pm Tuesday in order for everything to have time to dry properly.

My boss started work 6am Monday, I started around 10am since I'd been working till 3am (I'm painting all the door frames. He did this with a regular of ours who's a carpenter), so no "official" before photos but I found 2 photos on one of the regular's FB which show a bit of the bar -

(The barman is cleaning her glasses so she took a picture)

(She didn't want a shot so we made her the smallest G&T in the world)

You can see the varnish/lacquer was worn away in places and looking pretty tired.

So the bar was stripped in the morning -

Then it was sanded (I think the wood here looked really beautiful) -

You can see here if you look carefully we used to have 2 POS stations (there's a square of wood added in to the bar where it used to be). Wish we still had two.

First coat of stain -

I left around 10pm and my boss stayed and put the lacquer on at 6am this morning. When I arrived later this morning it looked like this -

Pretty good for a day's work :cheers:

artificial fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 3, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That's a handsome bar, good work

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure why you're fixing up the bar after it's been sold but maybe I misread something or whatever.

E: did you mean the owners will be trying to sell it soon?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Why did I not get into hotel bartending earlier? God such easy money. I'm finally home!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Always nice when a couple in the service industry goes out of their way to lie to the manager about your attitude because you wouldn't let them bring loving Del Taco into the bar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does this bar serve food?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does this bar serve food?

Yes.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

navyjack posted:

Why did I not get into hotel bartending earlier? God such easy money. I'm finally home!

I keep hearing good things about working in hotels (bartending and other roles) and I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magog posted:

I keep hearing good things about working in hotels (bartending and other roles) and I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You need to be able to deal with people who are stressed out from travelling and may treat you strangely because of different cultural norms. I don't think it would be so easy, but for the right sort of person I can see it being an enjoyable job.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Magog posted:

There are four shoes in bartending

-oval office manager
-oval office customers
-No money
-Position is impossible to get

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are four shoes in bartending

-oval office manager
-oval office customers
-No money
-Position is impossible to get

Haha, I like it. If you find a spot that has only one, you're probably set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Best sweet vermouth for negroni?

• Locked thread