Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Is David Warner the new standard for Big Finish quality?

David Warner has given his agent standing orders to just accept when BF calls. Doesn't need to see the script, or know the role. All he needs is the time and date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My vote goes to Jessica Jones too. On top of being a really good show, it's got a very special... edge, to the people familiar with Doctor Who.

He even does the 'Well...', it's not even fair.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He's really spectacular in the role. Shows how much the overacting was executive decision!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann please for the love of God watch Jessica Jones.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I don’t know why, but I think I’m watching Jessica Jones tonight.

By the way J-Ru, you look good in purple.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

I don’t know why, but I think I’m watching Jessica Jones tonight.

By the way J-Ru, you look good in purple.

Yeah, J-Ru. Smile.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

You let me be...inside you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

It's a bad line I'd have forgotten almost immediately if it wasn't for people ranting about it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

My god, shut it down SHUT IT ALL DOWN

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My god, shut it down SHUT IT ALL DOWN

No need to overreact, friend. :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Update – my wife asked me to wait until next weekend to watch Jessica Jones since she and the kiddo will be on a Girl Scout retreat and I can watch the show without having to explain anything to my Marvel Cinematic Universer loving stepdaughter should she pop in.

The show’s not THAT bad, is it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Update – my wife asked me to wait until next weekend to watch Jessica Jones since she and the kiddo will be on a Girl Scout retreat and I can watch the show without having to explain anything to my Marvel Cinematic Universer loving stepdaughter should she pop in.

It features, for Marvel, fairly visceral murders, abuse, talk of rape, abortion, and so on and so on. It'd be Torchwood to the MCU's Doctor Who if Torchwood actually had mature themes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

It's a great show overall, it just has a few issues here and there.

Unless you mean "bad" in terms of kid-friendliness, in which case it's easily the most adult thing in the MCU.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a great show overall, it just has a few issues here and there.

If you've got someone who's supposed to not be able to blink why can't you reshoot a short shot where the person blinks? God dammit! :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you've got someone who's supposed to not be able to blink why can't you reshoot a short shot where the person blinks? God dammit! :argh:

That annoyed the ever-loving poo poo out of me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It is a good show, as I've never failed to mention when mocking it. It's also both an Important and Progressive show, which is definitely why it's significant over any absolute quality, because boy oh boy does JJ have PROBLEMS. But, again, the reason why I mock That Line even despite it being one of the worst written and delivered lines in recent memory is its placement within the show and relative level of importance to the show.

To put into terms you'd understand it'd be like if "Then what. Is the point. Of you." was instead an atrociously terrible line of dialog that was incredibly badly delivered.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One of two Who refs! :eng101:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It features, for Marvel, fairly visceral murders, abuse, talk of rape, abortion, and so on and so on. It'd be Torchwood to the MCU's Doctor Who if Torchwood actually had mature themes

Also pretty vivid sex scenes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How physically violent is it compared to Daredevil?

I’m only up to the episode where Frank pleads not guilty, so I haven’t seen the diner or prison scenes yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

To put into terms you'd understand it'd be like if "Then what. Is the point. Of you." was instead an atrociously terrible line of dialog that was incredibly badly delivered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1a-hqvGNI

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

The violence is much less frequent, but no less severe when it does happen.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

I’m only up to the episode where Frank pleads not guilty, so I haven’t seen the diner or prison scenes yet.

It's actually not all that violent compared to Daredevil, or even the mainline MCU really. What Daredevil is to the movies in terms of violence, JJ is to them regarding sexual themes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jessica Jones was so good that last year the only thing better than it was Fargo season 2, and that was goddamn close to a perfect season of television.

It's definitely not something I'd recommend your kid watching though, it gets into some extremely dark territory.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn’t let her watch it anyway (I’m iffy on Daredevil until she’s 13 and her mom and I argue about showing her The Blues Brothers, I want to, she doesn’t).

On the other hand, this was a kid who tried to negotiate with me to take her to see Keanu solely because the cat in the commercials was so cute…

quote:

“Sweetie, I can’t. They use some very bad language in the movie.”

“I’ve heard you swear all the time when you used to play World of Warcraft!"

“…yes, but I’m not talking about swearing. I’m talking about the n-word. Which they use. A lot.”

“Oh. Ok. Well, can I see Deadpool instead?”

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Keanu doesn't have a UK release date yet! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

“Oh. Ok. Well, can I see Deadpool instead?”

Poor kid. You gotta negotiate down, not up :allears:.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Poor kid. You gotta negotiate down, not up :allears:.

Don't knock it until we know the results. I'm pretty sure CobiWann will fold eventually. :getin:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Don't knock it until we know the results. I'm pretty sure CobiWann will fold eventually. :getin:

The below may or may not be an accurate representation of how things go in our house.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Jessica Jones was so good that last year the only thing better than it was Fargo season 2, and that was goddamn close to a perfect season of television.

It's definitely not something I'd recommend your kid watching though, it gets into some extremely dark territory.

Yeah, I agree. I honestly didn't like Daredevil - it had very good fight choreography and is well cast but feels like a very, very drawn out version of Batman Begins with a couple of variations - but Jessica Jones was both incredible and not for children. I am worried it will lose its edge and drown in comic book universe bullshit in season 2 (the supercop plotline was the weakest link in season 1 and is a bad seed for the follow-up season, and I don't care how Jessica's world interacts with the other Marvel characters), but David Tennant's villain really made the first season good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alias only ran for something like twentysomething issues before being taken off of MAX imprint and folded into the 616. And that was a wildly successful, wholly original run. The reason they did was because even Bendis, the guy who invented the character, realized that JJ being this miseryfest of a hard-drinking mess with issues dealing with rape only could go so far, so they gave her an unequivocally Happy Ending and folded her into the main continuity before it just turned into a dour bore of How Are We Gonna poo poo On Jessica Jones This Month. And to be honest her subsequent relationship with and marriage to Luke Cage was some of the best material in her history, alongside her eventual decision to become Jewel/Huntress/Power Woman. More than most characters in the Marvel Universe, Jessica Jones changed, while still being her miserable rear end in a top hat self, and she did it within a tiny relative timeframe- barely a decade.

And considering they're reviving Alias again in the MU, but this time fully 616, I think they realize that JJ is a compelling character because she evolves and lives in the world around her, even if its against her own best wishes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Alias only ran for something like twentysomething issues before being taken off of MAX imprint and folded into the 616. And that was a wildly successful, wholly original run. The reason they did was because even Bendis, the guy who invented the character, realized that JJ being this miseryfest of a hard-drinking mess with issues dealing with rape only could go so far, so they gave her an unequivocally Happy Ending and folded her into the main continuity before it just turned into a dour bore of How Are We Gonna poo poo On Jessica Jones This Month. And to be honest her subsequent relationship with and marriage to Luke Cage was some of the best material in her history, alongside her eventual decision to become Jewel/Huntress/Power Woman. More than most characters in the Marvel Universe, Jessica Jones changed, while still being her miserable rear end in a top hat self, and she did it within a tiny relative timeframe- barely a decade.

And considering they're reviving Alias again in the MU, but this time fully 616, I think they realize that JJ is a compelling character because she evolves and lives in the world around her, even if its against her own best wishes.

That could be possible. I haven't read the source material in this case. I just have a lot of pessimism about comic book universes. Even JJ's first season felt like it would have been a better story if she'd just been a straight up hardboiled detective without superpowers, I think, although I know I am very much in the minority there. I think both the writing and Ritter did a good job of portraying character development already, and if they continue down that route, it'll be good, although they may want to kick the noir aesthetic to the curb if that's the direction they're heading.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

That could be possible. I haven't read the source material in this case. I just have a lot of pessimism about comic book universes. Even JJ's first season felt like it would have been a better story if she'd just been a straight up hardboiled detective without superpowers, I think, although I know I am very much in the minority there. I think both the writing and Ritter did a good job of portraying character development already, and if they continue down that route, it'll be good, although they may want to kick the noir aesthetic to the curb if that's the direction they're heading.

Nothing about Jones' backstory or hatred of superheroes in general makes any sense whatsoever if she doesn't have superpowers. Like, that's the whole point- The Purple Man singles her out because he wants her powers all to himself, and her hatred of superheroes comes from all of her self-hatred over the terrible things she was compelled to do.

And for reference they've already run through over half of JJ's MAX run, including her best story which is what she's famous for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also highly recommend reading that original MAX run, it was phenomenal stuff.

Although now I can't remember if it was the MAX run or something in the regular universe where they did the storyline about J Jonah Jameson hiring her to get dirt on Spider-Man, which is a fantastically funny story.

"Jonah... we're gonna look bad if we sue a woman for giving money to charity...."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm pretty sure that was in Pulse, not Alias.

Toxxupation posted:

Alias only ran for something like twentysomething issues before being taken off of MAX imprint and folded into the 616 ... so they gave her an unequivocally Happy Ending and folded her into the main continuity

I quibble with this slightly. Yes, Alias was published under the MAX imprint, but it was always taking place within the 616 continuity. One of the points of the series was the contradiction of Jess and the 616. Like how other than Luke, none of the 616 characters swear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I think it was a stroke of genius to get Mark Bagley to draw the flashback panels to her time as an active superhero - everything in those bright primary colors and smooth lines and everybody was 6 foot+ and had an 8 pack.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
To get things mildly back on track, I just finished Project: Destiny tonight and... hoo boy, Nimrod. He bothered me less in the earlier ones, maybe because he made sense stylistically with the cheesiness of Big Finish at the beginning, but now it just makes for a very strange throwback.

It's a pity, because I really don't mind the concept of the Forge. If it had been headed up by a character who was trapped in a WW I era mindset and the belief that what he was doing with alien technology really was for the good of mankind, even as he drifts further and further from it with each passing year...

Guess I'll just have to write it myself. Edwardian X-Com, here I come!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jessica Jones was boring and I had to force myself to finish it. I completely gave up on Daredevil season 2 after a few episodes. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving Nimrod, just such an awful character and the Forge was utterly useless too. It was all just trying far too hard to be something it wasn't, and you're right that the worst part of it was that there was a lot of potential there. I think Big Finish just tried to pull off something they simply didn't have the chops for (at the time) and it poisoned the well for that character/institution from that point on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I agree. I honestly didn't like Daredevil - it had very good fight choreography and is well cast but feels like a very, very drawn out version of Batman Begins with a couple of variations - but Jessica Jones was both incredible and not for children. I am worried it will lose its edge and drown in comic book universe bullshit in season 2 (the supercop plotline was the weakest link in season 1 and is a bad seed for the follow-up season, and I don't care how Jessica's world interacts with the other Marvel characters), but David Tennant's villain really made the first season good.

I'd be worried about them going the other way in season 2, honestly; that they base too much of its success on David Tennant and Kilgrave, and try to recapture the success of the first season without understanding why that was good and how to properly cap it off. Make the exact same mistake Heroes made with Sylar. I'm fine with them following the cop's story, not because I'm inherently interested but because it might work while being completely disconnected from Kilgrave. He's done, and coming back to him would only worsen things; it's better to follow a potentially interesting story that has no connection to Kilgrave than to try to recapture that and gently caress up. The best they could maybe do is write in Kilgrave's daughter from the comics, but even if they did well with that I'd still be worried if they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Nothing about Jones' backstory or hatred of superheroes in general makes any sense whatsoever if she doesn't have superpowers.

Speaking just about the TV show, because the Purple Man reference makes it seem you are addressing the source material:

Her backstory, with minor adjustments, makes perfect sense without superpowers. Her hatred of humanity's darker side (with a begrudging soft spot for humanity) is considerably more interesting than her hatred of superheroes. Kilgore's focus for pursuing her would have been more interesting if it were anything else about her, say, for example, that like every hardboiled hero, she is incredibly good at taking a vicious beating and simply cracking wise about it, something that would be compelling to someone like him.

She doesn't have to have a hatred of superheroes in general if the only person with superpowers in the story is the bad guy, and then she won't be running to explore every dead end plot point in the series (namely, all of the ones which are embroiled in the superhero universe).

• Locked thread