Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's not still the case, is it? My understanding is that it's now possible to point/scram sieged dreads (and triaged faxes/bastioned marauders) with regular points and scrams as a consequence of the change from ewar immunity to ewar resistance.

Yeah, but you have to live long enough to keep a blap dread pointed.

If it's properly fit- :laffo: good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

pretty much the only compromise i can think of re: JFs is to only allow them to cyno out of highsec in lowsec/nullsec border systems

this would be utterly arbitrary and stupid and punish people who haul freight for no good reason, but it'd stop the "jumping poo poo risk free off the jita undock" thing at least

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fix Lag posted:

Marauders are now in a really lovely spot. They can't refit with weapon timers, so there goes refitting during bastion. They can't move when bastioned, and they can't rep/tank worth a drat when not bastioned. And now, they're no longer e-war immune during bastion.

Any thoughts on how to make them suck less without breaking them?

Couple fun ideas off the top of my head:

-Give them a unique bonus to Grappler Web effective range.
-Allow MJD activation during bastion mode.
-Grant a capacitor warfare resistance bonus during bastion ala the new capacitor batteries.
-Bonus to smartbomb range (so I don't have to spend the absurd amounts needed for faction smartbombs.)

I dunno. It really depends on what you mean when you say "make them suck less." Make them suck less at what? Harder to gank? More efficient and thus more profitable in PvE? Cheaper to fit so that less ISK is being risked?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
god forbid logistics people have to risk something or adapt to situations in order to buy entire fleets and supply their entire alliance

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
A 15-20% bonus to grappler falloff per level of marauder during bastion would be terrifying. And awesome. Probably a little too awesome.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Marauders should either have their hull cost reduced heavily I reckon. With the new carrier changes there's no reason to ever fly them because they are way too immobile to escape hotdrops.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Full disclosure I lost a golem today to three carriers and I'm salty as the briney deep

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

RhoA posted:

Playing with no local makes EVE way better, so yes, they should get rid of local.

Nah. That's a bullshit argument.
I frequently manage to warp in on ratters and miners. I just lack the DPS to kill it.
You don't want local? Stick to wormholes.

gently caress all of you trying to make EVE even more effort than it is now.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

We've scouted and popped cynos before, but that's just another layer to the added personnel complexity of the gank, and is an N+1 scenario (that ultimately we cannot know until after the fact). Preventing jumps out of highsec would just make the freighter travel to lowsec to jump. You can jump while still invuln, so not a ridiculously big change.

This whole issue comes down to whether or not you believe JFs should be in danger in highsec and in lowsec. The former will never be possible as long as people can cyno off the jita undock, and the latter could use some potential.

People already do what Angelique is suggesting with supertanked freighters. We see it all the time in highsec / lowsec points, so I don't see the problem?

I understand that this would significantly impact the game and make remote areas of space more of a pain to live in. Frankly, having logistics be safe, reliable and not overly difficult is probably good for the game. It makes it easier and less frustrating for everyone to play. And I think CCP sees it that way with the continuous nerfs to ganking. But it also flies in the face of their statement "No where should be safe" and makes for some truly boring gameplay.

Nowhere is safe. The problem is not that highsec is safe. Its that players have adapted and are now using the mechanics in ways that really minimize their risk.
Miniluv and highsec gankers are, in my personal opinion, doing a great job which is very necessary in EVE. But you guys did such a good job, that you literally forced players to improve themselves and not be dumb or lazy. You guys need to be proud of that. People are smarter thanks to you. Something most highschool teachers can't achieve in their lifetime.

Considering that jumping out is the JF's only real defense, you can't complain about this and hope CCP nerfs that mechanic. I think what you guys need to focus on, is ensure that CCP doesn't nerf ganking more and hopefully rollback on some of their changes. But JF? C'mon, just how helpless do you want your victims to be?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

Full disclosure I lost a golem today to three carriers and I'm salty as the briney deep

Wormholin or k-space?

And yeah, I sympathize. My first ever T3 was a super blingfit faction/deadspace legion that, while I could technically afford to lose, I wasn't mentally ready to lose. Ever since, I've become super averse to putting faction or deadspace mods on anything at all.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
JFs are literally unkillable unless the pilot makes a mistake that is pretty easy to not make, fyi

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

JFs are literally unkillable unless the pilot makes a mistake that is pretty easy to not make, fyi

I was going to post, "And yet people make those mistakes all the time" and then link JF killmails from Jita.

But then I went on zkillboard and couldn't find any. So my apologies, it seems you guys are right. JF kills are too rare an occurrence and there's got to be a way to change that without making JF pilot's life too difficult.

From now on, I will defer to your expertise when it comes to that subject.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
I think JFs are hard to nerf enough to appease those that only want to gank them without killing their usefulness. Yeah, you could make it so that they can only jump out of HS that border a LS/NS, but that just delays things until the market moves to Isikano or whatever that system is that's next to pakkonen. Then they will jump off the undock of that station and you've solved nothing.

A spool up timer would be interesting for all jump capable ships, but I wouldn't apply it to only JFs. In fact, a spool up timer of equal length for going into siege or triage would be interesting too. Then you've got a race to jump out as three phoenixes undock with you, will your jump timer finish first or their siege timer?

I wouldn't change anything about how JFs work right now. Fully bulkhead fit, they hold less than two fully skilled DSTs. Fully expanded, with a few hundred million in faction expanders, you still top out at 385k m3. When you're talking null logistics, that's not a lot of space. 77k fuel blocks, 128k units of stront, 15 battleships (packaged).

I love killing JFs as much as anyone, but of all the balancing issues that exist in Eve right now, JFs don't seem to be the glaring issue.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
This is probably a terrible idea but.. If I remember (I'm probably incorrect) when you bump a ship the size of a jump freighter, it tends to exceed its maximum speed as its bumped away, no?

What if Cyno's couldn't be used when a ship exceeds its maximum velocity? As long as you keep bumping it and make sure it moves faster than what the ship's maximum velocity is supposed to be, you can keep it in the system. (Until that 15min thing they recently added anyways)

It gives the gankers a chance of keeping the JF in system, and it gives the JF pilot a chance to cyno out if the gankers gently caress up. Wouldn't that be better than adding yet another timer?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I think JFs are hard to nerf enough to appease those that only want to gank them without killing their usefulness. Yeah, you could make it so that they can only jump out of HS that border a LS/NS, but that just delays things until the market moves to Isikano or whatever that system is that's next to pakkonen. Then they will jump off the undock of that station and you've solved nothing.

A spool up timer would be interesting for all jump capable ships, but I wouldn't apply it to only JFs. In fact, a spool up timer of equal length for going into siege or triage would be interesting too. Then you've got a race to jump out as three phoenixes undock with you, will your jump timer finish first or their siege timer?

I wouldn't change anything about how JFs work right now. Fully bulkhead fit, they hold less than two fully skilled DSTs. Fully expanded, with a few hundred million in faction expanders, you still top out at 385k m3. When you're talking null logistics, that's not a lot of space. 77k fuel blocks, 128k units of stront, 15 battleships (packaged).

I love killing JFs as much as anyone, but of all the balancing issues that exist in Eve right now, JFs don't seem to be the glaring issue.

dude its not even just gankers, trying to hunt down hostile logistics in 0.0 is literally impossible unless they jump to a loving cyno beacon

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Dalael posted:

Nah. That's a bullshit argument.
I frequently manage to warp in on ratters and miners. I just lack the DPS to kill it.
You don't want local? Stick to wormholes.

gently caress all of you trying to make EVE even more effort than it is now.

:reddit:

No one said anything about not being able to kill ratters or miners with local. People are stupid with or without it. My point is that if you spend enough time in wormholes, there's simply no substitute for the type of gameplay that you get and the sense of anxiety that comes with having no local. I absolutely loved my time in Hole Squad, but I don't see myself going back to HS ever again and high class wormhole gameplay doesn't interest me, so aside from day trips, :rip: wormholes for me. You can't deny, however, that having no local or at least a delay on local would make this poo poo game a wee bit more interesting.

April Fool
Apr 1, 2016
Finally FCON reset! :getin:

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

April Fool posted:

:eyepop:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

April Fool posted:

:stonk:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
HOLE SQUAD RIDES

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I am so unreasonably excited about this. I don't even care about FCON, but I can't contain my excitement.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
rip groon's main draw

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

RhoA posted:

:reddit:

No one said anything about not being able to kill ratters or miners with local. People are stupid with or without it. My point is that if you spend enough time in wormholes, there's simply no substitute for the type of gameplay that you get and the sense of anxiety that comes with having no local. I absolutely loved my time in Hole Squad, but I don't see myself going back to HS ever again and high class wormhole gameplay doesn't interest me, so aside from day trips, :rip: wormholes for me. You can't deny, however, that having no local or at least a delay on local would make this poo poo game a wee bit more interesting.

I think it depends on people. I personally like local. I like being able to know who's in the system with me with just one glance. I don't want to have to put any more effort in the game than I already have to and I think removing local would just be more frustration for players like me.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Venom Snake posted:

HOLE SQUAD RIDES

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Deadtear, is there a way for me to know how many days left I have on my R/O? I've been R/Oed for 14 days but I have no idea when that happened, therefore I have no idea when it ends.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

April Fool posted:

I can't remember every alliance that was in imp before the war. Who is left?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I can't remember every alliance that was in imp before the war. Who is left?

Given that we widot'ed most of FCON and SMA's active pvpers, everyone of consequence.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Siets posted:

Wormholin or k-space?

And yeah, I sympathize. My first ever T3 was a super blingfit faction/deadspace legion that, while I could technically afford to lose, I wasn't mentally ready to lose. Ever since, I've become super averse to putting faction or deadspace mods on anything at all.

It was in nullsec, a proteus started following us around, I jumped a gate and without a prop mod (only MJD) I couldn't burn back to gate so I decided to just go for it, he lit a cyno and three carriers later, rip https://zkillboard.com/kill/53969117/

Was still a remarkably good fight, the golem was tanking the first two carriers easily but it's when the third landed I started really dying. The real thing that made the loss hurt (because it was a cheap golem all things considered) was I had the proteus into deep structure, and he was the only one stopping me from mjding, when I hit a reload cycle. But in retrospect the carriers would have melted me as soon as I dropped out of bastion anyway.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Dalael posted:

Deadtear, is there a way for me to know how many days left I have on my R/O? I've been R/Oed for 14 days but I have no idea when that happened, therefore I have no idea when it ends.

no you havent, it was on may 2, it's may 13 now

edit i misread i took it to mean you said "ive been r/o for 14 days already"

FruitNYogurtParfait fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 14, 2016

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

HOLE SQUAD RIDES

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

no you havent, it was on may 2, it's may 13 now

edit i misread i took it to mean you said "ive been r/o for 14 days already"

Thanks for looking.

dodkalm
Nov 27, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

HOLE SQUAD RIDES

WHAT A DAY! WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I never quite understood the whole, "Reset FCON!" mentality nor why people want to shoot them that badly.
But it will be my pleasure to shoot them when the time comes.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
they're already reset so that day is now?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

Dalael posted:

I never quite understood the whole, "Reset FCON!" mentality nor why people want to shoot them that badly.
But it will be my pleasure to shoot them when the time comes.

they enjoyed shooting us when we weren't allowed to shoot back on orders from CD

they were also insufferably ehonourabru

their day of reckoning has come

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

they're already reset so that day is now?

The time has come for anyone willing to make the trip to meet them to fight. I'm too lazy for that so I just kill die on the saranen undock or die somewhere in Fade.

Fix Lag posted:

they enjoyed shooting us when we weren't allowed to shoot back on orders from CD

they were also insufferably ehonourabru

their day of reckoning has come

Bring back some killmails! :black101:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

abigserve posted:

It was in nullsec, a proteus started following us around, I jumped a gate and without a prop mod (only MJD) I couldn't burn back to gate so I decided to just go for it, he lit a cyno and three carriers later, rip https://zkillboard.com/kill/53969117/

Was still a remarkably good fight, the golem was tanking the first two carriers easily but it's when the third landed I started really dying. The real thing that made the loss hurt (because it was a cheap golem all things considered) was I had the proteus into deep structure, and he was the only one stopping me from mjding, when I hit a reload cycle. But in retrospect the carriers would have melted me as soon as I dropped out of bastion anyway.

Heh, all 3 of those carrier pilots are ex-groon. They learned their finely honed blap carrier skills on the mean streets of syndicate, no shame dying to them.

EDIT: As I posted this, sven popped into groon TS. Apparently Vic and Aya were having issues with their fighters. You did make vic very concerned about losing his proteus though.

rip groon's main draw

Join groon, Shoot SMA, Never worry about your alliance reblueing FCON.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 14, 2016

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Dalael posted:

Considering that jumping out is the JF's only real defense.

JFs have all the defense mechanisms that regular freighters have: webbers, scouts, reps, jams, tds, secondary warp outs. Having extra safety is fine, but I think being able to jump out of highsec tips to balance of defense in their favor too much. Angelique herself has admitted that she doesn't use any of the 'freighter defense' things that are available because lol why when you can have one cyno (or two if you're paranoid) and be perfectly safe. They're a capital ship, and should be supported as such. And it's not like people fly JFs without at least 1 extra alt.

rgocs posted:

I wanted to say that it seemed to me you wanted to be able to use the same techniques and effort levels to kill JFs as you do for freighters. [...]

From what you write, you seem to want JFs to behave just like freighters if they go into hisec. I guess they do have faster align, but that wouldn't help them get away.

JFs align faster than regular freighters. Significantly faster. A fenrir with inertial stabilizers is a pain in the dick to bump. One with faction istabs, even more so. I can only think of maybe 5 people in the game that could keep a nomad with faction inertial stabilizers bumped. Last time we killed an istab'd fenrirnomad, it took Warr Akini FCing while Franky Jaeger and I bumped. That's three of the best gankers in the game, and it almost didn't happen. If you add Nomads or Ascendencies to the equation, it becomes nearly impossible to bump them without a suicide point, and nearly impossible to keep them bumped. We don't even try.

JFs have significantly more HP than freighters. Everyone knows this, but it really can't be understated. An anshar with 3 expanders is an obelisk with 3 intertial stabilizers. An anshar with 3 inertial stabilizers is an obelisk with 3 bulkheads. An anshar with 3 bulkheads is 1m EHP vs. void before factor in slaves or boosts.

Under the most optimal circumstances (prepped 0.5 logged off JF), that's 11-27 talos. At the moment, the largest concentration of JFs is in/around Jita. So we'll never have the optimal circumstances. We'll get, if we're lucky, a prepped 0.7, 14-34 talos, depending on fit. Remember, to date, the largest talos fleet MiniLuv has run was 33, and was a max hurf blurf for a 20b X-FEANOR.

So, yeah, JFs are already pretty fuckin' tough to gank even without them jumping straight the gently caress out. We've done it before, it's doable, but waiting for a JF to jump into system and suicide pointing them on gate is hardly compelling or interesting gameplay.

Edit: and that's my problem with this nerf. MiniLuv (and gankers) will still be able to operate, but will either move to a less compelling method of ganking (sitting in one system and dunking anything that comes by on gate) or a more work intensive form of ganking (6 additional characters to keep a freighter bumped, in addition to the absolute minimum 4 support necessary). And even after we adapt, how long until the next nerf comes around that completely owns whatever new methods we come up with?

Double edit cause I'm in a spergy mood:

Reverand maynard posted:

dude its not even just gankers, trying to hunt down hostile logistics in 0.0 is literally impossible unless they jump to a loving cyno beacon

The best method I heard for killing them in nullsec is cynoing 2 titans on station to bump the JF off. I'd convince Warr to fund it, but I can't justify 2 lost titans for a 8b-15b kill.

Dalael posted:

Miniluv and highsec gankers are, in my personal opinion, doing a great job which is very necessary in EVE. But you guys did such a good job, that you literally forced players to improve themselves and not be dumb or lazy. You guys need to be proud of that. People are smarter thanks to you. Something most highschool teachers can't achieve in their lifetime.

It's not really surprising that by having our toes (or entire legs) in the pool, we affect the meta. We've gone through dry spells of overfishing, anti-gank tactics have changed and people's behaviors have changed. Unfortuantely, the current flavor of meta is 'all bulkheads all the time' and 'all JFs all the time.' Thanks Fozzie for slowly draining the blood from hostile counter logistics.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 14, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

JFs have all the defense mechanisms that regular freighters have: webbers, scouts, reps, jams, tds, secondary warp outs. Having extra safety is fine, but I think being able to jump out of highsec tips to balance of defense in their favor too much. Angelique herself has admitted that she doesn't use any of the 'freighter defense' things that are available because lol why when you can have one cyno (or two if you're paranoid) and be perfectly safe. They're a capital ship, and should be supported as such. And it's not like people fly JFs without at least 1 extra alt.

JFs align faster than regular freighters. Significantly faster. A fenrir with inertial stabilizers is a pain in the dick to bump. One with faction istabs, even more so. I can only think of maybe 5 people in the game that could keep a nomad with faction inertial stabilizers bumped. Last time we killed an istab'd fenrirnomad, it took Warr Akini FCing while Franky Jaeger and I bumped. That's three of the best gankers in the game, and it almost didn't happen. If you add Nomads or Ascendencies to the equation, it becomes nearly impossible to bump them without a suicide point, and nearly impossible to keep them bumped. We don't even try.

JFs have significantly more HP than freighters. Everyone knows this, but it really can't be understated. An anshar with 3 expanders is an obelisk with 3 intertial stabilizers. An anshar with 3 inertial stabilizers is an obelisk with 3 bulkheads. An anshar with 3 bulkheads is 1m EHP vs. void before factor in slaves or boosts.

Under the most optimal circumstances (prepped 0.5 logged off JF), that's 11-27 talos. At the moment, the largest concentration of JFs is in/around Jita. So we'll never have the optimal circumstances. We'll get, if we're lucky, a prepped 0.7, 14-34 talos, depending on fit. Remember, to date, the largest talos fleet MiniLuv has run was 33, and was a max hurf blurf for a 20b X-FEANOR.

So, yeah, JFs are already pretty fuckin' tough to gank even without them jumping straight the gently caress out. We've done it before, it's doable, but waiting for a JF to jump into system and suicide pointing them on gate is hardly compelling or interesting gameplay.

Pretty good post which allows me to better understand the challenges you guys face.
Have you read my following post regarding bumping and if so, what are your thoughts on it? (Assuming I was not completely wrong with the bumping mechanic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

Uba whatever / unfunny poster has been disingenuous about this poo poo since he first showed up on SA trying to nail himself to a cross about his own purported doxxing. I asked him about that by PM back then, and not in a hostile way either. But he tried to turn even a PM convo into a umad / concern troll on me. So that's the kind of balls-less forum warrior you're dealing with, and honestly you shouldn't even waste your time.

Really, what kind of person spends months yelling digi doxxed me! to every eve-related site that he can type a post on, then turns around and does a goalpost moving defense like that? Holy poo poo.

So this is a pretty funny post because most of what you're saying is you being dishonest about, well, pretty much everything. As such it's also an :effort: post to point out how much of a lying shithead you are.

Firstly, since you can't tell dates, I've been posting on SA since 2012. That's a full year before I ever joined GSF, and since then I've brought the thing involving me having my personal info dredged up by digi maybe three or four times over the past three years since it happened. Initially it was in PMs/emails to Vyst & Rhymenoserous (whose in-game name I can't remember, I thought it was Smiling Vagrant for a while who I know I poked about it). Elsewhere though it's mostly been in response to someone saying something about it or asking me about it directly. Secondly that PM you're whinging about was in response to me saying that dredging up people's personal information isn't "something a normal person would do" which was back in 2014.

Specifically the quote was

Unfunny Poster posted:

The digi thing gets brought up because, you know, it's not something a normal sane person would do. Given that the general Star Citizen crowd are just as insane as some of the folks from EVE's illustrious community (some of them being EVE-rejects) it's not at all going to be surprising people over there do it (hint: some of them already have and failed miserably at doing it too).

Re: the new map, yeah it's a cool feature and I can't wait to try it out and see what changes get made.

This is the full reply you made via a PM (which was conveniently saved due to me being lazy about deleting stuff in inboxes :toot:)

Klyith posted:

> a normal sane person would do.

I ain't gonna keep this going in the eve thread, but I would like to ask you a thing. If I accept your word that you got investigated by Digi down to the IRL identity and found it creepy and intrusive and yet you were innocent: do you think spying itself is something a normal sane person would do?

Because I've been thinking about it and I can't really see a way to square condemning one without the other. I also don't see a way to avoid hitting RL names during investigations even if one wasn't looking for it -- if you are trying to chain together some internet aliases and one of them is tied to a name, you can't un-see it. Any search deep enough to confirm spy activity has that potential.

I still agree that Digi was a creep beyond the acceptable bounds by disclosing any of that that information publicly or really to anyone at all. But if being an internet detective is awful, so is infiltrating an organization and lying to a bunch of people while pretending to be a completely different person.

To which I replied with...

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you can't tell the difference between not actively rooting through someone's personal information to find out about their real life (i.e. job, sexuality etc.) and comparing IP addresses to root out potential spies then I really can't be asked to explain it to you.

So, sure maybe I was being a bit of an rear end in a top hat there and hurt your feelings so badly over a year ago you're still butthurt over it today. However, you were, in that quote, arguing that it's perfectly fine for someone to look up another guys personal info because spies are a thing in EVE and that makes them A-OK to do that to. I even stated for you that comparing IPs is fine in my book, which it is, just not looking up a dudes real life name, his Facebook, etc. and using that in any manner since that's greasy as gently caress. Again, something most people here on SA agree with as well as elsewhere. Mainly because most people understand it's a video game and that's crossing that boundary between "this is for fun" and "this is being creepy." Spying exists in several other games, and if people are doing it there that's also dumb and bad.

Moving on, in the past year or so since that convo happened I've maybe mentioned my own issues with that stuff only on SA less times than I have fingers on my left hand (hint it's more than 4, but less than 6). I never raised a stink about it while at TMC, save for when Mittani asked me in a PM specifically about it. That includes both the first run and the short lived second run there. It was never brought up on CZ while I was there. I've never brought it up on my stream or in my videos on my own media channels. I've never posted about on Reddit, nor on FHC, or any other EVE related forum. I've maybe responded to PMs on IRC by people asking about it (iirc they were BAT people) but that's about it for PL services. The cute little narrative you are making up of me running around talking about it is well, pretty easily debunked. Mostly because you can trawl my posts pretty much everywhere I post and see for youself what I did or didn't say. I've raised more of an issue with the Marlona Sky thing across various forums than the digi thing, mostly because Marlona brings it up himself every now and then. So yeah, feel free to look at what I posted etc. unless you're just being disingenuous, which is pretty funny given your initial line about me. :sun:. Hell I've even gone on record saying I have no qualms about being accused of being a spy, even so much as to joke about it since then. I do still however think that using someone's personal info over a video game in any manner is bad and shouldn't be done. Something most sane people would agree with.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 14, 2016

• Locked thread