Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there some tell for dodging Oceiros' charge in phase two? Never had problems with him before but I'm fighting him early in a caestus run and he's uhhhhh kicking my rear end. I can dodge everything else but the charge seems to hit you if you're anywhere near him and I can't figure out what the tell for it is, or where to stand to avoid it while still being in punching range.

Normally this didn't matter because he died before I ran out of estus but right now I have a damage output equivalent to a bumblebee sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
What's the best spot for boss co-op at around 120? Probably princes, nameless king, soul of cinder? I wasn't getting a lot of hits at princes because there were too many other signs nearby.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there some tell for dodging Oceiros' charge in phase two? Never had problems with him before but I'm fighting him early in a caestus run and he's uhhhhh kicking my rear end. I can dodge everything else but the charge seems to hit you if you're anywhere near him and I can't figure out what the tell for it is, or where to stand to avoid it while still being in punching range.

Normally this didn't matter because he died before I ran out of estus but right now I have a damage output equivalent to a bumblebee sting.

No, it's really bad. His entire body turns into a hitbox.

Lobosjr's SL1 run got stuck there for a good couple hours for that reason. Fights start in this video at around the 30 minute mark if you want to learn from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkOOHXRUGk

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I bought the helm, chest, shield, and gloves, which are all patches sells.

I have beaten old demon king, just don't know where else to go to get to the valley.

you forgot his pants dude.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Had an absolutely perfect plunge attack on a guy I was invading ruined because of lag. The sword went right through him and it didn't register, and then he killed me after I took the fall damage :sigh:

PvP in general in this game can be so discouraging because of how garbage the netcode is.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I keep the watchdogs covenant active for the entirety of my NG+ run up until I finally make it to Farron Keep and am instantly invaded by another doggo.

I was pretty much running on steam by then and he of course had a super twink build, so I guess congrats on the win for probably the only invasion you got the entire night, dogpal. :confuoot:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I have a theory that the auto-summon covenants work on a very simple principle: Their likelihood to summon you is directly proportional to how inconvenient it would be for you to be summoned right at that moment at time.

I know a good 90% of my sentinel summons grab me right before I'm about to kill something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
He probably felt pretty vindicated about that since he was probably hanging out there for hours and only got a handful of hits.

I always have the bluecop covenant on while I'm progressing and never get hits, but if I start invading I get bluecopped one every eight or ten invasions (I don't really do any end-game PvP). I wonder if it's just that there aren't enough invaders for the number of blues. Are there level restrictions for the blue too? Maybe it's just the odds of the mark, the blue, and the invader all being within the same level range.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if lots of people just feel kinda burned out on PvP thanks to the apparent abundance of hackers and the incredibly unreliable netcode. It never seemed to be quite this rough in DS2 unless my memory is all rosy-tinted from the nonstop mayhem of the belltowers.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'm having way too many problems summoning phantoms for boss fights :(

Got to the secret area now, I'll finally finish the game tomorrow. Game is good, also, judge my fashion souls:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mazed posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if lots of people just feel kinda burned out on PvP thanks to the apparent abundance of hackers and the incredibly unreliable netcode. It never seemed to be quite this rough in DS2 unless my memory is all rosy-tinted from the nonstop mayhem of the belltowers.

No, you're right in regards to hacking.

DS3 is really bad because a lot of people could just import the nasty poo poo from DS1 directly. There is barely any sense of people needing to discover how to do things this time.

With DS2, it took months before bad stuff become public and packaged into an easy-to-use form by trolls. It took a very long time for other people to be able to do what I figured out how to do within the first couple of weeks of DS2's release. There are still a few things that, as far as I am aware, only I know how to do properly.

The same trolls are at it again in DS3, but a lot faster and from the word go due to the similarity to DS1.

Honestly though, now that From finally got their act together after almost four years, a lot of the bullshit is gone. I do not exaggerate when I tell you that to stop a lot of this, all they had to do was change one-to-three flags in some effect definitions. They could have done this in thirty minutes, no questions asked.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 14, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

Got to the secret area now, I'll finally finish the game tomorrow. Game is good, also, judge my fashion souls:

you're gonna fall off the pirate ship and sink to the bottom of the ocean dumbass

e: I can't take a screenshot now but my current "look" is sunless veil, mirrah vest, shadow gauntlets, and brigand trousers. try it out. you become a badass desert warlord.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

ZZZorcerer posted:

Baller tricorner does not match the contour-fitting seams of the awesome platemail.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Suggestion: Farm the gloves from the flame-bearer enemies in Irithyll. They're sleek and clawed and match the Dancer chest perfectly. The headpiece is trickier because the Dancer chest has such a smooth neckline without any flares or collars, but you can try the flame-bearer helm too, or otherwise, Yuria's mask (if you don't mind killing her), Lothric's cowl, Outrider helm, or even just the basic mail coif. Or of course, the Dancer helm, though you're practically obligated to use a weapon with a flourishing moveset to complement the flowing veil.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I did stuff with Eygon, but his weapons and armor didn't show up. I read "after Dragonchaser's armor go to where you found Irina. So I did... but nothing there... and Handmaiden does not have his armor. I guess I didn't finish his quest right, unless there is something I haven't (and can still) do?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Feenix posted:

I did stuff with Eygon, but his weapons and armor didn't show up. I read "after Dragonchaser's armor go to where you found Irina. So I did... but nothing there... and Handmaiden does not have his armor. I guess I didn't finish his quest right, unless there is something I haven't (and can still) do?

You have to buy everything from Irina and get her to become a Firekeeper. You also can't learn any dark miracles from irina.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

I think you also need to have bought every single holy miracle/no dark miracles from Irina.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZZZorcerer posted:

Ignore everyone saying to get rid of the pirate hat. It adds character.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GulagDolls posted:

you're gonna fall off the pirate ship and sink to the bottom of the ocean dumbass

e: I can't take a screenshot now but my current "look" is sunless veil, mirrah vest, shadow gauntlets, and brigand trousers. try it out. you become a badass desert warlord.

My fashion thing is Dancer's Crown, Mirrah Vest, Undead Legion and Sunless leggings. No pic right now either, but the gauntlets are asymmetrical (gloved right hand, metal gauntlet left) which is cool, the crown and vest are the same blue and they flow together really well, and I like how the chainmail skirt on the leggings fits with the tabard and left hip plate of the Vest.

That said there's a lot of other legs that go well- anything that's pants and boots (Drang, Karla's, Pontiff Knight, Leonhardt's, etc), Morne's has its own chain skirt and a slightly darker colour, Lorian's is really nice because it too is the same blue and the tattered skirt goes with the vest and crown, dragonscale waistcloth, Painting Guardian waistcloth...

Mirrah vest is just too good, is what I'm saying here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Ignore everyone saying to get rid of the pirate hat. It adds character.

Yeah, plus I hardly see it alongside hard torso armor so you've got some bonus points there.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://gfycat.com/AncientBitesizedElephantseal

is this supposed to happen

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kinda sucks that Eygon has to have such an ignominious end. They managed to pack a lot of character into him, for how little he shows up. Aside from the allusions to Garl Vinland and Lautrec, he's got the embittered, sardonic attitude you might expect, yet unlike your typical crestfallen knight, does care about his job and about Irina, despite that he feels like her situation is beyond his ability to help, stopping by to check on her and making good on his word. This is all good, but the best thing of all is his shield, which he had sculpted to bear his sister's face because of course he did. It's such a random detail yet seems to say a lot about a person and the people in his life. What it says is up to interpretation, but that's part of the humor in it.

Obviously working as intended because that happened to me once during a jog from the Dancer bonfire to the Consumed King's Garden, just before the cathedral knight. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are the standard Halberd and Red-Hilted Halberd the only ones with thrusting movesets? I suppose it doesn't matter much cause the Red-Hilted Halberd is insane. Perserverance out of being stunlocked (it also deflects attacks) and go for the hyperarmor spin2win. It's even stronger than the standard Halberd at the same weight and total equivalent stat requirements so I have no idea why you wouldn't use it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
If you are trying to White summon your bros through NK and you want aggro, just pummel that dummy with throwing knives. He doesn't like it very much.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

In the Smouldering Lake, just before you reach the ballista on the hill you can see this architecture through a gap in the roof. (It's actually what the one stationary skeleton is staring at)

I can't think of a location in game that matches up, any ideas?

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 14, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Alabaster White posted:

Are the standard Halberd and Red-Hilted Halberd the only ones with thrusting movesets? I suppose it doesn't matter much cause the Red-Hilted Halberd is insane. Perserverance out of being stunlocked (it also deflects attacks) and go for the hyperarmor spin2win. It's even stronger than the standard Halberd at the same weight and total equivalent stat requirements so I have no idea why you wouldn't use it.

It's pretty good but the 2hand moveset is kind of rear end compared to the other halberds, it feels like you barely thrust forwards with the R1 so the range sucks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

In the Smouldering Lake, just before you reach the ballista on the hill you can see this architecture through a gap in the roof. (It's actually what the one immobile skeleton is staring at)

thats irithyll

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kild posted:

thats irithyll

Specifically, it's the bridge between the distant manor and irithyl dungeon's entrance.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

In the Smouldering Lake, just before you reach the ballista on the hill you can see this architecture through a gap in the roof. (It's actually what the one stationary skeleton is staring at)

It's the path from the manor to the dungeon.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ah! That's it exactly, I thought it would be part of Irithyll but couldn't think of a bridge that short.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

WaltherFeng posted:

Abyss Watchers is probably the most memorable fight for me. A very powerful scene with great music.

yup yup :agreed:

Ive only played bloodborne and this, but abyss watchers might be the best of both of them. that or ludwig

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
So NG PVP post final boss has been a lot of "meta" best build however in NG+ and higher everyone just resorts to whatever because everyone has max HP and Stamina.

I've been having too much fun with a Greatsword and Iron Flesh Pyromancy. No one ever expects Iron Flesh because everyone starts attacking hard when I start walking slowly but because my immense Iron Flesh poise plus Hyper Armor with Greatswords I can muscle through any sort of attack short of two-handed ultra great attacks. With this I can kill most people and other players get clearly demoralized after getting hit a ton of times with me constantly moving forward.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RyokoTK posted:

PvP in general in this game can be so discouraging because of how garbage the netcode is.

It's happens way too often that I predict parry someone and then can't riposte them because their damage went through and I'm stunned :smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Blaziken386 posted:

Attempted to hide via chameleon - "oh poo poo, the invader is right there. gently caress."

I did that the other day. Probably would have been fine if I hadn't moved just as he wandered around the corner.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cyberventurer posted:

Invaded by a guy, he gets demolished by my new game plus seeded enemies. He puts out a friend request on Steam, so I brace myself for someone raging at me...

...And it turns out to be an old online friend who I hadn't spoken with in a couple of years, because he happened to recognize my character name so he reached out on a hunch. What are the odds of that? :toot:

Awesome. I had that happen on Facebook years ago with an old RL friend who I'd lost track of and it was so nice to get back in contact with the person.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The weakest enemy in the game is surely the fight club host.

A surprising number of people get upset when you turn on them. It always saddens me - don't they want their covenant item?

The actual weakest enemy in the game are the other fight club participants just before the match ends.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I can't be the only one who never uses my last Estus... gotta pour one out for Greirat.

Cyberventurer posted:

Invaded by a guy, he gets demolished by my new game plus seeded enemies. He puts out a friend request on Steam, so I brace myself for someone raging at me...

...And it turns out to be an old online friend who I hadn't spoken with in a couple of years, because he happened to recognize my character name so he reached out on a hunch. What are the odds of that? :toot:

Did you tell him he's poo poo?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Digirat posted:

Because Chaos Co-op is best the way to play the game and if you don't have fun being a cruddy anarchist then I don't know what to tell you

I have close to 15 vertebra shackles after just a few hours of using the purple sign, and I have never attacked a host or a friendly phantom once

That seems pretty hard to do, I try to not hit my fellow invaders but inevitably hit them with a couple light swings before killing the host. It seems much quicker to invade though since the enemies won't attack you and you can't accidentally kill the host after trying to kill a bunch of mobs for them in a huge clusterfuck melee.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Might be a bug with the new patch, i got instantly teleported to the floor beneath me last night as son as i activated an illusory wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

It's a high damage move with a huge hitbox and very fast activation. If there's a tell that someone could reasonably respond to at close range other than "he's not currently in the middle of another move", I must've missed it.

There might be some AI manipulation you can do to prevent him from pulling out that move, but I don't know what it would be aside from staying behind him.