Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

WampaLord posted:

The problem is he thinks he will owe $0 in taxes for unknown reasons. It's much more likely he will owe several thousand dollars in taxes and won't have any money to pay it because:

Not that other aspects of the plan aren't dumb, but maybe he's counting on receiving the $7,500 EV tax credit to offset some of the tax liability? It's possible that the math would work out such that he could avoid an underpayment penalty, especially if he already had excess withholding from earlier in the year.

Stutes fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stutes posted:

Not that other aspects of the plan aren't dumb, but maybe he's counting on receiving the $7,500 EV tax credit to offset some of the tax liability? It's possible that the math would work out such that he could avoid an underpayment penalty.

If he makes $105k, his total tax liability before deductions or anything else is approximately $22,000. I'm assuming he's single and childless because, well, come on.

With that credit and the standard deduction, he'd still owe multiple thousands of dollars and he'll have to pay it all at once because he turned off his withholdings.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Moneyball posted:

Yes to both, but some of the programs are insanely overpriced. Becker, for example, while quite thorough, is upwards of $4,000. For that, you get lectures (not that useful) a physical and e-book, and the real reason: test bank. You can pass using the test bank exclusively. Other programs sell the test banks for anywhere from $50 to $400.

I won't even get in to the registration fees... register be able to register to be able to register for a test.

What percentage of CPA (students/candidates?) get that paid for by employers? For the CAS (P&C actuaries) its 2-3K per exam in seminar/registration fees and there are 10 exams. But big employers are typically very generous with support (so not BWM). The worst part is the pass rate for each exam hovers around 40% and if you fail you have to wait up to a year to retake it. And actuaries will probably be replaced by data scientists/robots in our dystopian hell-scape future (so very BWL).

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

WampaLord posted:

If he makes $105k, his total tax liability before deductions or anything else is approximately $22,000. I'm assuming he's single and childless because, well, come on.

With that credit and the standard deduction, he'd still owe multiple thousands of dollars and he'll have to pay it all at once because he turned off his withholdings.

Yeah, but that $22,000 is for the full year. If he only stopped withholding for the four-ish months he was hoarding cash, the prorated tax liability would be in the neighborhood of $7-8k.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

last laugh posted:

What percentage of CPA (students/candidates?) get that paid for by employers? For the CAS (P&C actuaries) its 2-3K per exam in seminar/registration fees and there are 10 exams. But big employers are typically very generous with support (so not BWM). The worst part is the pass rate for each exam hovers around 40% and if you fail you have to wait up to a year to retake it. And actuaries will probably be replaced by data scientists/robots in our dystopian hell-scape future (so very BWL).

If you work at a big 4, and likely many more companies, they will usually cover it. My company doesn't, so I'm doing it on my own, which on one hand, is BWM, but just getting it out of the way will be GWM once it's all done.

I'll resume my BWM ways once I finish the CPA because I find data science more appealing. There's a market for a CPA with business analytics skills... right? :shobon:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Moneyball posted:

If you work at a big 4, and likely many more companies, they will usually cover it. My company doesn't, so I'm doing it on my own, which on one hand, is BWM, but just getting it out of the way will be GWM once it's all done.

I'll resume my BWM ways once I finish the CPA because I find data science more appealing. There's a market for a CPA with business analytics skills... right? :shobon:
My company (not big4, not public accounting) paid for my CPA materials and tests and gives me PTO to test. Now, they're also working me enough I can't study enough to pass but that's another problem.

Also big4 has CPA's with business analytics skills. It's a big division at all forms.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

They can only make him pay taxes if they can catch him as he speeds away in his fast new car though :c00lbert:

Well, for the first 200 miles or so

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

last laugh posted:

The CAS itself is hilariously good with money; no matter how good the study materials get or how well educated the workforce is, those upper level exams always hover at 40% pass rate, keeping those sweet sweet exam fees coming in.

I've seen a fuckton of automation in the past few years but all it has done is replace low level general "business analyst" and IT work. For actuarial it just ends up spawning more and more advanced projects. I will say that the profession is getting way more technical though. If you're under 30 and want to build a career, some programming and database skills are mandatory going forward.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Eyes Only posted:

If you're under 30 and want to build a career, some programming and database skills are mandatory going forward.

IMO this is true across a majority of white-collar desk job type of work. And if not strictly mandatory, having some very basic programming and database skills to automate and verify your workflows and reports makes you 10x more valuable than someone who can't.

If your day to day involves formulaic repetitive tasks, generating reports, or moving data around between systems it will be largely automated eventually. May as well get out in front of it and be the one doing the automating.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Guinness posted:

IMO this is true across a majority of white-collar desk job type of work. And if not strictly mandatory, having some very basic programming and database skills to automate and verify your workflows and reports makes you 10x more valuable than someone who can't.

If your day to day involves formulaic repetitive tasks, generating reports, or moving data around between systems it will be largely automated eventually. May as well get out in front of it and be the one doing the automating.

Programming bootcamps seem to be the new University of Phoenix as far as respectability (or so I've read- I could be completely full of poo poo) but I've been thinking of taking the Level course offered by Northeastern. Is that a good way to get up to speed?

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Eyes Only posted:

The CAS itself is hilariously good with money; no matter how good the study materials get or how well educated the workforce is, those upper level exams always hover at 40% pass rate, keeping those sweet sweet exam fees coming in.

Yep, they (and the SOA, too) constantly re-baseline to keep the ratios more or less consistent; today's 3 is yesterday's 7, etc etc. Not really surprising that the actuaries are good at rigging the numbers for their racket professional designation!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Moneyball posted:

Programming bootcamps seem to be the new University of Phoenix as far as respectability (or so I've read- I could be completely full of poo poo) but I've been thinking of taking the Level course offered by Northeastern. Is that a good way to get up to speed?

There are a bunch of free options available online.

I don't know exactly what are in those programming boot camps, but I'm fairly sure that they hand wave a bunch of poo poo that will look like magic to you if you've never programmed anything in your life or have a very bad understanding of math.

Like real talk, knowing how to navigate and use functions in Excel is probably higher on the priority list than "knows how to make a Java program say hello world to an HTML page".

The real job skill is identifying work flows that just need some sort of number crunching or manipulation, and leveraging that. Choosing the language should be the last thing on the list because it honestly doesn't matter that much.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Most bootcamps are geared toward landing a junior web developer job, and will typically teach you just the bare minimum amount of Ruby/Rails, Node/Express, or Python/Django and maybe a javascript framework like Angular or React to help you pass an interview.

That stuff is all mostly irrelevant to the type of scripting work that is valuable to an analyst.

Become an excel guru (macros, SQL imports, etc.), learn how to write good SQL queries that don't hang the DB server, and learn how to script rote tasks in Python/Powershell/VB.net and you're already ahead of the curve. For the most part it's just being able to identify easily automatable tasks and teaching yourself out how to do it with Google. If you find yourself repeating the same formulaic task more than a handful of times, rather than mindlessly repeating it by hand figure out how to script it.

And there's a bajillion and one free resources on the internet for that sort of stuff, ranging from basic programming tutorials (syntax, operators, functions, etc.), to algorithmic exercises, to stuff like StackOverflow and other message boards where people Q&A about how to solve specific problems. You don't need classes, and you especially don't need a bootcamp to get started.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Phone posted:

Like real talk, knowing how to navigate and use functions in Excel is probably higher on the priority list than "knows how to make a Java program say hello world to an HTML page".
Most of my accountant coworkers loving blow at Excel. And it's what we do most of our work in. I consider myself intermediate (I can write basic macros and do *lots* with formulas..) and I am very advanced out of my whole finance dept. The recent grads (I am one) are the worst, university doesn't teach poo poo about Excel.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is the BWM thread so I'll try to wrap this up (or move it to the career path thread) but if one of you doesn't mind taking a look at this and giving an opinion, that would be helpful.

R, MySQL, Tableau, etc. Sounds good, but maybe they don't go in to any depth on each of those.

http://www.leveledu.com/curriculum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tableau does not require a course.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neither does MySQL really, just think of it like a command line version of a spreadsheet.

gently caress I learned SQL from tutorials and loving around on my own and I am now more knowledgable than everyone else at my company about it, which is just sad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Tableau doesn't require a course, but it does require a fairly expensive membership so bear that in mind if the company isn't paying for it. I personally wouldn't worry about Tableau, it's a tool you can pick up in a weekend if you have to because your job is going to make you use it. I wouldn't take a course in Microsoft Word or worry about whether I "know" Outlook.

Speaking as someone with a computer science degree who makes a lot of money doing software development stuff, I use very little from my college years and I've never had a bootcamp that wasn't a waste of time. Just looking up tutorials and playing around is the best way to learn anything.

quote:

gently caress I learned SQL from tutorials and loving around on my own and I am now more knowledgable than everyone else at my company about it, which is just sad.

That's very believable, but remember that Bernstein says that if you finish If You Can and the supplemental reading, in a few months you'll know more about finance than most finance professionals, which is also true. Except for doctors and lawyers, most knowledge-based professions are frauds.

Sorry for contributing to the derail :saddowns:

To contribute: some friends of me and my wife are getting married next month. Hooray!

But one weekend next month, my wife is going to a cabin with the bride-to-be and her bridesmaids to drink on a boat, and all told this will probably end up costing north of $400. That's fine, whatever. We've known about it for six months and we budgeted accordingly.

But we were having dinner with them a week ago and the following weekend the groom will be having his bachelor party, which he/they were trying to pressure me into going to. It will include skydiving in the morning, a music festival in the afternoon/evening, and then getting dressed to the nines to go out clubbing in suits all night long.

Of course, since the bride doesn't want to be left out, she's trying to organize her own all-day eating and drinking out extravaganza. So between the two, we'd be looking at another $500-$700 for this second vanity weekend.

My wife and I have mutually agreed to find a way not to take part in this second weekend of stupidity.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 13, 2016

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

They can only make him pay taxes if they can catch him as he speeds away in his fast new car though :c00lbert:

All they need to do is follow him for a couple hundred miles until it runs out of juice

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Tableau doesn't require a course, but it does require a fairly expensive membership so bear that in mind if the company isn't paying for it. I personally wouldn't worry about Tableau, it's a tool you can pick up in a weekend if you have to because your job is going to make you use it. I wouldn't take a course in Microsoft Word or worry about whether I "know" Outlook.

Speaking as someone with a computer science degree who makes a lot of money doing software development stuff, I use very little from my college years and I've never had a bootcamp that wasn't a waste of time. Just looking up tutorials and playing around is the best way to learn anything.

That's very believable, but remember that Bernstein says that if you finish If You Can and the supplemental reading, in a few months you'll know more about finance than most finance professionals, which is also true. Except for doctors and lawyers, most knowledge-based professions are frauds.

Sorry for contributing to the derail :saddowns:

To contribute: some friends of me and my wife are getting married next month. Hooray!

But one weekend next month, my wife is going to a cabin with the bride-to-be and her bridesmaids to drink on a boat, and all told this will probably end up costing north of $400. That's fine, whatever. We've known about it for six months and we budgeted accordingly.

But we were having dinner with them a week ago and the following weekend the groom will be having his bachelor party, which he/they were trying to pressure me into going to. It will include skydiving in the morning, a music festival in the afternoon/evening, and then getting dressed to the nines to go out clubbing in suits all night long.

Of course, since the bride doesn't want to be left out, she's trying to organize her own all-day eating and drinking out extravaganza. So between the two, we'd be looking at another $500-$700 for this second vanity weekend.

My wife and I have mutually agreed to find a way not to take part in this second weekend of stupidity.

Extravagant weddings, bachelor/ette parties, and baby showers thrown by the recipients are all the same kind of disgusting to me. Oh, you want to have a destination wedding, or you want all 8 of your bridesmaids to wear the same ugly, expensive dress but you can't afford to fly everybody out/put them up/clothe all the people in your party? Guess what, that means you can't afford the thing you want! I get it, travel is awesome, playing dress up is fun on occasion, but own it: that's for you and expecting people to burn their vacation and significant money on you without even an acknowledgement that's what you're doing is a special kind of deluded.

I understand the traditions, but they are largely outdated. In most cases I'm not sure even a bachelor/ette party is warranted since most people who get married in their thirties have had ample time to tear it up, couples who have established their own houses before getting married are just as likely to have to get rid of duplicate items as to really need anything, and a baby shower should be thrown by a friend, not you, not your spouse, not your immediate family. I've had friends tell me about bullshit wedding registries that were full of video games.

Obviously big weddings are not my thing: I don't understand the need for public ceremony for something that is ultimately quite private and even if I did, I could never justify expecting people to spend significant time and money to make it happen. The same goes for a party prior; I get the tradition of the last bash, but expecting people to 1. spend an entire day or more on it 2. spend more money than the cost of your drinks and food is so greedy and entitled that I feel a little embarrassed for people who take part in this stuff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

canyoneer posted:

Well, for the first 200 miles or so

You can outrun a crown vic, but you can't outrun Motorola.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dillbag posted:

I dont get this loss edit.
Thanks for this; you made my day. I had a longass day, and this goofy rear end comment made me laugh.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Re: extravagant weddings, money spent on a wedding correlates with chance of divorce, probably because blowing tons of money on a ~*~destination wedding~*~ indicates that you may be vain and bad with money.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Re: extravagant weddings, money spent on a wedding correlates with chance of divorce, probably because blowing tons of money on a ~*~destination wedding~*~ indicates that you may be vain and bad with money.

It's probably cause poor people can't afford divorce lawyers and have heavy financial and support incentives to remain in a bad marriage but don't let that keep you from stereotyping people that value spending money on their wedding and start that stupid derail where everyone jerks themselves off on how little they spent again.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pr0zac posted:

It's probably cause poor people can't afford divorce lawyers and have heavy financial and support incentives to remain in a bad marriage but don't let that keep you from stereotyping people that value spending money on their wedding and start that stupid derail where everyone jerks themselves off on how little they spent again.
Poor people are more likely to divorce, not less. Don't let that keep you from your righteous indignation, though!

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cicero posted:

Poor people are more likely to divorce, not less. Don't let that keep you from your righteous indignation, though!

If there's one thing that I learned from this thread it's that poverty and wedding expenditure don't correlate (through wedding loans etc).

Though one can very well lead to the other!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cicero posted:

The relationships between divorce and income, age cohort, age of marriage, race, religion, nationality, etc are far too complicated and nuanced to summarize in one or two sweeping sentences

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Good news! You're on the Internet where none of that matters.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Cringing so hard right now, I've entered fuckin' bizarro land. I don't want a wedding but my parents do, so they've suggested some venues, told me to pick one and they'll pay and organise the rest except where my direct input is required (like a dress).

I don't even know what's GWM or BWM anymore.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If you agree to any of their ideas you'll hate every single minute between right now and the ceremony. Do it the way you want, believe me.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

froglet posted:

Cringing so hard right now, I've entered fuckin' bizarro land. I don't want a wedding but my parents do, so they've suggested some venues, told me to pick one and they'll pay and organise the rest except where my direct input is required (like a dress).

Would they accept a compromise like you and your spouse having the ceremony you want and they throw a reception?

If you want to get all symbolic about it, getting married is one of a few institutions that objectively say 'I'm an adult' and adults are, you know, independent of their parents. You don't HAVE to do anything they want, but if you offer a compromise maybe they'll see you're trying to acknowledge their wants while drawing your own boundaries?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Aliquid posted:

If you agree to any of their ideas you'll hate every single minute between right now and the ceremony. Do it the way you want, believe me.

This.

My wife and I wanted something GWM and simple so we went to the courthouse with some friends and the lady there even did a short ceremony for us and then we had fish tacos afterwards. It was perfect and that's the day we celebrate when it's anniversary time.

BUT the lady's mom really really wanted a fancy something or other with a rabbi present so we (reluctantly) agreed to let her fund something bigger. It turned out fine, but it was far from a wonderful experience since I don't even like setting other people's money on fire and a large family reunion with you at the center means you can't actually enjoy your own party.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here comes a conga line of motherfuckers to share their GWM wedding experience... again

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
My mother-in-law planned the wedding party and it was fantastic, she could have been a pro wedding planner. No "issues" but I think it helped I didn't have a "dream wedding" in mind so I went with her ideas which were very tasteful.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

froglet posted:

Tell them you want your wedding at Dave and Busters, then after it's done you can spend all the extra money playing the games and drinking!

One of my coworkers just got married actually. In the lobby of our building at work. Officiated by another coworker, who's a notary, who is allowed to marry people in the state of Florida apparently? Then they came up to the office for the "reception" in which everyone at work that day got cake, and they went off on their honeymoon after :3:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Aliquid posted:

Seconding this like it's a motion to give everybody hookers and blow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Here comes a conga line of motherfuckers to share their GWM wedding experience... again

Wedding derail worst derail.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

As someone who spent the exact right amount of money on his wedding, I

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

One of my coworkers just got married actually. In the lobby of our building at work. Officiated by another coworker, who's a notary, who is allowed to marry people in the state of Florida apparently? Then they came up to the office for the "reception" in which everyone at work that day got cake, and they went off on their honeymoon after :3:

Was the honeymoon in the accounting department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

As someone who spent the exact right amount of money on his wedding, I

And definitely did not skimp on the photographer

• Locked thread