Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yes, I forgot that once an artist is popular enough, the lyrics of their songs don't hold meaning anymore.

The song is explicitly Gospel worship music, not sure what's unclear about that. It's not subtle. It's not metaphor. The entirety of the songs lyrics are dedicated to the concept that devoting time to praising God will yield blessings.

The dude announced his born-againedness on Twitter FFS.

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/693833227987980290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey, good luck with that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Music is only good if religious people don't make it, gotcha.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I never said it was bad though? Good songs can be religious by religious people, but it doesn't alter the religiosity of the song.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ (:angel:) this thread

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ya I am pretty sure CBC played it because it just came out and is popular, not because of the lyrical content. Jesus Christ dude.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It should have been excluded from play because of its lyrical content. Just like they should exclude music that promotes homeopathy, reiki, or human sacrifice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sliderule posted:

It should have been excluded from play because of its lyrical content. Just like they should exclude music that promotes homeopathy, reiki, or human sacrifice.

Oh my goodness

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or money for nothing because it has the word human being in the song.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
But this article has nothing to do with Saudi dissidents :confused:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Imagine if they had talked about gang activity and then played a tupac song! What kind of agenda does the CBC have?!

e: I couldn't think of any actual gangsta rap songs released in the past 5 years but I guess a The Game song would've been more relevant whatever gently caress you

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

sliderule posted:

Destroy the model of the church in the Museum of History

Burn any and all art inspired by religion in the National Art Gallery

I don't care for religion either but I'm not so insecure in my beliefs that I melt like sugar in the rain if I see a cross. It's one thing if the state is endorsing those beliefs but come on, ignoring that it exists is stupid and would create more problems in the long run.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I would have never thought that the opinion "the state should not endorse or promote religious beliefs" would have been so contemptible. :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sliderule posted:

:stare:

Are you for real?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sliderule with some bizarre pearl clutching

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sliderule posted:

I would have never thought that the opinion "the state should not endorse or promote religious beliefs" would have been so contemptible. :shrug:

I don't think the CBC playing a religious song really counts as the state endorsing or promoting religious beliefs.

Should we prohibit government funding for any art museums that have paintings of religious subjects (i.e. the majority of them)? Again, I'm pretty much as anti-religion as you can imagine, but religious art doesn't bother me in the slightest in any of its forms. It has inspired great things (I haven't listened to that song, so I'm not sure if it counts as one of them), which is about all the good it's done, so we might as well celebrate that element of it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why don't we burn all the legal and financial systems inspired and sanctioned by religions

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

sliderule posted:

Mainstream religion gets grandfathered really hard thanks to familiarity and comfort

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You would probably have better results if everyone in the thread was not familiar enough to CBC to realize how silly you sound.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Sliderule, Do you know what CBC radio plays every Easter?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Patrick Spens posted:

Sliderule, Do you know what CBC radio plays every Easter?

No, he's probably off on some godless spring break in some modern equivalent of Sodom itself :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Rage against the machine gently caress you I won't do what you tell me

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Rage against the machine gently caress you I won't do what you tell me

Millennial angst spotted

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CBC radio can no longer play the following songs:
God Only Knows by the Beach Boys
Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen
Oi! to the World by the Vandals

Don't want a crown corporation to promote religion!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have you heard what they play on the radio around Christmas?!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Have you heard what they play every Sunday, since and until time immemorial

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I pray to the time beep in the morning, ban it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The state should not sponsor the proliferation of religious content. Worship music is particularly regressive, inviting listeners to devote time to prayer and worship to improve their circumstances in life.

The CBC should not play a song whose core theme was that the use of illicit drugs improves the rate at which good things happen to people, for good reason: it's untrue. For this same reason, worship music should not be sponsored.

It's the same reason I do not support gambling: these things bear the allure of the potential for positive change. People who exercise these beliefs do so in catharsis for actions which actually might promote positive change, like posting on the Something Awful forums.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's ban all universities that teach anything religious

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sliderule posted:

The state should not sponsor the proliferation of religious content. Worship music is particularly regressive, inviting listeners to devote time to prayer and worship to improve their circumstances in life.

The CBC should not play a song whose core theme was that the use of illicit drugs improves the rate at which good things happen to people, for good reason: it's untrue. For this same reason, worship music should not be sponsored.

It's the same reason I do not support gambling: these things bear the allure of the potential for positive change. People who exercise these beliefs do so in catharsis for actions which actually might promote positive change, like posting on the Something Awful forums.

Liquor and drugs cause great things to happen 100% of the time. Also, they cause bad things to happen, but the good things happen reliably. Did you ever have a beer that didn't give you a buzz or a joint that didn't get you high?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sliderule posted:

So what kind of music should the CBC play?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

So what kind of music should the CBC play?

Rush 2112 on repeat to meet cancon requirements

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sliderule posted:

Are you a regular user of r/atheism by any chance?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Rush 2112 on repeat to meet cancon requirements

No it references a weird space cult and therefore is verboten.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

#Atheism is a religion and Adolf Hitler is their prophet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cultural Imperial posted:

Let's ban all universities that teach anything religious

Let's ban all universities that forbid gayness from being allowed to make lawyers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel like I'm in a weird place with religion. When it does terrible things, I abhor it. When it does good things, I celebrate it. Why is it so difficult to accept that is has and will continue to do both things, often to absolute extremes? I get poo poo on for not forgiving its many faults, yet no one looks at when I've defended the good bits.

Christianity has inspired beautiful art and the Spanish Inquisition. Islamic civilization has produced the Alhambra and also Daesh. Why ignore either the bad or the good?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Let's ban all universities that forbid gayness from being allowed to make lawyers.

This is a cool and good idea. In fact, let's just liquidate them legally speaking or physically speaking altogether.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think the only way to truly combat religiousness is shitloads of science education from a very early age. Jehovah looks like such a petty, small thing when you grow up knowing what we're fortunate to know about the universe these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I think the only way to truly combat religiousness is shitloads of science education from a very early age. Jehovah looks like such a petty, small thing when you grow up knowing what we're fortunate to know about the universe these days.

Again, I don't think we can ignore that religion has often been both a motivator for scientific investigation and a huge impediment. The Vatican accepts evolution as settled science now, and Islamic civilization had a very high level of understanding of many things relative to the time.

On the other hand, we mustn't discount that the Catholic Church has done very awful things to hinder science or that it took a Saudi prince going to space for the religious authorities to accept either heliocentrism or the fact that the earth is round, I don't recall which.