Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Mukip posted:

I'm fascinated by the government of Venezuela. I'm trying to get into the frame of mind of somebody who has screwed up this badly, and must surely know that there is no future for them or their country as long as they are in charge, but instead of resigning they think "nope, gonna ride this train off the cliff". I cannot imagine what they think their end-game must be at this point. I really hope somebody somebody does a bunch of interviews with them in 10+ years time, when their government has gone and the heat has died down. I want to know what's going down in the Chavista bunker and how they rationalized their behaviour at the time. "One more slogan-laden speech blaming the USA will turn things around".

It's bunker mentality. Many of the key players realise that when the regime falls, they will be first against the wall. It's easier to live in relative luxury and denial and pretend that the reckoning won't come. For the more self aware who recognise what must come, they probably hope to either squirrel away what they can and scarper, or hope to be viewed as useful enough bureaucrats to be kept on. The true believers are of course a lost cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The CNE just announced that it would (probably) be finished verifying the signatures on June 2.

The CNE's own rules state that they must verify the signatures over the course of five continuous days; however, the rules don't state when they have to start the verification process. Even though the CNE received all of the signatures last Monday, it's going to sit on them until May 26 because that's how long it gave the opposition to collect them.

The CNE rector who made the announcement - Socorro Hernandez - had a bit of a :smuggo: moment when she pointed out that the opposition could have started the referendum process on January 11, but they didn't. There's this really absurd theory coming from PSUV circles that the opposition doesn't really want to recall Maduro, and the fact that they waited as long as they did to start the referendum process is evidence of this.

Austen Tassletine posted:

It's bunker mentality. Many of the key players realise that when the regime falls, they will be first against the wall. It's easier to live in relative luxury and denial and pretend that the reckoning won't come. For the more self aware who recognise what must come, they probably hope to either squirrel away what they can and scarper, or hope to be viewed as useful enough bureaucrats to be kept on. The true believers are of course a lost cause.

I agree. There are a couple of former PSUV big shots who have defected and are now quite likely cooperating with international authorities. Rafael Isea (former governor of Aragua), Leamsy Salazar (former head bodyguard for Chavez), Eladio Aponte Aponte (former Supreme Court judge) come to mind; they're all full of all kinds of juicy dirt on the rest of the PSUV and the leadership in the country.

I think they all realize that "it's either we all stand together, or it's every man for himself". They must all know that they can't trust one another, and that the best chance the individual has to get through this is to make sure that no one else gets any funny ideas about defecting.

El Hefe posted:

They are now accusing the United States of "judicial terrorism" against Venezuela because they dared to catch and prosecute Cilia Flores' nephews for drug trafficking.

For anyone not in the know, this has to do with the case of Efrain and Francisco Flores. They are Maduro's nephews, and he raised one of them as his own son (I can't remember which one). They're related by blood to Cilia Flores, Maduro's wife.

Anyway, they were arrested in Haiti last year allegedly trying to arrange a delivery of 800 kilograms of cocaine with an undercover DEA agent. From what I've heard in the media, the DEA purposely made the deal go down in Haiti because they were sure they could extradite the two immediately from there. This was probably in response to the failed arrest of Hugo Carvajal in Aruba in 2014, who got picked up on the island on an U.S. arrest warrant for allegedly running a drug cartel, but was released before he could be extradited because Venezuela threw a huge fit.

When Efrain and Francisco were arrested, there were weeks and weeks of silence from the Venezuelan government. No one talked about it. Finally, Cilia Flores started to open up a bit, and made a couple of completely asinine comments about how they had been kidnapped by the DEA from Venezuelan territory as part of this global war against Venezuela.

The two had a hearing today, and the start of the trial was scheduled for November 7.

Earlier this week, the prosecutors on the case brought to the court's attention the fact that while the two are being represented by different law firms, both law firms are being paid by the same third party, which remains unnamed. Who is this third party paying for their legal fees? Will we ever find out? :iiam:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I think the whole situation is especially egregious because it seems to be due less to well-meaning yet bumbling incompetence, and is more due to a disregard for the state of affairs that almost verges on sneering maliciousness. Like, yes, the PSUV doesn't seem to have any real clue, but they also don't seem terribly amenable to getting a clue, either, because "gently caress y'all, got ours!". It's sick as hell, really, being so grossly cavalier and playing the fool in their speeches like they do while the country devolves into something out of Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower (my literary benchmark for how bad a country can collapse under its own hubris, denial, and ideology).

Hanging and shooting would be too good for them; drop them all in the ocean and tell them to work together to get back to shore and they'll be forgiven. Odds are, they'll all drown trying to ratfuck each other anyway :smug: .

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I think the whole situation is especially egregious because it seems to be due less to well-meaning yet bumbling incompetence, and is more due to a disregard for the state of affairs that almost verges on sneering maliciousness. Like, yes, the PSUV doesn't seem to have any real clue, but they also don't seem terribly amenable to getting a clue, either, because "gently caress y'all, got ours!". It's sick as hell, really, being so grossly cavalier and playing the fool in their speeches like they do while the country devolves into something out of Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower (my literary benchmark for how bad a country can collapse under its own hubris, denial, and ideology).

Hanging and shooting would be too good for them; drop them all in the ocean and tell them to work together to get back to shore and they'll be forgiven. Odds are, they'll all drown trying to ratfuck each other anyway :smug: .

I think it's less bumbling incompetence and maliciousness rather than sheer bunker mentality as someone put it a couple of posts ago. Try to see it this way, we're dealing with a bunch of people who've basically ran the country like kings for a long time now and pretty much every solution to our current crisis would involve cutting off some of their income. In order to combat crime, you'd need to crack down on the drug trade, and the nephews of the current first lady are being tried for cocaine trafficking. Solving the shortages would mean getting rid of price controls, which are basically a money printing factory for these people. They get dollars at Bs6 or 10 per each one and then they can resell them for Bs1100, enabling them to live like royalty while still stashing a few away on their offshore accounts, and so on and on.

Plus, a lot of these people are going away to prison once there's a democratic government in place, so they don't have any incentive to fasten that process. In the end, there will be a government change in Venezuela, but to get to it we will either have to go through a violent process, or negotiate with a lot of people who have no incentive to turn on each other.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mukip posted:

I'm fascinated by the government of Venezuela. I'm trying to get into the frame of mind of somebody who has screwed up this badly, and must surely know that there is no future for them or their country as long as they are in charge, but instead of resigning they think "nope, gonna ride this train off the cliff". I cannot imagine what they think their end-game must be at this point. I really hope somebody somebody does a bunch of interviews with them in 10+ years time, when their government has gone and the heat has died down. I want to know what's going down in the Chavista bunker and how they rationalized their behaviour at the time. "One more slogan-laden speech blaming the USA will turn things around".

The government are essentially the villains of Atlas Shrugged.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd make an argument about maliciousness being a big part of it, too.

I mean you can run a country in corruption, live like a king and still do a half decent job at it, much more viable when the oil prices were so much in our favor.

The PSUV just seems to want to pee on everything to mark as their own because they have a giant inferiority complex.

And there's really no defending Diosdado who's just an evil poo poo. I'm usually all about pacifism but if he gets the Ghadafi treatment I wouldn't mind one loving bit.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd make an argument about maliciousness being a big part of it, too.

I mean you can run a country in corruption, live like a king and still do a half decent job at it, much more viable when the oil prices were so much in our favor.

The PSUV just seems to want to pee on everything to mark as their own because they have a giant inferiority complex.

And there's really no defending Diosdado who's just an evil poo poo. I'm usually all about pacifism but if he gets the Ghadafi treatment I wouldn't mind one loving bit.

I'm all about reconciliation and all that crap, but seriously, gently caress that guy. I sincerely hope he ends up in prison and without a cent to his name.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I wonder what effect the current crises have had on the living standards of Venezuela's elite anyway. Do they just earmark a portion of imported things for themselves? Buy smuggled stuff on the black market?

If embezzled money can only insulate you so much from a failing state, it could lead to the more midranking officials defecting as things get worse.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

William Bear posted:

I wonder what effect the current crises have had on the living standards of Venezuela's elite anyway. Do they just earmark a portion of imported things for themselves? Buy smuggled stuff on the black market?

If embezzled money can only insulate you so much from a failing state, it could lead to the more midranking officials defecting as things get worse.

They send planes every week to Aruba to do all their shopping, I have first hand knowledge of this btw.

Cilia Flores, the president's wife, also travels all the time to Milan and Paris to shop for clothes and jewelry.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

That supports my point: if it takes a plane to go shopping, only the highest-ranking officials and those close to them are going to be able to do that. How long do the others stay loyal?

It would be interesting to hear more about your personal knowledge of Venezuela's leaders' shopping habits, if it would be safe for you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

William Bear posted:

That supports my point: if it takes a plane to go shopping, only the highest-ranking officials and those close to them are going to be able to do that. How long do the others stay loyal?

It would be interesting to hear more about your personal knowledge of Venezuela's leaders' shopping habits, if it would be safe for you.

probaly not. I am sure they have enough friends in china/russia that they can keep their personal financial well being. if poo poo gets bad(worse) like a revolution starts and they start gunning people down in the street. then the west or at least the US will freez alot of their assets.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Labradoodle posted:

I think it's less bumbling incompetence and maliciousness rather than sheer bunker mentality as someone put it a couple of posts ago. Try to see it this way, we're dealing with a bunch of people who've basically ran the country like kings for a long time now and pretty much every solution to our current crisis would involve cutting off some of their income. In order to combat crime, you'd need to crack down on the drug trade, and the nephews of the current first lady are being tried for cocaine trafficking. Solving the shortages would mean getting rid of price controls, which are basically a money printing factory for these people. They get dollars at Bs6 or 10 per each one and then they can resell them for Bs1100, enabling them to live like royalty while still stashing a few away on their offshore accounts, and so on and on.

Plus, a lot of these people are going away to prison once there's a democratic government in place, so they don't have any incentive to fasten that process. In the end, there will be a government change in Venezuela, but to get to it we will either have to go through a violent process, or negotiate with a lot of people who have no incentive to turn on each other.

I agree the bunker mentality is a factor, but I think it takes a certain vainglorious, disconnected nastiness for Maduro and his crew to make the speeches and engage in the ideological theatrics they do while misery and deprivation increases, people suffer and die, and a cataclysm of crises forms that will undoubtedly touch the nations in the region that border Venezuela. You don't maintain power through ignoring the problem or acting oblivious; Maduro knows what's up, and probably knows he should act in decisive (if painful) ways, but he chooses not to. Half of it is bunker mentality, but half of it might as well be the feeling he gets from being in the thrall of power and wealth and dictating the fates of millions of people.

Paraphrasing Hugoon Chavez, even a cynical and corrupt regime can usually keep food on the shelves while enriching itself. That Maduro's regime can't seem to do that suggests two things to me; either Venezuela exists in a state of its aggregate competence and incompetence cancelling each other out to maintain a baseline (albeit a low and unstable one), or Maduro is happily allowing the nation to go against the grindstone in order to keep it weak, desperate, and unable to fight his looming (or it already de facto?) dictatorship. I admit that sounds conspiratorial, but I know that if I were in his place, I'd be looking for fire extinguishers and turning over the government's couch cushions for spare change to try and stop the damage.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The PSUV governor of Nueva Esparta state, Carlos Mata Figueroa, made some troubling comments today regarding the recall referendum process.

He parroted Diosdado Cabello's repeated calls that any management-level government employee found to have signed in favour of the recall referendum should be fired from their jobs. Figueroa said:

quote:

Whoever signed and has a management-level job must be fired, and quickly. I’m telling you that this list with your name and last name is coming, because this is a public matter. This isn’t a secret.
He took the idea further, though, by suggesting that people who are on waiting lists to receive subsidized housing should be removed from those lists if they signed in favour of the referendum:

quote:

Whoever signed and [is also] on the list to receive a home cannot receive a home. How can they be given homes if they don’t want any of that?
Yesterday, one of the CNE rectors said that they didn't plan to release the list of signatures, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the list (and the ones that are coming up as the process continues) will one day be released. In 2003, when the opposition launched a recall referendum process against Chavez, he ordered the list of signatures released and lots of people suffered tremendous harm for simply exercising their constitutional rights.

I don't have the link handy, but Maduro made several rants like this one leading up to - and in the aftermath of - the parliamentary election. While no voter list has been released, it's also troubling to think that with how close the CNE and the government are, the CNE might be more than happy to provide voter information to the PSUV.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I agree the bunker mentality is a factor, but I think it takes a certain vainglorious, disconnected nastiness for Maduro and his crew to make the speeches and engage in the ideological theatrics they do while misery and deprivation increases, people suffer and die, and a cataclysm of crises forms that will undoubtedly touch the nations in the region that border Venezuela. You don't maintain power through ignoring the problem or acting oblivious; Maduro knows what's up, and probably knows he should act in decisive (if painful) ways, but he chooses not to. Half of it is bunker mentality, but half of it might as well be the feeling he gets from being in the thrall of power and wealth and dictating the fates of millions of people.

Paraphrasing Hugoon Chavez, even a cynical and corrupt regime can usually keep food on the shelves while enriching itself. That Maduro's regime can't seem to do that suggests two things to me; either Venezuela exists in a state of its aggregate competence and incompetence cancelling each other out to maintain a baseline (albeit a low and unstable one), or Maduro is happily allowing the nation to go against the grindstone in order to keep it weak, desperate, and unable to fight his looming (or it already de facto?) dictatorship. I admit that sounds conspiratorial, but I know that if I were in his place, I'd be looking for fire extinguishers and turning over the government's couch cushions for spare change to try and stop the damage.

I honestly dont think he is smart enough for the latter. I think he is probably one(along with the rest of his cabal) that can''t bring themselves to relize the Grand bolivarian/socialist republic failed and it failed because it was poo poo and that they were idiots who couldn't keep it running. but they double down because they know they can't turn back now and if they surrender power, they are hosed. so they go full steam ahead. while chavez was a smart enough con-man. he was stupid enough to put true believers in charge. now the true believers are in full control.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Yeah I can't go into too much detail in case Borneo Jimmy sends my info to the PSUV but I'll say I can't sign the "revocatorio" and a lot of my family members can't do it either because like Chuck Boone said they are going to publish the list of those who signed and we can't afford that sadly.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I honestly dont think he is smart enough for the latter. I think he is probably one(along with the rest of his cabal) that can''t bring themselves to relize the Grand bolivarian/socialist republic failed and it failed because it was poo poo and that they were idiots who couldn't keep it running. but they double down because they know they can't turn back now and if they surrender power, they are hosed. so they go full steam ahead. while chavez was a smart enough con-man. he was stupid enough to put true believers in charge. now the true believers are in full control.

I think we're hitting a point of controversy in our pathologizing venting at Maduro, because I'd contend that what you're suggesting here would require self-reflection and actual investment in Chavist thought. I suspect Maduro's political career and thought has been of how to gain more power and wealth, and any professed ideological belief is a means to an end. It's not like Maduro has to be some spider mastermind behind the presidential desk, spinning intricate plots and directing covert actions through the web of government; inaction, pettiness, vindictive retribution, and slamming the hammer down with abandon don't require a lot of mental finesse. Finesse helps, of course, but so long as no one actually stops Maduro and his lackies and ignores their dictates, his march to absolute power can continue.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I'd be perfectly willing to participate in some Mossad like poo poo and track the scumbags of the Bolivarian Revolution down from wherever they end up hiding at, when the country eventually collapses. I'd follow them to the end of the world. If they tell me to put my life on the line to track down Diosdado, I would do it no questions asked.

That's just how much hate I feel for those motherfuckers, and I know I'm not alone in feeling like that. We can't let them get away with it when poo poo eventually goes down.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

U.S. intelligence officials: Venezuela could be headed for collapse

quote:

Venezuela, where clashes erupted this week between security forces and demonstrators protesting food shortages, power blackouts and political gridlock, may be headed toward an all-out popular uprising that could lead to the overthrow of its government this year, senior U.S. intelligence officials said.

“You can hear the ice cracking,” an intelligence official said. “You know there’s a crisis coming.”

Disaster is pending in Venezuela at the same time the Obama administration believes that it has vastly improved U.S. standing in Latin America, compared with the days when political and economic turmoil in the hemisphere was blamed, sometimes with reason, on either interference or disregard by Washington.

There have been many times over the past two decades when the United States has wished for the demise of the left-wing Bolivarian revolution begun by former Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez and carried on since 2013 by his successor, Nicolás Maduro. The Obama administration and its predecessor have charged the government in Caracas with corruption, human rights abuses and drug smuggling, among other things, and have supported the political opposition.

But policymakers think there is little they can now do to change the fast-deteriorating situation. The main U.S. concern is that a major Latin American country does not collapse.

The days of America rooting for the ouster of Chávez and his revolutionary movement “are over,” the intelligence official said. Now, “it’s not really the case that the United States is rooting for any outcome, other than that it’s not an outbreak of political violence. You’d have to be insane not to worry.”

The senior intelligence officials, who briefed a small group of reporters, spoke on the condition of anonymity under ground rules set by the government.

The opposition has organized a petition drive to recall Maduro. But his government, which still controls the levers of power despite an opposition victory in December’s parliamentary elections, has taken steps to delay verification of signatures supporting a recall referendum.

If Maduro was to lose a referendum held before Jan. 10, new elections could be called. If it was after that, the vice president would replace Maduro and hold office until the end of the current presidential term in 2019.

Economic problems, however, may lead to a full-fledged uprising before the political drama plays itself out, according to U.S. intelligence analysis. Mismanagement and a 69 percent drop in the price of Venezuelan oil — the source of virtually all state income — have left the government unable to cover imports and its substantial foreign debt.

Inflation, at around 700 percent, is the highest in the world. The worst drought in half a century has led to water and electricity shortages, with rolling blackouts and government-imposed furloughs for state workers.

Severe shortages of food, medicine and consumer goods, with hours-long lines to purchase basic commodities, led this week to widespread looting that was met with tear gas fired by security forces. Opposition-led protesters took to the streets, demanding that Maduro step down.

Chavez had used high oil profits in past years to address the country’s widespread poverty and illiteracy and consolidate his control. But by the time his presidency ended with his death from cancer in 2013, high-level corruption was rife, income was falling and violence was spreading.

The intelligence officials outlined three possible change-of-government scenarios. The failure of this year’s recall referendum could lead to another petition next year. But the opposition — itself divided and ill-disciplined — has been a disappointment to the Obama administration.

Second, there could be a “palace coup” in which some members of Maduro’s government move to oust him with the help of some segment of the military.

The third possible scenario is a military move, possibly led by lower-ranking officers and enlisted members who also are feeling the economic pinch, to remove the government altogether.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5f9a_story.html

Those sound like lovely options.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

William Bear posted:

U.S. intelligence officials: Venezuela could be headed for collapse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5f9a_story.html

Those sound like lovely options.

it sounds like the best option is 1. but it seems unlikly to happen unless Maduro on the opposition. 2 might happen but my guess is Maduro surrounds himself with loyalists.

3 would have Venezuela go the way of Egypt, replacing one monster with another monster and then another monster.

also the comments like most news comments are poo poo.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
On the news front. Earlier today Maduro decreed an extension to the economic emergency decree and declared a state of exception as pertaining to the economy. Essentially, he's giving himself the power to continue doing whatever the hell he wants. which is exactly what they would do even without said decree.

Legally, the extension should have gone through the Assembly, which denied the decree in the first place. But Maduro is all out of fucks to give about pretenses I guess, so he skipped the process of asking the Assembly and then getting the Supreme Court to approve it anyways once they shot it down.

Also, several news sources have been saying the Supreme Court has a ruling ready to go which would dissolve the directive of the Assembly. If that were to happen I assume that they wouldn't let the Assembly choose another directive and instead would appoint one themselves, but who knows?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
It's a dictatorship in everything but name.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe
Voting against PSUV is coup via ballot box. The only way to protect democracy is to make sure that Maduro remains dictator for life.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Parliamentary-Coups-the-New-Strategy-of-Latin-Americas-Right-20160512-0027.html

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

M. Discordia posted:

Voting against PSUV is coup via ballot box. The only way to protect democracy is to make sure that Maduro remains dictator for life.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Parliamentary-Coups-the-New-Strategy-of-Latin-Americas-Right-20160512-0027.html

The attempted coup in 2002 against Chavez was an attempted coup, but Chavez's attempted coup in 1992 was ??? not mentioned. Nicaragua is also conveniently not mentioned.

Edit: I guess they could get around this by saying "we were just talking about post-2000". In which case it's still a dumb argument but not as hypocritical (unless there are other examples that I'm not aware of).

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

themrguy posted:

Hey Jimmy why do you think every actual Venezuelan ITT disagrees with you?

It's a little hard to take them seriously when this is the level of discourse,

El Hefe posted:

gently caress you borneo jimmy you loving moron
I try and engage in a serious discussion, sharing news articles and the right wing posters in this thread just engage in name calling. Plus, they post white bourgeois shibboleths like this:

El Hefe posted:

Because of Chavez, he said time and time again that being rich is bad and that stealing from them was fine, and to a guy who grew up poor as dirt anyone with a cellphone and or a car is rich. You have no idea the hate culture Chavez created.

Patria, Socialismo o Muerte, that's their motto after all.

I think most serious analysts will agree that the violence is related to the drug trade, not that the poors have gotten too uppity because Chavez hurt a bunch of oligarchs feelings with his correct critiques of capitalist power structures. I think even fox news would consider that theory too ridiculous.

fnox posted:

You're aware that in these 17 years of socialism, 250000 Venezuelans have been violently murdered by the rampant crime, of which the government is entirely negligent about? Are you aware Caracas is the most dangerous city in the world? Are you aware that these collectives are armed illegally? Are you aware that the areas they supposedly protect are the most dangerous of the entire city?

Does this look fine to you? Is this what you want the colectivos to do with Venezuelan society? Are you aware that Venezuela doesn't even have legal gun carry laws anymore and thus any civilian holding them is doing so illegally? I don't want your stupid loving TelesurTV links, I want you to cut the poo poo and be honest with me here, what are you trying to accomplish? What is your goal? Is somebody paying you or are you continuing this charade for shits and giggles?

:toxx: me on this, if you come to Venezuela, I'll take you to where the Colectivo La Piedrita is in 23 de Enero, I'll even let them protect the gently caress out of you.

So you refuse to actually respond to the links I posted and just went "look at this picture of these brown-skinned savages!" Again the socialists are trying to protect their communities from fascist death squads. From the interview which you chose to ignore because I guess god forbid somebody introduce alternate viewpoints to your "safe space":

quote:

If the fascists were in power we wouldn’t be talking about the dozens of deaths we’ve had so far, we’d be talking thousands. And that’s not paranoia, that’s a historic reality – we’ve seen examples in Chile, in Argentina under that dictatorship. The aim then, of this demonisation is to justify our elimination if these violent groups came into power.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
gently caress off

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Anyone who engages that guy in actual conversation is as much of a moron as he is

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

El Hefe posted:

gently caress off

Do you have a source to back up your claim that crime in Venezuela is caused by the poor envying the rich?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Criticizing that Chavez and everyone else in the PSUV constantly saying on national television that stealing from "rich" people is OK somehow makes me an ultra right wing nutjob

gently caress you

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

El Hefe posted:

Criticizing that Chavez and everyone else in the PSUV constantly saying on national television that stealing from "rich" people is OK somehow makes me an ultra right wing nutjob

Correct, besides the PSUV is being far too timid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZxelSc62Y

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
You're scum Jimmy you're worse than poo poo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I try and engage in a serious discussion, sharing news articles and the right wing posters in this thread just engage in name calling. Plus, they post white bourgeois shibboleths like this:

You're the whitest, most bourgeois fucker there ever was.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It looks like the Nueva Esparta governor is making good on his comments that people who want to recall Maduro shouldn't receive housing benefits -- and apparently, food.

Reporte Confidencial published an article today in which it claims to have been contacted by people who identified as "housewives", who said that they went to buy food at a supermarket but that the National Guard soldiers stationed there were forcing people to sign a form saying they were against the recall before they were allowed to take their food home. One of the women said:

quote:

Today, they wouldn't let people who'd gone to buy rice leave unless they signed a form that said that they didn't want the referendum. Some people managed to sneak by the guards but others were forced [to sign]".
Another source told the website that governor Figueroa had repeated the comments I posted about earlier at an event where he was handing out subsidized housing units. The source said:

quote:

Once again, [governor] Mata Figueroa spent his time blackmailing people, saying that those homes would be the last ones he would give out because if the referendum took place [there would be no more homes], and he said that people should go out on the streets to protest against the referendum.
Jimmy, if you're genuinely interested in having a discussion about Venezuela, this thread thing just isn't working for you. I've made this offer to you in the past (and you've ignored me), and I'll make it again: I'd be happy to chat with you over PM or e-mail about these issues. I'd even be happy to set up Skype chats. Send me a PM.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Borneo Jimmy posted:

So you refuse to actually respond to the links I posted and just went "look at this picture of these brown-skinned savages!" Again the socialists are trying to protect their communities from fascist death squads. From the interview which you chose to ignore because I guess god forbid somebody introduce alternate viewpoints to your "safe space":

Fine, since you just won't quit it until you're banned:

In 22 years of living in Venezuela, I've yet to see anything resembling a fascist death squad. I have never, in my entire life, seen a CIA agent, or armed members of the opposition, or any armed citizens that weren't either bodyguards, thugs, or colectivos. Although those last two are synonymous, so yeah. I can go to the morgue at Bello Monte right now, I can literally drive to it, and ask where did today's murder victims (Because statistically, if I go there any day of the week, there WILL be at least one) get killed, I can assure you, it won't be at Prados del Este, it won't be at Chacao, it will be at these colectivo controlled barrios.

Who, exactly, are they being protected from? Because it seems the thugs come from the areas they're supposed to protect. Must it be because creating paramilitaries like the colectivos is a tactic that has been tried and failed multiple times as proven by the drat CIA?

And bitch, you're white as gently caress. I am Venezuelan, don't project your American race sensibilities and insecurities on me.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe

Saladman posted:

The attempted coup in 2002 against Chavez was an attempted coup, but Chavez's attempted coup in 1992 was ??? not mentioned. Nicaragua is also conveniently not mentioned.

Edit: I guess they could get around this by saying "we were just talking about post-2000". In which case it's still a dumb argument but not as hypocritical (unless there are other examples that I'm not aware of).

They're seriously not even talking about actual coups but about a "legislative coup" i.e. the people of Venezuela committing a "coup" by voting against the PSUV. This is how leftists think. There is no cure.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

fnox posted:

Who, exactly, are they being protected from?

Colombian paramilitaries. http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/The-Infiltration-of-Colombian-Paramilitaries-into-Venezuela-20150824-0005.html

And you say that the opposition doesn't have armed groups, but then who is behind the constant assassinations of socialist politicians and activists?

Here's one example of the opposition's ties to armed groups

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11961

quote:

The gang “Los Picures” was involved in a series of hired killings, kidnappings, and vehicle hijackings, even exercising control in local construction mafias and carrying out extortion amongst campesino groups in the countryside.

“They were extremely well organised, this gang aimed to create ‘exclusive zones’ in Guarico and they were achieving it,” said state Governor Ramón Rodríguez Chacín on Tuesday.

The politician went on to state that the gang emerged as a splinter group from previous governor Luis Enrique Gallardo’s inner circle of bodyguards and alleged that they had links to far-right organisations, as well as to the political parties “The Popular Will” and “Democratic Action”.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Colombian paramilitaries. http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/The-Infiltration-of-Colombian-Paramilitaries-into-Venezuela-20150824-0005.html

And you say that the opposition doesn't have armed groups, but then who is behind the constant assassinations of socialist politicians and activists?

Colombian paramilitaries. In Caracas?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

On the news front. Earlier today Maduro decreed an extension to the economic emergency decree and declared a state of exception as pertaining to the economy. Essentially, he's giving himself the power to continue doing whatever the hell he wants. which is exactly what they would do even without said decree.

Does the state of exception apply only to the economy? Or is it a blanket measure, sort of like what we in North America might call a state of emergency? Reuters has a piece on this, by the way.

Maduro signed the state of exception last night on live television, and here's his explanation for doing it:

quote:

... for the protection of our people, to guarantee peace, to guarantee stability, so that in the coming months - May, June, July, and throughout 2016 and probably 2017 - recover the country's productive capacity, attend to our people, strengthen CLAP [a program that delivers food directly to people's homes], strengthen the tools for the misiones and gran misiones, and above all else, to prepare, denounce, neutralize and defeat every external, foreign aggression that has been initiated against our country.
If you have any idea what that means, please let me know and I'd be really grateful.

It's really, really hard to try to make sense of what's happening in the country from a logical standpoint. Is the state of exception in effect for May, June and July, or all of 2016? Or all of 2017? Of course, at no point did Maduro provide any kind of explanation on 1) what exactly this "foreign aggression" is or where it's coming from, and 2) what measures entail the state of exception, and how he will use them to help anything.

Sometimes I think the PSUV is playing some four-dimensional chess here and is just using the governance version of the Chewbacca defense to just confuse everyone into submission.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Oh yeah sure because the word of Ramon Rodriguez Chacin, former Minister of the Interior and participant in the '92 coup can for sure be trusted. He's showing ALL the evidence right there.

What the gently caress do Colombian paramilitaries have to do with Caracas? Are you aware how loving far away Caracas is from the border? Why are there colectivos in Caracas then? Who are they protecting, and from what?

I'll ask you the exact same drat question, who's behind the constant assassination of opposition figures? How come you're so loving certain that German Mavare from UNT was killed because of his supposed ties to the drug trade but Robert Serra, who is both involved with the colectivos and the government, wasn't? How come Robert Serra's murder was a heinous crime, but German Mavare or Luis Manuel Díaz had it coming? Why are you such a hypocrite in this matter? Why is it only a crime when it inconveniences your agenda?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the spectacle of an american born into wealth and security in the richest country on earth telling south americans that their pleas to not be robbed and murdered by a kleptocratic dictatorship are reactionary and bourgeois will never, never get old to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the spectacle of an american born into wealth and security in the richest country on earth telling south americans that their pleas to not be robbed and murdered by a kleptocratic dictatorship are reactionary and bourgeois will never, never get old to me

How many of those Che Guevara t-shirts do you think someone like that has to own before they earn the right to tell people in Latin America who should govern over them?