Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

A genius today ran some reassignment rules in SFDC for all support cases in the middle of the day. Result no one globally can edit or create support tickets for the past 5 hours. This is someone who always does this and who knows to only do this at the weekend even if begged by the business. Best part is dealing with the shitstorm that is C level people demanding we get SFDC Support to stop the process so people can work and when being told by them that it is not possible them flipping out. If you want total control over a system don't use a cloud product and also don't just give every idiot on the help desk sys admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Has anyone done a wellness check on larchesdanrew? No posts in ~3 weeks, hope he's doing ok!

For content, my company got crypto'd, again. This is now the 3rd time in 6 weeks, plus we had the whole W2 debacle where payroll sent the entire company's W2s to a scammer, who preceded to file tax returns on everyones' behalf. Also, we found out yesterday that when our helpdesk manager left 6 months ago he didn't automate pushing out Windows updates, so for the past 24 hours all PCs have had to suffer through catching up on 6 months of outstanding updates. It's truly been a wonderful week/month/quarter.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hoopaloops posted:

Has anyone done a wellness check on larchesdanrew? No posts in ~3 weeks, hope he's doing ok!

For content, my company got crypto'd, again. This is now the 3rd time in 6 weeks, plus we had the whole W2 debacle where payroll sent the entire company's W2s to a scammer, who preceded to file tax returns on everyones' behalf. Also, we found out yesterday that when our helpdesk manager left 6 months ago he didn't automate pushing out Windows updates, so for the past 24 hours all PCs have had to suffer through catching up on 6 months of outstanding updates. It's truly been a wonderful week/month/quarter.

If your last guy didnt setup WSUS loo into setting that up now. It's a quick easy setup, even with the GPOs to point PCs toward your update server. Can really help you with approving patches and getting them quickly deployed.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hoopaloops posted:

payroll sent the entire company's W2s to a scammer, who preceded to file tax returns on everyones' behalf.

Holy poo poo how even I just can't

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Hoopaloops posted:

we had the whole W2 debacle where payroll sent the entire company's W2s to a scammer, who preceded to file tax returns on everyones' behalf.

enjoy your free credit checks

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Hoopaloops posted:

plus we had the whole W2 debacle where payroll sent the entire company's W2s to a scammer, who preceded to file tax returns on everyones' behalf.

Jesus loving Christ.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Hoopaloops posted:

You wouldn't happen to work for a monitoring company on the East Coast, would you? If not, that's one hell of a coincidence since they also managed to send all their W2s to some rear end in a top hat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
id imagine that kind of poo poo happens entirely too often

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You wouldn't happen to work for a monitoring company on the East Coast, would you? If not, that's one hell of a coincidence since they also managed to send all their W2s to some rear end in a top hat.

I will avoid getting specific but I wouldn't really describe us as a monitoring company. It's definitely a seasonal scam that's getting pretty common, so I guess I'm glad to hear there are other people falling for it to?

The joke's on whoever wanted to file my tax return though - enjoy owing Uncle Sam a pile of cash! I'm more worried about my SSN being out there, that's something that I think will definitely come back to haunt me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Customer complaining about slow DSL speeds

quote:

Please, if we can, bypass the idiotic steps here. I'm an electrical engineer with quite a bit of computing and network knowledge.

Can't wait to see how this ends.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"My ADSL is slow when everybody is in the office"
"Yup"

There's not really much else you can do for people in that situation.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

kensei posted:

:10bux: says power-cycling the modem fixes the issue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

"My ADSL is slow when everybody is in the office"
"Yup"

There's not really much else you can do for people in that situation.

Yes and the roads are slow when everyone is driving.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaethela posted:

:10bux: says power-cycling the modem fixes the issue.
:20bux: says even if you tell him to do that, there's no way an electrical engineer with quite a bit of computing and network knowledge is going to actually do it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Hoopaloops posted:

I will avoid getting specific but I wouldn't really describe us as a monitoring company. It's definitely a seasonal scam that's getting pretty common, so I guess I'm glad to hear there are other people falling for it to?

The joke's on whoever wanted to file my tax return though - enjoy owing Uncle Sam a pile of cash! I'm more worried about my SSN being out there, that's something that I think will definitely come back to haunt me.

At my buddy's company it was the frontdesk lady/receptionist that apparently sent the data out. She still works there, somehow.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hoopaloops posted:

If you haven't already lock down your credit bureau files. My Identity hasn't been compromised that I know of but I still did it for the peace of mind.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kensei posted:

Ticket closed, grass is green.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
idk where to even put this, but this is the kind of poo poo my dad sends me on the regular even though I haven't kept up with pc hardware in over a decade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Toshimo posted:

idk where to even put this, but this is the kind of poo poo my dad sends me on the regular even though I haven't kept up with pc hardware in over a decade.

Buy a ChromeBook. Good luck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We nearly fried a co-op kid today.

He was given a laptop power adapter to test with a multimeter, and after verifying it was putting out 19V, he for some reason tried to test just the mickey mouse cable, i.e. he did the equivalent of poking the tester prongs directly into the wall socket.

Luckily he managed to not actually shock himself in the process and the surge arrester on the workbench had a built-in circuit breaker.

I don't blame the kid, I blame the person who gave him the task without making sure he'd been trained how to do it properly.

I can still smell the burnt wire.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Hoopaloops posted:

I'm more worried about my SSN being out there, that's something that I think will definitely come back to haunt me.

Welcome to the world of everyone who has had to get government clearance with the good old US government. Twice now my entire life history has been taken by chinese hackers/spammers. SSN, entire credit check information, history of all addresses I've lived at. It is awesome.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenNight posted:

Yes and the roads are slow when everyone is driving.

The road is no slower than it has ever been. Its position is fixed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

The road is no slower than it has ever been. Its position is fixed.

I'm fixed and the world moves around me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If the road is a treadmill does the car take off

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Entropic posted:

He was given a laptop power adapter to test with a multimeter, and after verifying it was putting out 19V, he for some reason tried to test just the mickey mouse cable, i.e. he did the equivalent of poking the tester prongs directly into the wall socket.

Luckily he managed to not actually shock himself in the process and the surge arrester on the workbench had a built-in circuit breaker.

I don't blame the kid, I blame the person who gave him the task without making sure he'd been trained how to do it properly.

This is a dumb question from someone who has very little high voltage electrical knowledge: Why was this a problem? Is 120V way too much for a multimeter or something? Did he short it out? I get that it would be enough to kill him if something went wrong, but isn't testing wall outlets with a multimeter something people regularly do?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

wa27 posted:

This is a dumb question from someone who has very little high voltage electrical knowledge: Why was this a problem? Is 120V way too much for a multimeter or something? Did he short it out? I get that it would be enough to kill him if something went wrong, but isn't testing wall outlets with a multimeter something people regularly do?

This is bad in multiple ways. In this case, it sounds like too much current was pushed through the multimeter causing the wires/circuit board to melt across and short (which caused a fire). Compounding this, your basic POS multimeter isn't even setup to protect itself from from AC current as they are used to test DC electronics and not power distribution systems.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Khisanth Magus posted:

Welcome to the world of everyone who has had to get government clearance with the good old US government. Twice now my entire life history has been taken by chinese hackers/spammers. SSN, entire credit check information, history of all addresses I've lived at. It is awesome.

Same here, but the icing on my cake is after all that I was also denied the clearance. Yay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wa27 posted:

Yes, it is, but since he was testing DC he probably didn't switch the multimeter to AC mode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wa27 posted:

You can test wall outlets with correctly set up equipment, but if you do it wrong you might as well be sticking a fork in the outlet and you'll have a dead short. Which in any competently wired modern building is just going to trip a circuit breaker pretty quickly, but not before you potentially fry whatever you were shorting the circuit with and if you were touching the circuit you will give yourself a very nasty shock.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Entropic posted:

Some kid in my Tech-Ed class kept blowing the breaker every time he tried powering on his mock-up home wiring project. Took 3 times before the teacher went over and found out he had wired the hot straight to the ground.

This was important because the breaker he was tripping was on the same circuit as the entire CAD bay, 16 PCs and attendant heavy equipment all power cycling at the same time.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm still violently angry about that. I've actually had to sit down with the family and teach them how to avoid questions about me, my job, or other poo poo like that from 'friends' on the internet.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
We've been getting hammered with this lovely e-mail based Locky attack at work:
https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/spam-malware-emailing-photo-05-11-2016-82-95-82-delivers-locky/
It began showing up in non-work mailboxes, so I make the assumption it wasn't just directed at where I work/wider community it resides in, and is infact a giant shotgun approach.

As normal I do a little write up on it for work, and because I know my family members are just itching to click on mysterious attachments in e-mails I do a slightly less technical, slightly more "don't loving click on this poo poo no matter how curious you are." on faceblook.

My only response is some fairly distant relative who I'm not even friends with asking why she can't play games or watch movies on facebook.
Which I didn't answer fast enough for my mom so she called me to complain.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Hoopaloops posted:

He's fine. Just checked a few minutes ago.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Malek posted:

He's fine. Just checked a few minutes ago.

please let him out of your basement.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

That is none of your concern.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bricked in behind box after box of Buffaloes...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That's entrapment.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

No.

(Seriously though, he's fine.)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

BigPaddy posted:

If you want total control over a system don't use a cloud product and also don't just give every idiot on the help desk sys admin.

Besides contractors, I'm amazed nothing got razed to the ground when the business wanted someone else completely untrained to have admin right to make "Changes". Luckily he only made half baked non functional workflows, but his legacy was hundreds of thousands of lead imports with zero de-duplication which still stands today. I want draw a line in the sand and nuke older data from orbit, but management being very sales oriented want to keep it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm alive. I still lurk the thread daily.

• Locked thread