Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thomas pynchon posted:

Man, I came in here to talk about ZERO K and then I realized everybody hates ZERO K.

Last really great novel I read was WOLF IN WHITE VAN by John Darnielle, but I'm an obsessive Mountain Goats fan, so I'm kind of predisposed.

Hopeful for ZERO K. DeLillo's my dude.

I don't think you're the real thomas pynchon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mdemone posted:

YOU GET THE HELL OUT AND DONT COME BACK UNTIL YOU SENT A DRAFT TO THE PUBLISHER

For the first half of this post I thought that was just a reasonable response to the quotation, then I figured he must be like, a TCC toxx or something,

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

For the first half of this post I thought that was just a reasonable response to the quotation, then I figured he must be like, a TCC toxx or something,

I have no idea what most of those words mean.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Man it must suck to not know "half", "thought" "reasonable" and "response" but to recognize instantly the acronym for SA's lovely writing subforum. mmm ya, that's a bazinga.

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

Man it must suck to not know "half", "thought" "reasonable" and "response" but to recognize instantly the acronym for SA's lovely writing subforum. mmm ya, that's a bazinga.

You seem like a really pleasant human being.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
what's going on

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

End Of Worlds posted:

what's going on

I couldn't tell you. I'll stay out of the Book Barn and go back to loving children, I guess.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Thomas Pynchon joins the forums, finds them not to his liking.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

thomas pynchon posted:

I couldn't tell you. I'll stay out of the Book Barn and go back to loving children, I guess.

The crying of poster 49

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Gravity's Re-reg

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whineland

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

V.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm choosing to believe that's really him.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Heath posted:

I'm choosing to believe that's really him.

Me too, just like when Michael Stipe started posting in rec.music.rem

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm glad I ran off lauded author Thomas Pynchon.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Account sharing is illegal.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Please, Thomas Pynchon is clearly noted poster Bananastomper69.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'd ask him to post a photo of himself to confirm the identity but

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This is me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

This is me.

Someone spent way too much time on that. But it does look about right, probably.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nanomashoes posted:

This is me.

This guy looks like he was in a 2000s adaptation of a fantasy novel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thank y'all for getting your Mishima on this month in the BOTM

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dont wanna mish' anything important

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gilead is a loving boring book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Gilead is a loving boring book

I will cut out your goddamn heart

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't give a poo poo about sad old preacher man. There's no goddamn storytelling

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

sad old preacher man

good username for pynchon rereg

or this

blue squares posted:

no goddamn storytelling

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Speaking of Pynchon, I'm about 800 pages into Against the Day and my motivation to read it has ranked. I am loving determined to finish it and I'm trying to read at least 10 pages a day but it's going to take me a month at this rate. This is probably the longest single story I've ever read and keeping track of the 25 simultaneous plot threads among the mathematical terminology and space-time bending is daunting the hell out of me even though I have enjoyed most of this novel.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read The Sailor Who Fell From Grace instead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Heath posted:

Speaking of Pynchon, I'm about 800 pages into Against the Day and my motivation to read it has ranked. I am loving determined to finish it and I'm trying to read at least 10 pages a day but it's going to take me a month at this rate. This is probably the longest single story I've ever read and keeping track of the 25 simultaneous plot threads among the mathematical terminology and space-time bending is daunting the hell out of me even though I have enjoyed most of this novel.

You're at the Eastern Europe and Central Asia parts, right? I can't imagine getting bored there, those are fantastic.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Picked up a few more David Vann books at the library this morning, and after flicking through them all I can say is WHERE ARE THE loving PICTURES?!

Very disappointed indeed.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

mdemone posted:

Someone spent way too much time on that. But it does look about right, probably.

Doesnt he have wild curly hair though, at least in that photo that leaked 6 years ago or something
Edit: Cant find the big version via google imagesearch anymore, hardto tell from small one, but at least his hair aint white

mallamp fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 14, 2016

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Picked up a few more David Vann books at the library this morning, and after flicking through them all I can say is WHERE ARE THE loving PICTURES?!

There weren't any pictures in the copy of Aquarium that I read. I had imagine what everything looked like, like a normal grown up who reads grown up books.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

High Warlord Zog posted:

There weren't any pictures in the copy of Aquarium that I read. I had imagine what everything looked like, like a normal grown up who reads grown up books.

Congratulations, you must be so proud.

Did you imagine what everything looked like or had you already imagined?

Or you had to imagine what everything looked like.

Grown-ups can do grammar.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mallamp posted:

Doesnt he have wild curly hair though, at least in that photo that leaked 6 years ago or something
Edit: Cant find the big version via google imagesearch anymore, hardto tell from small one, but at least his hair aint white

Apparently he looks like Kurt Vonnegut. He had his front teeth fixed at some point.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's the only time botm has coincided with a thing i actually want to read and turns out this book is good and the botm posters probbaly have bad opinions about it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

SHout out s to my boy mel Mudkiper fpr pointing out that the themes of the book by fascist bodybuilder and suicide man Yukio Mishima that obsessively talks entirely about beuty and death are probably beauty and death.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

SHout out s to my boy mel Mudkiper fpr pointing out that the themes of the book by fascist bodybuilder and suicide man Yukio Mishima that obsessively talks entirely about beuty and death are probably beauty and death.

happy to help

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If a book ever so much as suggests in a sort of direct manner what its themes are it doesn't belong in this thread for smart grownups.